ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Closed Thread
Old 15th March 2019, 01:14 AM   #4241
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Jeremy Corbyn, the ostensible Labour leader?

Or "purported", or "alleged"...
"Alledged" sounds about right.

McHrozni
Old 15th March 2019, 01:54 AM   #4242
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
Interestingly enough, we were both wrong on this count.
Well my track record as a political pundit is pretty poor

One more vote on the deal and if it fails through the government will decide whether or not to cancel Brexit altogether, or so I've heard.

McHrozni
Heard from whom ?

I'd have thought the alternatives were Theresa May's deal or no deal.

Always supposing that the EU grants the request for an extension.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 02:01 AM   #4243
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I hear the latest nickname for Theresa May is "Lino". Further justified by the way the party seems to be walking all over her.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 02:12 AM   #4244
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I disagree. Jeremy Corbyn is the Labour leader and he has led the party into the cul-de-sac which is his personal political manifesto

I really do wish that the Labour Party had listened to its members and supporters and had strongly supported Remain but instead they chose to listen to a dotty old man whose political views are 45 years out of date because he got a big cheer at Glastonbury
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 02:28 AM   #4245
Tolls
Illuminator

Has Bercow ruled on whether May's agreement can be presented for a third time?
Twice was bad enough...
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 02:39 AM   #4246
Greebo
Thinker

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Twice was bad enough...
She's sounding like Mrs Doyle from Father Ted "of course you do - go on, go on, go on"
Greebo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 02:44 AM   #4247
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Heard from whom ?
To be perfectly honest it was in an answer on Quora, from a guy who has been knowledgable on the matter thus far. I asked for a link, to see if it's anything more than a rumor.

Quote:
I'd have thought the alternatives were Theresa May's deal or no deal.
Maybe, but Theresa May could also be capable of learning. The Parliament expressly rejected a no deal scenario under any circumstance. She's been threatning "my deal or no deal" for months now, to no avail. Maybe she's changing tack, maybe she hopes to win the support for the deal if she threatnes "my deal or no Brexit".

Given her situation it's one of the smarter things she could do.

Quote:
Always supposing that the EU grants the request for an extension.
I'm sure EU would grant an extension to implement the deal, if it were already accepted. Undue chaos over a technical issue isn't in EU's best interest.

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 15th March 2019 at 02:46 AM.
McHrozni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 02:48 AM   #4248
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Maybe, but Theresa May could also be capable of learning.
Evidence?

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 02:51 AM   #4249
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Evidence?

Dave
It's speculation, not an assertion

McHrozni
Old 15th March 2019, 03:08 AM   #4250
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I have a theory that a lot of the best and brightest don't want anything to do with politics and that is why we are getting such bad leadership.
The educational achievements of politicians I am sure is higher than average, so they are bright.

I think the present situation shows that politics attracts competitive "me" people who are not very good at cooperation. Too many egos, too many chiefs.
Old 15th March 2019, 03:12 AM   #4251
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I'm counting on you Estonia
That would be amazing, forced out of the EU in revenge for drunken stag parties from the UK ruining weekends in the capital.

In Riga Latvia it was horrible how UK stag parties suddenly appeared and their behaviour was awful. The bus tour even mentioned how some had been caught urinating on their national monument.
Old 15th March 2019, 03:28 AM   #4252
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
The educational achievements of politicians I am sure is higher than average, so they are bright.

I think the present situation shows that politics attracts competitive "me" people who are not very good at cooperation. Too many egos, too many chiefs.
Over the last few years, I've been disabused of a couple of misconceptions.

I thought that news media outlets were interested in presenting the truth. I now understand that their sole objective is to attract customers. Once I understood that, so many other things made sense.

I thought that politicians were in the business of attempting to run the country. I now think that the majority are just in the business of attempting to get reelected. Since I have understood this, politicians' actions make so much more sense.
Old 15th March 2019, 03:45 AM   #4253
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

I thought that news media outlets were interested in presenting the truth. I now understand that their sole objective is to attract customers. Once I understood that, so many other things made sense.

I thought that politicians were in the business of attempting to run the country. I now think that the majority are just in the business of attempting to get reelected. Since I have understood this, politicians' actions make so much more sense.
That's exactly right. It explains politics to the fullest.

That's why you should stick with media that seeks to attract customers who wish to be informed, not just filled with what they want to hear and politicians whose base is made of people who wish to see their country ran well, not helpless ideologues. Both exist.

For now anyway.

McHrozni
Old 15th March 2019, 03:53 AM   #4254
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

That's exactly right. It explains politics to the fullest.

That's why you should stick with media that seeks to attract customers who wish to be informed, not just filled with what they want to hear and politicians whose base is made of people who wish to see their country ran well, not helpless ideologues. Both exist.

For now anyway.

McHrozni
Unfortunately in the UK, politicians represent a specific geographic area so I'm not sure how easy it is to identify these. Personally I think it's the luck of the draw and I cannot choose who to vote for, just which party to vote for.
Old 15th March 2019, 04:20 AM   #4255
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Twice was bad enough...
Yes. No.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 05:01 AM   #4256
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Unfortunately in the UK, politicians represent a specific geographic area so I'm not sure how easy it is to identify these. Personally I think it's the luck of the draw and I cannot choose who to vote for, just which party to vote for.
That is a part of the problem, yes.

McHrozni
Old 15th March 2019, 07:24 AM   #4257
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Hadn't heard of this fellow in my ivory tower for PC gaming. Smart, even if he let out an aside I'd love to contest. Regardless, shiver me timbers.

Peterson Institute for International Economics: Posen Discusses the Damage of Brexit to the British Economy

IMO, the narrative that is guilty for Trump and Brexit is the Utopian Freedom Gospel, a term Posen never uses, but might've.

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 15th March 2019 at 07:26 AM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 07:32 AM   #4258
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Hadn't heard of this fellow in my ivory tower for PC gaming. Smart, even if he let out an aside I'd love to contest. Regardless, shiver me timbers.

Peterson Institute for International Economics: Posen Discusses the Damage of Brexit to the British Economy

IMO, the narrative that is guilty for Trump and Brexit is the Utopian Freedom Gospel, a term Posen never uses, but might've.
Very interesting - but am I only saying that because it aligns with my own views ?
Old 15th March 2019, 08:12 AM   #4259
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

I have a theory that a lot of the best and brightest don't want anything to do with politics and that is why we are getting such bad leadership.
Yes, by way of being in a positive feedback loop with the public's distrust and disdain for competency and expertise.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 09:00 AM   #4260
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Yes, by way of being in a positive feedback loop with the public's distrust and disdain for competency and expertise.

I view it as a little like the clergy in medieval Europe.

Second and third sons, those without much prospect of succeeding elsewhere, maybe they're not very bright, shipped off to where they'll have an income and not cause anybody any issues while the first sons and the best and brightest went and did something proper.

It seems to have backfired.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 09:21 AM   #4261
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

In high school and college there is always a certain type of student that considers the deadline for a project as the suggested start date, and always comes up with excuses why (s)he needs an extension even though everyone else is finished on time.

Too bad the UK chose a parliament made of only such people.
Lukraak_Sisser is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 09:22 AM   #4262
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post

Second and third sons, those without much prospect of succeeding elsewhere, maybe they're not very bright, shipped off to where they'll have an income and not cause anybody any issues while the first sons and the best and brightest went and did something proper.

Certainly true of my local MP. The family own a haulage business and the brighter son runs that. The dimmer son helps to run the country....
Old 15th March 2019, 09:48 AM   #4263
angrysoba
Philosophile

Certainly true of my local MP. The family own a haulage business and the brighter son runs that. The dimmer son helps to run the country....
Is the dimmer sonís position to make the brighter sonís business go bankrupt through Brexit?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 01:51 PM   #4264
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post

Hey, just a minute! How it worked was that first born sons inherited the entire entitled estate whereas subsequent males had to figure out what to do independent of anyone's talent or smarts. Clergy, the military, or overseas colonization were among the only options available to second sons, etc. "The trades" (e.g. business ventures) etc. were considered too demeaning as an option for these supernumerary high born. Obviously in many cases it was the first born who were not very bright but couldn't be shipped off.

I'm a second son but luckily a commoner and in the US.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 02:12 PM   #4265
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

These two commentaries might make Brexit pain bit duller:
Who cares about food and medicine? Brexit is the best nightly entertainment show Britain has ever had

Theresa May has kicked the Brexit can so far down the road it's not even on the same street anymore

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 03:13 PM   #4266
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The last paragraph is why I have become such a strong advocate of term limits.
Make it so you can't make a lifetime career out of elective office, and you will maybe get people who are more interested in actually making things better and getting good policy in place then in getting relected. You might be more willing to make a unpopular vote that is the right thing to do if you know you are only going be there for a few years anyway. (Actual day to day running of the country is the job of the permanent government employees anyway).

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2019, 03:15 PM   #4267
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
The whole Brexit fiasco is a result of wanting to kick the can down the road:ie, avoid making a difficult decision.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 12:20 AM   #4268
SezMe
post-pre-born

The last paragraph is why I have become such a strong advocate of term limits.
Make it so you can't make a lifetime career out of elective office, and you will maybe get people who are more interested in actually making things better and getting good policy in place then in getting relected. You might be more willing to make a unpopular vote that is the right thing to do if you know you are only going be there for a few years anyway. (Actual day to day running of the country is the job of the permanent government employees anyway).
Do you see better governance in California post term limits?

Mod InfoThread closed due to size. Continued here.
Posted By:zooterkin

Last edited by zooterkin; 16th March 2019 at 06:37 AM.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics