IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th August 2021, 12:42 PM   #81
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I'll mark you down as a Democrat who would rather have 600,000 die than see Trump get a second term.
If trump had won a second term the 600,000 would still be dead.

Is your messiah going to magically resurrect them?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 12:43 PM   #82
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It still eludes you that there is no simple, straight answer to your question because it's a dishonest question to begin with.

Might I suggest you walk away now before you dig the hole any deeper? Or are you going for the Golden Shovel Award?

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...be25b078b3.jpg
I admire your ability to post graphics, but scorn your inability to answer simple questions, as posed in the OP.
Old 29th August 2021, 12:44 PM   #83
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Kinda sorta Blue Dog checking in: I have two family members in caskets over COVID, and friends and other family with debilitated lungs from it. Hell yes I'd take another round of ex-President Trump if the trade off was to lose the pandemic. The Union is strong, and no matter how much damage Agent Orange could wreak, we would repair in time. Lungs and lives, not so much.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 12:44 PM   #84
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
You have been waiting the whole thread to be able to post exactly this. It was the sole purpose of the op.

Now that you have done it, what next?
Next honest, no...really, I'm honestly asking this in all sincerity cuz I really want to know.... question:

Is Hillary Clinton 1) a baby eating Satanist or 2) does she only drink their blood?

A simple 1 or 2 is the only answer acceptable and any other will be seen as dishonesty and/or avoidance.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 12:47 PM   #85
Steve
Philosopher

What's next? I guess I'm still waiting for you, as a Democrat US voter, to answer the simple question that I posed.
Well your perception of geography seems rather typical for an American conservative ie; nothing exists outside of the USA. Bet ya can’t figure out where I live.

Anyway, you just “put me down” in whatever category suits your simple world view. Because complex answers seem to cause you difficulty.
Old 29th August 2021, 12:48 PM   #86
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I admire your ability to post graphics, but scorn your inability to answer simple questions, as posed in the OP.
Give me a simple question, and not a loaded one as posed in the OP, and I'll give you a simple answer.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 12:49 PM   #87
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Well your perception of geography seems rather typical for an American conservative ie; nothing exists outside of the USA. Bet ya can’t figure out where I live.

Anyway, you just “put me down” in whatever category suits your simple world view. Because complex answers seem to cause you difficulty.
And , reading the OP seems to cause trouble for some.
Old 29th August 2021, 12:57 PM   #88
Steve
Philosopher

Give me a simple question, and not a loaded one as posed in the OP, and I'll give you a simple answer.
Do you doubt that Warp12 honestly thinks the op question is a simple one? I have no doubt whatsoever. I take Warp12’s statements at face value. Warp12 honestly seems unable to conceive that the question is anything other than simple. As evidence I suggest that it bears an uncanny resemblance to the types of simple, honest questions regularly asked in the media by the more conservative members of the various governments in the USA.
Old 29th August 2021, 12:58 PM   #89
Steve
Philosopher

And , reading the OP seems to cause trouble for some.
And this has what to do with you identifying me as an American democrat?
Old 29th August 2021, 12:59 PM   #90
Warp12
Graduate Poster

I've never seen you avoid a loaded question, so long as it favored your party, that is. Why hesitate now?
Old 29th August 2021, 01:02 PM   #91
Steve
Philosopher

I've never seen you avoid a loaded question, so long as it favored your party, that is. Why hesitate now?
Surely not an admission that you posted a loaded question?
Please don’t make me question your honesty right after
I expressed my belief in it.
Old 29th August 2021, 01:08 PM   #92
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Surely not an admission that you posted a loaded question?
Please don’t make me question your honesty right after
I expressed my belief in it.
I'm handing her some rope in the hope that she has the guts to give an honest, straightforward answer. I'm not holding my breath, however.
Old 29th August 2021, 01:17 PM   #93
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Do you doubt that Warp12 honestly thinks the op question is a simple one? I have no doubt whatsoever. I take Warp12’s statements at face value. Warp12 honestly seems unable to conceive that the question is anything other than simple. As evidence I suggest that it bears an uncanny resemblance to the types of simple, honest questions regularly asked in the media by the more conservative members of the various governments in the USA.
I agree that he thinks it's simple. That's how people who think only in rigid, black and white see things. Understanding complexity and shades of gray is not something they grasp easily. Extremists on both ends of the political spectrum will almost always fall into the B-W way of thinking, while moderates (or those more in the middle) see most things in shades of gray. I'm a very 'shades of gray' thinker which is why I am a left of center voter. It's why I chose Biden over Bernie.
Quote:
Finally, evidence suggests that political extremists view societal and political events more simply. Although the political left and right endorsed diametrically different solutions to the EU refugee crisis (with the left being more inclusive and the right more exclusive toward refugees), both extremes believed that the solution to this crisis was simple—distinguishing them from moderates, who believed that more complex solutions were needed (van Prooijen, Krouwel, & Emmer, 2018). Such cognitive simplicity is also reflected in political extremists’ tendency to believe conspiracy theories. Although the left and right are equally likely to endorse conspiracy theories (Uscinski & Parent, 2014), the political extremes believe conspiracy theories more strongly than moderates (van Prooijen, Krouwel, & Pollet, 2015; see also Imhoff, 2015; Krouwel, Kutiyski, van Prooijen, Martinsson, & Markstedt, 2017). Political extremism is associated with a relatively simplistic outlook on the social and political world.
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/ful...63721418817755
Old 29th August 2021, 01:20 PM   #94
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

This board obviously has a tremendous liberal slant.

I believe that Trump was well on his way to a second term, prior to Covid. That seemed to be the way the wind was blowing, despite 3 years of witch-hunting by butt-hurt Dems. The gamechanger was Covid, which openly exposed Trump as the idiot that he is.

My question is, as a Democrat, what do you think of the trade off? Which would you choose, the current Covid death toll (and a Dem in charge), or a country without the virus, and Trump still ruling?
What a load of dishonest crap. Trump was on his way to losing again. He lost the popular vote by 3 million votes in 2016 and he was underwater in the polls from a month in his presidency until the last day. He only became POTUS because of minor majorities in a few select states.

COVID was the coup de grace though. COVID presented Trump with a huge opportunity and the moron blew it. It was an opportunity to rally the country behind a great emergency. He had a chance to be or at least appear to be a leader.

But Trump being Trump, he crapped the bed. Instead of rallying the country behind public health and science, he divided the country based on his own ignorance and stupidity.

(And they weren't witchunts)
Old 29th August 2021, 01:21 PM   #95
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I gave you an answer. You just didn't like it:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...8#post13583618

Would you care to link to a post of mine that answered "a loaded question, so long as it favored my) party"?

ETA: And, please, don't hold your breath. Your brain needs oxygen.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 29th August 2021 at 01:22 PM.
Old 29th August 2021, 01:26 PM   #96
Warp12
Graduate Poster

I gave you an answer. You just didn't like it:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...8#post13583618

Would you care to link to a post of mine that answered "a loaded question, so long as it favored my) party"?

ETA: And, please, don't hold your breath. Your brain needs oxygen.
Sorry, I can't be bothered to mine your 1000 Dem-celebrating posts from the past month.

It's just refreshing to know you'd rather see 600,000 dead than endure another Trump term.
Old 29th August 2021, 01:26 PM   #97
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
What a load of dishonest crap. Trump was on his way to losing again. He lost the popular vote by 3 million votes in 2016 and he was underwater in the polls from a month in his presidency until the last day. He only became POTUS because of minor majorities in a few select states.

COVID was the coup de grace though. COVID presented Trump with a huge opportunity and the moron blew it. It was an opportunity to rally the country behind a great emergency. He had a chance to be or at least appear to be a leader.

But Trump being Trump, he crapped the bed. Instead of rallying the country behind public health and science, he divided the country based on his own ignorance and stupidity.

(And they weren't witchunts)
Now, now, AC...you're not answering the question which must mean you 'embrace Covid' and are glad that 4.5 million people have died.
Old 29th August 2021, 01:32 PM   #98
dirtywick
Illuminator

I think it's far more interesting that he chose to use the word "ruling" when describing Trump's possible second term.

It's been a theory of mine that a subsection of conservatives would happily submit to and want to be dominated by a strong man for the kind of sexual thrill they can't, due to their own repressed views, actually physically be experience. But the curious thing is that they chose Donald Trump, a flabby, soft, small handed man child, so to me that indicates there's also a humiliation aspect to this as well.

So, which is it? If you have the guts, you'd tell us if you'd rather be sexually dominated by Trump or humiliated by him.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 01:34 PM   #99
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry, I can't be bothered to mine your 1000 Dem-celebrating posts from the past month.
But surely you could find one rather easily out of 1000 Dem-celebrating posts in the last month?

Quote:
It's just refreshing to know you'd rather see 600,000 dead than endure another Trump term.
I never said that but what I find interesting is that you would find it 'refreshing'. Why? What is it about that that you find invigorating and welcome? That you think you have somehow justified your view of me or Dems in general? Frankly, that says more about you than anyone else.
Old 29th August 2021, 01:36 PM   #100
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
I think it's far more interesting that he chose to use the word "ruling" when describing Trump's possible second term.

