IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags dylan farrow , mia farrow , sexual misconduct charges , woody allen

Old 3rd February 2014, 03:16 PM   #161
bumlet5
Indescribable

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
All valid points.

I'm curious where she gets the money to raise 15 kids? She's had a few bit parts in recent years, but hasn't been a movie "star" in 25+.
The last one was adopted in 1995. The youngest that kid could possibly be is 19 (and knowing her past, the kid probably wasn't adopted as a newborn). She was still making plenty of money then. Probably still is.

"I'm a soundwave tsunami, vocal origami, hijack the mic and it's not like anyone could stop me." -mc chris
"I've seen so much death" <("<) (>")> <("<) (>")> <("<) (>")> -Nathan Fillion
bumlet5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2014, 03:19 PM   #162
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bumlet5 View Post
The last one was adopted in 1995. The youngest that kid could possibly be is 19 (and knowing her past, the kid probably wasn't adopted as a newborn). She was still making plenty of money then. Probably still is.
She's got two grandchildren to look after. One of her adopted kids died in poverty of AIDS. That's the daughter that some reports claim she treated like a scullery maid.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2014, 03:33 PM   #163
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by desertgal View Post
I'm wondering the same. If Allen IS a child molester, then, yes, that would be worthy of contempt or worse. But I haven't seen any proof, just some questionable allegations.
I too am a bit confused as to why people on a skeptic forum are condemning someone for a crime no court of law had found him guilty of. Isn't that how it works in a nation of laws? I myself will withhold judgement either way.

Sure, the Soon Yi thing made him serm a bit of a creep, but to use a consenting, and by all accounts a loving relationship as 'evidence' that Allen likes to rape young girls is as stupid as it is offensive.

Last edited by Undesired Walrus; 3rd February 2014 at 03:37 PM.
Undesired Walrus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2014, 03:37 PM   #164
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Undesired Walrus View Post
I too am a bit confused as to why people on a skeptic forum are condemning someone for a crime no court of law had found him guilty of.
He was married to the notorious child collector/neglector and friend of the kiddie fiddlers Mia Farrow. Maybe it's guilt by association?
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2014, 03:48 PM   #165
bumlet5
Indescribable

I too am a bit confused as to why people on a skeptic forum are condemning someone for a crime no court of law had found him guilty of. Isn't that how it works in a nation of laws? I myself will withhold judgement either way.

Sure, the Soon Yi thing made him serm a bit of a creep, but to use a consenting, and by all accounts a loving relationship as 'evidence' that Allen likes to rape young girls is as stupid as it is offensive.
You didn't read the link that I posted, and you didn't actually read what I said, did you?

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
He was married to the notorious child collector/neglector and friend of the kiddie fiddlers Mia Farrow. Maybe it's guilt by association?
They weren't married, nor did they ever live together. However, they were in a relationship for 12 years.

"I'm a soundwave tsunami, vocal origami, hijack the mic and it's not like anyone could stop me." -mc chris
"I've seen so much death" <("<) (>")> <("<) (>")> <("<) (>")> -Nathan Fillion
bumlet5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2014, 03:50 PM   #166
shuttlt
Philosopher

They weren't married, nor did they ever live together. However, they were in a relationship for 12 years.
Meh! Facts! It FEELS true!

Last edited by shuttlt; 3rd February 2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 3rd February 2014, 03:58 PM   #167
jiggeryqua
Illuminator

I have seen it alleged that they were married (#164, above). There's no smoke without fire. Between them, they've been married to five different people, they certainly seem the sort to have married each other, whatever public opinion might have to say on the matter.
Old 3rd February 2014, 04:01 PM   #168
Morrigan
Crone of War

Originally Posted by Vortigern99 View Post
I agree it's hilarious that you snipped and ignored the rest of my post. Emotion-charged posting irrespective of facts wins the day again!
I snipped the rest of the post because I was laughing at the lie detector part specifically. You listed that as a "salient point", which is all kinds of LOLs. Anyone who takes a lie detector test seriously is painfully ignorant at best.

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
He says he didn't do it. If I were her and if this story of hers was true I'd take a lie detector test.
*facepalm*

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
But then you've got the same kid, as an adult, and not held accountable for things she may have been pressured into saying as a kid, continuing to maintain the allegation of her own volition.
Bingo.

If we are slinging mud, does nobody think it's creepy for a woman to collect children like a crazy lady collects cats? Wikipedia says she has 15 (4 biological, 11 adopted). Her brother is doing 25 years for molesting kids, her ex-husband is accused of molesting kids, she is a friend and supporter of a man who's on the run for sexually assaulting a child. In her youth she dated a man who was 30 years older than her. One of her kids aparantly says that she brain washed them...
Really? Deflecting the accusations to start the ad hominems and well-poisoning on the victim's mother? This would be hilarious if it weren't so pathetic.

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
All valid points.
Valid point about what? If Mia Farrow is a crazy bitch in every way, that's still completely irrelevant. The letter was written by an adult Dylan Farrow. Why won't anyone talk about that, and instead talk about Mia Farrow's weirdness, or Allen's relationship with some Korean woman, or whatever? Anything to change the uncomfortable subject, I suppose... I guess that's what passes as "good skepticism" these days.
Morrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2014, 04:26 PM   #169
jiggeryqua
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
If Mia Farrow is a crazy bitch in every way, that's still completely irrelevant. The letter was written by an adult Dylan Farrow. Why won't anyone talk about that, and instead talk about Mia Farrow's weirdness, or Allen's relationship with some Korean woman, or whatever? Anything to change the uncomfortable subject, I suppose... I guess that's what passes as "good skepticism" these days.
So what do we know? About as much as we ever know in these ding-dong speculation threads. Person A alleges something. Person B denies it. Camp A, if I'm charitable, wants justice and protection of the vulnerable (if I'm not feeling charitable, they hate old white men, almost as much as dead white men). Camp B wants justice and protection of the vulnerable...through adherence to tried and tested legal channels for addressing allegations. Maybe not perfect methods, but like democracy, the best bad idea so far. Suggestions for improvement should be taken elsewhere.

So, both knowing next to nothing, Camp A and Camp B are barely distinguishable, merely running up flags and laying out trenches. In the event of there being enough knowledge to make discussion worthwhile, there wouldn't be any. If it turns out he's guilty, then he's guilty and I don't see any apologists for paedophilia. Meanwhile, the tension is between those who skeptically demand evidence and those who appear to think "good skepticism" involves suspicion of 'creepy' people who are probably guilty of all sorts of things.

Oh, and my adult daughter claims to remember things that didn't happen, and will argue blue in the face on the matter. Not related to abuse, I assure you, but it doesn't really matter what the topic is. It isn't "good skepticism" to pretend otherwise. Nobody has to answer why she might allege something that isn't true. People do that. Sometimes they don't even know it isn't true, they really do remember it that way. "Good skepticism" doesn't change its nature because the subject matter is the abuse of children.

Last edited by jiggeryqua; 3rd February 2014 at 04:29 PM.
jiggeryqua is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2014, 04:31 PM   #170
Doghouse Reilly
Adrift on an uncharted sea

Young. It's not always the man that's creepy, but in relationships with a large age gap it's much more common for the man to be the older one. I also find the Demi Moore/Ashton Kutcher relationship creepy. And Madonna with the dancer guy.
Why is it creepy for two adults to love each other? Who cares how old they are? Whenever I hear people say stuff like this it makes me feel as though they have some personal issues that they are projecting onto others.

Last edited by Doghouse Reilly; 3rd February 2014 at 05:03 PM.
Doghouse Reilly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2014, 04:34 PM   #171
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Nope, I read the thread and didn't find anyone sentencing him to punishment for a crime. There is no lynch mob here, just people trying to come to conclusions based on the little information we have. I don't think it is unskeptical, wrong, or irrational when a person is told, "Hey, don't support this guy he molested me," that they try reach a conclusion and not maintain an "I can't know" agnosticism.

Last edited by Tsukasa Buddha; 3rd February 2014 at 04:37 PM.
Tsukasa Buddha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2014, 04:34 PM   #172
Morrigan
Crone of War

Originally Posted by jiggeryqua View Post
Meanwhile, the tension is between those who skeptically demand evidence and those who appear to think "good skepticism" involves suspicion of 'creepy' people who are probably guilty of all sorts of things.

Oh, and my adult daughter claims to remember things that didn't happen, and will argue blue in the face on the matter. Not related to abuse, I assure you, but it doesn't really matter what the topic is. It isn't "good skepticism" to pretend otherwise. Nobody has to answer why she might allege something that isn't true. People do that. Sometimes they don't even know it isn't true, they really do remember it that way. "Good skepticism" doesn't change its nature because the subject matter is the abuse of children.
My jab at the "good skepticism" isn't about those who want to examine the evidence, it's about those who start talking about irrelevant, barely tangential things such as Mia Farrow's unusual number of children or her past marriages or relationships.
Morrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2014, 04:36 PM   #173
shuttlt
Philosopher

Really? Deflecting the accusations to start the ad hominems and well-poisoning on the victim's mother? This would be hilarious if it weren't so pathetic.
I have no idea whether Mia Farrow is a nice old lady or a hateful child collecting witch, as some people who are apparantly in a postion to know imply, any more than you know whether Woody Allen abused his daughter.
Old 3rd February 2014, 04:44 PM   #174
Cool Hand Luke
Muse

. . . The letter was written by an adult Dylan Farrow. Why won't anyone talk about that . . .
Alright, I'll talk about it in the form of a personal anecdote (which is about all we're getting from the actual participants anyway).

Narcolepsy runs in my family. One of the common symptoms is a phenomenon called sleep paralysis with hypnagogia - you go into a partially awake/partially dream-like state when entering or waking from sleep. During this phase you are completely paralyzed. You can't move an inch. At the same time you can have extraordinarily vivid "waking dreams" that can seem as current and convincing as if you were fully awake and experiencing the real world. It can be an extremely unpleasant experience. (Trust me on that one.)

I have an uncle who developed these symptoms as a relatively young lad (about 10-11yo I believe). His particular experience was that of being held down to the bed and crushed by an unseen attacker - a stereotypical "succubus" kind of thing. At the time he didn't know what was happening to him so chalked up the experience to the only thing that made sense to him: ghosts.

He became fully convinced that a family of ghosts followed him around during the first three decades of his life for the sole purpose of sitting on his chest and threatening him with suffocation on a nightly basis. He even developed associated hallucinations with it in which he swore he saw furniture flying through the air, heard demonic voices, etc, etc, etc.

Later, in his thirties, he was finally diagnosed with narcolepsy and had the whole sleep paralysis/hypnagogic hallucination thing explained to him.

Did that change his mind about the existence of ghosts?

Absolutely not. Now he believes that the ghosts in his youth were real, but acknowledges that the paralysis and hallucinations he still experiences today are caused by the narcolepsy.

How does he account for the obvious discrepancy?

He believes that the ghosts left, but gave him narcolepsy as a curse.

Moral of the story is that young people experience the world in a different way than adults do. They don't apply the logic we can to situations and often find the "truth" through alternate and distorted paths. And once those "truths" are embedded in a kid's conscience they become reality to that kid no matter what other evidence you might present to them in later life.

I wonder how many people on this very board were brought up in a Christian tradition, have rejected that tradition out of reason, but who still worry just a little bit from time to time that there might actually be a hell. I'm willing to put good odds that the percentage is higher than we'd like to admit. Once a mythos develops in a child it becomes reality to them. They truly believe it in a way deeper than adults can appreciate. It takes one heck of a psychological crowbar to wrench such beliefs out of people.

Does this mean that Dylan is lying in her statement? Absolutely not. As I've said before, I fully believe that she's telling what she believes to be the truth. I don't fault her in any way for doing what she's doing. I'm behind her 100%.

