IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags dylan farrow , mia farrow , sexual misconduct charges , woody allen

Reply
Old 2nd February 2014, 12:35 PM   #41
Stellafane
Village Idiot.
 
Stellafane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,720
Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
I have to say, this casts rather a different light on some assumptions I've had over the years concerning Woody Allen. Even given the partisan perspective, the citationed facts are rather illuminating to say the least. And combined with my acquaintanceship with false memory syndrome, the article provides a certain measure of context by which to view these latter-day claims.
__________________
Another Shameless Googlebomb Plug for www.stopsylvia.com
Stellafane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 12:36 PM   #42
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Central Scrutinizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 53,060
Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
Four of my females friends/ex-girlfriends have been raped. All four chose not to press charges. I don't understand that either, but it's not unusual from where I sit.
Legitimate rape?
__________________
If I see somebody with a gun on a plane? I'll kill him.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 12:36 PM   #43
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12,908
The Onion - Woody Allen: Boy, I've Really Put You In A Tough Spot, Haven't I?
__________________
"The president’s voracious sexual appetite is the elephant that the president rides around on each and every day while pretending that it doesn’t exist." - Bill O'Reilly et al., Killing Kennedy
TubbaBlubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 12:39 PM   #44
Halfcentaur
Philosopher
 
Halfcentaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,620
Tall Poppy Syndrome is awesome. I actually have a moderate dislike of his movies and him, possibly because they are so renowned. Possibly because every story seems to be a rehashed recipe of neurotic relationship pathology and snobby "true New Yorker" syndrome, which I should be less biased about in my jaded cynicism.

But I'm not seeing a lot of healthy skepticism about this issue in people. Imagine that.

It was kind of ironic to learn Farrow married Sinatra at 22.

I wonder if celebrity gossip is left over from a socially evolved trait based on preserving the most valuable in the tribe for their exceptional offerings to the group's survival and health.

Last edited by Halfcentaur; 2nd February 2014 at 12:40 PM.
Halfcentaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 12:42 PM   #45
colander
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,780
Originally Posted by Stellafane View Post
I have to say, this casts rather a different light on some assumptions I've had over the years concerning Woody Allen. Even given the partisan perspective, the citationed facts are rather illuminating to say the least. And combined with my acquaintanceship with false memory syndrome, the article provides a certain measure of context by which to view these latter-day claims.
Yeah, I'd read the Vanity Fair article before jumping to any conclusions about the phoniness of the allegations. There's nothing "latter-day" about these claims: although this is the first time Dylan has written a public account of what happened, the allegations were first made shortly after the alleged events were said to have occurred. This is not exactly a Recovered Memory thing that we're talking about here.

Last edited by colander; 2nd February 2014 at 12:45 PM.
colander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 12:43 PM   #46
Dissolution
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,306
Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
Four of my females friends/ex-girlfriends have been raped. All four chose not to press charges. I don't understand that either, but it's not unusual from where I sit.
I can totally understand that victims might be extremely reluctant to go through the ordeal of a trial, but when the future access to children by an accused child molester is at stake, then I would expect things to proceed.
Having said that I'm now unsure as to whether Farrow stopped things from going ahead, as there seems to be multiple conflicting reports.
Dissolution is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 12:49 PM   #47
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing
 
Newtons Bit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,022
Originally Posted by Dissolution View Post
I can totally understand that victims might be extremely reluctant to go through the ordeal of a trial, but when the future access to children by an accused child molester is at stake, then I would expect things to proceed.
From the article:

Quote:
After a custody hearing denied my father visitation rights, my mother declined to pursue criminal charges, despite findings of probable cause by the State of Connecticut – due to, in the words of the prosecutor, the fragility of the “child victim.”

Quote:
Having said that I'm now unsure as to whether Farrow stopped things from going ahead, as there seems to be multiple conflicting reports.
It sounds like a joint decision by multiple people.
__________________
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 12:53 PM   #48
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 90,671
Considering he married another step daughter, considering how realistic the account reads, and including coming forward now since he was honored for lifetime achievement at the Golden Globe awards last month, I find the account very credible and not one I think was just false memories implanted by a bitter ex-wife in a custody or divorce proceeding.

I don't know where the age line splits for children pedophiles are attracted to, but Allen's taste in young women has always been ones that look prepubescent to some degree.

They shouldn't have honored him at the awards.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 2nd February 2014 at 12:56 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 12:58 PM   #49
Pup
Philosopher
 
Pup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,679
Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
It is possible, but coaching and making up something false make it far less probable that the rest is true. If the rest was true, there would not have needed making up a false attic incident. just sayin'.
To play devil's advocate, though, it may be that adults assumed the attic incident happened based on previous hints from the girl, and decided to finally force the issue. Maybe that was the one time it didn't happen or maybe whatever happened was less damning than the adults hoped, and they steamrolled ahead anyway by helping and hinting. Or maybe the girl's embarrassment and fear made her seem coached when she wasn't.

Again, I'm undecided and not particularly biased--never seen a Woody Allen movie, never followed the careers of the people involved.
Pup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 01:01 PM   #50
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 90,671
Slate has a decent summary, if a link hasn't already been posted.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 01:12 PM   #51
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher
 
A'isha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,221
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Slate has a decent summary, if a link hasn't already been posted.
From that article:

Quote:
The Connecticut state attorney later asked the Yale–New Haven Hospital Child Sexual Abuse Clinic to evaluate Dylan. In March 1993, the clinic “concluded that Dylan had not been sexually abused,” according to Orth in Vanity Fair.

Case closed? Not necessarily. Three months later, that June, Acting Justice Elliot Wilk of New York State Supreme Court ruled against Allen in his effort to wrest custody of his three children from Farrow. Wilk criticized Yale–New Haven’s findings, stating that the hospital’s team had not interviewed Dylan, declined to testify at trial except via deposition, and destroyed its notes on the case. In her first piece for Vanity Fair about the Allen case, published in 1992, Orth had at least 25 on-the-record interviews—with sources both named and unnamed—attesting that Allen was “completely obsessed” with Dylan: “He could not seem to keep his hands off her,” Orth wrote.

In his June 1993 ruling, Wilk also denied Allen any visitation rights with Dylan or his older adopted child with Farrow, 15-year-old Moses. In May 1994, in a hearing considering custody or increased visitation for Allen, the Appellate Division of the state Supreme Court cited a “clear consensus” among psychiatric experts involved in the case that Allen’s “interest in Dylan was abnormally intense."

[...]

In the Time interview, Allen strongly suggests a cause-and-effect relationship between Farrow discovering his affair with Soon-Yi and the molestation allegations. But that account is hard to deduce from the timeline of events. Farrow found out about the affair when Allen left pornographic photographs of Soon-Yi on his mantel in January 1992—eight months before Dylan made her allegations. By Orth’s account, Allen was already in therapy for “inappropriate behavior” with Dylan before the revelation of the affair.

And in their May 1994 decision, the judges of the New York appellate court held that, with regard to the events of Aug. 4, 1992, “the testimony given at trial by the individuals caring for the children that day, the videotape of Dylan made by Ms. Farrow the following day and the accounts of Dylan's behavior toward Mr. Allen both before and after the alleged instance of abuse, suggest that the abuse did occur.” Although “the evidence in support of the allegations remains inconclusive,” the court stated, “our review of the record militates against a finding that Ms. Farrow fabricated the allegations without any basis.”
Huh, wonder why Allen's fawning hagiographer didn't see fit to mention any of that.
__________________
When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes - Desiderius Erasmus

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni

Last edited by A'isha; 2nd February 2014 at 01:14 PM.
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 01:17 PM   #52
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme
 
Vortigern99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 7,905
Some salient points from the Not So Fast article:
On the stand, Allen’s attorney asked Mia about the second doctor’s findings: “There was no evidence of injury to the anal or vaginal area [of Dylan Farrow], is that correct?” Farrow answered, “Yes.”

... Kristie Groteke, another nanny. “She told me that she felt guilty allowing Ms. Farrow to say those things about Mr. Allen. (Groteke) said the day Mr. Allen spent with the kids, she did not have Dylan out of her sight for longer than five minutes. She did not remember Dylan being without her underwear.”

... As to why the team felt the charges didn’t hold water, [Dr. John M. Leventhal, who headed the Yale-New Haven Hospital investigative team looking into the abuse charges] states: “We had two hypotheses: one, that these were statements made by an emotionally disturbed child and then became fixed in her mind. And the other hypothesis was that she was coached or influenced by her mother. We did not come to a firm conclusion. We think that it was probably a combination.”

... He also said the child’s accounts had “a rehearsed quality.” At one point, she told him, “I like to cheat on my stories.” The sworn statement further concludes: “Even before the claim of abuse was made last August, the view of Mr. Allen as an evil and awful and terrible man permeated the household. ... It’s quite possible —as a matter of fact, we think it’s medically probable—that (Dylan) stuck to that story over time because of the intense relationship she had with her mother.”

... Mia wouldn't take a lie detector test. (Woody took one and passed.)
__________________
"I'm 'willing to admit' any fact that can be shown to be evidential and certain." -- Vortigern99

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 01:25 PM   #53
colander
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,780
Quote:
... As to why the team felt the charges didn’t hold water, [Dr. John M. Leventhal, who headed the Yale-New Haven Hospital investigative team looking into the abuse charges] states: “We had two hypotheses: one, that these were statements made by an emotionally disturbed child and then became fixed in her mind. And the other hypothesis was that she was coached or influenced by her mother. We did not come to a firm conclusion. We think that it was probably a combination.”
Some good sleuthing on display here.

"Well, as we see it, there are two possibilities:

1. Big bitch be lyin'
2. Little bitch be crazy

Our considered opinion is that it is probably both. Case closed! Now hand me that paper shredder."

nice

Last edited by colander; 2nd February 2014 at 01:36 PM.
colander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 01:37 PM   #54
Cool Hand Luke
Muse
 
Cool Hand Luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 505
Just to be clear here, as flavor facts are all we really have in this one, the decision on whether or not to "press charges" was not Mia's to make.

Child abuse allegations are automatically reported to the police in Connecticut and this one most certainly was. It's then entirely within the local prosecutor's discretion as to whether to brings formal charges or not. Mia had no say in it at all.

From all I can see in the press reports from both sides there was zero physical or medical evidence, conflicting witness reports, and an absolutely critical witness (Dylan) who was seven-years-old and clouded by suspicions of coaching from the mother during a already-nasty custody battle. Ain't no prosecutor I know of who'd go anywhere near that case. There's just nothing there to prosecute. Mia could have come to the prosecutor's office and pounded on his desk everyday for a year and the prosecutors still wouldn't have brought charges. The decision not to charge Allen was absolutely clear and Mia had nothing to do with it.

So I think it's telling that Dylan puts this bit into her piece. The fact that Allen wasn't prosecuted is a hard fact for her and her family. She's got to get by it somehow. She does so by flipping it around and claiming it was all Mia's idea not to have Allen charged. She's clearly adding disinformation into her history. For me it took her story down a big notch in credibility.

There's definitely a family mythos blanketing this whole thing that'll prevent anybody from ever knowing the truth on it.
__________________
.
Say what you want about the tenets of International Skepticism, but at least it's an ethos.
.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 01:39 PM   #55
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,773
Originally Posted by colander View Post
Some good sleuthing on display here.

"Well, as we see it, there are two possibilities:

1. Big bitch be lyin'
2. Little bitch be crazy

Our considered opinion is that it is probably both. Case closed! Now hand me that paper shredder."

nice
And out come the conspiracy theorists.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 01:45 PM   #56
Cool Hand Luke
Muse
 
Cool Hand Luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 505
Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
Huh, wonder why Allen's fawning hagiographer didn't see fit to mention any of that.
.
Just to add context to what you quoted:

The last lines you took from the Slate piece where from a decision by an appeals court. In all but the most extreme circumstances an appeals court never actually sees the evidence. They review the record and look at the trial court's opinion of the evidence to see if it was unreasonable. That's all. In most cases they are actually bound by the findings of fact in the court below and won't disturb them.

So this quote actually comes from people who in great probability never even looked at the video, read the police reports, or skimmed the medical records. They're relying on what the court below said was in the evidence, not on the evidence itself. You need to take such statements from appeals panels in the context from which they come and give them weight accordingly (just as you do comments from people on internet discussion boards).
__________________
.
Say what you want about the tenets of International Skepticism, but at least it's an ethos.
.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 01:52 PM   #57
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,243
Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
From that article:

Huh, wonder why Allen's fawning hagiographer didn't see fit to mention any of that.
If it's true that the doctors never actually interviewed the girl, I find their assessment that she was either emotionally disturbed and making it up, or coached by her mother to make it up, rather curious. What was it based on? Just the video submitted by the mother and that's it?
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 01:52 PM   #58
colander
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,780
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Just to be clear here, as flavor facts are all we really have in this one, the decision on whether or not to "press charges" was not Mia's to make.

Child abuse allegations are automatically reported to the police in Connecticut and this one most certainly was. It's then entirely within the local prosecutor's discretion as to whether to brings formal charges or not. Mia had no say in it at all.
"No say in it at all?" I dispute that. As a key witness, Mia Farrow's cooperation would have been essential to a successful prosecution effort; a decision on her part not to go through with it would necessarily have torpedoed any chance of conviction.

Quote:
From all I can see in the press reports from both sides there was zero physical or medical evidence, conflicting witness reports, and an absolutely critical witness (Dylan) who was seven-years-old and clouded by suspicions of coaching from the mother during a already-nasty custody battle. Ain't no prosecutor I know of who'd go anywhere near that case. There's just nothing there to prosecute. Mia could have come to the prosecutor's office and pounded on his desk everyday for a year and the prosecutors still wouldn't have brought charges. The decision not to charge Allen was absolutely clear and Mia had nothing to do with it.
You sure about that? Because those circumstances all sound pretty typical for familial child molestation cases. I'm also not sure how you explain away all the witness testimony of disturbing behavior.
colander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 01:53 PM   #59
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,773
Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
From that article:



Huh, wonder why Allen's fawning hagiographer didn't see fit to mention any of that.
He did.

Quote:
Less widely disseminated was a news item that appeared in the New York Times five months later (Feb. 24, 1994), which reported that a disciplinary panel found the actions of County Prosecutor Frank Maco (the “probable cause” guy) were cause for “grave concern” and may have prejudiced the case. It winds up that Maco sent his “probable cause” statement to the Surrogate’s Court judge in Manhattan who was still deciding on Allen’s adoption status of Dylan and Moses, which Mia was trying to annul. The panel wrote, “In most circumstances, [Maco’s comments] would have violated the prosecutor’s obligation to the accused. [His actions were] inappropriate, unsolicited, and potentially prejudicial.” The article states that the agency could have voted sanctions against Maco ranging from censure to disbarment.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 01:59 PM   #60
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,243
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
He did.
Quote:
It winds up that Maco sent his “probable cause” statement to the Surrogate’s Court judge in Manhattan who was still deciding on Allen’s adoption status of Dylan and Moses, which Mia was trying to annul.
No he didn't:

Quote:
Acting Justice Elliot Wilk of New York State Supreme Court ruled against Allen in his effort to wrest custody of his three children from Farrow.
Two different courts, two different matters.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 02:09 PM   #61
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,773
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Considering he married another step daughter,
No, he didn't.

Quote:
. . . considering how realistic the account reads,
It wasn't realistic to the professionals who investigated at the time.

Quote:
. . . and including coming forward now since he was honored for lifetime achievement at the Golden Globe awards last month,
How about Farrow's actions in that? She freely allowed the clips with her to be used and then made the stupid comment on Twitter that anyone involved in the award was supporting a pedophile.

Quote:
I find the account very credible and not one I think was just false memories implanted by a bitter ex-wife in a custody or divorce proceeding.
And yet the nannies and the investigators all stated she was coached over a period of 2-3 days.

Here's what another child of Farrow's had to say: Moses Farrow, now 36, and an accomplished photographer, has been estranged from Mia for several years. During a recent conversation, he spoke of “finally seeing the reality” of Frog Hollow and used the term “brainwashing” without hesitation. He recently reestablished contact with Allen and is currently enjoying a renewed relationship with him and Soon-Yi.

Quote:
I don't know where the age line splits for children pedophiles are attracted to, but Allen's taste in young women has always been ones that look prepubescent to some degree.
Mia Farrow married Frank Sinatra when she was 21 and he was 50. She also had an affair and child when she was 23-24 with the then married Andre Previn. Allen and Soon-Yi hooked up when she was either 19 or 21 and him 55.

This just smacks of sour grapes on Farrow's part. Now she is the older woman and doesn't like it but she had little care for Andre' Previn's wife.

Quote:
They shouldn't have honored him at the awards.
And yet, Mia Farrow is a die hard supporter of Roman Polanski and his Academy Award for the Pianist. Does the double standard never end for this woman?
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 02:11 PM   #62
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,773
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
No he didn't:



Two different courts, two different matters.
My mistake.

Interesting that Allen has gone through two adoption processes in two different states with full knowledge of the allegations brought by Farrow in 1992 and in both cases he was considered an excellent candidate for adoption.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."

Last edited by qayak; 2nd February 2014 at 02:14 PM.
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 02:27 PM   #63
Dissolution
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,306
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
And yet, Mia Farrow is a die hard supporter of Roman Polanski and his Academy Award for the Pianist. Does the double standard never end for this woman?
Dissolution is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 02:28 PM   #64
Cool Hand Luke
Muse
 
Cool Hand Luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 505
Originally Posted by colander View Post
"No say in it at all?" I dispute that. As a key witness, Mia Farrow's cooperation would have been essential to a successful prosecution effort; a decision on her part not to go through with it would necessarily have torpedoed any chance of conviction.
.
Prosecutions for sexual assault go forward all the time without the cooperation of a witness or even the victim. There is even a famous case out of the UK where a man was charged and convicted of rape despite the fact that the victim testified that the defendant didn't do it.

Mia's testimony could have both helped and hurt the prosecution in this case. They may not have even used her had it gone to trial. The simple fact is that there just wasn't enough evidence to move on.

Quote:
You sure about that? Because those circumstances all sound pretty typical for familial child molestation cases. I'm also not sure how you explain away all the witness testimony of disturbing behavior.
.
Nobody is explaining anything away except you. You are, as usual, explaining away anything that doesn't fit your preconceived ideas about the subject of sexual assault and that anybody accused of it is automatically guilty.

As I've said before in other places, we all understand that you have very deeply-rooted ideas about this subject. You feel strongly about it. That's great. I applaud you for standing up and speaking out.

But you've taken your argument to the point where it's turned into a pseudo-religion for you. You've developed a dogma where accusation=fact and suggestion=conviction. That's not how it works. That's not how it should work. We base our legal system on (slightly) better standards than that. We actually demand that people are tried and convicted before we string them from a tree.
__________________
.
Say what you want about the tenets of International Skepticism, but at least it's an ethos.
.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 02:37 PM   #65
Morrigan
Crone of War
 
Morrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,262
Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post
Some salient points from the Not So Fast article:
... Mia wouldn't take a lie detector test. (Woody took one and passed.)
LOL

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
It wasn't realistic to the professionals who investigated at the time.
And the police professionals failed to realize that the bloodied young man Jeffrey Dahmer had drugged and was dragging away wasn't really just his intoxicated lover. Sometimes professionals screw up, and massively at that. And when a celebrity is involved...

Quote:
And yet the nannies and the investigators all stated she was coached over a period of 2-3 days.
Based on apparently nothing. Also read Checkmite's post about the nanny, seems like she never suggested coaching.


Quote:
Mia Farrow married Frank Sinatra when she was 21 and he was 50. She also had an affair and child when she was 23-24 with the then married Andre Previn. Allen and Soon-Yi hooked up when she was either 19 or 21 and him 55.

This just smacks of sour grapes on Farrow's part. Now she is the older woman and doesn't like it but she had little care for Andre' Previn's wife.

And yet, Mia Farrow is a die hard supporter of Roman Polanski and his Academy Award for the Pianist. Does the double standard never end for this woman?
That's a nice ad hominem. I fail to see what it has to do with Dylan Farrow's allegations about what happened during her own childhood, but hey.

I wonder; if the whole story had been made up as some scheme by her mother, why would Dylan Farrow post that letter now that she's an adult?
Morrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 02:57 PM   #66
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,317
Doubtless A+ could work out what the truth of this is.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 03:11 PM   #67
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,773
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
LOL


And the police professionals failed to realize that the bloodied young man Jeffrey Dahmer had drugged and was dragging away wasn't really just his intoxicated lover. Sometimes professionals screw up, and massively at that. And when a celebrity is involved...
Except that it was 1992 and child molestation charges had been taken very, very seriously for many years already. This wasn't 1950 with a nudge, nudge, wink, wink, this stuff happens attitude.

Quote:
Based on apparently nothing. Also read Checkmite's post about the nanny, seems like she never suggested coaching.
According to her sworn statement there was coaching.

Quote:
In the midst of the proceedings, on February 2, 1993, a revealing article appeared in the Los Angeles Times, headlined: “Nanny Casts Doubt on Farrow Charges,” in which former nanny Monica Thompson (whose salary was paid by Allen, since three of the brood were also his) swore in a deposition to Allen’s attorneys that she was pressured by Farrow to support the molestation charges, and the pressure led her to resign her position. Thompson had this to say about the videotape: ““I know that the tape was made over the course of at least two and perhaps three days. I recall Ms. Farrow saying to Dylan at that time, ‘Dylan, what did daddy do… and what did he do next?’ Dylan appeared not to be interested, and Ms. Farrow would stop taping for a while and then continue.”
Quote:
That's a nice ad hominem. I fail to see what it has to do with Dylan Farrow's allegations about what happened during her own childhood, but hey.
You only fail because you failed to read what my statement was in response to. It was in regard to Allen's taste in "young women" which in this case can only mean Soon-Yi who started her relationship with Allen when she was 21 and he 55. Mia Farrow started her relationship with Frank Sinatra when she was 21 and he 50. Ironic or karmic, you decide.

Quote:
I wonder; if the whole story had been made up as some scheme by her mother, why would Dylan Farrow post that letter now that she's an adult?
Because people believe what they were raised to believe. Read what the investigator's report said:

Quote:
“Even before the claim of abuse was made last August, the view of Mr. Allen as an evil and awful and terrible man permeated the household. The view that he had molested Soon-Yi and was a potential molester of Dylan permeated the household… It’s quite possible —as a matter of fact, we think it’s medically probable—that (Dylan) stuck to that story over time because of the intense relationship she had with her mother.” Leventhal further notes it was “very striking” that each time Dylan spoke of the abuse, she coupled it with “one, her father’s relationship with Soon-Yi, and two, the fact that it was her poor mother, her poor mother,” who had lost a career in Mr. Allen’s films.
Yeah . . . that sounds like a seven year old who hasn't been coached.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 03:14 PM   #68
TeapotCavalry
Master Poster
 
TeapotCavalry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Estonia
Posts: 2,116
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
Sometimes professionals screw up, and massively at that. And when a celebrity is involved...
Indeed.
So where does that leave us? Just... arbitrarily deciding who to believe? I mean, if we already decide to go down the road of discrediting professionals.
__________________
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” – Christopher Hitchens.
TeapotCavalry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 03:17 PM   #69
colander
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,780
Red face

Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
.
Prosecutions for sexual assault go forward all the time without the cooperation of a witness or even the victim. There is even a famous case out of the UK where a man was charged and convicted of rape despite the fact that the victim testified that the defendant didn't do it.

Mia's testimony could have both helped and hurt the prosecution in this case. They may not have even used her had it gone to trial. The simple fact is that there just wasn't enough evidence to move on.
Wow, your speculation based on a shilly op-ed piece you just read transformed itself into a simple fact in less than two posts. Superb.


Quote:
.
Nobody is explaining anything away except you. You are, as usual, explaining away anything that doesn't fit your preconceived ideas about the subject of sexual assault and that anybody accused of it is automatically guilty.
Technically, I guess you're not explaining it away so much as you are completely ignoring it. Again, bro, plenty of people witnessed Allen behaving oddly around Dylan. Allen's nude sunscreen buttcrack fondling of Dylan, for example, was witnessed by Mia's mother and sister. But that doesn't count, I guess, because witch hunt lynch mob remember McMartin.

Quote:
As I've said before in other places, we all understand that you have very deeply-rooted ideas about this subject. You feel strongly about it. That's great. I applaud you for standing up and speaking out.

But you've taken your argument to the point where it's turned into a pseudo-religion for you. You've developed a dogma where accusation=fact and suggestion=conviction. That's not how it works. That's not how it should work. We base our legal system on (slightly) better standards than that. We actually demand that people are tried and convicted before we string them from a tree.
Oh, an ad hominem based on a bunch of stuff you imagined about me? Convincing! Yep, clearly the fact that I don't automagically assume that everything women ever say is lies means that I want to put Woody Allen in the stocks without a trial. I mean, it's not like any position exists between those two extremes, right?

Last edited by colander; 2nd February 2014 at 03:31 PM.
colander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 03:42 PM   #70
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,317
Can we all just agree none of us have any way to tell what in the hell happened in these peoples chaotic lives? There appear to be witnesses to the events to support Allen being a molester and Allen not being a molester. Clearly some of these people must either be deluded or lying. On what basis can anybody form an opinion on this?

If somebody has some evidence, or some facts to debate, then lets debate the facts.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 03:49 PM   #71
Cool Hand Luke
Muse
 
Cool Hand Luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 505
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
Can we all just agree none of us have any way to tell what in the hell happened in these peoples chaotic lives? There appear to be witnesses to the events to support Allen being a molester and Allen not being a molester. Clearly some of these people must either be deluded or lying. On what basis can anybody form an opinion on this?

If somebody has some evidence, or some facts to debate, then lets debate the facts.
.
[/thread]
__________________
.
Say what you want about the tenets of International Skepticism, but at least it's an ethos.
.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 04:09 PM   #72
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 12,131
Originally Posted by colander View Post
Wow, your speculation based on a shilly op-ed piece you just read transformed itself into a simple fact in less than two posts. Superb.

Technically, I guess you're not explaining it away so much as you are completely ignoring it. Again, bro, plenty of people witnessed Allen behaving oddly around Dylan. Allen's nude sunscreen buttcrack fondling of Dylan, for example, was witnessed by Mia's mother and sister. But that doesn't count, I guess, because witch hunt lynch mob remember McMartin.



Oh, an ad hominem based on a bunch of stuff you imagined about me? Convincing! Yep, clearly the fact that I don't automagically assume that everything women ever say is lies means that I want to put Woody Allen in the stocks without a trial. I mean, it's not like any position exists between those two extremes, right?

Every argument I've ever seen you make is a logical fallacy, including ad hominems in this very thread.
__________________
"Sufficiently advanced malice is indistinguishable from incompetence. = godless Dave
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 04:12 PM   #73
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,773
Looks like Allen is going to comment on the letter.

Quote:
Woody Allen called Dylan Farrow's allegations of child molestation "untrue and disgraceful" a day after Farrow renewed claims dating back to Allen's tempestuous relationship with actress Mia Farrow in the early 1990s.
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/conn-prosec...163607728.html
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 04:46 PM   #74
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme
 
Vortigern99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 7,905
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
LOL
I agree it's hilarious that you snipped and ignored the rest of my post. Emotion-charged posting irrespective of facts wins the day again!
__________________
"I'm 'willing to admit' any fact that can be shown to be evidential and certain." -- Vortigern99

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 04:49 PM   #75
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,389
I don't know the truth of the child abuse allegations, but I will say this: Woody and Mia deserved each other.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 05:05 PM   #76
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 90,671
Technically a step daughter or not, 56 yr old dating the 19 yr old adopted daughter of his common law wife suggests he might have a thing for young girls and family ties are not a barrier for him.

I can see Mia getting nasty finding out, I can see the young girl being coached in her answers (prosecutors and child welfare interviewers have often done the same especially in that era).

But, it's also possible for a man to abuse a young girl without penetration and without leaving physical evidence.

And the judges in the case never exonerated Allen and felt there was enough there to deny him visitation.

I side with: the guy is more probable than not, creepy. But it isn't 100% certain from the looks of the evidence here.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 05:07 PM   #77
Cainkane1
Philosopher
 
Cainkane1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The great American southeast
Posts: 8,961
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
Poor girl. Why didn't she tell someone before now?
__________________
If at first you don't succeed try try again. Then if you fail to succeed to Hell with that. Try something else.
Cainkane1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 05:08 PM   #78
Cain
Straussian
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 14,744
Woody Allen on 60 Minutes in 1992. He portrays Farrow as a crazy woman. Unfortunately, the tape is incomplete.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________
Cain: Don't be a homo.
Diablo: What's that supposed to mean?
Cain: It's a heteronormative remark meant to be taken at face-value.
Diablo: You're a lousy bigot. Apologise and withdraw that remark.
Cain: Nah.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 05:14 PM   #79
Cainkane1
Philosopher
 
Cainkane1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The great American southeast
Posts: 8,961
http://www.thewrap.com/woody-allen-r...ue-disgusting/

He says he didn't do it. If I were her and if this story of hers was true I'd take a lie detector test.
__________________
If at first you don't succeed try try again. Then if you fail to succeed to Hell with that. Try something else.
Cainkane1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 05:21 PM   #80
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,243
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
According to her sworn statement there was coaching.
I've read the paragraph you quote immediately after you say this. I don't see any claims of coaching.

The nanny says the mother made a video where she asked her daughter what Allen did and wanted to tape the responses. We were already aware of that fact. The nanny says that when the daughter didn't answer, the mother just stopped taping and asked again later. Where is the "coaching" part? Is merely asking the questions "coaching" in your opinion?
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:18 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.