IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th November 2021, 05:37 AM   #2441
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Why would that appear in a biology text book when race isn't a biological concept?
I don't expect it would, hence my challenge.

The fact remains that race IS a social construct and blocking schools from saying so directly facilitates the distribution of pseudoscience.
Who has blocked which schools from saying so?

Even in your own links it's been clear that intersectionality is just an application of set theory. It says people can be discriminated against on multiple grounds and that the people facing the most discrimination are those that are experiencing the cumulative effect of being in multiple discriminated against groups.
It says somewhat more than that; have a glance at the wiki on intersectionalityWP to get a sense of the breadth of the topic.

Basically you are demanding schools teach things that are in direct opposition to current scientific consensus.
I cannot recall making such demands. Have you confused me with Chris Rufo?

Last edited by d4m10n; 15th November 2021 at 05:40 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2021, 05:30 PM   #2442
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
I don't expect it would, hence my challenge.

Who has blocked which schools from saying so?
You have suggested doing so is "teaching CRT"

Here they are in even briefer form:
  1. Social construction of race
  2. Racism is normalized, persistent, & systemic
  3. Interest convergence / material determinism
  4. Differential racialization thesis
  5. Intersectionality / anti-essentialism
  6. Voice of color thesis

Teaching CRT consists of teaching these and closely related concepts (e.g. whiteness studies, LatCrit theory). You don't need to teach every one of them—unless you happen to be a college professor doing a survey course on Critical Race Theory—but if you are teaching some of them, then you are teaching critical race theory.

It says somewhat more than that; have a glance at the wiki on intersectionalityWP to get a sense of the breadth of the topic.
I have already looked at it. IMO it doesn't support your assertion that there is more to it then that. Also worth noting is that most of the real criticism of it comes from other feminists. Just as CRT itself is criticized primarily for abandoning liberalism, intersectionality is criticized primarily for it being in contradiction with other theories in feminism.

TBH if it wasn't for the race politics involved in rallying people against it, I suspect CRT would be a darling of the right. All the substantive objections to it seem to come from Liberals while conservatives are just scared because Black is scary to them.
Old 15th November 2021, 05:52 PM   #2443
d4m10n
Philosopher

You have suggested doing so is "teaching CRT"
And? Teaching the key components of a theory is how you teach the theory.

Just as CRT itself is criticized primarily for abandoning liberalism, intersectionality is criticized primarily for it being in contradiction with other theories in feminism.
So long as you are primarily surveying liberal feminists, this is true.

TBH if it wasn't for the race politics involved in rallying people against it, I suspect CRT would be a darling of the right.
Pull the other one. There is an entire family of critical theoriesWP and the right fears them all because of their origins in Marxism.

Last edited by d4m10n; 15th November 2021 at 05:56 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2021, 04:48 AM   #2444
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

From the New York Times opinion colum...

Quote:
If you follow debates over the strident style of social justice politics often derided as “wokeness,” you might have heard about a document called “Advancing Health Equity: A Guide to Language, Narrative and Concepts.” Put out by the American Medical Association and the Association of American Medical Colleges Center for Health Justice, the guide is a long list of terms and phrases that some earnest people have decided others in the medical field should avoid using, along with their preferred substitutes.

Some of these substitutions make sense; health care professionals shouldn’t be referring to people who’ve been in prison as “ex-cons.” Some are a matter of keeping up with the times, like capitalizing Black when talking about Black people. Some, however, are obnoxious and presumptuous and would impede clear communication. For example, the guide suggests replacing “vulnerable” with “oppressed,” even though they’re not synonymous: it’s not oppression that makes the elderly vulnerable to Covid.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/15/o...inclusion.html

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2021, 09:21 AM   #2445
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
From the New York Times opinion colum...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/15/o...inclusion.html
Another interesting point from Goldberg's opinion piece:
Quote:
As the scholars Frank Dobbin and Alexandra Kalev wrote in The Economist, hundreds “of studies of anti-bias training show that even the best programs have short-lived effects on stereotypes and no discernible effect on discriminatory behavior.” Instead of training sessions, they suggest that employers should focus their diversity efforts on concrete efforts like recruitment.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2021, 06:15 AM   #2446
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Something that's bouncing around right-wing commentators, supposedly from a New York School, though no one is willing to state which one.

This post on twitter is a typical example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPkQxzZFPOc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FEPtu1_WQAcPLfZ.jpg (120.3 KB, 26 views)

Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2021, 06:49 AM   #2447
angrysoba
Philosophile

Something that's bouncing around right-wing commentators, supposedly from a New York School, though no one is willing to state which one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPkQxzZFPOc
Advert for the Royal Marines? That's some woke **** right there!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2021, 08:15 AM   #2448
Matthew Best
Philosopher

"folx"?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2021, 08:50 AM   #2449
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
"folx"?
It's a way to make an already genderless term even more inclusive.

I assume you meant to paste this post:

https://twitter.com/BrentAWilliams2/...73087098892298

Last edited by d4m10n; 19th November 2021 at 08:51 AM.
Old 19th November 2021, 10:02 AM   #2450
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
"folx"?
Folks. AKA, People.
Old 21st November 2021, 01:33 AM   #2451
Matthew Best
Philosopher

It's a way to make an already genderless term even more inclusive.
And how does it do that?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2021, 07:16 AM   #2452
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

And how does it do that?
I don't see any way this makes sense, but it apparently does exist as a way of expressing inclusion of groups considered marginalized, on the frail presumption that because many people who refer to "folks" exclude them, somehow the word excludes them as well. Kind of like some feminists using "womyn," I think. It seems pretty stupid to me.

Kind of like some authors' use of a misspelling in quoted speech, to connote the backwardness of a character even though the speech is pronounced exactly the same.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 01:51 PM   #2453
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

An interesting case of where the 'Theory of Critical Race' can lead outside the United States, a BIPOC denied government funding in Canada because he stated that he will hire the best person for the position, irrespective of their skin color...

Quote:
An award-winning Canadian scientist said he has been refused two federal government grants for his research on the grounds of “lack of diversity” — even though he is originally from India and has repeatedly suffered racism.

Patanjali Kambhampati, a professor in the chemistry department at Montreal’s McGill University, believes the death knell for the latest grant was a line in the application form where he was asked about hiring staff based on diversity and inclusion considerations. He says his mistake was maintaining that he would hire on merit any research assistant who was qualified, regardless of their identity.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...fraid-to-think

...must have some 'white blood'...

Old 26th November 2021, 02:02 PM   #2454
autumn1971
Illuminator

An interesting case of where the 'Theory of Critical Race' can lead outside the United States, a BIPOC denied government funding in Canada because he stated that he will hire the best person for the position, irrespective of their skin color...

The word "believes" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in the Dr.'s assertion.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 02:29 PM   #2455
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
The more fundamental issue isn't why that particular grant was rejected, but *should* grants such as that be rejected?

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 03:17 PM   #2456
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
The more fundamental issue isn't why that particular grant was rejected, but *should* grants such as that be rejected?
The article says it was rejected at the bureaucratic level and specifically mentions the insufficiency of the equality, diversity and inclusivity part of the application. Of course that makes it sound like a trivial reason for rejecting and clearly not based on the science. That would be bad. But to me there is a bit of a red flag here given that he has an instant narrative that uses a lot of buzzwords….

Quote:
But Kambhampati said he believes basing his hiring decisions on merit is a valid, moral position to hold.

“I think what’s happened is the woke and the social justice warriors have made a moralistic argument the way the religious right used to make moralistic arguments. And now people are afraid to challenge them. But I think it’s okay to say I believe that equality is a morally valid position. I believe that meritocracy is a morally valid position.”
Did he engage in some kind of stunt here or did he deliberately go out of his way to make a statement on an application?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2021, 06:16 AM   #2457
Dani
Master Poster

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I don't see any way this makes sense, but it apparently does exist as a way of expressing inclusion of groups considered marginalized, on the frail presumption that because many people who refer to "folks" exclude them, somehow the word excludes them as well. Kind of like some feminists using "womyn," I think. It seems pretty stupid to me.

Kind of like some authors' use of a misspelling in quoted speech, to connote the backwardness of a character even though the speech is pronounced exactly the same.
And I guess the primary motivation for its use devolves into ingroup identification, given how pointless it is otherwise.

A similar phenomenon happens in my country, although gender is more prevalent in the Spanish language, so the effort makes a little more sense (our main problem is being succint while inclusive).
Dani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2021, 05:12 PM   #2458
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

An interesting case in Canada, the Students Union at the University of Toronto passed a resolution requiring Jewish students to only buy kosher food from suppliers that could be proven not to support Israel.

The Jewish students objected and submitted to the Student Union a resolution to ensure they would not be discriminated against. The Student Union then edited the second resolution to remove the language they 'objected to' (e.g. Everything that stated that Jews should be treated like everyone else.) before passing it.

Now the President of the University of Toronto has issued a statement expressing concern about both resolutions.

Quote:
The University of Toronto is opposed to all forms of discrimination, and committed to the protection of freedom of speech and academic freedom. The University was alarmed to learn about two motions passed at the Scarborough Campus Students’ Union (SCSU) Annual General Meeting on November 24. Both motions are inconsistent with the University of Toronto’s core values of freedom of speech and inclusion.

One motion reaffirmed SCSU’s commitment to the “Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions” (BDS) movement; another concerns the rights of Jewish students at UTSC. Student organizations are free to take positions on a wide variety of controversial topics. Student societies for which the University collects mandatory fees based on registration must abide by our Policy on Open, Accessible and Democratic Autonomous Student Societies. This Policy simultaneously affirms the independent operation of autonomous student societies and the requirement that “autonomy must be exercised in a manner that is compliant with the law and University policy. Further, all Student Organizations must conduct themselves in an open, accessible and democratic manner.”

One of the requirements in the BDS motion is that SCSU “refrain from engaging with organizations, services, or participating in events that further normalize Israeli apartheid.” The motion allows an exception for suppliers of Kosher food if “no alternatives are available.” A requirement that providers of food as a religious accommodation be required to apply for an exemption, or even be asked about their views about issues elsewhere in the world is unacceptable.

https://www.president.utoronto.ca/st...on-november-24

Old 29th November 2021, 06:03 PM   #2459
angrysoba
Philosophile

An interesting case in Canada, the Students Union at the University of Toronto passed a resolution requiring Jewish students to only buy kosher food from suppliers that could be proven not to support Israel.

The Jewish students objected and submitted to the Student Union a resolution to ensure they would not be discriminated against. The Student Union then edited the second resolution to remove the language they 'objected to' (e.g. Everything that stated that Jews should be treated like everyone else.) before passing it.

Now the President of the University of Toronto has issued a statement expressing concern about both resolutions.

https://www.president.utoronto.ca/st...on-november-24
How are Jewish people going to be “required” to do this? Wait, is this CRT? Does this word have any meaning at all now?

I remember back in the 1990s my student union required us all to buy the Guardian. Or maybe I should say they banned the Sun from the campus because it had tits in it. I guess that is the same thing. Thus CRT was around even back then.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events