I just also hold the conviction - born of personal experience - that relying on nothing but a child's statements can be fraught with danger both at the time of the incident and decades after the fact. And that's especially true in Dylan's case given what we know about the context in which her memories formed. I therefore refuse to pass judgement on either Allen or Dylan or Mia. At this point nobody can ever know what really happened that day. There's just not enough to go on either way.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2014, 04:46 PM   #175
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Nope, I read the thread and didn't find anyone sentencing him to punishment for a crime. There is no lynch mob here, just people trying to come to conclusions based on the little information we have. I don't think it is unskeptical, wrong, or irrational when a person is told, "Hey, don't support this guy he molested me," that they try reach a conclusion and not maintain an "I can't know" agnosticism.
This isn't a philosophical position of "one can never know". There isn't enough evidence. We can't want our way to enough evidence to reach a judgement. None of us know these people. Some people who know Woody Allen clearly think he's OK. Some don't. The same with Mia Farrow. Some people claim he abused his kid. Other people who were there say that he couldn't have. Without looking at chicken entrails or casting runes, how are we going to decide if the claim is true?
Old 3rd February 2014, 04:48 PM   #176
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Meanwhile, the tension is between those who skeptically demand evidence and those who appear to think "good skepticism" involves suspicion of 'creepy' people who are probably guilty of all sorts of things.
Positively insinuating that the girl was coached and brainwashed by her mother ≠ "skeptically demanding evidence".
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2014, 04:52 PM   #177
Cool Hand Luke
Muse

Oh, and my adult daughter claims to remember things that didn't happen, and will argue blue in the face on the matter.
Let's get yours together with mine and see if they can agree on things that nobody else seems to remember.

Personal favorite from my kid is how I "forced" her to go on a summer educational/relief program to a medical aid station in Peru that she had no interest in attending and how this ruined her summer between 7th and 8th grades.

I still have the card she wrote begging me to give her the money for the trip and promising that she'll keep her room clean and help with household chores for a year if I did. I'm waiting for her to have children before I pull it out and teach her a lesson about kids and their "memories".

I also have the video of her arriving home at the airport and gushing over how awesome the rainforest was and how great a time she had. I'll roll that out as well if she forces me to go nuclear on it.

Last edited by Cool Hand Luke; 3rd February 2014 at 04:56 PM.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2014, 04:55 PM   #178
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

I snipped the rest of the post because I was laughing at the lie detector part specifically. You listed that as a "salient point", which is all kinds of LOLs. Anyone who takes a lie detector test seriously is painfully ignorant at best.

[...]
And by the same token, anyone who refuses to take a lie detector test is seriously and painfully ignorant of how this refusal will play-out in the court of public opinion.

Your serve.
Old 3rd February 2014, 04:58 PM   #179
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
And by the same token, anyone who refuses to take a lie detector test is seriously and painfully ignorant of how this refusal will play-out in the court of public opinion.

Your serve.
So what? Public opinion does not make lie detector tests any more reliable.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2014, 05:05 PM   #180
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
So what? Public opinion does not make lie detector tests any more reliable.

Maybe you think public opinion plays no part in legal proceedings and the criminal justice system?

I'm not saying it should, but I'm not naive enough to say it doesn't.
Old 3rd February 2014, 05:12 PM   #181
angrysoba
Philosophile

Maybe you think public opinion plays no part in legal proceedings and the criminal justice system?

I'm not saying it should, but I'm not naive enough to say it doesn't.
Maybe, but there are two problems here.

One is that there are some things that some people won't do on principle no matter how they fair in the approval ratings.

Two is that if the lie detector tests are as unreliable as I believe them to be then she might fail the lie detector test without lying, and then what would public opinion be?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2014, 05:25 PM   #182
Cool Hand Luke
Muse

Two is that if the lie detector tests are as unreliable as I believe them to be then she might fail the lie detector test without lying, and then what would public opinion be?
^^This

You only give your clients a polygraph when it's the one shot you've got in the cylinder and s/he needs a public opinion boost for some reason. I can't remember the last time I saw a (competent) defense attorney use one.

That said, Allen took his in a different time when people held much whackier faith in them than they do today. It was much more common practice back then so you can't read anything into it.
Old 3rd February 2014, 05:26 PM   #183
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe, but there are two problems here.

One is that there are some things that some people won't do on principle no matter how they fair in the approval ratings.

Actually, I agree on both problem points.
Old 3rd February 2014, 05:31 PM   #184
jiggeryqua
Illuminator

My jab at the "good skepticism" isn't about those who want to examine the evidence, it's about those who start talking about irrelevant, barely tangential things such as Mia Farrow's unusual number of children or her past marriages or relationships.
But not so much about those who start talking about irrelevant, barely tangential things such as Woody Allen's unusual relationship with Soon-Yi or his mantlepiece or tissue box?
Old 3rd February 2014, 05:36 PM   #185
AlBell
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Alright, I'll talk about it in the form of a personal anecdote (which is about all we're getting from the actual participants anyway).

Narcolepsy runs in my family. One of the common symptoms is a phenomenon called sleep paralysis with hypnagogia - you go into a partially awake/partially dream-like state when entering or waking from sleep. During this phase you are completely paralyzed. You can't move an inch. At the same time you can have extraordinarily vivid "waking dreams" that can seem as current and convincing as if you were fully awake and experiencing the real world. It can be an extremely unpleasant experience. (Trust me on that one.)

I have an uncle who developed these symptoms as a relatively young lad (about 10-11yo I believe). His particular experience was that of being held down to the bed and crushed by an unseen attacker - a stereotypical "succubus" kind of thing. At the time he didn't know what was happening to him so chalked up the experience to the only thing that made sense to him: ghosts.

He became fully convinced that a family of ghosts followed him around during the first three decades of his life for the sole purpose of sitting on his chest and threatening him with suffocation on a nightly basis. He even developed associated hallucinations with it in which he swore he saw furniture flying through the air, heard demonic voices, etc, etc, etc.

Later, in his thirties, he was finally diagnosed with narcolepsy and had the whole sleep paralysis/hypnagogic hallucination thing explained to him.

Did that change his mind about the existence of ghosts?

Absolutely not. Now he believes that the ghosts in his youth were real, but acknowledges that the paralysis and hallucinations he still experiences today are caused by the narcolepsy.

How does he account for the obvious discrepancy?

He believes that the ghosts left, but gave him narcolepsy as a curse.

Moral of the story is that young people experience the world in a different way than adults do. They don't apply the logic we can to situations and often find the "truth" through alternate and distorted paths. And once those "truths" are embedded in a kid's conscience they become reality to that kid no matter what other evidence you might present to them in later life.

I wonder how many people on this very board were brought up in a Christian tradition, have rejected that tradition out of reason, but who still worry just a little bit from time to time that there might actually be a hell. I'm willing to put good odds that the percentage is higher than we'd like to admit. Once a mythos develops in a child it becomes reality to them. They truly believe it in a way deeper than adults can appreciate. It takes one heck of a psychological crowbar to wrench such beliefs out of people.

Does this mean that Dylan is lying in her statement? Absolutely not. As I've said before, I fully believe that she's telling what she believes to be the truth. I don't fault her in any way for doing what she's doing. I'm behind her 100%.

I just also hold the conviction - born of personal experience - that relying on nothing but a child's statements can be fraught with danger both at the time of the incident and decades after the fact. And that's especially true in Dylan's case given what we know about the context in which her memories formed. I therefore refuse to pass judgement on either Allen or Dylan or Mia. At this point nobody can ever know what really happened that day. There's just not enough to go on either way.
Spoilsport.
AlBell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2014, 05:36 PM   #186
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Let's get yours together with mine and see if they can agree on things that nobody else seems to remember.

Personal favorite from my kid is how I "forced" her to go on a summer educational/relief program to a medical aid station in Peru that she had no interest in attending and how this ruined her summer between 7th and 8th grades.

I still have the card she wrote begging me to give her the money for the trip and promising that she'll keep her room clean and help with household chores for a year if I did. I'm waiting for her to have children before I pull it out and teach her a lesson about kids and their "memories".

I also have the video of her arriving home at the airport and gushing over how awesome the rainforest was and how great a time she had. I'll roll that out as well if she forces me to go nuclear on it.
You do realise that children and adults are both poor at recalling events? The infamous Nixon testimony proved this. In fact, some research shows this is more true of adults:

Quote:
Researchers Valerie Reyna, human development professor, and Chuck Brainerd, human development and law school professor--both from Cornell University--argue that like the two-headed Roman god Janus, memory is of two minds--that is, memories are captured and recorded separately and differently in two distinct parts of the mind.

They say children depend more heavily on a part of the mind that records, "what actually happened," while adults depend more on another part of the mind that records, "the meaning of what happened." As a result, they say, adults are more susceptible to false memories, which can be extremely problematic in court cases.
Linky.

Not saying this specifically about this case, but because of the way you were lording it over children .

My counter anecdote is my dog. My mother will claim that we children gave clichéd promised to take care of him in order to get him. But in reality she bought him online as some odd 9/11 coping thing.
Old 3rd February 2014, 05:36 PM   #187
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

^^This

You only give your clients a polygraph when it's the one shot you've got in the cylinder and s/he needs a public opinion boost for some reason. I can't remember the last time I saw a (competent) defense attorney use one.
So Woody Allen didn't have a (competent) defense attorney?

That said, Allen took his in a different time when people held much whackier faith in them than they do today. It was much more common practice back then so you can't read anything into it.
I didn't know that polygraphs were a much more common practice back then. I thought they were nearly always considered pseudoscience.
Old 3rd February 2014, 05:39 PM   #188
angrysoba
Philosophile

Actually, I agree on both problem points.
Thanks.

And just to let you know, I haven't made up my mind about what's true in this case, but I think there is a lot of strawclutching by some of the posters here who have clearly picked a side, and both sides are doing it.

Old 3rd February 2014, 05:42 PM   #189
Cool Hand Luke
Muse

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
You do realise that children and adults are both poor at recalling events? The infamous Nixon testimony proved this. In fact, some research shows this is more true of adults:
You don't have to convince me of this. Most of the adults I deal with try to misremember events on purpose.

Quote:
Not saying this specifically about this case, but because of the way you were lording it over children .
Yeah, but in my case I've got both handwritten and video evidence. The girl's dead in the water on this one.
Old 3rd February 2014, 05:43 PM   #190
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, it needn't cost as much as you think:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...al-family.html
Wow. Shouldn't this person be in an institution instead of raising children?

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2014, 05:43 PM   #191
jiggeryqua
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Positively insinuating that the girl was coached and brainwashed by her mother ≠ "skeptically demanding evidence".
Nor does "suspicion of 'creepy' people who are probably guilty of all sorts of things" equal skeptically demanding evidence, which is what I posted and you quoted. I thought I'd seen report of relatively informed opinions from connected persons contemporaneous with the initial allegations that led to repetition of claims (rather than the somewhat loaded term 'insinuations', which surely is more appropriate in its inate contemptuousness here as a synonym for 'allegations') that 'the girl' (who probably has a name and is certainly an individual person rather than a gender) was coached (I believe that was actually the word used). The notion of brainwashing, IIRC, came from one of the siblings and ought to be accorded the same weight, pro tem, as the utterings of any other sibling ('The girl', for example).
Old 3rd February 2014, 05:46 PM   #192
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Valid point about what? If Mia Farrow is a crazy bitch in every way, that's still completely irrelevant. The letter was written by an adult Dylan Farrow. Why won't anyone talk about that, and instead talk about Mia Farrow's weirdness, or Allen's relationship with some Korean woman, or whatever? Anything to change the uncomfortable subject, I suppose... I guess that's what passes as "good skepticism" these days.
Because we're talking about the possibility that she coached and/or brainwashed Dylan when she was a child. The more one reads about Mia, the more apparent it becomes that she has...ummm...."issues" of her own. So yeah, very valid points.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2014, 06:00 PM   #193
Cool Hand Luke
Muse

I didn't know that polygraphs were a much more common practice back then. I thought they were nearly always considered pseudoscience.
Are you kidding? They're still used in Single Scope Background Investigations and other US security clearance procedures. I've had to go through one myself. The woo is strong with this one.

For court use the big blow didn't come until about 2003 when the National Academy of Sciences issued a report that shot them out of the water. Up until then a lot of attorneys relied on them. Allen's attorneys were just following conventional wisdom of the day. You have to remember that very few lawyers have ANY sort of science training at all. Most just don't know better about such things.

The rage these days is the "reverse polygraph". The police tell suspects that they failed a fake polygraph in order to precipitate a confession. People still have so much misguided faith in the machines that they fall all over themselves confessing to crimes they didn't actually commit. Big problems right now down in Chicago over that. Several such cases have already been overturned that were based on false reverse-polygraph confessions. It shows just how dangerous letting somebody take one can be.

Last edited by Cool Hand Luke; 3rd February 2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 3rd February 2014, 06:12 PM   #194
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
Four of my females friends/ex-girlfriends have been raped. All four chose not to press charges. I don't understand that either, but it's not unusual from where I sit.
Assuming they know who did it to them, perhaps they have bigger plans for the rapist slimes. I do hope so.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2014, 06:28 PM   #195
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Are you kidding? [...].
No. Are you?
Old 3rd February 2014, 06:42 PM   #196
colander

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Assuming they know who did it to them, perhaps they have bigger plans for the rapist slimes. I do hope so.
A rapist reunion party at Dave and Busters?
colander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2014, 06:50 PM   #197
Cool Hand Luke
Muse

No. Are you?
Sorry John.

That was an "are you kidding (expresses common disbelief that people are still taking them seriously)" and not a "are you kidding (blatantly trying to be confrontational)".

Sorry, gotta either stop doing that or figure out which emoticon is most appropriate to distinguish between the two.

Mea culpa.
Old 3rd February 2014, 08:16 PM   #198
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Oh, I agree. I think that "Annie Hall" is one of the best American films of the 1970's, but that does not keep me from considering Woody Allen to be contemtible.

Same goes for Roman Polanski. Great Director, Despicible Human being.
You find someone who was accused and investigated but the investigation cleared, contemptible. You find someone who admitted to having sex with an under aged person, despicable.

Fair enough. Mia Farrow hates the man you find contemptible and fully supports the man you find despicable.

What do you think of someone who is serving 10 years of a 25 year sentence after pleading guilty to 39 counts of molesting children?

Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2014, 08:23 PM   #199
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

This guy put my brain into words.

In my mind, the fact that he started dating a young woman when she was around 19 and he was 56 hits pretty hard on the creepy factor. The fact that this young woman was the adopted daughter of the woman he was in a 12 year relationship with seriously ups the creepy factor. Nothing illegal, but seriously creepy.

With these FACTS about him making him suuuuuuper creepy, it's not that much of a stretch to think that he actually molested his daughter. I do tend to believe the victim in these types of situations because I have compassion for people who have been through these things because reasons.
Er, yes, yes it is. Dating a 19 (or 21) year old does not make you at all likely to be a paedophile. Unless you're going to accuse all 20 year old men of being paedophiles...
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2014, 08:44 PM   #200
Doghouse Reilly
Adrift on an uncharted sea

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Er, yes, yes it is. Dating a 19 (or 21) year old does not make you at all likely to be a paedophile. Unless you're going to accuse all 20 year old men of being paedophiles...
Yeah, that's absolutely ridiculous. There is no correlation whatsoever between a man being interested in young women (like, 19 or 21) and being a child molester. I can't even believe someone would try to imply that dating a young woman like that means it's easier to believe that Woody Allen molested his daughter.
Doghouse Reilly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events