IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags dylan farrow , mia farrow , sexual misconduct charges , woody allen

Reply
Old 2nd February 2014, 05:39 PM   #81
Cool Hand Luke
Muse
 
Cool Hand Luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 505
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Is merely asking the questions "coaching" in your opinion?
.
YES!! It certainly can be.

Ask a 7yo if they've ever ridden in a spaceship enough times and you will eventually get a "yes". Ask them anything enough times in a way that indicates the answer you want and they will eventually give you that answer.

See the Haunting in Indiana thread for an excellent example of invoked behaviour in kids.

It's not to say that the kid is lying, just that an adult - especially a trusted adult like a parent - can easily perform this type of coaching without ever realizing that their doing it. A lot of the time the kids just want to please. Other times they just want to give you the answer they know you want so you'll shut up and go away. Once that answer is given they don't like to go back on it and have you call them a liar.

You need to be quite careful of conclusions drawn from a young child's statements. Kids are easily manipulated by adults without the adult even realizing it.
__________________
.
Say what you want about the tenets of International Skepticism, but at least it's an ethos.
.

Last edited by Cool Hand Luke; 2nd February 2014 at 05:40 PM.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 05:41 PM   #82
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger
 
Damien Evans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 34,458
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Technically a step daughter or not, 56 yr old dating the 19 yr old adopted daughter of his common law wife suggests he might have a thing for young girls and family ties are not a barrier for him.

I can see Mia getting nasty finding out, I can see the young girl being coached in her answers (prosecutors and child welfare interviewers have often done the same especially in that era).

But, it's also possible for a man to abuse a young girl without penetration and without leaving physical evidence.

And the judges in the case never exonerated Allen and felt there was enough there to deny him visitation.

I side with: the guy is more probable than not, creepy. But it isn't 100% certain from the looks of the evidence here.
No, it doesn't. Not even remotely. A 19 (or 21) year old is an adult. Starting a relationship with an adult suggests nothing whatsoever about any possible sexual preference for children.
__________________
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 05:46 PM   #83
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,773
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I've read the paragraph you quote immediately after you say this. I don't see any claims of coaching.

The nanny says the mother made a video where she asked her daughter what Allen did and wanted to tape the responses. We were already aware of that fact. The nanny says that when the daughter didn't answer, the mother just stopped taping and asked again later. Where is the "coaching" part? Is merely asking the questions "coaching" in your opinion?
Absolutely asking questions can be coaching. In this case, under the circumstances described by the nanny, it is definitely coaching. Have you not read anything on the child sex abuse debacle of the 1980's?
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 05:53 PM   #84
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,773
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Technically a step daughter or not, 56 yr old dating the 19 yr old adopted daughter of his common law wife suggests he might have a thing for young girls and family ties are not a barrier for him.
Not even "technically" a step daughter. Do you not read any of the links posted before you post these errors?

Quote:
Every time I stumble upon this topic on the internet, it seems the people who are most outraged are also the most ignorant of the facts. Following are the top ten misconceptions, followed by my response in italics:

#1: Soon-Yi was Woody’s daughter. False.

#2: Soon-Yi was Woody’s step-daughter. False.

#3: Soon-Yi was Woody and Mia’s adopted daughter. False. Soon-Yi was the adopted daughter of Mia Farrow and André Previn. Her full name was Soon-Yi Farrow Previn.

#4: Woody and Mia were married. False.

#5: Woody and Mia lived together. False. Woody lived in his apartment on Fifth Ave. Mia and her kids lived on Central Park West. In fact, Woody never once stayed over night at Mia’s apartment in 12 years.

#6: Woody and Mia had a common-law marriage. False. New York State does not recognize common law marriage. Even in states that do, a couple has to cohabitate for a certain number of years.

#7: Soon-Yi viewed Woody as a father figure. False. Soon-Yi saw Woody as her mother’s boyfriend. Her father figure was her adoptive father, André Previn.

#8: Soon-Yi was underage when she and Woody started having relations. False. She was either 19 or 21. (Her year of birth in Korea was undocumented, but believed to be either 1970 or ’72.)

#9: Soon-Yi was borderline retarded. Ha! She’s smart as a whip, has a degree from Columbia University and speaks more languages than you.

#10: Woody was grooming Soon-Yi from an early age to be his child bride. Oh, come on! According to court documents and Mia’s own memoir, until 1990 (when Soon-Yi was 18 or 20), Woody “had little to do with any of the Previn children, (but) had the least to do with Soon-Yi” so Mia encouraged him to spend more time with her. Woody started taking her to basketball games, and the rest is tabloid history. So he hardly “had his eye on her” from the time she was a child.


Quote:
And the judges in the case never exonerated Allen and felt there was enough there to deny him visitation.
The investigators exonerated Allen, that's more important. In the case of the judges, one wonders what evidence they used as the investigators found NOTHING. The one prosecutor was even disciplined for saying the evidence was "inconclusive" when all the investigators stated the evidence was "very conclusive" and that Dylan had not suffered any sexual abuse.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."

Last edited by qayak; 2nd February 2014 at 05:58 PM.
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 05:55 PM   #85
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 31,710
Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
http://www.thewrap.com/woody-allen-r...ue-disgusting/

He says he didn't do it. If I were her and if this story of hers was true I'd take a lie detector test.
Yes, but aren't lie detector tests notoriously unreliable?

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Technically a step daughter or not, 56 yr old dating the 19 yr old adopted daughter of his common law wife suggests he might have a thing for young girls and family ties are not a barrier for him.
I think there is a big difference between 19-year old "young girls" and 7-year old young girls.

And the "family ties" point is just innuendo of the "there's no smoke without fire" variety.
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 06:07 PM   #86
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 31,710
Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
But these allegations aren't new, so I don't see how the fact they're being made again demonstrates anything one way or another.
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Looks like Allen is going to comment on the letter.



http://ca.news.yahoo.com/conn-prosec...163607728.html
This is why I think Woody Allen may well sue, or want to sue.

This isn't just some Twitter gossip; it's prominently front page of just about every online news outlet, and was in the New York Times, which I imagine Allen subscribes to the dead tree version of, along with most of his friends and acquaintances.

In other words, almost everyone who he comes into contact with is going to be thinking about it or talking to him about it, or deliberately avoiding talking to him about it. If he starts getting disinvited to awards ceremonies (although I understand he rarely goes to them) or film projects then it will be a sure case of defamation/libel which is false accusations which would damage a person's reputation if they were believed to be true, assuming, of course, that the allegations are false.

But I take the point, made earlier by Matthew Best, that even if he doesn't sue then it would not demonstrate his guilt. I would still expect him to do so, if he is innocent as it might be worth his while simply drawing a line under this once and for all.
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 06:16 PM   #87
desertgal
Illuminator
 
desertgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,198
Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
From that article:



Huh, wonder why Allen's fawning hagiographer didn't see fit to mention any of that.
Mention this?

Quote:
Farrow found out about the affair when Allen left pornographic photographs of Soon-Yi on his mantel in January 1992—eight months before Dylan made her allegations.
That really seems likely to you? A man is having a secret affair with his girlfriend's adopted daughter...so he take pornographics pictures of her, and then puts them on his mantel for not only Mia but EVERY visitor to his apartment to see?

How many of you would take pornographic pictures-presumably not artistic nudes, but pornographic-pictures of your much younger love interest, who is also the daughter of your other love interest, and put them for all and sundry to view?

Nu-uh. Not buying it.
__________________
"It's obvious that you seem to be threatened by me for some reason and I find that extremely amusing." - Jodie
desertgal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 06:24 PM   #88
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)
 
Tsukasa Buddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,302
I find the Slate article a much better read than the obscure and narrative "Not So Fast". Perhaps because I had not heard all about these allegations before I found that one to not be "enlightening". It is still all very messy for me.
__________________
As cultural anthropologists have always said "human culture" = "human nature". You might as well put a fish on the moon to test how it "swims naturally" without the "influence of water". -Earthborn
Tsukasa Buddha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 06:42 PM   #89
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 31,710
Originally Posted by desertgal View Post
Mention this?



That really seems likely to you? A man is having a secret affair with his girlfriend's adopted daughter...so he take pornographics pictures of her, and then puts them on his mantel for not only Mia but EVERY visitor to his apartment to see?

How many of you would take pornographic pictures-presumably not artistic nudes, but pornographic-pictures of your much younger love interest, who is also the daughter of your other love interest, and put them for all and sundry to view?

Nu-uh. Not buying it.
It's not reported as though it were one person's opinion, though. From what I understand Mia Farrow really did find out about Woody Allen's affair with Soon-yi. How she did so is really rather trivial isn't it?

Besides, we don't know what the photos were like on his mantel. I suppose you are assuming that they were in tasteful frames, when what it could mean is that they were photographs that were simply left there for convenience, just as someone might put their newspaper down on the mantel. It wouldn't necessarily mean the newspaper was framed.
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 06:47 PM   #90
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher
 
A'isha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 15,221
Originally Posted by desertgal View Post
That really seems likely to you? A man is having a secret affair with his girlfriend's adopted daughter...so he take pornographics pictures of her, and then puts them on his mantel for not only Mia but EVERY visitor to his apartment to see?

How many of you would take pornographic pictures-presumably not artistic nudes, but pornographic-pictures of your much younger love interest, who is also the daughter of your other love interest, and put them for all and sundry to view?

Nu-uh. Not buying it.
http://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/a...1/farrow199211

Quote:
Farrow—who, contrary to Allen’s subsequent assertions that their relationship was nearly over by January, still thought they would be spending the rest of their lives together—made the discovery of Allen’s affair with Soon-Yi when she found a stack of Polaroids taken by him of her daughter, her legs spread in full frontal nudity. Woody would later say publicly that the pictures had been taken because Soon-Yi was interested in modeling. Mia found the pictures while she was in Woody’s apartment waiting for one of the children to complete a play-therapy session with a psychologist. (Until recently, Allen paid for all these shrinks; therapy was considered “a family tradition.”) The pictures were under a box of tissues on Allen’s mantle.
Better?
__________________
When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes - Desiderius Erasmus

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 07:21 PM   #91
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,242
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post

You need to be quite careful of conclusions drawn from a young child's statements. Kids are easily manipulated by adults without the adult even realizing it.
Okay, I get that. It seems to me that's really the primary reason charges weren't filed initially.

But then you've got the same kid, as an adult, and not held accountable for things she may have been pressured into saying as a kid, continuing to maintain the allegation of her own volition.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 07:24 PM   #92
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,773
From the Slate article:

Quote:
In his June 1993 ruling, Wilk also denied Allen any visitation rights with Dylan or his older adopted child with Farrow, 15-year-old Moses. In May 1994, in a hearing considering custody or increased visitation for Allen, the Appellate Division of the state Supreme Court cited a “clear consensus” among psychiatric experts involved in the case that Allen’s “interest in Dylan was abnormally intense."
And yet:

Quote:
"After considering Ms. Farrow's position as the sole caretaker of the children, the satisfactory fashion in which she has fulfilled that function and Mr. Allen's serious parental inadequacies, it is clear that the best interests of the children will be served by their continued custody with Ms. Farrow," Justice Wilk wrote.

The judge, however, did not entirely close the door on any possible future contact between Mr. Allen and Dylan, ruling that a therapist must be hired within six months to determine whether it would be harmful for Dylan to resume visits with Mr. Allen, whom she has not been permitted to see since August. "A further review of visitation will be considered only after we are able to evaluate the progress of Dylan's therapy," the judge said.

In addition, while Justice Wilk denied Mr. Allen's request for unsupervised visits with his 5-year-old son, Satchel Farrow, he allowed him to increase the number of weekly supervised visits with the boy from two to three. As for Mr. Allen's third child, 15-year-old Moses Farrow, the justice said he would accede to the boy's wishes that he not be forced to see his father.
So the Slate article got all that wrong.

Also:

Quote:
In almost every way, the opinion was a repudiation of the parental role of Mr. Allen, who filed his custody lawsuit last August, about a week after Ms. Farrow accused him of molesting Dylan at Ms. Farrow's country home in Bridgewater, Conn. A team of investigators from Yale-New Haven Hospital that was retained by the Connecticut State Police subsequently concluded Dylan had not been abused.
And:

Quote:
"Mr. Allen has demonstrated no parenting skills that would qualify him as an adequate custodian for Moses, Dylan or Satchel," the justice wrote. "His financial contributions to the children's support, his willingness to read to them, to tell them stories, to buy them presents and to oversee their breakfasts, do not compensate for his absence as a meaningful source of guidance and caring in their lives.
So, the custody decision was actually based on his poor parenting ability and not on the abuse allegations.

And as for Wilks believing the abuse allegations were true:

Quote:
Justice Wilk, however, questioned the manner in which the Yale-New Haven team carried out its investigation of the allegations, as well as conclusions by two psychotherapists who treated Dylan that she had not been abused. "I am less certain, however, than is the Yale-New Haven team, that the evidence proves conclusively that there was no sexual abuse," Justice Wilk wrote.

The justice said he believed the conclusions of the psychotherapists had been "colored by their loyalty to Mr. Allen." He added that the unwillingness of members of the Yale-New Haven team to testify at the trial, except through a deposition by the team leader, and the destruction of the team's notes had "compromised my ability to scrutinize their findings and resulted in a report which was sanitized and, therefore, less credible."
So . . . a team appointed by the prosecutor was biased in favour of the defendant and had less knowledge in their field than the judge . . . okay.

Also, the judge's decision was based on the actions of the prosecutor's investigative team, not on the actions of Allen himself. He felt Allen might have molested Dylan because the investigators would not testify and had destroyed their notes. How is that Allen's fault?

http://www.nytimes.com/books/97/02/2...w-verdict.html
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."

Last edited by qayak; 2nd February 2014 at 07:32 PM.
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 07:30 PM   #93
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,773
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
But then you've got the same kid, as an adult, and not held accountable for things she may have been pressured into saying as a kid, continuing to maintain the allegation of her own volition.
That isn't unusual at all. What you learn as a child is very hard to shake off as an adult and adults are easily made to believe false things as well.

How do you account for the fact that another child has stated that he now understands that this entire incident was manufactured by Farrow and that all the kids were brainwashed?
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 07:34 PM   #94
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,242
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Absolutely asking questions can be coaching. In this case, under the circumstances described by the nanny, it is definitely coaching. Have you not read anything on the child sex abuse debacle of the 1980's?
I have; so your response mystifies me even more. The satanic daycare sex abuse debacle of the 1980's, which I assume you're referring to, tended to involve bullying interviews where children received negative feedback and reinforcement for not "correctly" remembering abuse their parents asserted. It is practically the diametric opposite method of asking a question, and then dropping the matter for a while when the child is unresponsive and asking again another time - which is what the nanny describes the mother doing, and which it seems to me is not dissimilar to procedures psychological professionals use in such cases.

This case is completely unlike the satanic panic cases in just about every possible way that an allegation of child molestation can be.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 07:37 PM   #95
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,242
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
That isn't unusual at all. What you learn as a child is very hard to shake off as an adult and adults are easily made to believe false things as well.

How do you account for the fact that another child has stated that he now understands that this entire incident was manufactured by Farrow and that all the kids were brainwashed?
While a third child has stated that he believes the claims fully and supported the alleged victim over Twitter when she made her statements after the award show? Why are we having to account for uninvolved peoples' opinions in this matter? How are they even material? Nobody made any claims that anything was done to or in the presence of anyone except the alleged victim.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 07:38 PM   #96
Kahalachan
Illuminator
 
Kahalachan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,237
Originally Posted by colander View Post
he problaby didnt do it because he makeded the funny movies i liked!!
That's a bit shameful that this is exactly the line of reasoning for a lot of people. Believing some celeb they like could do no harm.

Without claiming he did it without evidence, something does seem fishy about a guy who marries his adopted daughter. He would seem to have certain......tendencies shall we say.
Kahalachan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 07:49 PM   #97
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger
 
Damien Evans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 34,458
Originally Posted by Kahalachan View Post
That's a bit shameful that this is exactly the line of reasoning for a lot of people. Believing some celeb they like could do no harm.

Without claiming he did it without evidence, something does seem fishy about a guy who marries his adopted daughter. He would seem to have certain......tendencies shall we say.
How many times does it have to be pointed out that he did no such thing before it will sink in?

Does it have to be put up in neon lights that she wasn't his daughter before people will get it?
__________________
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 07:52 PM   #98
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 31,710
Originally Posted by Kahalachan View Post
That's a bit shameful that this is exactly the line of reasoning for a lot of people. Believing some celeb they like could do no harm.

Without claiming he did it without evidence, something does seem fishy about a guy who marries his adopted daughter. He would seem to have certain......tendencies shall we say.
Well, on the other hand, maybe you are strawmanning people's positions because you yourself have made a snap judgment about them and their motives while you yourself are, shall we say, ignorant of the facts.

He did not marry his adopted daughter so the, shall we smear, tendencies you determine must be there, might not be there after all.
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:14 PM   #99
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme
 
Vortigern99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 7,905
Originally Posted by Kahalachan View Post
That's a bit shameful that this is exactly the line of reasoning for a lot of people. Believing some celeb they like could do no harm.

Without claiming he did it without evidence, something does seem fishy about a guy who marries his adopted daughter. He would seem to have certain......tendencies shall we say.
Soon-Yi Previn was Andre Previn's and Mia Farrow's adopted daughter. Woody Allen was never married to Mia Farrow, never lived with her, and never stayed the night at her NYC apartment in the twelve years they were together.

WTA: Woody and Soon-Yi have been married for something like 16 years, and together since 1992. She was 21 when they started dating.

Celebs are human. They can and do commit immoral, even criminal acts. In this case, however, there is no evidence of wrongdoing.
__________________
"I'm 'willing to admit' any fact that can be shown to be evidential and certain." -- Vortigern99

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by Vortigern99; 2nd February 2014 at 08:16 PM.
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:28 PM   #100
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,773
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
While a third child has stated that he believes the claims fully and supported the alleged victim over Twitter when she made her statements after the award show? Why are we having to account for uninvolved peoples' opinions in this matter? How are they even material? Nobody made any claims that anything was done to or in the presence of anyone except the alleged victim.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. We were discussing coaching and you wonder why we thought there was no coaching. I responded and then asked you, if there was no coaching, how do you account for another child, now adult, in the same household stating that there was coaching and, in fact, "brainwashing?" So this isn't a case of one child believing the abuse happened and one not. It is a case of one believing the abuse took place and one knowing that coaching and manipulation did.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."

Last edited by qayak; 2nd February 2014 at 08:36 PM.
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:31 PM   #101
desertgal
Illuminator
 
desertgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,198
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
It's not reported as though it were one person's opinion, though. From what I understand Mia Farrow really did find out about Woody Allen's affair with Soon-yi. How she did so is really rather trivial isn't it?

Besides, we don't know what the photos were like on his mantel. I suppose you are assuming that they were in tasteful frames, when what it could mean is that they were photographs that were simply left there for convenience, just as someone might put their newspaper down on the mantel. It wouldn't necessarily mean the newspaper was framed.
No, I wasn't assuming they were framed, merely a stack of Polaroids. It seems highly unlikely Allen would leave such simply laying on a mantelpiece. Nude pictures in a desk or nightstand drawer, okay. Tossed carelessly on a mantel, no.

Presumably Allen also has a housekeeper, who would probably stick such in a drawer while cleaning.
__________________
"It's obvious that you seem to be threatened by me for some reason and I find that extremely amusing." - Jodie
desertgal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:33 PM   #102
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,773
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Okay, I get that. It seems to me that's really the primary reason charges weren't filed initially.
No. He wasn't charged because there was no evidence of wrong doing.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:34 PM   #103
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Central Scrutinizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 53,060
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Considering he married another step daughter...
As you (should) know, it's not illegal to marry someone else's step-daughter.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
They shouldn't have honored him at the awards.
Why not?
__________________
If I see somebody with a gun on a plane? I'll kill him.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:35 PM   #104
desertgal
Illuminator
 
desertgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,198
Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
Better?
Better than what?
__________________
"It's obvious that you seem to be threatened by me for some reason and I find that extremely amusing." - Jodie
desertgal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:38 PM   #105
Kahalachan
Illuminator
 
Kahalachan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,237
Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post
WTA: Woody and Soon-Yi have been married for something like 16 years, and together since 1992. She was 21 when they started dating.

Celebs are human. They can and do commit immoral, even criminal acts. In this case, however, there is no evidence of wrongdoing.
Which is why I said "He would seem to have certain......tendencies shall we say."

It's not evidence of wrongdoing further than one girl's public testimony, but in understanding his disposition and character, he does seem to not show restraint regarding age or relation.

It'd be similar to how I would more readily buy into testimony against Mel Gibson if it were related to anti-Semitism. He's displayed such tendencies in the past so there's less of a demand for evidence since the claim becomes less extraordinary.
Kahalachan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:38 PM   #106
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Central Scrutinizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 53,060
Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post
Some salient points from the Not So Fast article:
On the stand, Allen’s attorney asked Mia about the second doctor’s findings: “There was no evidence of injury to the anal or vaginal area [of Dylan Farrow], is that correct?” Farrow answered, “Yes.”

... Kristie Groteke, another nanny. “She told me that she felt guilty allowing Ms. Farrow to say those things about Mr. Allen. (Groteke) said the day Mr. Allen spent with the kids, she did not have Dylan out of her sight for longer than five minutes. She did not remember Dylan being without her underwear.”

... As to why the team felt the charges didn’t hold water, [Dr. John M. Leventhal, who headed the Yale-New Haven Hospital investigative team looking into the abuse charges] states: “We had two hypotheses: one, that these were statements made by an emotionally disturbed child and then became fixed in her mind. And the other hypothesis was that she was coached or influenced by her mother. We did not come to a firm conclusion. We think that it was probably a combination.”

... He also said the child’s accounts had “a rehearsed quality.” At one point, she told him, “I like to cheat on my stories.” The sworn statement further concludes: “Even before the claim of abuse was made last August, the view of Mr. Allen as an evil and awful and terrible man permeated the household. ... It’s quite possible —as a matter of fact, we think it’s medically probable—that (Dylan) stuck to that story over time because of the intense relationship she had with her mother.”

... Mia wouldn't take a lie detector test. (Woody took one and passed.)
How dare you allow skepticism to stand in the way of a good witch hunt?
__________________
If I see somebody with a gun on a plane? I'll kill him.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:41 PM   #107
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme
 
Vortigern99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 7,905
Originally Posted by Kahalachan View Post
Which is why I said "He would seem to have certain......tendencies shall we say."

It's not evidence of wrongdoing further than one girl's public testimony, but in understanding his disposition and character, he does seem to not show restraint regarding age or relation.

It'd be similar to how I would more readily buy into testimony against Mel Gibson if it were related to anti-Semitism. He's displayed such tendencies in the past so there's less of a demand for evidence since the claim becomes less extraordinary.
Hogwash. Is it lost on you that Soon-Yi was 21 when their relationship started? Does it matter not a whit that they're still together, 22 years later, 16 of which they've been married? What "tendencies" are being demonstrated here, in your view?
__________________
"I'm 'willing to admit' any fact that can be shown to be evidential and certain." -- Vortigern99

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:43 PM   #108
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,773
Originally Posted by Kahalachan View Post
Which is why I said "He would seem to have certain......tendencies shall we say."

It's not evidence of wrongdoing further than one girl's public testimony, but in understanding his disposition and character, he does seem to not show restraint regarding age or relation.

It'd be similar to how I would more readily buy into testimony against Mel Gibson if it were related to anti-Semitism. He's displayed such tendencies in the past so there's less of a demand for evidence since the claim becomes less extraordinary.
So you tend to think having a relationship with a 21 year old woman, later marrying her and adopting kids with her is the same as molesting your 7 year old daughter? I think that's a stranger tendency than anything Allen did.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."

Last edited by qayak; 2nd February 2014 at 08:45 PM.
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:48 PM   #109
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Central Scrutinizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 53,060
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
But you've taken your argument to the point where it's turned into a pseudo-religion for you. You've developed a dogma where accusation=fact and suggestion=conviction. That's not how it works. That's not how it should work. We base our legal system on (slightly) better standards than that. We actually demand that people are tried and convicted before we string them from a tree.
The SJWs (A+, etc) despise Allen. For them, if a (white) man is accused of rape or sexual assault, he is guilty. No trial is required.
__________________
If I see somebody with a gun on a plane? I'll kill him.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:49 PM   #110
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Central Scrutinizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 53,060
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
Doubtless A+ could work out what the truth of this is.
See my prior post.

__________________
If I see somebody with a gun on a plane? I'll kill him.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:50 PM   #111
Kahalachan
Illuminator
 
Kahalachan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,237
Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post
Hogwash. Is it lost on you that Soon-Yi was 21 when their relationship started? Does it matter not a whit that they're still together, 22 years later, 16 of which they've been married? What "tendencies" are being demonstrated here, in your view?
So let me get this straight. A guy marries his ex-lover's adopted daughter. Nothing seems off about this?

You're just pointing that he's committed to her. The claim isn't that he's cheated on her. The claim is that he's been sexual with someone significantly younger and close enough to be considered family.

OMG that's happened before
Kahalachan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:52 PM   #112
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Central Scrutinizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 53,060
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
Can we all just agree none of us have any way to tell what in the hell happened in these peoples chaotic lives? There appear to be witnesses to the events to support Allen being a molester and Allen not being a molester. Clearly some of these people must either be deluded or lying. On what basis can anybody form an opinion on this?

If somebody has some evidence, or some facts to debate, then lets debate the facts.
At most there are two people in the entire world who know what happened in the attic (and none of them are in this thread). I say at most, because it's possible no one knows. If something never happened, no one could know about it.
__________________
If I see somebody with a gun on a plane? I'll kill him.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:54 PM   #113
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,773
Originally Posted by Kahalachan View Post
The claim is that he's been sexual with someone significantly younger and close enough to be considered family.

OMG that's happened before
Yeah, Mia Farrow did it.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:57 PM   #114
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Central Scrutinizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 53,060
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Technically a step daughter or not, 56 yr old dating the 19 yr old adopted daughter of his common law wife suggests he might have a thing for young girls and family ties are not a barrier for him.
It is not against the law to "have a thing" for young "girls" (adult women). As you (should) know, he had no family ties to her. He dated his girlfriend's step-daughter.

Perhaps you can provide a list of which relationships are "acceptable" and which aren't. And remember to show your work.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
But, it's also possible for a man to abuse a young girl without penetration and without leaving physical evidence.
So no evidence = evidence? WTF?
__________________
If I see somebody with a gun on a plane? I'll kill him.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:58 PM   #115
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Central Scrutinizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 53,060
Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Poor girl. Why didn't she tell someone before now?
Probably because there wasn't a book coming out then.
__________________
If I see somebody with a gun on a plane? I'll kill him.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 09:00 PM   #116
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Central Scrutinizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 53,060
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I've read the paragraph you quote immediately after you say this. I don't see any claims of coaching.

The nanny says the mother made a video where she asked her daughter what Allen did and wanted to tape the responses. We were already aware of that fact. The nanny says that when the daughter didn't answer, the mother just stopped taping and asked again later. Where is the "coaching" part? Is merely asking the questions "coaching" in your opinion?
The implication is that the "coaching" took place when the tape wasn't running. The only reason I can think of to stop the tape is because you need to "correct" the answers the child gave (or didn't give).
__________________
If I see somebody with a gun on a plane? I'll kill him.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 09:01 PM   #117
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,242
Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
So no evidence = evidence? WTF?
Wow - that's a good point. Logically, we cannot ever believe any claim of non-penetrative molestation. It cannot be demonstrated to have ever happened, ever.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 09:06 PM   #118
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,773
Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
The implication is that the "coaching" took place when the tape wasn't running. The only reason I can think of to stop the tape is because you need to "correct" the answers the child gave (or didn't give).
Also, the nanny says the video took 2-3 days to shoot. That's a lot of harping on a child. In that time you can pretty much get them to say anything you want.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 09:09 PM   #119
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Central Scrutinizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 53,060
Originally Posted by Kahalachan View Post
That's a bit shameful that this is exactly the line of reasoning for a lot of people. Believing some celeb they like could do no harm.

Without claiming he did it without evidence, something does seem fishy about a guy who marries his adopted daughter. He would seem to have certain......tendencies shall we say.
Oops! Someone hasn't done their reading. That has to be embarrassing!
__________________
If I see somebody with a gun on a plane? I'll kill him.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2014, 09:13 PM   #120
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Central Scrutinizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 53,060
Originally Posted by Kahalachan View Post
Which is why I said "He would seem to have certain......tendencies shall we say."
Tendencies to date adult women? That monster!!!!!

Originally Posted by Kahalachan View Post
It's not evidence of wrongdoing further than one girl's public testimony, but in understanding his disposition and character, he does seem to not show restraint regarding age or relation.
So he should be in prison for dating an adult woman who he was not related to? That pretty much describes every girlfriend I've ever had.

THC
__________________
If I see somebody with a gun on a plane? I'll kill him.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:02 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.