ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th June 2018, 01:36 PM   #161
macdoc
Philosopher

Amazing numbers

https://electrek.co/2018/06/25/tesla...tory-employee/
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 04:25 PM   #162
crescent
Master Poster

SpaceX launching Crew Dragon early tomorrow morning on an uncrewed test flight to ISS. Crewed launch tentatively set for July or August.

Falcon Heavy set for launch sometime later this month. One website says March 7, another just lists it as "March".

Tesla Model 3 now available at $35k.

Telsa has had several profitable quarters, although they have not yet had a fully profitable year.

Musk ought to be banned from Twitter for his own good, but his two flagship companies seem to be functioning pretty well.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 05:02 PM   #163
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
SpaceX launching Crew Dragon early tomorrow morning on an uncrewed test flight to ISS. Crewed launch tentatively set for July or August.
Between those two launches is one that I am really looking forward to watching, the Crew Dragon In-flight abort test.... scheduled for May

AIUI, this involves launching a Falcon 9 topped with an unmanned Crew Dragon capsule, then at around Max-Q, executing the abort sequence, where the escape motors fire to drag the capsule away from the booster, then the booster is destructed by the ground crew, and the capsule parachutes into the Atlantic where it is recovered.

Essentially, the mission is deemed a success if the capsule is saved and the rest of the rocket explodes. Should be spectacular

Last edited by smartcooky; 1st March 2019 at 05:03 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 01:07 AM   #164
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Another flawless launch.

Crew Dragon is deployed and heading for the ISS where it is scheduled to dock at 6am tomorrow EST

Stage 1 was successfully landed on the drone ship OCISLY 900 km downrange (the 35th time they have done so from 42 attempts)

Docking will be streamed on SpaceX's YouTUbe channel at

https://www.youtube.com/spacex
Old 2nd March 2019, 02:11 AM   #165
Mr Clingford
Graduate Poster

Yeah, it's awesome being able to see the launches - I liked the floaty Planet Earth.

But we crashed into a mountain and I had to eat him.
Mr Clingford is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 05:06 AM   #166
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

For those doubters out there who dont see the benefits of a space flight programme, and who thing we should be spending the miney solving problems here on Earth, here is Jim Bridenstine, the Director of NASA talking about those benefits at the post launch press conference...

https://youtu.be/HuXPLtJXd14?t=2200
Old 3rd March 2019, 04:09 AM   #167
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Another flawless launch.

Crew Dragon is deployed and heading for the ISS where it is scheduled to dock at 6am tomorrow EST

Stage 1 was successfully landed on the drone ship OCISLY 900 km downrange (the 35th time they have done so from 42 attempts)

Docking will be streamed on SpaceX's YouTUbe channel at

https://www.youtube.com/spacex
And the docking appears to have gone smoothly, last big test for this flight is re-entry in a few days time.
Old 3rd March 2019, 04:44 AM   #168
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
And the docking appears to have gone smoothly, last big test for this flight is re-entry in a few days time.
Hatch opening will be in couple of hours (its 12:45 am here and I'm not waiting
up for it!).
Old 3rd March 2019, 06:10 AM   #169
Garrison
Illuminator

When they opened the hatch I half expected 'Ripley' to jump up, take off a mask and reveal it was Elon Musk all along.
Old 3rd March 2019, 02:21 PM   #170
Doubt
Philosopher

Hatch opening will be in couple of hours (its 12:45 am here and I'm not waiting
up for it!).
I watched it dock and just listened for a while and then watched again when the opened the hatch. Good to see but not as exciting as a launch.

Detroit, Mexico, Detroit, Mexico....
Repeat for all of 2017 except when on vacation.
Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2019, 03:52 PM   #171
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
I watched it dock and just listened for a while and then watched again when the opened the hatch. Good to see but not as exciting as a launch.
I was quite surprised by the hours of extensive testing they had to do before opening the hatch. Then when they finally opened it, they put on masks and breathing equipment before going in, then they took air samples... what a rigmarole!

Do they go through all this hours long procedure every time a capsule docks?
Old 4th March 2019, 08:53 AM   #172
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

On unmanned vessels, because there's no one to tell them that the air is perfectly good. Also depends on what's inside the capsule. IIRC the cooling systems on Crew Dragon uses ammonia as a refridgerant and the engines use monomethyl hydrazine and dinitrogen tetroxide. All of those are pretty nasty chemicals that don't need high concentrations to cause severe effects.
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 12:20 AM   #173
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The Dragon Capsule is about to undock for return to Earth (7:31 am GMT)

Here live if anyone else happened to be watching

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by smartcooky; 8th March 2019 at 12:24 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 06:38 AM   #174
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Drogue deployment

Main deployment
Old 8th March 2019, 06:40 AM   #175
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

..... and...... SPLASHDOWN!
Old 8th March 2019, 08:48 AM   #176
Mr Clingford
Graduate Poster

Yup, looks to be safely down.

Onwards and upwards.

But we crashed into a mountain and I had to eat him.
Mr Clingford is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 02:00 PM   #177
Garrison
Illuminator

Managed to take a break at work just in time to watch the splashdown, very nice and the capsule is on its way home, to be put on top of another rocket it will probably blow to pieces.
Old 8th March 2019, 02:35 PM   #178
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Only comment I would make is that I would not want to be be an astronaut who has just spent 300+ days in microgravity, now in a weakened physical state, to return to earth and be bobbing around on the ocean for 45 minutes before they get me out.

I hope the capsule has a good supply of sick-bags!
Old 9th March 2019, 08:52 AM   #179
Garrison
Illuminator

Only comment I would make is that I would not want to be be an astronaut who has just spent 300+ days in microgravity, now in a weakened physical state, to return to earth and be bobbing around on the ocean for 45 minutes before they get me out.

I hope the capsule has a good supply of sick-bags!
Yeah SpaceX have already said they are looking to tighten that part of the procedure up.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology