IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th September 2021, 04:40 PM   #601
Pacal
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
At any rate, I'm done with this thread. I learned all I wanted to know, and then some, about the extent of liberal bias in this forum. Also, as mentioned before, very interesting display of the disconnected relationship between politics and morality. Thanks to all who contributed.
Absolutely pathetic, along with the martyr complex.

Oh and by the way what do you think about some of the Republicans embracing COVID like the Governors of Florida and Texas, or how about the crowd that cheered when Biden's vaccination goal wasn't reached, or how about those people who threaten School Board members. So many so-called Republicans seem to be embracing COVID has the death total goes up again.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2021, 05:12 PM   #602
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pacal View Post

Oh and by the way what do you think about some of the Republicans embracing COVID like the Governors of Florida and Texas, or how about the crowd that cheered when Biden's vaccination goal wasn't reached, or how about those people who threaten School Board members. So many so-called Republicans seem to be embracing COVID has the death total goes up again.
Good points. And let's not forget the people who have been shot and killed because some anti-masker got 'butt hurt' or 'humiliated' over being told to leave a store. Or the anti-maskers on planes who attack the flight attendants for doing their job. It seems to me they're the ones 'embracing Covid'.

It's not the vaccinated that are ending up in the hospitals and dying from Covid. Well, with the exception of children under 12 who can't be vaccinated yet. But, they're statistically irrelevant so why waste any tears on them?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2021, 05:18 PM   #603
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

At any rate, I'm done with this thread. I learned all I wanted to know, and then some, about the extent of liberal bias in this forum. Also, as mentioned before, very interesting display of the disconnected relationship between politics and morality. Thanks to all who contributed.
"I learned all I wanted to know"

True; you learned all you wanted to know.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2021, 05:22 PM   #604
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

At any rate, I'm done with this thread. .
I hope so, though I kinda doubt it. This thread is annoying as hell, as the premise is beyond moronic and yet people keep replying
Old 6th September 2021, 06:29 PM   #605
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gabeygoat View Post
I hope so, though I kinda doubt it. This thread is annoying as hell, as the premise is beyond moronic and yet people keep replying
I agree with your assessment of the original question, but the thread evolved beyond that in spite of Warp's repeated attempts to evade that evolution whenever
Old 6th September 2021, 08:42 PM   #606
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

To describe the problem with a little snark for clarity:

Wah... No one is answering like I want them to. Wah...
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2021, 09:54 PM   #607
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
To describe the problem with a little snark for clarity:

Wah... No one is answering like I want them to. Wah...
More like "no one wants to play my game while I change the rules every turn."

When you know someone will twist your words to fit their preconceived bias, why waste your time? Just let them declare themselves victor of their own little semantic championship.
Old 6th September 2021, 09:57 PM   #608
dirtywick
Illuminator

It's true, he's defined embracing COVID as refusing to play pretend with him while people are actually out there calling it a hoax or a common cold that we'll just have to learn to live with and when they do acknowledge the danger of COVID it's to the extend of ignoring medical advice and anti-vaccination stances, herd immunity, and pushing horse pills. who's embracing COVID?

yeah, Warp12, you're the reasonable one here. good job
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2021, 10:11 AM   #609
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Well, of course all that can be waved away because…

Wait for it…

This board has liberals!

Ooga booga!
Old 7th September 2021, 10:28 AM   #610
eerok
Quixoticist

I guess now we know that Democrats don't embrace covid. As if anyone actually wondered.
Old 7th September 2021, 10:30 AM   #611
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
More like "no one wants to play my game while I change the rules every turn."

When you know someone will twist your words to fit their preconceived bias, why waste your time? Just let them declare themselves victor of their own little semantic championship.
Then, when they're done, reply with "Danth's Law" and leave the conversation yourself. It's always worked for me. It should be noted that it can drive a few people irrationally nuts.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2021, 10:52 AM   #612
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Then, when they're done, reply with "Danth's Law" and leave the conversation yourself. It's always worked for me. It should be noted that it can drive a few people irrationally nuts.
For those of you who don't know what Danth's Law is: “If you have to insist that you've won an internet argument, you've probably lost badly.”
Old 7th September 2021, 10:59 AM   #613
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
For those of you who don't know what Danth's Law is: “If you have to insist that you've won an internet argument, you've probably lost badly.”
Thank you! I always forget to define because I use it on Twitter pretty consistently.

It's accurate though.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2021, 04:47 PM   #614
Pacal
Graduate Poster

[quote=Stacyhs;13591274]
If the Dems were out with "pitchforks and torches" it was in response to Trump's actions.

For example:

"By the end of his term, Trump had accumulated 30,573 untruths during his presidency — averaging about 21 erroneous claims a day." WAPO

"At a news conference after the summit, President Trump was asked if he believed his own intelligence agencies or the Russian president when it came to the allegations of meddling in the elections.

"President Putin says it's not Russia. I don't see any reason why it would be," he replied.

US intelligence agencies concluded in 2016 that Russia was behind an effort to tip the scale of the US election against Hillary Clinton, with a state-authorised campaign of cyber attacks and fake news stories planted on social media." BBC

"“I was really being tough - and so was he. And we would go back and forth,” Trump told a rally in West Virginia.

“And then we fell in love, okay? No, really - he wrote me beautiful letters, and they’re great letters,” he said." Reuters

"Kim Jong-un achieved the following results in the Singapore meeting:
Legitimization of his regime internationally, by meeting with and being the object of lavish praise by the president of the United States" Brookings

"Trump's team has argued against the release of the tax returns, alleging Democrats in the House were pursuing Trump for political reasons. Trump is asking the federal court to permanently block the Treasury Department from turning over his tax returns and to order Ways and Means Committee Chairman Richard Neal to "end all ongoing examinations" of Trump and his companies." CNN

Oh, dear! YOU GOT ME! I said "70 years", not 50 years. As if that changes a damn thing.

"Since the 1970s, U.S. presidents have voluntarily released their tax filings. That convention ended with Donald Trump." Investopedia

Politifact

OH, dear...I said children and not 'child'!

"U.S. taxpayers have paid more than $2.5 million to Mar-a-Lago and other businesses owned by President Donald Trump since 2017, the Washington Post reported Tuesday, the most extensive analysis to date of how the Trump administration and campaign have become reliable paying customers for the president’s expansive — and reportedly ailing — businesses."

"The $2.5 million figure includes hotel rooms, function spaces, food, alcohol, and floral arrangements purchased by the federal government for official functions hosted at Trump-owned hotels and resorts, the Post found after reviewing government documents.

The president’s clubs often charged high prices for their services, billing the government $7,700 for a dinner with Chinese President Xi Jinping’s staff, $17,000 a month for a cottage at the Trump National Golf Club Bedminster used by the Secret Service, and even $3 for glasses of water for Trump and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe." Forbes

"Decades of policy failures that the Trump Administration exacerbated resulted in more than 450,000 unnecessary American deaths in 2018, with tens of thousands of additional deaths in other years also attributable to President Donald Trump's actions, according to a report published Thursday from a commission of health experts convened by the British medical journal The Lancet." Forbes

"President Donald Trump hired Michael Flynn to be his national-security adviser even after Flynn had informed Trump's transition team that he was being investigated by the FBI over his lobbying work for Turkey, The New York Times reported Wednesday." Business insider

"Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke will step down by the end of this year, President Donald Trump announced Saturday, making him the latest Trump administration Cabinet official forced to resign amid scandal.

The resignation comes after reports that the Justice Department is considering whether to pursue a criminal investigation against the former Montana congressman and Navy SEAL, who is facing several probes into whether he has used his office for personal gain. His impending exit will make him the most recent in line of Trump administration officials to leave under a cloud of ethical scandals, including former EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt and former HHS Secretary Tom Price." Politico

9. His tit for tat pardons.

People Trump pardoned including Steve Bannon, Roger Stone, Michael Flynn, George Papadopoulos, Alex van der Zwaan, and Charles Kushner among others. They all had close personal connections to Trump and several of them knew his dirt.
https://www.9news.com.au/world/donal...8-f07ff4982418

"Trump Pressed Justice Dept. to Declare Election Results Corrupt" NYT

"Under sustained pressure from Donald Trump, the Justice Department took the highly unusual step of dropping its prosecution of Michael Flynn" Bloomberg

Warp12, do you want to continue to claim just how much I exaggerated everything?

Lets see Warp19 considers Investopedia, Forbes and Business Insiders to be "Liberal" and "biased". Whatever. That is just hilarious. Wonder what he thought of National Review coverage of Trump. Hint - it was very negative overall.

As for the rest mostly centrist sources. But I guess any source that lambasts the most holy Trump is super "Liberal" biased.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2021, 05:50 PM   #615
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

[quote=Pacal;13593093]

Lets see Warp19 considers Investopedia, Forbes and Business Insiders to be "Liberal" and "biased". Whatever. That is just hilarious. Wonder what he thought of National Review coverage of Trump. Hint - it was very negative overall.

As for the rest mostly centrist sources. But I guess any source that lambasts the most holy Trump is super "Liberal" biased.
I don't think they need to even 'lambast' Trump. Just reporting the facts is enough if those facts reflect negatively on Trump.

Rates on Media Bias/Fact Check:

Reuters is rated Least Biased and very high on factual reporting.

Brookings rated slight to moderate liberal bias and very high on factual reporting.

Investopedia is rated at Least Biased and high on factual reporting.

Forbes is rated slight to moderately conservative in bias and high on factual reporting.

Business Insider is rated slight to moderate liberal bias and high on factual reporting.

Politico is rated slight to moderate liberal bias and high on factual reporting.

BBC is rated slight to moderate liberal bias and high on factual reporting.

