IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 31st August 2021, 11:10 AM   #241
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Some resistance, yes. You always have ignorant, misinformed and just plain stupid people, but my point was that it wasn't anywhere near the pushback we're seeing over Covid. Most people complied with wearing masks:
https://www.history.com/news/1918-sp...ing-resistance

This is an excellent article on the history and causes of the anti-vax movement(s).

https://www.oah.org/tah/issues/2015/...on-resistance/
Back there in 1918 there was a dearth of social media that prevented the idiots from learning that the country was full of imbeciles just like them. Now there is courage in numbers. “If all these other people think like me I can’t be that stupid!”. Well, yes, you can.
Old 31st August 2021, 11:44 AM   #242
xjx388

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
For such an unimportant position of little influence there's a lot of money, energy, angst and criming expended on hoisting the aspirant to harness. I mean, for such an ineffectual station, why not just abolish it?

The position has been blown out of proportion in the popular mentality. It’s an important position in our Federal system; but, the Prez doesn’t actually have that much power over the people themselves or the States, other than whatever respect and influence they can garner. They can’t mandate masks nationwide, for example. The States and local governments have much more power to effect changes like that. Greg Abbot, Ron DeSantis, et al, were gonna do what they did. I cannot see all those Anti-mask, anti-vaccine areas doing something different simply because there was a different President.
Old 31st August 2021, 12:23 PM   #243
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
The position has been blown out of proportion in the popular mentality....
Therein lies the catch. It is that popular appeal that made him so powerful among his followers. He gave them impunity.
Old 31st August 2021, 12:39 PM   #244
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The position has been blown out of proportion in the popular mentality. It’s an important position in our Federal system; but, the Prez doesn’t actually have that much power over the people themselves or the States, other than whatever respect and influence they can garner. They can’t mandate masks nationwide, for example. The States and local governments have much more power to effect changes like that. Greg Abbot, Ron DeSantis, et al, were gonna do what they did. I cannot see all those Anti-mask, anti-vaccine areas doing something different simply because there was a different President.

"...other than whatever respect and influence they can garner."

Are you kidding me?

Are you forgetting about Federal funding, grants, incentives, and aid?

Quote:
Federal Pressure on the States
The federal government uses a number of tactics to compel states to follow its policies and guidelines. Congress can order states to comply but usually applies pressure more subtly by threatening to withhold funds from disobedient states.

Example: When the federal government decided to raise the drinking age to twenty-one, it denied certain highway funds to states that opted not to comply.
https://www.sparknotes.com/us-govern...lism/section3/

Another example was the nationwide 55 MPH speed limit. Any noncompliant state, like Nevada, was threatened with loss of federal highway funding.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 01:00 PM   #245
Warp12
Graduate Poster

This thread turned out to be a great example of how going completely OT is apparently OK...sometimes.
Old 31st August 2021, 01:06 PM   #246
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Again, the OP question is "how much do you really hate Trump? Would you trade another term of him for no COVID?"

Anyone answering with anything but a "**** yeah" needs to do some serious soul searching. Especially those who bobbed and weaved around the question. Your answer was heard more clearly than you think.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 02:19 PM   #247
xjx388

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
This thread turned out to be a great example of how going completely OT is apparently OK...sometimes.

Nah. It’s a great example of how a discussion can drift to related topics that perhaps the OP didn’t imagine in rather limited scenario presented.
Old 31st August 2021, 03:06 PM   #248
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Well, there’s really no use in arguing about alternative history. I think we can agree on that much.
You trying to bankrupt Harry Turtledove?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 03:10 PM   #249
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

THIS.THIS.THIS.

Merely Corrupt Presidents the system could handle. But what Trump did posed..and still poses a major threat to democracy itself.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 03:29 PM   #250
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Again, the OP question is "how much do you really hate Trump? Would you trade another term of him for no COVID?"

Anyone answering with anything but a "**** yeah" needs to do some serious soul searching. Especially those who bobbed and weaved around the question. Your answer was heard more clearly than you think.
I still think that given what T**** is and was, and given the actual practicalities of controlling a world-wide pandemic, it's a worthless question on the order of what we'd do if our pigs took flight or if Rudy Giuliani turned out to be the reincarnation of Jesus.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 03:30 PM   #251
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

If only context were a weapon in your arsenal.
If only context had anything to do with it. Calling female pharmacist assistants "split tails" because they weren't working to your standards isn't 'context'. It's disrespect. But you go ahead and tell us all how "context" makes it OK.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 03:36 PM   #252
Warp12
Graduate Poster

If only context had anything to do with it. Calling female pharmacist assistants "split tails" because they weren't working to your standards isn't 'context'. It's disrespect. But you go ahead and tell us all how "context" makes it OK.
Because, once again, the obvious sarcasm flew over your head.
Old 31st August 2021, 03:37 PM   #253
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

In other words, you can't explain it. Got it.
Old 31st August 2021, 03:47 PM   #254
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Still waiting for an explanation on what the 'sarcasm' was there that made it OK in that context.
Old 31st August 2021, 03:55 PM   #255
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Still waiting for an explanation on what the 'sarcasm' was there that made it OK in that context.
It was amusing, within the context, if you had bothered to read. But I am not expecting miracles, here. Believe what you wish. We've been down this road before.

Last edited by Warp12; 31st August 2021 at 03:56 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 04:10 PM   #256
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It was amusing, within the context, if you had bothered to read. But I am not expecting miracles, here. Believe what you wish. We've been down this road before.
Then you'll have no problem explaining it, will ya? Here, I'll even post your response to the post that prompted it:

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
What exactly is a “pharmacy girl”? Sounds more than a little misogynistic. Are you perhaps referring to a qualified Pharmacy clerk? or a registered Technician? or perhaps a professional Pharmacist? Which of those, in your opinion, is qualified to give a vaccine? Would you have been more tolerant of their regulations if they had been “pharmacy boys”?
You know, now it all makes sense. I was upset with CVS corporation for this new policy, but now I realize that one of these stupid split-tails probably misread the memo.
Yep, the old Trump standby: rather than admit what you said was just plain disgustingly wrong, claim it was a joke or funny or sarcasm. What next? It was just locker room talk?
Old 31st August 2021, 04:14 PM   #257
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Then you'll have no problem explaining it, will ya? Here, I'll even post your response to the post that prompted it:

Yep, the old Trump standby: rather than admit what you said was just plain disgustingly wrong, claim it was a joke or funny or sarcasm. What next? It was just locker room talk?
Thank you for posting it. It is even more funny than I recalled. And, obviously fantastically sarcastic.

Last edited by Warp12; 31st August 2021 at 04:21 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 04:25 PM   #258
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

No it wasn't.
It was hateful sexist misogyny. Men with so little confidence in their own sexuality that they have to make demeaning comments about women.

That was its context.
Old 31st August 2021, 04:27 PM   #259
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
No it wasn't.
It was hateful sexist misogyny. Men with so little confidence in their own sexuality that they have to make demeaning comments about women.

That was its context.
What kind of odd simping is this?
Old 31st August 2021, 04:46 PM   #260
carlitos
"más divertido"

What kind of odd simping is this?

Using slang from the Manosphere and other misogynistic communities to combat accusations of same - it’s tropic thunder-level triple irony!
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 04:48 PM   #261
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Using slang from the Manosphere and other misogynistic communities to combat accusations of same - it’s tropic thunder-level triple irony!
"Slang"?
Old 31st August 2021, 04:49 PM   #262
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

People pose ridiculous value hypotheticals all the time. Would you kill Hitler or Stalin? Is it right to kill Hitler's mother to stop him from being born? That kind of thing.

OP's question should be answered "of course a second trump term. You got a point somewhere?" But instead we see a lot of argument about practicalities and implausibilities. That speaks to how close Warp is to the bone with some posters.

For my part, I like questions I don't have to think much about. Right in my wheelhouse, that.
No, it doesn't. It exposes his dishonest agenda and we saw it. It was a lousy question to begin with because, as has been stated, it's a Sophie's Choice. There is no 'good' answer. It was all about Warp being able to find what he thinks is 'evidence' that Dems are "are quite happy about their Covid windfall":

"I'll mark you down as a Democrat who would rather have 600,000 die than see Trump get a second term."

"This thread is about exposing the truth...but clearly, few Dems even understand the concept."

"It's just refreshing to know you'd rather see 600,000 dead than endure another Trump term."

There are more that expose his true agenda. He's as transparent as glass.
Old 31st August 2021, 04:53 PM   #263
Warp12
Graduate Poster

No, it doesn't. It exposes his dishonest agenda and we saw it. It was a lousy question to begin with because, as has been stated, it's a Sophie's Choice. There is no 'good' answer. It was all about Warp being able to find what he thinks is 'evidence' that Dems are "are quite happy about their Covid windfall":

"I'll mark you down as a Democrat who would rather have 600,000 die than see Trump get a second term."

"This thread is about exposing the truth...but clearly, few Dems even understand the concept."

"It's just refreshing to know you'd rather see 600,000 dead than endure another Trump term."

There are more that expose his true agenda. He's as transparent as glass.
Anyone who considers this a "Sophie's Choice"... well, they probably smashed all of the mirrors in their home, long ago. 600k is just the dead in the US, after all.
Old 31st August 2021, 04:57 PM   #264
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

He's going for the Foot in Mouth Trophy as well as the Golden Shovel Award.
Old 31st August 2021, 05:02 PM   #265
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

I had to look up some of those terms. Widely used by 'Incels', I bet.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 05:02 PM   #266
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Anyone who considers this a "Sophie's Choice"... well, they probably smashed all of the mirrors in their home, long ago. 600k is just the dead in the US, after all.
Having a Dem as POTUS but still with 600,000 Covid dead or having another four years of being 'ruled' by a malignant narcissistic, pathologically lying sociopath who cares for no one and nothing but himself and is trying to destroy our very democracy is a classic Sophie's Choice.

Anyone who doesn't see it as a Sophie's Choice has blinders on as to what kind of person Trump is and how dangerous he is. Oh...that would be you!
Old 31st August 2021, 05:05 PM   #267
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Old 31st August 2021, 05:10 PM   #268
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Most women consider "split-tail" to be a compliment, trust me. You just need to get them in the right mindset to admit it.
Old 31st August 2021, 05:18 PM   #269
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Most women consider "split-tail" to be a compliment, trust me. You just need to get them in the right mindset to admit it.
I am neither a misogynist, nor an incel, so I would never use the term.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 05:46 PM   #270
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

The women you see doing that in porn are acting, hope that helps.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 05:52 PM   #271
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

"Slang"?
At what point did "simping" become standard English?

I had to look up "split-tail," never having heard the term before. If the women you know consider it a compliment, I think you're hanging with the wrong crowd.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)

Last edited by bruto; 31st August 2021 at 05:57 PM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 06:38 PM   #272
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
At what point did "simping" become standard English?

I had to look up "split-tail," never having heard the term before. If the women you know consider it a compliment, I think you're hanging with the wrong crowd.
That's about as true as Trump's claim that his "pussy grabbing" boast was just "locker room talk" considering how many women backed it up as factual.
Old 31st August 2021, 06:39 PM   #273
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

Gosh, I learn something new everyday here

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
...it's a worthless question on the order of what we'd do if our pigs took flight or if Rudy Giuliani turned out to be the reincarnation of Jesus.
You mean he is not? I thought the black runnels were kind of stigmata-like.
Old 31st August 2021, 06:45 PM   #274
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
You mean he is not? I thought the black runnels were kind of stigmata-like.
Old 31st August 2021, 07:13 PM   #275
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah if they're a sub tied to your bed playing BDSM games maybe. But out in the world you would be fired in most places.
Old 31st August 2021, 07:18 PM   #276
kevbo
Thinker

I bet he's really popular with the ladies.
Agree with the eyeroll. Not any ladies I know. Any that might have thought that a popular attitude, I tended to move away from. Just saying, some attitudes are repulsive and not meant for polite company and civil discourse. Locker room talk, if it is going to happen, should be kept in the locker room.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 08:15 PM   #277
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The question though was based on a false premise. Trump had serious negatives going into 2020. No one had to embrace COVID-19 to get rid of Trump. Trump was a weak candidate in January of 2020 already.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 08:31 PM   #278
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
The question though was based on a false premise. Trump had serious negatives going into 2020. No one had to embrace COVID-19 to get rid of Trump. Trump was a weak candidate in January of 2020 already.
^^This.
Old 31st August 2021, 09:47 PM   #279
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
It is a hypothetical situation. If you think that polling alone, well before election day, is the determiner for election outcomes, then you didn't see what happened in 2016.

But, regardless...this was a simple question, as has been repeated here, over and over. If someone can't bring themselves to answer it, what are they even commenting on? This thread has turned into yet another thread where people simply complain about Trump, and run OT.

The primary result has been to expose even further the vitriol that some hold for Trump. It is a little dark, tbh.
Old 31st August 2021, 09:51 PM   #280
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It is a hypothetical situation. If you think that polling alone, well before election day, is the determiner for election outcomes, then you didn't see what happened in 2016.

But, regardless...this was a simple question, as has been repeated here, over and over. If someone can't bring themselves to answer it, what are they even commenting on? This thread has turned into yet another thread where people simply complain about Trump, and run OT.

The primary result has been to expose even further the vitriol that some hold for Trump. It is a little dark, tbh.
so you are going to focus on the small minority instead of the overwhelming majority of posters?
seems like you already decided what the answer would be before you posted the question.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics