IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th November 2021, 12:40 PM   #1321
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I think Ford is going to eat Tesla's lunch in the electric truck game. The Tesla truck reminds me of some crudely rendered vehicle in a PS1 game.
The Maverick is damn tempting. Even besides having a standard hybrid powertrain that exceeded Ford's goal of 40mpg it's nice to see "Not stupidly huge trucks" starting to make comeback.

I actually legit do hope that trucks get pulled out of association with only bro-dude jerkass "Truck Culture" because as the crew cab design has advanced trucks are actually becoming like super-practical legit vehicles when they aren't stupidly huge and oversized.

The Maverick, Santa Cruz, Ridgeline, and Jeep Gladiator are, I'm hoping at least, ushering in a new wave of smaller trucks.

The days of the F-150, a vehicle larger than a Hummer H1, being the most popular vehicle on the roads cannot end quick enough.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 5th November 2021 at 12:48 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2021, 02:37 PM   #1322
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
You're not a man unless you have 35 ft frontal blind spot.

Modern pickup truck design is absolutely bewildering to me.
I agree, and it's why I had considerable trouble finding a decent truck in recent years. I might have bought a new truck a few years ago but sat in a couple and the position was ridiculous. I settled on a somewhat iffy 2002 Chevy Silverado, when I might have just held my breath and bought a new 2011 Ford or something if it had not felt like something out of The Road Warrior. When the Chevy was past its useful life owing to various things including a rotten frame, I had the same issue once again, and ended up earlier this year with a 2007 midsize GMC Canyon. I don't think I'll ever be buying a new truck unless the trend toward towering war machines changes.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2021, 03:42 PM   #1323
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

By the way, up here I like a 4WD truck, not for some kind of fantasy of crawling over the rocks I'll never even see, but for driving on bad and back roads in bad weather. One of the nicest vehicles I ever had for this (despite some engine issues and rust which are extraneous) was that 1978 Ford F-150. A 4WD with a short box and a rack for longer stuff. It would go anywhere and pull just about any load, and though nominally a half-tonner, could carry a ton.

Make an electric one like that and I'd be inclined to snap it up even though it would likely be an extravagance.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2021, 08:30 AM   #1324
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

My Model Y has arrived, and it's amazing. I love it already.

I now own two electric cars. The Model Y and a Nissan Leaf.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2021, 09:23 AM   #1325
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

After watching a few very favorable reviews on YouTube, Karen and I are very close to putting $1,000 down on a Rivian R1T, realizing it will likely be a year or more before any even remote chance of delivery. We already have $100 down on a CyberTruck, so it will be fun having “skin in the game” as things sort themselves out. And at our age, it’s amazing how quickly the years pass.

As an aside, our Honda Clarity PHEV hit a deer a few weeks ago and is sitting in a body shop 500 miles away in Eastern NC. Good news is we have two ICE cars to use for the many months it will likely take to get repaired. Bad news? Routine $50 fill ups for our Honda Ridgeline and Ford Flex. Ouch!

https://youtu.be/bAomljRKTd8

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 25th November 2021 at 09:25 AM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events