IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags epitaxy , homeopathy , raman , spectroscopy

Old 1st March 2014, 07:30 AM   #521
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Thia is something I have always thought.

If you went into a place where such homeopathic stuff is sold and asked them, "How can you show me that what you are selling is really what it is?" what could they say?

"Um....I can't. See, look at the label!"

"But how do you know the label is correct?"

So those selling homeopathic stuff can't actually promise that they are even selling you homeopathic stuff!
Yeah, that's a line I've tried once or twice with homeo-believers. "If I were supplying your retail homeopathic outlet with fake products, how would you know?".

The only answer is "The customers wouldn't get better" but then you get bogged down in details of experiments to test that and they'll tell you it has been successfully tested.

Faith is hard to shake.
Old 1st March 2014, 07:38 AM   #522
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Faith is hard to shake.
The very opposite of hands!

Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2014, 08:04 AM   #523
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Thia is something I have always thought.

If you went into a place where such homeopathic stuff is sold and asked them, "How can you show me that what you are selling is really what it is?" what could they say?

"Um....I can't. See, look at the label!"

"But how do you know the label is correct?"

So those selling homeopathic stuff can't actually promise that they are even selling you homeopathic stuff!

See also: Attention mes amis! Homeopathic emergency in France!

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2014, 08:13 AM   #524
steenkh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
There's a slight technical problem with that:

http://www.publications.parliament.u...66/7022105.htm

Quote:
Q538 Lord Broers: I have a simple, technical question about homeopathy and drugs. Is it possible to distinguish between homeopathic drugs after they have been diluted? Is there any means of distinguishing one from the other?

Ms Chatfield: Only by the label.
That is a quite remarkable admission. It is also remarkable that this answer was not followed up with further questions, such as whether mislabelled pills will have the effect of their new labels or their old labels.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2014, 08:51 AM   #525
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
That is a quite remarkable admission. It is also remarkable that this answer was not followed up with further questions, such as whether mislabelled pills will have the effect of their new labels or their old labels.
Only if you peel and lick the glue on the old labels.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2014, 09:05 AM   #526
steenkh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Only if you peel and lick the glue on the old labels.
Some customers of homoeopathy have recognised that the magic is in the labels, and put the labels under their pillows instead. To skeptics, it is not surprising that the effect of this practice works just as well as ingesting the original remedy. For traditional homeopaths we are dealing with sacrilege.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2014, 09:14 AM   #527
Donn
Philosopher

It's a little known fact that the label is as potent as the liquid. It saves money because the label never runs out. The more faded and brittle it becomes, the more potent the effect!

Crazy old world.
Old 1st March 2014, 09:30 AM   #528
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
That is a quite remarkable admission. It is also remarkable that this answer was not followed up with further questions...

Res ipsa loquitur.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2014, 09:32 AM   #529
Mojo
Mostly harmless

It's a little known fact that the label is as potent as the liquid.

Look up "paper remedies".

Old 1st March 2014, 10:04 AM   #530
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

It's a little known fact that the label is as potent as the liquid. It saves money because the label never runs out. The more faded and brittle it becomes, the more potent the effect!

Crazy old world.
It is! If some wasteful idiot throws away a potent old label and I happen to walk near their rubbish sack I get cured accidentally.

I'm amazed there's any illness in the world at all
Old 1st March 2014, 10:36 AM   #531
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Look up "paper remedies".
Aw, man! I was just spitballin', but it's actually a thing. A thing.

Can I reach another planet? A small moon? Anywhere but here!
Old 1st March 2014, 11:03 AM   #532
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Aw, man! I was just spitballin', but it's actually a thing. A thing.

It's Poe's law. You can't come up with a parody of this stuff that isn't indistinguishable from the real thing.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology