IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags dylan farrow , mia farrow , sexual misconduct charges , woody allen

Old 1st April 2014, 02:05 AM   #801
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Yes. A friend of mine divorced her husband to marry his much younger brother.

I've said it before, sometimes we just love who we love.
True. Someone I used to work with, after her husband died, got together with his brother. There'd never been anything between them previously. If both parties themselves can reconcile something like that developing (and neither of them were uinitially untroubled by it), who is anyone else to deny them?
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2014, 06:44 PM   #802
colander

Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
False memories of spilling something and of being evacuated because the sprinklers were soaking people seems pretty darn close to being "physically penetrated".
Uh, wow. Remind me not to hire you for any landscaping.
colander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2014, 06:49 PM   #803
colander

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Once again: getting a kid to say made-up stuff in court isn't the same thing as getting them to falsely remember and believe it decades later.

Quote:
True but it certainly casts serious doubt on the claims of Dylan and her mother. This case has all the earmarks of implanted memory.
And what earmarks might those be?
colander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2014, 07:18 PM   #804
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by colander View Post
Once again: getting a kid to say made-up stuff in court isn't the same thing as getting them to falsely remember and believe it decades later.
Oh, yes it is. Exactly the same.

Quote:
And what earmarks might those be?
For someone who pontificates so wisely you show a complete lack of knowledge of the subject.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2014, 07:21 PM   #805
DragonLady
Illuminator

Uh, wow. Remind me not to hire you for any landscaping.
That's the best you can do?

Researchers can't exactly go 'round telling kids they've been molested to see whether or not they falsely remember it. But a false memory of water falling inside a grocery store seems pretty damn close to the heart of the subject to me. The question is how much sensation do they remember? Can they answer questions like:

What was the temperature of the water? Was it spraying down, or just falling in drops? Where did you go when you were told to leave the store? How wet were you? What were you wearing? Did you change clothes? When? Where? Did the water ruin any of your belongings?

Being able to make things up is one thing. Being able to maintain a consistent story over time is another unless every fine detail is discussed more than once, IMO.

I have no problem whatsoever believing a person's memory of an event can be altered by repeated rehearsing and coaching, even memories of things the person hasn't experienced at all. I think the water gets even cloudier when the subject is sex because whether we like it or not every kid has sexual instincts and has some vague idea something is up "down there" from a very early age. Filling in the blanks with even a few vague hints wasn't rocket science for me, and I doubt it was for you, either.

Whether or not it happened in this case, I don't know. I still say: the evidence that has been presented doesn't sway me either way.

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2014, 08:08 PM   #806
colander

Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
That's the best you can do?

Researchers can't exactly go 'round telling kids they've been molested to see whether or not they falsely remember it.
They wouldn't need to. In this 1997 study, researchers tried to implant a false childhood memory of undergoing an enema in 20 subjects. They tried to implant a false childhood memory of getting lost in a mall in another 20 subjects. The mall memory took root in 3 out of those twenty, but the enema memory didn't work on any of them. Some kinds of memories are a lot easier to implant than others, and if I had to take a guess, I'd say that a false memory of your own father penetrating your vagina is going to land somewhere on the "hard to implant" end of the spectrum.

Even if someone were to attempt to deliberately implant molestation memories into a kid, they'd have no reason to think they stood a good chance of succeeding. We are, at best, talking about a low-probability event here, and that's even when the implanters have some idea of how to go about the process.
Old 1st April 2014, 08:15 PM   #807
colander

Oh, yes it is. Exactly the same.

For someone who pontificates so wisely you show a complete lack of knowledge of the subject.
So in other words, you were talking out of your ass.
Old 1st April 2014, 08:51 PM   #808
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

So in other words, you were talking out of your ass.
No, in other words, you don't know what you are talking about and from your history we both know you aren't interested in changing that. If you can't be bothered to Google it, or look it up on Wikipedia, I can't be bothered to cut and paste it for you.
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2014, 09:02 PM   #809
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

They wouldn't need to. In this 1997 study, researchers tried to implant a false childhood memory of undergoing an enema in 20 subjects. They tried to implant a false childhood memory of getting lost in a mall in another 20 subjects. The mall memory took root in 3 out of those twenty, but the enema memory didn't work on any of them. Some kinds of memories are a lot easier to implant than others, and if I had to take a guess, I'd say that a false memory of your own father penetrating your vagina is going to land somewhere on the "hard to implant" end of the spectrum.

Even if someone were to attempt to deliberately implant molestation memories into a kid, they'd have no reason to think they stood a good chance of succeeding. We are, at best, talking about a low-probability event here, and that's even when the implanters have some idea of how to go about the process.
You are misinformed. You did not read the follow ups to this study. The reason that memory could not be implanted is not because of penetration, it was because it was not plausible. No one is exactly sure what makes a false memory take but they do know that the memory must be plausible.

In the case of Dylan Farrow, with her mother claiming Allen was such an evil person who seduced (maybe even raped) Soon Yi, the sexual molestation memory is VERY plausible just like it would be in the allegations in the satanic daycare claims or alien abduction claims.
Old 30th April 2014, 09:25 AM   #810
HotNostril
Thinker

You are misinformed. You did not read the follow ups to this study. The reason that memory could not be implanted is not because of penetration, it was because it was not plausible. No one is exactly sure what makes a false memory take but they do know that the memory must be plausible.

In the case of Dylan Farrow, with her mother claiming Allen was such an evil person who seduced (maybe even raped) Soon Yi, the sexual molestation memory is VERY plausible just like it would be in the allegations in the satanic daycare claims or alien abduction claims.

I think you may be confusing implanted memories and the willingness of a child to make the interviewer happy during multiple interviews, and the risk of asking leading questions.
HotNostril is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2018, 08:44 PM   #811
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Quote:
Babi Christina Engelhardt was 16 in 1976 when she began an eight-year relationship with Allen, who was 41 at the time. The age of consent was 17.

https://www.theage.com.au/entertainm...18-p50mwn.html

Seems to be a consistent pattern of behaviour.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2018, 02:01 AM   #812
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
https://www.theage.com.au/entertainm...18-p50mwn.html

Seems to be a consistent pattern of behaviour.
I don't want to be the one to stand up for Woody, but there is a huge chasm between having sex with a willing 16-year-old who is unrelated to you and molesting your 7-year-old daughter. Yes, the former was certainly illegal, and the power relationships make it extremely problematic, but judging by a modeling shot taken of the 16-year-old, she certainly was not young-looking for her age and the article makes it clear that she was not in any way unwilling.

I would certainly agree that there is a consistent pattern of behavior with him wanting to have sex with young women. This is highly unusual in hetero men. Or not, I would guess mostly not.

Last edited by Brainster; 18th December 2018 at 02:02 AM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2018, 02:36 AM   #813
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Statutory rape.

Can I just say that as a a former 41 year old I never wanted to have sex with a 16 year old. It just seems really gross and immoral.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2018, 04:21 AM   #814
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Statutory rape.
Yes having perfectly consensual sex with a 16 year old in spite of it being a crime is truly something incredibly heinous and awful. If Woody Allen could do that he could do anything. Murder? Incest? He could probably even rape babies!

Quote:
Can I just say that as a a former 41 year old I never wanted to have sex with a 16 year old. It just seems really gross and immoral.
Good, that means there's more left out there for us gross and immoral sick *****.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2021, 06:29 AM   #815
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Wallace Shawn has now written a piece for The Wrap entitled "Why I’m Still Willing to Work With Woody Allen"

https://www.thewrap.com/wallace-shaw...lling-to-work/
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2021, 09:48 AM   #816
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Wallace Shawn has now written a piece for The Wrap entitled "Why I’m Still Willing to Work With Woody Allen"
https://www.thewrap.com/wallace-shaw...lling-to-work/

Dylan's allegation against Allen has always been chilling. But it should be noted that multiple investigations never confirmed it, and her brother Moses insists it never happened.
Quote:
I was present for everything that transpired in our house before, during, and after the alleged event. Now that the public hysteria of earlier this year has died down a little and I have some hope that the truth can get a fair hearing, I want to share my story.
https://mosesfarrow.blogspot.com/201...es-farrow.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2021, 02:04 PM   #817
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

A lot of people are willing to give Allen a pass on his behavior because he is a talented filmmaker and artists are above the law and the normal rules of society do not apply.
Of course they don't say this in so many words but it's what they think.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2021, 02:12 PM   #818
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
A lot of people are willing to give Allen a pass on his behavior because he is a talented filmmaker and artists are above the law and the normal rules of society do not apply.
Well, Roman Polanski says Woody Allen's an okay guy. I can't think why everybody can't be satisified with that.
Old 16th November 2021, 04:32 PM   #819
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Most of the celebrities accused of sexual misconduct -- Cosby, Weinstein, Rose, Spacey etc. -- have demonstrated patterns of behavior over years, even decades, with numerous credible accounts from multiple victims. The only accusation of this kind ever made against Allen came from his little daughter, who reportedly was heavily coached by her mother during a bitter divorce battle. It was never substantiated by investigating authorities. Allen may well be guilty, but his case is certainly different from the others.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2021, 04:34 PM   #820
Cain
Straussian

The Woody Allen accusations ring hollow. Farrow accused him of being a "child molester" prior to buying Dylan ice cream and coaxing the girl to change her story.

Here's an overlong, but comprehensive video essay, which can be played at 2X speed.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Diablo: You're a lousy bigot. Apologise and withdraw that remark.
Cain: Nah.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2021, 05:03 PM   #821
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Well, Roman Polanski says Woody Allen's an okay guy. I can't think why everybody can't be satisified with that.
I almost used Polanski as another example of
"Artist are now bound by the rules of society" mentality.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2021, 05:12 PM   #822
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I almost used Polanski as another example of
"Artist are now bound by the rules of society" mentality.
I think it's more about being rich than being famous. We only heard about those two because they were famous, but if they'd merely been rich and not famous they'd still get away with it.
Old 16th November 2021, 08:47 PM   #823
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
The Woody Allen accusations ring hollow. Farrow accused him of being a "child molester" prior to buying Dylan ice cream and coaxing the girl to change her story.
Don't make us watch 2.5 hours (or even half). What are the key conclusions, and who is reaching them?
Old 16th November 2021, 09:47 PM   #824
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Don't make us watch 2.5 hours (or even half). What are the key conclusions, and who is reaching them?
I'm not making anyone do anything. It's a soup-to-nuts overview of the case, and a lot better than Wallace Shawn's essay (which I didn't finish).

I think the video essayist has condensed versions of why the case against Allen is basically a hoax.
Diablo: You're a lousy bigot. Apologise and withdraw that remark.
Cain: Nah.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2021, 10:11 PM   #825
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Dylan Farrow's open letter about Woody Allen's sexual abuse

Here's a condensed version, 12 minutes or so.

https://youtu.be/5yp0y85ZNg8

Eta: the main point seems to be that the two police expert investigations both deemed the allegations false.

Last edited by Orphia Nay; 16th November 2021 at 10:15 PM.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2021, 08:45 AM   #826
Duncanthrax
Scholar

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Well, Mia Farrow says Roman Polanski's an okay guy. I can't think why everybody can't be satisfied with that.
Duncanthrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events