It's been a theory of mine that a subsection of conservatives would happily submit to and want to be dominated by a strong man for the kind of sexual thrill they can't, due to their own repressed views, actually physically be experience. But the curious thing is that they chose Donald Trump, a flabby, soft, small handed man child, so to me that indicates there's also a humiliation aspect to this as well.

So, which is it? If you have the guts, you'd tell us if you'd rather be sexually dominated by Trump or humiliated by him.
Did you answer the original question, or are you caught up in these sexually-oriented fantasies? Disturbing, tbh.
Old 29th August 2021, 01:36 PM   #101
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, great....now I'm seeing Trump in a leather dominant outfit replete with whip and handcuffs. How am I ever going to sleep tonight? Damn you, dirtywick!
Old 29th August 2021, 01:41 PM   #102
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Oh, great....now I'm seeing Trump in a leather dominant outfit replete with whip and handcuffs. How am I ever going to sleep tonight? Damn you, dirtywick!
Completely OT, but I am certain this isn't the first time.

Can we stick to the topic, please?
Old 29th August 2021, 01:44 PM   #103
sackett
Philosopher

Jesus, folks, it was only a sophomoric hypothetical. You could answer with "Mu" and it would mean just as much.

That golden shovel can also be used to stir the ****.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 01:52 PM   #104
sackett
Philosopher

With real, true, actual Ida whamming into Louisiana, we can readily posit an end to our imaginary, let's-pretend-it's-true bedtime-story Trumph second term. He'd make it even worse just by standing there like Ole Dan Tucker.

sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 01:55 PM   #105
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Completely OT, but I am certain this isn't the first time.

Can we stick to the topic, please?
Nah, I usually think of him dressing up more like this:

It's a very popular image among his neo-Nazi/white supremacist/ white nationalist supporters.

By the way, care to answer my questions? They're simple enough:

Quote:
I never said that but what I find interesting is that you would find it 'refreshing'. Why? What is it about that that you find invigorating and welcome? That you think you have somehow justified your view of me or Dems in general?

Last edited by Stacyhs; 29th August 2021 at 01:58 PM.
Old 29th August 2021, 01:58 PM   #106
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Nah, I usually think of him dressing up more like this:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...bf3e5003bb.jpg

It's a very popular image among his neo-Nazi/white supremacist/ white nationalist supporters.
Firstly, this is a completely ridiculous claim. Secondly, I think you are trying to intentionally derail this thread.
Old 29th August 2021, 02:02 PM   #107
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
With real, true, actual Ida whamming into Louisiana, we can readily posit an end to our imaginary, let's-pretend-it's-true bedtime-story Trumph second term. He'd make it even worse just by standing there like Ole Dan Tucker.
He'd claim whatever his response to Ida was...good or bad...was the greatest response in history, like the world had never seen before. People were saying, "Sir, how do you know so much about hurricane handling?" He'd also claim he was down there during the worst of the hurricane giving the first responders a hand. Hell, he may still do that!
Old 29th August 2021, 02:03 PM   #108
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Firstly, this is a completely ridiculous claim. Secondly, I think you are trying to intentionally derail this thread.
OH, honey...this thread went off the rails with your original post.

And you still haven't answered my questions. I answered yours. Tag. You're it!

Last edited by Stacyhs; 29th August 2021 at 02:04 PM.
Old 29th August 2021, 02:04 PM   #109
Venom
Philosopher

I believe that Trump was well on his way to a second term, prior to Covid. That seemed to be the way the wind was blowing, despite 3 years of witch-hunting by butt-hurt Dems. The gamechanger was Covid, which openly exposed Trump as the idiot that he is.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 02:08 PM   #110
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Now, now, AC...you're not answering the question which must mean you 'embrace Covid' and are glad that 4.5 million people have died.
Yeah, I don't think I can embrace 4.5 million people dying.

The moronic thing about this is Trump and the Republican party made COVID a political issue. Not the Democrats who simply embraced common sense and public health. Instead of insanity and crazy conspiracies.

Now they are whining because the Democrats are pointing out their monumental stupidity. Like that is unfair?
Old 29th August 2021, 02:09 PM   #111
sackett
Philosopher

Well?

So why do you think they call him dirtywick?

Oh god, now it's happening to me!

Please, Warp12, make it stop. I'll vote for Trompf, I swear I will!

Old 29th August 2021, 02:09 PM   #112
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

OH, honey...this thread went off the rails with your original post.
You have to see his point at some level, though. Recently on the Riot thread, I commented that posters were openly bloodthirsty for more dead Americans, which...I don't think is all that rational. You should've seen the emotional train wreck responses, none having anything to do with the comment, but just making things up to argue about.

People are seriously not rational about this. On Facebook, fine. This is a skeptics forum.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 02:19 PM   #113
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
You have to see his point at some level, though. Recently on the Riot thread, I commented that posters were openly bloodthirsty for more dead Americans, which...I don't think is all that rational. You should've seen the emotional train wreck responses, none having anything to do with the comment, but just making things up to argue about.

People are seriously not rational about this. On Facebook, fine. This is a skeptics forum.
What I'm seeing are people not feeling sorry for people who get Covid and die due to their own choice of not getting vaccinated and/or spreading misinformation about it. I don't see many people actually happy about people dying, but you always have your extremists on either end. There are also people who post outlandish things because they can but who, if they actually had the ability to do so, would not actually do it. Hyperbole runs rampant on the internet. You also just have emotionally disturbed people ranting and just plain trolls trying to make a splash by being outrageous. But Warp is trying to make this about 'the butt hurt Dems' as if all Dems...or even the majority...have that view.

This phenomenon is seen on the far right, too. So called 'patriots' calling for the deaths of commiesocialistlibtards. Remember 'Kill Mike Pence'?

Last edited by Stacyhs; 29th August 2021 at 02:21 PM.
Old 29th August 2021, 02:21 PM   #114
Warp12
Graduate Poster

What I'm seeing are people not feeling sorry for people who get Covid and die due to their own choice of not getting vaccinated and/or spreading misinformation about it. I don't see many people actually happy about people dying, but you always have your extremists on either end. There are also people who post outlandish things because they can but who, if they actually had the ability to do so, would not actually do it. Hyperbole runs rampant on the internet. You also just have emotionally disturbed people ranting and just plain trolls trying to make a splash by being outrageous. But Warp is trying to make this about 'the butt hurt Dems' as if all Dems...or even the majority...have that view.
So, uhh, what is your answer to the simple question posed? Trump or Covid? Which do you choose?
Old 29th August 2021, 02:22 PM   #115
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

So, uhh, what is your answer to the simple question posed? Trump or Covid? Which do you choose?
Remember I tagged you already. Your turn!
Old 29th August 2021, 02:22 PM   #116
Doubt
Philosopher

My question is, as a Democrat, what do you think of the trade off? Which would you choose, the current Covid death toll (and a Dem in charge), or a country without the virus, and Trump still ruling?
What you believe, by itself, is not useful unless there is a good amount of evidence for it. Trump idiocy was on display long before he decided to run. Some people agree with the stupid BS and the Republican party continued the process of debasing itself that started with Nixon and the southern strategy.

Trump barely won the first time and incumbents tend not to do better trying for a second term. And Trumps approval ratings were terrible. I can tell you as a resident of Michigan he had very little chance of winning here again. The reason he won the place the first time has more to do with how bad Hillary's campaign dealt with the firewall they thought they had. They just assumed they had this area and ignored what was really going one.

Link to Trumps approval ratings. It was never good before COVID.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...roval-ratings/
Old 29th August 2021, 02:23 PM   #117
Steve
Philosopher

Mildly interesting. but certainly not surprising. Many Trump supporters (and many fascists) look at their leaders that way.
Old 29th August 2021, 02:23 PM   #118
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Remember I tagged you already. Your turn!
So, you're casting another vote for 600k dead, I guess.

Last edited by Warp12; 29th August 2021 at 02:24 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 02:25 PM   #119
HoverBoarder
Graduate Poster

This thread is about exposing the truth...but clearly, few Dems even understand the concept.
It certainly is fair to ask the question. However, if Trump were to be elected as president, there would be a lot of difficulties for him to overcome if he were to be elected as president. Before COVID, Trump had one of the worst approval ratings in US history, and he did not have anywhere near a reasonable path to being re-elected.

The facts of those numbers are important in the question you ask. If we are assuming Trump would be president, and not an authoritarian "ruler" as the OP referred to him as, than there would be more factors in play in choosing Trump over COVID.

Trump would have had to do a series of moves that were very Nationally popular to be able to give him a chance at being elected. It would require a dramatic shift from the Trump presidency that we are all familiar with. Trump would have to do something that would actually be good for the country rather than his own ego.

If we could choose to radically transform Trump into an actually good president in order to give him a good chance of winning re-election AND get rid of COVID, than there is no one's in their right mind who would refuse that.

However, if the choice is to potentially kill millions in a bid to destroy American democracy and install a Trump dictatorship via a magical genie wish of getting rid of COVID, than it would be more difficult as it might end up killing more people than it would save in that exchange.
HoverBoarder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 02:27 PM   #120
Steve
Philosopher

So, you're casting another vote for 600k dead, I guess.
Your guesses are either very poor. or very dishonest. Simple question - which is it?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics