IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags assault incidents , protest incidents , Wisconsin incidents

Reply
Old 24th November 2021, 09:49 PM   #161
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 30,150
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Yeah. Protests should be illegal. Protests should be suppressed using any means. Stalin managed it, it worked for him. So the rest of us all can, right? Suppress those noisy folks, just as the party says, right?

Or are you an apologist for all that soviet oppression and gulags? You think that is the correct way right?
Arresting them and throwing them in jail costs money, though. The money of the innocent taxpayers! And if you just let them be, it slows us down and time is money. When they say "Freedom isn't free" it's supposed to mean you have to fight for it, not that I have to pay for it. It's cheaper to let the righteous run them down. The government doesn't even have to fix the dents.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)

Last edited by bruto; 24th November 2021 at 09:50 PM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2021, 06:12 AM   #162
Graham2001
Graduate Poster
 
Graham2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,499
News report on CBC, the comments are quite disturbing.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GETox_o0V4
__________________
"I need hard facts! Bring in the dowsers!"
'America Unearthed' Season 1, Episode 13: Hunt for the Holy Grail

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2021, 12:24 PM   #163
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,241
Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
News report on CBC, the comments are quite disturbing.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GETox_o0V4
It is bizarre. The man was arrested within hours and already charged with several counts of murder by the next morning and as far as I can tell nobody seems to be defending this assault. But certain people are very angry besides the simple shock that the crime happened; they seem to think that because the killer has complained about racism on social media, the media is committing an injustice and/or guilty of propaganda by not framing this crime as an indictment people in general who complain about racism.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2021, 12:49 PM   #164
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher
 
sir drinks-a-lot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Cole Valley, CA
Posts: 5,030
Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
News report on CBC, the comments are quite disturbing.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GETox_o0V4
They are? I don't normally look at the comments, but I checked the first 20 or so and saw nothing disturbing at all.


Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
It is bizarre. The man was arrested within hours and already charged with several counts of murder by the next morning and as far as I can tell nobody seems to be defending this assault.
Agreed.

Quote:
But certain people are very angry besides the simple shock that the crime happened; they seem to think that because the killer has complained about racism on social media, the media is committing an injustice and/or guilty of propaganda by not framing this crime as an indictment people in general who complain about racism.
Most are just noting, and rightfully so, the difference between how this is reported because it doesn't fit into the 'everything is white supremacy' narrative. It's pretty challenging to try and linguistically outdo some of the wriggling of the media speech. I'm hearing a lot about a 'crash' at the parade, or that 'people were killed' in 'an accident'. The video linked to leads with the fact that 'a SUV plowed into a Christmas parade'.
__________________
I don't like that man. I must get to know him better. --Abraham Lincoln
sir drinks-a-lot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2021, 12:51 PM   #165
Sherkeu
Master Poster
 
Sherkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Disneyland
Posts: 2,674
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
It is bizarre. The man was arrested within hours and already charged with several counts of murder by the next morning and as far as I can tell nobody seems to be defending this assault. But certain people are very angry besides the simple shock that the crime happened; they seem to think that because the killer has complained about racism on social media, the media is committing an injustice and/or guilty of propaganda by not framing this crime as an indictment people in general who complain about racism.
There is some info you may have missed.

Have you read his comments about "knokkin white people TF out"..." even the old ones"? Then rap lyrics calling to step on the gas and dont stop? Then the stuff supporting Hitlers rage against the evil Jews?
Hardly just a man complaining about issues of racism.

And you can add the fact that he did recently run over the mother of his child who he refers to as "da bitch"...the one he took from Oakland to Vegas when she was 16 to be ho'in' while he was pimpin'.

There is more...quite a bit more you may have also missed as the MSM calls it an "accident", a "mass casualty incident", or a "parade crash".

This man deserves all the vitriol he gets. He had WAY too many chances in the system to make good. He is demonstrably dangerous to any community, no matter his color.

eta: ninja'd by sd a lot.

Last edited by Sherkeu; 25th November 2021 at 12:58 PM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2021, 12:52 PM   #166
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,241
Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Most are just noting
Well no, that's not true at all in fact; very few people are "just noting" anything. The vast majority of the commentary reflecting these particular complaints is melodramatic at best, histrionic at worst.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2021, 12:56 PM   #167
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher
 
sir drinks-a-lot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Cole Valley, CA
Posts: 5,030
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Well no, that's not true at all in fact; very few people are "just noting" anything. The vast majority of the commentary reflecting these particular complaints is melodramatic at best, histrionic at worst.
Yeah, well, so you found some melodrama in the comments section on a youtube video. That's not quite the accomplishment you seem to think it is.
__________________
I don't like that man. I must get to know him better. --Abraham Lincoln
sir drinks-a-lot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2021, 01:37 PM   #168
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,241
Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
There is some info you may have missed.

Have you read his comments about "knokkin white people TF out"..." even the old ones"? Then rap lyrics calling to step on the gas and dont stop? Then the stuff supporting Hitlers rage against the evil Jews?
Hardly just a man complaining about issues of racism.

And you can add the fact that he did recently run over the mother of his child who he refers to as "da bitch"...the one he took from Oakland to Vegas when she was 16 to be ho'in' while he was pimpin'.
I didn't miss these, but my post wasn't about the killer's statements, it was about the reaction to them by the conservative fear-machine. The takeaway by them isn't that "people who threaten violence are bad", it's "people who complain about racism against blacks are violent". It's not "hating Jews is bad" or "people who are sympathetic to Hitler's politics are bad", it's "BLM likes Hitler".

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
There is more...quite a bit more you may have also missed as the MSM calls it an "accident", a "mass casualty incident", or a "parade crash".
Well that's just a complete fabrication. I have not seen a single national news outlet, once information about the incident solidified, refer to it as an "accident". CNN, claimed by many conservatives to be the most egregious and propagandic outlet of the "MSM", headlines that the killer "plowed" into the parade and says in the first paragraph that he is described by police as intentionally driving into the crowd. There is no ambiguity.

Other terms, like "parade crash", might be used somewhere by someone but they're not being used to exclude the possibility of intention, the way you and conservatives in general want to spin it. There are many ways to describe a physical event and it's not considered good writing form to pick a single descriptor and use it over and over again; that has nothing to do with creating or diluting any implications.

This is precisely what I mean by melodramatic; in one of the YouTube comments linked earlier, someone similarly complains about the news channel repeatedly "calling the event a tragedy instead of a slaughter". Conservatives who are angry about the incident as a proxy for their anger about black people complaining about racism are upset that the media coverage is not loaded and emotive enough; they want North-Korean-style editorialism, and news organizations that don't provide that and instead report the event straightforwardly are, in their eyes, guilty of "propaganda".
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2021, 01:42 PM   #169
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,241
Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Yeah, well, so you found some melodrama in the comments section on a youtube video. That's not quite the accomplishment you seem to think it is.
And then found some here in this thread in response to my post (see above).

Social media is social media; this forum, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter; the same commentary exists everywhere there's an empty form and a "Post" button.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2021, 02:32 PM   #170
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher
 
sir drinks-a-lot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Cole Valley, CA
Posts: 5,030
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Well that's just a complete fabrication. I have not seen a single national news outlet, once information about the incident solidified, refer to it as an "accident".
It's not a fabrication just because you didn't see it. Many are using the word 'crash', but at least NBC used the word 'accident'. And a lot of others are going with the 'a SUV plowed into a Christmas parade' approach.

It makes one wonder if the SUV was just having a bad day, had something against Christmas, or maybe had some sort of racial motivation. Or whether or not the SUV even had anyone in the driver's seat as it went on it's rampage!

I guess we can look on the bright side. After a years of the media turning everything into a story about race and racism, we finally get a respite where they're avoiding any mention whatsoever.
__________________
I don't like that man. I must get to know him better. --Abraham Lincoln
sir drinks-a-lot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2021, 03:18 PM   #171
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 31,709
Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
There is some info you may have missed.

Have you read his comments about "knokkin white people TF out"..." even the old ones"? Then rap lyrics calling to step on the gas and dont stop? Then the stuff supporting Hitlers rage against the evil Jews?
Hardly just a man complaining about issues of racism.

And you can add the fact that he did recently run over the mother of his child who he refers to as "da bitch"...the one he took from Oakland to Vegas when she was 16 to be ho'in' while he was pimpin'.

There is more...quite a bit more you may have also missed as the MSM calls it an "accident", a "mass casualty incident", or a "parade crash".

This man deserves all the vitriol he gets. He had WAY too many chances in the system to make good. He is demonstrably dangerous to any community, no matter his color.

eta: ninja'd by sd a lot.
He sounds like a mentally unstable low-life criminal, to be sure.
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2021, 03:50 PM   #172
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,241
Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
It's not a fabrication just because you didn't see it.
No, it's a fabrication because I have so far been unable to verify any news outlet calling the situation an accident, even now by searching.

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Many are using the word 'crash', but at least NBC used the word 'accident'. And a lot of others are going with the 'a SUV plowed into a Christmas parade' approach.
If NBC used the word "accident" at any point it must've been in the minutes after the incident when there was still very little information about what's going on. Their articles on the event that I can find all use unambiguous language, saying the vehicle "plowed" into the crowd, and citing the police as saying it was an intentional act.