CNN is rated slight to moderate liberal bias and high on factual reporting.
( Overall, we rate CNN left biased based on editorial positions that consistently favor the left, while straight news reporting falls left-center through bias by omission. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to several failed fact checks by TV hosts. However, news reporting on the website tends to be properly sourced with minimal failed fact checks)

WAPO is rated slight to moderate liberal bias and mostly factual on factual reporting. (Due to two failed fact checks, they earn a Mostly Factual rating.)

Let's compare that to FOX, Newsmax, and OANN which are the darling of the right.

FOX: We rate Fox News strongly Right-Biased due to editorial positions and story selection that favors the right. We also rate them Mixed factually and borderline Questionable based on poor sourcing and the spreading of conspiracy theories.

Newsmax: We rate Newsmax Right Biased and Questionable based on the promotion of conspiracy theories and pseudoscience as well as numerous failed fact checks.

OANN: Overall, we rate One America News Questionable based on far-right bias, lack of sourcing, promotion of conspiracy theories, and propaganda, as well as numerous failed fact checks. OAN is not a credible news source.

But, apparently, I'm guilty of citing "multiple partisan opinions, combined with many liberal-leaning sources" which is funny because I posted no "opinions", much less partisan ones. And all but one were rated as "high" or "very high" on factual reporting. And that one's (WAPO) quote was still factually accurate.
Old 7th September 2021, 06:16 PM   #616
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Facts have a known Liberal bias, however.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2021, 06:19 PM   #617
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Facts have a known Liberal bias, however.

Well, if you take into account the "left-leaning" news sites' vs the "right-leaning" news sites' factual reporting grades, you're not wrong.
Old 8th September 2021, 10:45 AM   #618
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I don't think they need to even 'lambast' Trump. Just reporting the facts is enough if those facts reflect negatively on Trump.

Rates on Media Bias/Fact Check:

Reuters is rated Least Biased and very high on factual reporting.

Brookings rated slight to moderate liberal bias and very high on factual reporting.

Investopedia is rated at Least Biased and high on factual reporting.

Forbes is rated slight to moderately conservative in bias and high on factual reporting.

Business Insider is rated slight to moderate liberal bias and high on factual reporting.

Politico is rated slight to moderate liberal bias and high on factual reporting.

BBC is rated slight to moderate liberal bias and high on factual reporting.

CNN is rated slight to moderate liberal bias and high on factual reporting.
( Overall, we rate CNN left biased based on editorial positions that consistently favor the left, while straight news reporting falls left-center through bias by omission. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to several failed fact checks by TV hosts. However, news reporting on the website tends to be properly sourced with minimal failed fact checks)

WAPO is rated slight to moderate liberal bias and mostly factual on factual reporting. (Due to two failed fact checks, they earn a Mostly Factual rating.)

Let's compare that to FOX, Newsmax, and OANN which are the darling of the right.

FOX: We rate Fox News strongly Right-Biased due to editorial positions and story selection that favors the right. We also rate them Mixed factually and borderline Questionable based on poor sourcing and the spreading of conspiracy theories.

Newsmax: We rate Newsmax Right Biased and Questionable based on the promotion of conspiracy theories and pseudoscience as well as numerous failed fact checks.

OANN: Overall, we rate One America News Questionable based on far-right bias, lack of sourcing, promotion of conspiracy theories, and propaganda, as well as numerous failed fact checks. OAN is not a credible news source.

But, apparently, I'm guilty of citing "multiple partisan opinions, combined with many liberal-leaning sources" which is funny because I posted no "opinions", much less partisan ones. And all but one were rated as "high" or "very high" on factual reporting. And that one's (WAPO) quote was still factually accurate.
Not disagreeing, but source?
Old 8th September 2021, 10:48 AM   #619
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Not disagreeing, but source?
As supplied in my post: Rates on Media Bias/Fact Check
Old 8th September 2021, 04:58 PM   #620
mgidm86
Philosopher

Fixed. My sympathies.
At least you have to edit my posts to make them sound ridiculous.

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Thankfully, I think if you read his posts of late, which show a fair amount of thought, you'd realize he deserves a good bit more credit than that.

Wow thanks! I appreciate that.

Ya you trolled all you could, screamed bitched and moaned, insulted, and none of it worked.
Old 8th September 2021, 05:46 PM   #621
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

New cases of Covid in children is now surpassing those of adults and one in every four Covid hospitalizations is a child according to ABC News. About 365 children admitted to the hospital every day.

Is this "statistically insignificant"?

Idiot anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers.
Old 9th September 2021, 03:15 PM   #622
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Again, Lord have mercy. It was not a "ridiculous question", it was a very real possibility.
Huh? Are we talking about the same question?

What was "real" about it?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2021, 03:31 PM   #623
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Huh? Are we talking about the same question?

What was "real" about it?
No idea. people are supposed to choose The Chosen One which would have magically caused Covid-19 to not exist, or Joe Biden, who would have personally murdered 4 million people.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics