ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags flat earth , flat earthers , Kyrie Irving

Old 15th March 2019, 05:27 AM   #41
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Although the Flat Earth is getting a lot of action these days, the poor Hollow Earth goes begging.
I always thought that was much more interesting, what with a miniature Sun floating around inside the planet and all manner of interesting folks and civilizations....
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 07:07 AM   #42
Capsid
Graduate Poster

They can't argue against this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_laser_gyroscope
Capsid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 08:25 AM   #43
bytewizard
Graduate Poster

"Interesting"- too funny
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 10:36 AM   #44
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Capsid View Post
Oh ... but they can!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 11:01 AM   #45
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Capsid View Post
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Oh ... but they can!

And they do. I recently watched Behind the Curve, on Netflix currently. A FE believer bought a ring laser gyro, at a cost of $20k, to see if they could detect the 15 degrees per hour precession (I might have the term wrong here) of the earth's rotation. And, sure enough, they saw the 15 degrees per hour. They were dismayed for a while but it wasn't long before they explained away the results, saying that what they were detecting was the rotation of the sky/firmament and not that of the earth.

I'm much more interested in why people believe woo than the beliefs themselves. But speculating on posters' motives is discouraged here, for reasons I both understand and support. I recommend the film for anyone interested in the social and personal side of the FE world.

ETA: the bit about the LRG test is near the end of the film

Last edited by ferd burfle; 15th March 2019 at 11:03 AM.
ferd burfle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 11:26 AM   #46
Capsid
Graduate Poster

Trouble is thousands of planes are fitted with them. Are all FEs scared of flying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Capsid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 11:47 AM   #47
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
(snip)

I was wrong. There literally are rational people that really do believe the Earth flat. And what happens here is a Flat Earther sets up an experiment to prove it!

The result should be no shock, but the reaction is priceless.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Ah, "My experiment has proved that the earth is round . . . therefore my experiment is wrong and should be disregarded." Priceless indeed.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 11:49 AM   #48
Spektator

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Although the Flat Earth is getting a lot of action these days, the poor Hollow Earth goes begging.
I always thought that was much more interesting, what with a miniature Sun floating around inside the planet and all manner of interesting folks and civilizations....
Yeah, dude! Pellucidar, I dig it. I was surprised not long ago to discover that the forged "Secret Diary of Richard E. Byrd" about his flight into the hollow Earth is still available. Truth lives long, but lies apparently are immortal.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 12:16 PM   #49
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Irving has slipped and hit his head on the hard wood basketball court once too often.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 12:17 PM   #50
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
Yeah, dude! Pellucidar, I dig it. I was surprised not long ago to discover that the forged "Secret Diary of Richard E. Byrd" about his flight into the hollow Earth is still available. Truth lives long, but lies apparently are immortal.

Agreed, Burroughs Pellucidar novels are a lot of fun.
They did a movie back in the 70's that suffered from too small a budget and the limitations of SFX at the time, but would love to see a movie with a decent budget and state of the art effects.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 15th March 2019 at 12:19 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 03:30 PM   #51
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Ah, "My experiment has proved that the earth is round . . . therefore my experiment is wrong and should be disregarded." Priceless indeed.
You think? I saw the same clip and came away with the exact opposite impression.

It looks to me like a broken man finally understanding he was wrong.

But of course his whole YouTube career depends on Patreon donations. So yes, after a delay where he made no flat Earth uploads at all, he started uploading again.

Very much like other scammers Randy debunked. But this one more funny because he debunked himself and we got to see the moment when he went from true believer, to hypocritical scam artist in it only for the money.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management

Last edited by Red Baron Farms; 15th March 2019 at 03:56 PM.
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 04:38 PM   #52
Venom
Graduate Poster

It's a good, simple epistemological exercise.

I have an inactive account at the Flat Earth Society website and a good 95% of the posters have to be trolls and saboteurs, and the remaining 5% mentally ill or so incredibly radically conspiracist that they actually believe the flat earth truth is being intentionally hidden from them.

It gets tiresome after a few minutes.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 06:48 PM   #53
Spektator

Originally Posted by Red Baron Farms View Post
You think? I saw the same clip and came away with the exact opposite impression.

It looks to me like a broken man finally understanding he was wrong.

But of course his whole YouTube career depends on Patreon donations. So yes, after a delay where he made no flat Earth uploads at all, he started uploading again.

Very much like other scammers Randy debunked. But this one more funny because he debunked himself and we got to see the moment when he went from true believer, to hypocritical scam artist in it only for the money.
Well, Campanella claims that some force, maybe refraction, caused the "false positive." Doesn't seem broken to me . . . Crooked, maybe . Randi spells his name with an i, by the way.
Old 15th March 2019, 08:40 PM   #54
MEequalsIxR
Critical Thinker

[snip]
Randi spells his name with an i, by the way.
That's what they want you to believe.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology