ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th September 2019, 01:16 PM   #41
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Check Amazon. USB sticks and other media sold as Linux.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/s?k=linux...m_browse-bin_1

Yeah, but they're selling USB sticks and other media.
Old 17th September 2019, 12:36 AM   #42
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Yeah, but they're selling USB sticks and other media.
And charging extra for Linux. The simple fact is you can buy Linux if someone will sell it to you. If I go on the RHEL web page there's a big button "Buy it".
Old 17th September 2019, 05:07 AM   #43
jeremyp
Muse

You can't buy Linux!
Of course you can.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 05:11 AM   #44
jeremyp
Muse

No you can't. You can buy some perks like service contracts or special need distributions etc, but you can't buy Linux itself.
If you are going to be that pedantic, you can't buy macOS - it comes free with a Mac. You can't buy Windows - only a licence to use it. In fact, that applies to pretty much any software.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 09:39 AM   #45
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Why would you want to ruin a PC by installing Apple's crapware on it.

To piss off the Linux, Windoze and Apple fanbois all at once!!

Really? I've been using notebooks for 27 years and have had no more problems that with desktops.

They're problematic to install the best OS known to man, OSX!!!

And they suck. See my comment upthread.

@Shemp, look what YOUR thread has turned into!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 09:54 AM   #46
Wudang
BOFH

Why would you want to ruin a PC by installing Apple's crapware on it?
Yeah, but your scientists techies were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
Old 17th September 2019, 10:27 AM   #47
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
To piss off the Linux, Windoze and Apple fanbois all at once!!

They're problematic to install the best OS known to man, OSX!!!

And they suck. See my comment upthread.

@Shemp, look what YOUR thread has turned into!
Way back in the days when Usenet was a thing, arguments about best OS, best text editor (EMACS or VI), etc. were called religious wars.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 10:32 AM   #48
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Way back in the days when Usenet was a thing, arguments about best OS, best text editor (EMACS or VI), etc. were called religious wars.

Old 17th September 2019, 10:48 AM   #49
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Isn't that "MacOS" thing just another crappy window manager for Linux? I think I'll first try ratpoison... sounds interesting:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 17th September 2019, 11:30 PM   #50
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Isn't that "MacOS" thing just another crappy window manager for Linux?
I’m pretty sure MacOS is nothing to do with Linux, nor is it just a window manager. It’s a UNIX system, originally BSD based.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 09:46 AM   #51
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Iím pretty sure MacOS is nothing to do with Linux, nor is it just a window manager. Itís a UNIX system, originally BSD based.
That matches my recollection, too. It could be said that MacOS is a GUI for UNIX. "Window manager" is pretty much an X Window concept, and most Linux GUI's are still based on X. I think a pretty good case could be made that the MacOS GUI is better than X.

Back in the dark ages, I used a DG Unix server using Motiff as the window manager. I actually liked it. It was pretty basic, with just a menu to launch programs that popped up with a right or middle (I forget which) mouse click. The menu was configured by editing a text file in your home directory, and it was simple to add programs to it, as long as you knew the directory path to the program. A lot of the more recent Linux "Desktop environments" I've used have way too many bells and whistles, and make configuring launch menus or desktop icons way more difficult than it should be.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 12:55 PM   #52
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Folks, this is the S Mode thread. We were at trolling each other.
Old 18th September 2019, 04:08 PM   #53
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Biggest annoyance about S Mode was having to register an email address to switch it off.
Old 18th September 2019, 04:18 PM   #54
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
Biggest annoyance about S Mode was having to register an email address to switch it off.
Microsoft owns you now!
Old 19th September 2019, 10:01 PM   #55
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Iím pretty sure MacOS is nothing to do with Linux, nor is it just a window manager. Itís a UNIX system, originally BSD based.
How to get rich. Take a free OS and charge people for it.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet