ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags snopes

Old 26th September 2019, 06:41 PM   #161
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
And if you google Mister Ed was a zebra you find a pretty convincing (there are a few clues) article at Snopes telling you that yes, he was. You don't see a problem with that? Snopes is not supposed to be the Onion or the Babylon Bee.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 11:46 PM   #162
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
And if you google Mister Ed was a zebra you find a pretty convincing (there are a few clues) article at Snopes telling you that yes, he was. You don't see a problem with that? Snopes is not supposed to be the Onion or the Babylon Bee.
Snopes is whatever its owners want it to be.

You seem to have had a moment of " lack of sense of humour" consider even the most ancient and distinguished newspapers have included light hearted pieces over the years, indeed some of them even carry (meant to be) funny cartoons.
Old 27th September 2019, 12:12 AM   #163
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
I think he’s parodying the argument to show it can lead to a bad conclusion.
Yep, I called that way wrong.
Old 27th September 2019, 05:45 AM   #164
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I think you are trying way too hard in your campaign to discredit Snopes.

"A few clues"? Gimme a break. Someone would have to make a conscious effort to miss those "few clues".

ISF has a "Humor" subforum. Do you rail against that? Or "community" which is mostly humor.

How could they possibly have any place on a skeptics board?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 06:07 AM   #165
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
That's not a credible argument. You cannot say what this family, whom you don't know and have no connection with, "would have done" based on something a completely different, wholly unconnected family facing an entirely different situation has done.
So where does the information about the supposed $1,200 payment come from? Where does any of the "detail" of the claim come from?
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 06:14 AM   #166
Cavemonster
Philosopher

The core feature, and pretty hard to miss on the page, is Snopes rating.

Do you actually believe that there is a real risk of misinformation here (Beyond the general risk that comes from satire existing and some people being stupid)?
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 07:53 AM   #167
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

You seem to have missed the fact that the Lost Legends section is specifically designed to impart the message "Don't believe everything you read, no matter the source."

In fact they state....

Quote:
This section graphically demonstrates the pitfalls of falling into the lazy habit of taking as gospel any one information outlet’s unsupported word. We could have put up a page saying “Don’t believe everything you read, no matter how trustworthy the source,” but that wouldn’t have conveyed the message half as well as showing through direct example just how easy it is to fall into the “I got it from so-and-so, therefore it must be true” mindset. That’s the same mindset that powers urban legends, the same basic mistake that impels countless well-meaning folks to confidently assert “True story; my aunt (husband, best friend, co-worker, boss, teacher, minister) told me so.”

No single truth purveyor, no matter how reliable, should be considered an infallible font of accurate information. Folks make mistakes. Or they get duped. Or they have a bad day at the fact-checking bureau. Or some days they’re just being silly. To not allow for any of this is to risk stepping into a pothole the size of Lake Superior.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2019, 08:22 PM   #168
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

This whole thread confuses me. If you look at the the About page, you can get a full explanation of what ratings they give to stories and why.

Specifically, the "Unproven" rating says this:

Quote:
This rating indicates that insufficient evidence exists to establish the given claim as true, but the claim cannot be definitively proved false. This rating typically involves claims for which there is little or no affirmative evidence, but for which declaring them to be false would require the difficult (if not impossible) task of our being able to prove a negative or accurately discern someone else’s thoughts and motivations.
How is this in any way unclear?

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events