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
It makes one wonder if the SUV was just having a bad day, had something against Christmas, or maybe had some sort of racial motivation. Or whether or not the SUV even had anyone in the driver's seat as it went on it's rampage!
No, it really doesn't. Nobody is "wondering" by this point; ALL of the "MSM" coverage is depicting the act as intentional with no ambiguity whatsoever. You need to manufacture a story that they are doing otherwise in order to justify an attack on the coverage, which up until this point has actually been fact-based and straightforward.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2021, 07:45 PM   #173
Graham2001
Graduate Poster
 
Graham2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,499
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
No, it really doesn't. Nobody is "wondering" by this point; ALL of the "MSM" coverage is depicting the act as intentional with no ambiguity whatsoever. You need to manufacture a story that they are doing otherwise in order to justify an attack on the coverage, which up until this point has actually been fact-based and straightforward.

Good point, the conspiracy I've seen floating around is that social media companies have been 'erasing' the drivers social media profile so as to help the MSM paint the driver as 'just another BIPOC running for his life from the police kill squads...'


This blog posting is fairly typical of what is being claimed, and of course the right are archiving the material as quickly as they can (or so they say.). As always the incipit is quoted to give a feel for the material.



http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=47845


Quote:
Whenever there is an “unfortunate incident,” the masters of social media scrub their sites of the unfortunate evidence that the perpetrators left behind. But sometimes they are not fast enough, and other people save and archive at least some of that stuff. As an example: the vehicular attack in Waukesha was carried out by a guy with not only an extensive criminal record, but a long record of racist, pro-violence, anti-cop, anti-Trump postings of various kind including a number of “music” videos. That all got scrubbed. But it also got archived, as seen here...
__________________
"I need hard facts! Bring in the dowsers!"
'America Unearthed' Season 1, Episode 13: Hunt for the Holy Grail

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2021, 08:36 PM   #174
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher
 
sir drinks-a-lot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Cole Valley, CA
Posts: 5,030
Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
Good point, the conspiracy I've seen floating around is that social media companies have been 'erasing' the drivers social media profile so as to help the MSM paint the driver as 'just another BIPOC running for his life from the police kill squads...'


This blog posting is fairly typical of what is being claimed, and of course the right are archiving the material as quickly as they can (or so they say.). As always the incipit is quoted to give a feel for the material.



http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=47845
That blog post is 'fairly typical' of what's being claimed by who? C'mon, anyone can find a crackpot blog posting or two. But the conspiracy theory you're referencing isn't really typical in any real sense of the word. What kins of websites are you going to?

I'm just commenting on how obviously biased the reporting of the waukesha incident has been by the alphabet networks, etc.
__________________
I don't like that man. I must get to know him better. --Abraham Lincoln
sir drinks-a-lot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 03:54 AM   #175
Graham2001
Graduate Poster
 
Graham2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,499
Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
That blog post is 'fairly typical' of what's being claimed by who? C'mon, anyone can find a crackpot blog posting or two. But the conspiracy theory you're referencing isn't really typical in any real sense of the word. What kins of websites are you going to?

The weeds of right-wing commentary to locate things that could end up on Fox News as 'facts'...
__________________
"I need hard facts! Bring in the dowsers!"
'America Unearthed' Season 1, Episode 13: Hunt for the Holy Grail

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 04:08 AM   #176
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 25,740
The phenomenon of the 'lone wolf' terrorist (or mass murderer) seems to have its roots in alienation and displacement. For example, the series of high school shootings, as epitomised by Columbine and Seung-Hui Cho, a senior at Virginia Tech, copied in Europe, the perpetrator invariably posting a 'manifesto' on social media. Their reasoning is myriad, 'girls won't date me', 'college chums shun me', or it is politicised as the church killer guy, Brevik 'bring back the crusaders' in Norway or the Boston Marathon killer brothers.

Many of the seemingly incomprehensible killings in Europe , for example in Sweden and Finland, where 'asylum seeker' savagely butcher their partner and child or random strangers in the market place, seem to have the common factor of having had their application for residence or citizenship denied, ditto the guy in Reading who slashed the throat of several men having a picnic or the more recent outrage at Liverpool Hospital, where the guy managed to blow himself up before harming anyone else - both had had their application for asylum turned down. These rejections seems to have fueled a murderous rage in these otherwise seemingly normal young men. Perhaps there needs to be some framework by which rejection can be handled more sensitively, perhaps emotional counselling and support automatically offered.

Whilst there are sociological and historical factors (poverty, hunger, deprivation) that lead to violent crime, I don't see that ethnicity and race is a driving force, except in the context of being 'other' or 'outsider' wanting to be 'insider'. Murder is a human propensity after all, with perhaps violence being more gender-based with males having a greater tendency towards it, thanks to their natural hormones that makes them aggressively territorial (warlike) and proactively looking to procreate.

In the context of this Wisconsin creep, clearly he deliberately and wickedly ran over these innocent people. Whether his race had anything to do with it, the evidence at his trial will tell. I am sure he has some twisted reason or other. However, anyone who has travelled the world a bit knows that people are the same wherever you go...'Ebony and Ivory, live together in perfect harmony...'


YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________
Blott en dag, ett ögonblick i sänder,

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 12:59 PM   #177
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 19,676
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
No, it really doesn't. Nobody is "wondering" by this point; ALL of the "MSM" coverage is depicting the act as intentional with no ambiguity whatsoever. You need to manufacture a story that they are doing otherwise in order to justify an attack on the coverage, which up until this point has actually been fact-based and straightforward.
Indeed. This behaviour is lifted directly from page one of the Conspiracy Theorist's playbook

1.01 If there is no apparent media cover up, lie about what they have been saying, and then attack the lie, thus creating a conspiracy theory from whole cloth.
__________________
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, bigots and homophobes to describe people who have a properly functioning moral compass!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 05:56 PM   #178
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,224
Nice try, anyway.

Quote:
WAUKESHA, WI — A fundraiser for bail funds for the man accused of driving an SUV through the Waukesha Christmas Parade on Sunday has been taken down, GoFundMe confirmed to Patch.

"We removed the fundraiser before any funds were raised because it violates GoFundMe Terms of Service," a GoFundMe spokesperson said.

The fundraiser organizer has also been banned from using the GoFundMe platform for any future fundraisers, the spokesperson said.
__________________
"To me, Hitler is the greatest man who ever lived. He truly is without fault, so simple and at the same time possessed of masculine strength"
-Leni Riefenstahl
Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 06:08 PM   #179
Graham2001
Graduate Poster
 
Graham2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,499
Abrasive commentary from Spiked's anti-vaxxer-in-chief which articulates the other right wing conspiracy view of this incident. Incipit below:


Quote:
Is silence still violence? If it is, then a whole lot of people, from the Hollywood set to the virtue-signalling left, are guilty of some serious violence right now. Their silence on the Waukesha massacre, on the slaughter of six innocents by a man wielding his SUV as a deadly weapon, is deafening. More than that, it is sinister. Dancing grannies, an eight-year-old boy, people singing and cheering at a Christmas parade, all mown down. Six killed, 62 injured, in what police are treating as a suspected act of intentional homicide. That is, mass murder. And yet there’s been nothing from Hollywood stars who normally love to hold forth on terrible acts of violence. Influencers seem to have been struck dumb. There are no blacked-out squares on Instagram. The big woke corporations aren’t pumping out pained, concerned press releases. It’s just tumbleweed, everywhere.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/1...esha-massacre/
__________________
"I need hard facts! Bring in the dowsers!"
'America Unearthed' Season 1, Episode 13: Hunt for the Holy Grail

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2021, 06:33 PM   #180
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher
 
sir drinks-a-lot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Cole Valley, CA
Posts: 5,030
Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
Abrasive commentary from Spiked's anti-vaxxer-in-chief which articulates the other right wing conspiracy view of this incident. Incipit below:
That's a right wing conspiracy?!
__________________
I don't like that man. I must get to know him better. --Abraham Lincoln
sir drinks-a-lot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 02:05 AM   #181
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,241
Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
Abrasive commentary from Spiked's anti-vaxxer-in-chief which articulates the other right wing conspiracy view of this incident. Incipit below:
Yeah, fairly typical. Again, the perpetrator was captured very quickly, charged pretty much immediately, and will remain in custody through his trial; justice is being served fairly swiftly in this case, so some reason to complain has to be manufactured - even if it's as melodramatic as "people's comments about the matter on social media aren't emotive enough" - and treated as if it's every bit as much of an injustice as, say, the alleged killer walking free for weeks or months before charges are even considered, let alone actually brought.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2021, 06:22 PM   #182
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher
 
sir drinks-a-lot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Cole Valley, CA
Posts: 5,030


It's already been a week since the car drove through the people.
__________________
I don't like that man. I must get to know him better. --Abraham Lincoln
sir drinks-a-lot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2021, 07:42 PM   #183
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 50,044
Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
It's already been a week since the car drove through the people.
Was it named Christine?
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2021, 09:44 PM   #184
Bogative
Master Poster
 
Bogative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,013
It's been one week since some car did something.
__________________
"We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics.” – Joe Biden October 24, 2020
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:07 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.