IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th November 2021, 01:08 PM   #1
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

The "Play Stupid Games, Win Stupid Prizes" Thread

Our first contestants enter small business without masks, get told to leave, assault the owner, steal from her, call cops to report she assaulted them, lie and bull to cops, show cops video they claim backs them up, get arrested. All while live streaming to the world.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Idiot: "Here's our video."

Cops: "Thanks for the evidence. You're under arrest."

Some people just make a cop's job easy.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard

Last edited by shemp; 6th November 2021 at 01:10 PM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2021, 01:49 PM   #2
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

If the Facebook Lawyer in the video is referring to Federal Code #245, that is about racial discrimination, not mask mandates, i.e. health orders.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2021, 02:23 PM   #3
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
If the Facebook Lawyer in the video is referring to Federal Code #245, that is about racial discrimination, not mask mandates, i.e. health orders.
They misread it as "Facial discrimination".
Old 6th November 2021, 03:00 PM   #4
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Our first contestants enter small business without masks, get told to leave, assault the owner, steal from her, call cops to report she assaulted them, lie and bull to cops, show cops video they claim backs them up, get arrested. All while live streaming to the world.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

So they went to a place of business, thought they could deny that place of business their rights in favour of their rights.

No. That is not how anything works. Why were these people too stupid to understand that? Because they are stupid, i guess. I don't care anymore. Let 'em die. They are not much use anyway.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2021, 03:23 PM   #5
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I AGREE

So they went to a place of business, thought they could deny that place of business their rights in favour of their rights.

No. That is not how anything works. Why were these people too stupid to understand that? Because they are stupid, i guess. I don't care anymore. Let 'em die. They are not much use anyway.

Frankly, I have little respect for anyone who thought Stormfront was a safe place, That's a flat out Nazi.

I have little tolerance for that.

Last edited by abaddon; 6th November 2021 at 03:25 PM.
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2021, 06:55 PM   #6
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Once again, props to my former Boss. He was right: you can't make this stuff up. Details from Yahoo News:
Quote:
An Oregon couple who complained their rights were violated when they were told to wear masks in a bakery were arrested after showing police their video of the violent confrontation at the store, officials said. Portland-area couple Ricki Collin, 34, and Amy Hall, 45, were charged with third-degree assault following their arrest in downtown Eugene on Wednesday, according to police.

The video shows a man and a woman walking into the Crumb Together bakery. (The video, filmed by the man, can be seen [in OP] and features NSFW language.) In the store, a person ― identified in some news reports as the store’s owner ― asks the couple to leave because they’re not wearing masks. They refuse, and a verbal confrontation follows. The woman can be seen shoving the owner, who then gets a baseball bat from behind the counter and again asks the couple to leave. Yahoo News link

The cops in this incident came across as the good guys. Very professional. Or as they say in NYPD: "Get on da ground!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Get on the ground.jpg (62.8 KB, 26 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2021, 08:02 PM   #7
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

It appears these are some "Constitutional auditor" types who test out certain Constitutional rights. Those people are annoying. Some of those people do know the law and just push it to the border line by becoming annoying nuisances trying to provoke a response while being technically within the law.

These people got almost everything almost completely wrong. There is a much longer video out there. He is claiming discrimination under 18 USC 245 which only prohibits certain public businesses from interfering with (such as refusing service) people "because of his race, color, religion or national origin". Non-mask wearers are not a protected class under that law.

He says they can't just tell him to leave and then if he doesn't leave it is trespassing. He says they can only tell you to leave if you are doing something unlawful. That is wrong. If someone tells a person to leave private property and they do not, then they are there unlawfully and therefore are trespassing. He cites some case law, which is just some blurb he found on the Internet) and interprets that completely wrong. And so on.

I find it odd that someone so interested in law and protecting rights doesn't actually do something like go to law school. Become Constitutional lawyer fighting for people's rights. Or even a prosecutor or judge. Perhaps a legislator who will have a voice in clarifying the laws.

He doesn't mention something that indicates why he doesn't do that. He is talking to a cop about how mask laws are Unconstitutional and the police take away people rights and that the cops should arrest all the prosecutors and judges and stuff like that.

He argues that you only need a GED to become a cop, and copes enforce the law, therefor they must have the ability to understand and interpret the law. Therefore, anyone with a GED is as qualified to interpret the law as well as any prosecutor or judge. That is obviously wrong. But indicates that he thinks that his specific and fundamental interpretations of law (based on looking at a couple websites) is correct and that the police, lawyers, judges, probably law schools, and basically everybody else is wrong.

This seems like teenagers saying "You're not the boss of me. If you can just make rules, then I can just make up rules." It is a cognitive dissonance where there is no authority, but there is authority, but only under certain interpretations of the law, but the law is invalid for some obscure reason and anybody can make up their own interpretations, and so on. It is simultaneously arguing opposing philosophies while shoehorning everything into a desired interpretation. Such minds are filled with so much confusion but also filled with so much certainty.
Old 6th November 2021, 08:45 PM   #8
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

This isn't the first time "Portland-area couple Ricki Collin, 34, and Amy Hall, 45," have had a brush with the law over trespassing or been arrested as a result. Below is a Nov. 5th report from KEZI-TV, the ABC affiliate in Eugene, Ore.
Quote:
Bryan Hinson, Douglas Education Service District assistant superintendent of special education, said he had an encounter with Collins and Hall at about 10 a.m. on Oct. 15. "My assistant came back and said, 'Hey, we're having an issue with some people out at the reception area,' and asked if I could come and deal with the situation," Hinson said.

Collin was reportedly recording a video, which he later posted on the YouTube channel. In the video, Collin and Hall can be seen walking into the Roseburg Public Library, which is where Douglas ESD operates. Hinson asked Collin and Hall to leave when they refused to put masks on. He then asked the receptionist to call the police department non-emergency line. "I said, OK, at this point you're trespassing. And from that point, the police handled it," Hinson said. KEZI TV
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2021, 10:00 PM   #9
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
This isn't the first time "Portland-area couple Ricki Collin, 34, and Amy Hall, 45," have had a brush with the law over trespassing or been arrested as a result. Below is a Nov. 5th report from KEZI-TV, the ABC affiliate in Eugene, Ore.
They have had a number of run-ins with the law. They post on various social media platforms un der the name "Polly Audis". I will just go ahead and assume that is a sort of code phrase for 'police audits'.

A thing I find strange with this and SovCit type of incidents is that they insist on arguing legal technicalities with the police. It seems they think individual cops just make up their own legal interpretations. Police are responsible for handling situations doing investigations of facts and making arrests. Charges are up to the District Attorney.

Police do what they are trained to do. They may be told in some cases that they have discretion and make decisions on that. But they don't interpret Constitutional law. Lawyers do that, which might be lawyers for the police department or the District Attorney or the State Attorney General. Lawyers create the interstation and create or advise on training manuals and programs. Cops follow the training they receive. If they don't, they can get fired and open themselves up to civil and criminal liabilities.

This is like arguing technicalities of Constitutional law at a McDonald's drive through window. Actually, it really is just that. Arguing interpretations of Constitutional law not accepted by the government or really anybody with a person at a cookie shop.

If your intent is to challenge the constitutionality of a law, break the law, get arrested, and then take it to court and make your case. Spitting out legal citations and often wrong case citations at a cookie store owner or even a cop is not going to do anything.

It seems the purpose is not to actually challenge the law, but to create public outrage over the law.
Old 6th November 2021, 10:17 PM   #10
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
I find it odd that someone so interested in law and protecting rights doesn't actually do something like go to law school. Become Constitutional lawyer fighting for people's rights. Or even a prosecutor or judge. Perhaps a legislator who will have a voice in clarifying the laws.
I don't, because those kinds of people are either uneducated or poorly educated morons who are too stupid to attend law school. They are pretty much limited to making idiots of themselves the way this pair of nutjobs did.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, bigots and homophobes to describe people who have a properly functioning moral compass!

Last edited by smartcooky; 6th November 2021 at 10:19 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2021, 10:32 PM   #11
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Another stupid anti-masker wins a stupid prize, this time in Canada

I AGREE
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, bigots and homophobes to describe people who have a properly functioning moral compass!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2021, 11:19 PM   #12
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I don't, because those kinds of people are either uneducated or poorly educated morons who are too stupid to attend law school. They are pretty much limited to making idiots of themselves the way this pair of nutjobs did.
I do find it odd because this is what they say they are all about. In another video he says, "We can only change things if we learn about the law." Yes. Exactly. Go to law school and learn about the law. Get a degree, pass the bar, get a license, then change things.

But he doesn't do that. He doesn't even want to do that. He says he does, but he doesn't. He does not want to learn about the law to change things. He wants to check out a couple websites and make up stuff to convince his uneducated self that he can argue legal interpretations with law enforcement officers.

I find that strange. It seems these people have a complete lack of how anything works. A cop doesn't make a decision on a complex controversial Constitutional decision. Lawyers make decisions on those issues and that that funnels down to the training of the cops.

If they really expected change, they would break the law, get arrested, then challenge the law in court. For most of these arguments, they would probably have to go the Supreme Court. They would have to be lawyers or at least hire lawyers.

But they don't do that. They instead argue legal interpretations with cops.

That indicate that they know that they cannot win in court and instead argue their "case" with people who cannot get into an argument with that case. A cop is not going to present a legal argument against some unusual interpretation of Constitutional law.

These people don't make their legal arguments in court because they know they will lose. They make their legal arguments to cops because they know that the cops have no choice but to disagree and then they can create this conflict and present it as unreasonable.

They are forcing a fight about legal matters where they know that the police cannot address those legal matters and then claiming that they have some relevance because the police can't address those legal matters.
Old 7th November 2021, 01:38 AM   #13
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
This seems like teenagers saying "You're not the boss of me. If you can just make rules, then I can just make up rules."

That’s pretty much Sovereign Citizen/FOTL in a nutshell, although you could maybe leave out the bit about rules.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2021, 02:38 AM   #14
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

It’s cargo cult lawyering.
Old 7th November 2021, 07:07 AM   #15
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

What I don't get is statements the anti-vaxxer man, Ricki Collin, makes to the police upon being informed that he is going to be arrested. Starting at around 4:10 in the Youtube video posted by Shemp in the original post, Collin tells the police:

Quote:
"Well, this is definitely an unlawful outcome, furthering your unlawful racketeering activity."
Racketeering activity?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hows that again.jpg (56.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 7th November 2021, 07:31 AM   #16
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Racketeering activity?

Yeah, that's pretty standard SovCit nonsense. The details vary a bit person to person, but essentially the whole government and the court system are "private entities" who have hijacked "The Law" for their own private profit and power.

The police then are just the enforcement arm of this illegitimate racket, like Mafia legbreakers, so anything they do to arrest these guys just promotes the racketeering.

ETA: so when you start to think about how stupid these people really are, they are (in their own minds, at least) arguing with the Mafia legbreakers that they don't actually owe them protection money, because the Mafia is just a criminal organization with no legal powers.

Sure, that's technically accurate, but you're still going to get your legs broken.

Last edited by Horatius; 7th November 2021 at 07:33 AM.
Horatius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2021, 09:35 AM   #17
sackett
Philosopher

OT, in response to abaddon's post.

Semi-words like Duh can carry different meanings depending on intonation. Here on line, we must rely on punctuation, alas, but let me try to illustrate:

Duh! Especially in the phrase "Well duh!" = Jeeze you're dumb!

Duh? = What are you, dumb?

Duh. = Yeah, you're dumb.

In English, and I'm sure many languages contain close analogies, adding almost any consonant to Uh will create a semi-word as useful as Duh:

Muh. = You lookin' for trouble? Especially when lengthened: Muuuuh!

Huh. = Dull comprehension.

Huh! = Amazement, especially arising from ignorance.

Huh? = Blank incomprehension.

Wuh? = A request for (usually very basic) enlightenment.

Guh! = A marginal semi-expression: Words fail me! or Words defeat me!

Buh! = You can't be serious!

Puh! = It tastes bad!

Fuh. Used when biting off a common vulgarism.

The above is only a tentative exploration of this perhaps deservedly obscure field of linguistics. I might call it a semi- or even demi-field. All right, I will.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.

Last edited by sackett; 7th November 2021 at 09:38 AM. Reason: The thread has progressed, or whatever it is, far from the post if interest.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2021, 10:11 AM   #18
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

If you refuse a person service and ask them to leave is that two independent acts or two parts of the same act?

Is the space provided for customers part of the service a bakery provides? If so, but you declare they're not customers for an unlawful reason, then are they really not customers? In which case, would you not need another reason to ask them to leave?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2021, 10:51 AM   #19
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

The first CNN article I looked at reported:
Quote:
They were escorted out by police, but were not charged with a crime. CNN link
I looked further and found this (earlier) CNN report
Quote:
Officers responded and asked the men three times “politely to leave the location because they were being asked to leave by employees because they were trespassing.” When the men again refused to leave, they were arrested “without incident,” [Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard] Ross said. The men were taken to a police station and released when it became clear Starbucks didn’t want to press charges. “They did a service that they were called to do,” Ross said of the officers. “And if you think about it logically, that if a business calls and they say that someone is here that I no longer wish to be in my business, (officers) now have a legal obligation to carry out their duties. And they did just that.”

Ross, who is black, referenced his own experiences while making his case, saying, “As an African-American male, I am very aware of implicit bias.” CNN report
Sorry for the anguish this apparently caused.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross.jpg (70.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 7th November 2021, 01:09 PM   #20
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I would bet what is probably a lot more typical was an incident I read about involving a black man with his family who was denied service in a restaurant. The host told the man there were no tables available, then blatantly led the all-white party behind the black family to a table. The black man said he was both annoyed and embarrassed but he and his family left and went to another restaurant. He said it was regrettable but "it happens." He said, "If they don't want to serve me because I'm black, I don't want to patronize the place."
Skeptical stand point : Perhaps "no tables available" meant they were all booked? The white family had a reservation?
Old 7th November 2021, 01:34 PM   #21
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Ironically, someone in the party that was immediately seated, was appalled by what had happened. He decided he couldn't just stand by and do nothing. He excused himself from the table, went out to the parking lot and gave the Black man his business card.

"That was outrageous. If you want to file a complaint, I'm your witness."

That's how it got in the news.
Old 7th November 2021, 02:18 PM   #22
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Skeptical stand point : Perhaps "no tables available" meant they were all booked? The white family had a reservation?
And no doubt, since they are charged by the word, the host could not afford to bypass the misunderstanding by saying no unreserved tables were available.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2021, 06:08 PM   #23
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
And no doubt, since they are charged by the word, the host could not afford to bypass the misunderstanding by saying no unreserved tables were available.

Ironically, someone in the party that was immediately seated, was appalled by what had happened. He decided he couldn't just stand by and do nothing. He excused himself from the table, went out to the parking lot and gave the Black man his business card.

"That was outrageous. If you want to file a complaint, I'm your witness."
So much for that totally made-up excuse!

Last edited by smartcooky; 7th November 2021 at 06:09 PM.
Old 13th November 2021, 06:02 PM   #24
shemp

Our next contestant got a restraining order against an antifascist researcher who revealed that he was at the Capitol on Jan. 6. This might turn out to cost the plaintiff a lot of money.

A Right-Wing Brawler Asked a Court to Protect Him From an Antifascist’s Tweets

Quote:
FOR TWO MONTHS NOW, the animosity between right-wing activists and left-wing antifascists, which regularly leads to violence at street protests, has played out in a setting where physical combat is not allowed: the Los Angeles Superior Court in Torrance, California.

The legal battle began on September 3 when Adam Kiefer, a far-right activist, obtained a temporary restraining order against Chad Loder, an antifascist researcher who tweeted evidence that Kiefer was at the Capitol in Washington, D.C., during the January 6 riot.

Kiefer, 28, is a trucker from Riverside County, California, who has become a fixture at Proud Boys rallies and thrown punches at far-right protests against vaccine mandates and Black Lives Matter. Loder, 45, is a tech company founder and cybersecurity expert from Los Angeles who posts meticulous, open-source investigations of local right-wing extremists on a Twitter feed with more than 100,000 followers.
In a nutshell, Loder presented evidence of Kiefer's activities. Kiefer got a temporary restraining order. Later, judge rules that his request for a restraining order was an abuse of the legal system designed to silence Loder. Loder files an anti-SLAPP lawsuit to be heard in January. Kiefer may end up paying tens of thousands of dollars to cover Loder's legal fees. Play stupid game, win stupid prize.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2021, 02:32 AM   #25
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Here’s a rather older one, referred to in Johnson v Browning:

Quote:
And he remembered another very lately, where a fellow brought an action for saying of him “he is a highwayman;” and it appearing upon evidence that he was so, he was taken in Court; committed to Newgate; convicted at the next sessions; arid hanged. So that people ought to advise well before they bring such actions.

And Darnell remembered the like fate which befel a client of his.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2021, 08:23 AM   #26
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Here’s a rather older one, referred to in Johnson v Browning:
Nice, but I think poor old Oscar Wilde remains the poster child of the inadvisable lawsuit.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2021, 03:48 PM   #27
shemp

Our next contestant: ‘It’s A Free Country’: Man Threatens TSA Agent’s Life, Throws Checkpoint Stanchion, Strips Naked & Masturbates, Charges State

Quote:
Telling agents he “did not have to stop” because “it’s a free country,” a 44-year-old Minneapolis man is charged with threatening TSA workers at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport. The charges state that he also swung a stanchion line post before throwing it at agents, taking his clothes off and masturbating.

The Hennepin County Attorney’s Office has filed a complaint against Frank Towers. Investigators say the incident happened at the skyway checkpoint early last Friday morning.

Towers allegedly told one TSA employee that he was going to “kill” them. Officers gave him commands to stop and move away from the checkpoint, which he did not abide.

The charges state that’s when Towers was Tasered. He then swung his arms above his head in an attempt to hit an officer. Backup officers took Towers into custody while he continued to fight with them.

Surveillance video footage showed Towers punching and headbutting TV screens at the airport, taking his clothes off and masturbating. This happened about an hour before the incident at the checkpoint.

Towers has been charged with fourth-degree assault against a peace officer, as well as making threats of violence with reckless disregard for risk, both felonies. He also has at least three charges in other criminal cases still pending, involving domestic assault in Olmsted County.

Last edited by shemp; 15th November 2021 at 03:51 PM.
Old 15th November 2021, 05:39 PM   #28
Paul2
Philosopher

I'm not sure whether I want your cache of this incident to be empty at this point, or not.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2021, 11:24 AM   #29
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

"He is currently in custody. If convicted, Towers could face up to 5 years in prison if convicted of the threats of violence charge."
Sounds to me like he doesn't need to be in a jail cell so much as a padded cell.
Old 16th November 2021, 11:33 AM   #30
crescent
Illuminator

"He is currently in custody. If convicted, Towers could face up to 5 years in prison if convicted of the threats of violence charge."
Sounds to me like he doesn't need to be in a jail cell so much as a padded cell.
There's truth in that. Seems more like a mental health issue than a being a violent jerk issue.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2021, 01:06 PM   #31
GodMark2
Master Poster

Sadly, this is the USA, where we shuttered our state mental institutions in the 70s and 80s to save money, which was then given to the police to buy surplus military equipment and more jail space.
Old 17th November 2021, 09:45 AM   #32
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

No doubt when or if he goes to trial, that will be his defense: I was under some variant of stress, and this wasn't the real me.

Old 17th November 2021, 10:18 AM   #33
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
No doubt when or if he goes to trial, that will be his defense: I was under some variant of stress, and this wasn't the real me.
And he'd probably be right. I mean, I always wonder at a story like this. If this is how the guy goes through his day...how did he make it this far? How did he get through yesterday without stripping naked and masturbating at the intersection in front of his house, screaming at police that it is a free country?

It sounds to me like the silicone chip inside his head got switched to overload, and it was in fact not the 'real him'.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2021, 06:15 AM   #34
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
And he'd probably be right. I mean, I always wonder at a story like this. If this is how the guy goes through his day...how did he make it this far? How did he get through yesterday without stripping naked and masturbating at the intersection in front of his house, screaming at police that it is a free country?

It sounds to me like the silicone chip inside his head got switched to overload, and it was in fact not the 'real him'.
Perhaps, but is the real you what you don't do when you can't or what you do do when you can.? I can certainly imagine that this was something of an aberration or an excess, but you don't do it, I think, unless it's been something you wish you could.

Old 19th November 2021, 12:39 PM   #35
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Err no, because he can see no reasons, 'cause there are no reasons. This incident happened on a Friday, so he can't use the excuse that he doesn't like Mondays!
Old 20th November 2021, 08:02 AM   #36
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

This belongs in the Honorable Mention category.

Quote:
Think Like A Criminal

A former Pittsburgh defense lawyer who once boasted in a quirky online ad
seen worldwide that he thinks "like a criminal" admitted Tuesday that he is one.

Daniel Muessig pleaded guilty to conspiring to distribute 100 kilograms or
more of marijuana and possession of marijuana following a 2019 investigation
by an FBI task force. Muessig, 39, of Squirrel Hill, admitted that his apartment
on Covode Street was a stash house and base of operations for the network.

Muessig made headlines around the globe in 2014 with an in-your-face YouTube
ad that featured his pals pretending to commit crimes and him asking:
"Need a criminal defense lawyer? Then you should hire a lawyer who thinks
like a criminal."
Old 26th November 2021, 01:14 PM   #37
shemp

Sometimes they just make it so easy. Like this guy.

Florida man charged with 600 counts of sexual assault on a child

Quote:
PENSACOLA, Fla. (WKRG) — A Florida man is in jail after a pastor turned him into authorities for child sexual assault.

31-year-old Robert Cota from Pensacola is charged with 600 counts of sexual battery and 600 counts of incest.

A pastor said Cota went to his church’s new members’ event and Cota asked to speak to him at the end. He said the conversation was about the church guideline book pertaining to marriage, gender and sexual conduct. The pastor stated Cota had a problem with the word “incest.”

The pastor said he told Cota what he was doing is not right and that Cota needed to report himself to authorities. The pastor gave the sheriff’s office a sheet with Cota’s current address and phone number that he filled out while at the event.

Deputies located the victim and her mother at another address. The victim stated she had been “having sex” with Cota since she was seven years old. She estimated it happened 600 times over several years.
Yeah, tell the pastor that you think incest is OK and that you've engaged in it. Also make sure you give him your address and phone number.

Old 26th November 2021, 11:22 PM   #38
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Sometimes they just make it so easy. Like this guy.

Florida man charged with 600 counts of sexual assault on a child

Yeah, tell the pastor that you think incest is OK and that you've engaged in it. Also make sure you give him your address and phone number.
The holey babble states that child abuse rape and incest are OK. Surely you are not going against what the good book says?

Old 28th November 2021, 12:10 PM   #39
shemp

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
The holey babble states that child abuse rape and incest are OK. Surely you are not going against what the good book says?
I am. And don't call me Surely.

Old 28th November 2021, 03:30 PM   #40
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I am. And don't call me Surely.
Roger, over.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events