IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th January 2018, 07:40 PM   #201
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I'm curious if he had a different sleep cycle to attend day classes. Like was he the only one sleeping at night?
I think the most likely explanation is that the reversed sleep cycles were not an all the time thing, and that it was more normal at the time the kid was taking the community college class.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2018, 08:59 PM   #202
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I'd missed this before; but the chief executive of the hospital where the adult children are being treated has confirmed the on-scene officers' impressions of their apparent ages:

Quote:
Uffer confirms the adult children look much younger than their actual ages: “That is a sobering experience for all of us, when you see a 29-year-old that looks like they are 12 or 13 or 14.”

He says their underdevelopment is more than likely a direct result of years of malnutrition.

“I have been a hospital administrator for a long time and I have been in healthcare since 1973 … I have never seen this,” Uffer says. “I can share with you that I have spent a fair amount of time with these kids … we call them kids but they are adults. It is heartbreaking to see this. It really hits home.”
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2018, 09:18 PM   #203
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2018/...6503450840.jpg

This photo was taken around 2 years ago as you can see the new baby in the mother's arms. I can't see severe malnutrition anywhere in the photo. It must have happened since this photo.

It looks like the oldest children are at the back and getting younger towards the front. The three girls at the front are obviously the youngest. Everyone is slender, or thin or skinny. The older girls have obvious breasts and are not "flat-chested". Many arms are visible and though slender don't appear bony. A lifetime of malnutrition often causes the hair to look bad, but their hair looks good if not great.

12-year-old has the weight of an average 7-year-old. This child is probably somewhere in the second row.

29-year-old daughter weighs 82 pounds. This girl (woman) is probably in the back row.
Old 20th January 2018, 09:40 PM   #204
Checkmite

You're probably right; it's becoming clear that the police, the district attorney, and now the doctors who are treating the so-called "victims" at the hospital where they have been admitted for inpatient treatment are all conspiring to push the lie that they are malnourished and underdeveloped for their ages.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2018, 09:47 PM   #205
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Underdevelopment doesn't seem to be seen in the photo. Severe malnourishment must have occurred since the photo was taken. That's what I'm saying.
Old 20th January 2018, 09:52 PM   #206
deadrose
Illuminator

I saw one photo where the faces hadn't been blurred and the malnutrition was more apparent in their facial structure.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2018, 09:55 PM   #207
Checkmite

Underdevelopment doesn't seem to be seen in the photo.
According to the hospital, they are underdeveloped. The doctors there have presumably seen more of their actual bodies than their lower arms, which are the only body parts that appear to be exposed in those photos. Also, they're doctors.
Old 20th January 2018, 10:00 PM   #208
Checkmite

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
I saw one photo where the faces hadn't been blurred and the malnutrition was more apparent in their facial structure.
Indeed, and even in the photo William Parcher just linked with the blurred faces, their necks are so sunken and desiccated-looking the girls almost appear to have Adam's apples.
Old 20th January 2018, 10:05 PM   #209
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Underdevelopment doesn't seem to be seen in the photo. Severe malnourishment must have occurred since the photo was taken. That's what I'm saying.
I agree

2007 https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna16911044
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2018, 10:36 PM   #210
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

You can't possibly form a rational assessment without knowing their ages. Are those girls in the front row 10? 13? 19? 23? You can't know what's underdevelopment without knowing what would be normal development. Why do you insist on minimizing what police, prosecutors, doctors and hospital officials have announced?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2018, 10:46 PM   #211
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
You can't possibly form a rational assessment without knowing their ages. Are those girls in the front row 10? 13? 19? 23? You can't know what's underdevelopment without knowing what would be normal development. Why do you insist on minimizing what police, prosecutors, doctors and hospital officials have announced?
For me personally the skin is too good. So is the hair. Not looking that thin.

And that severe malnurishment tends to cause bloating in the lower bodies.

Also if it was seriously enough to make them look 15 years younger it would have to be over 10 years at least. Their organs would be screwed.

No expert though

Probably wrong

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2018, 10:54 PM   #212
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

I don't believe you're qualified to make that diagnosis.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2018, 10:58 PM   #213
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
For me personally the skin is too good. So is the hair. Not looking that thin.

And that severe malnurishment tends to cause bloating in the lower bodies.
That would be African famine-level starvation. If they were getting enough food every day to keep them from dying, that still doesn't mean they weren't horribly deprived and abused.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2018, 11:35 PM   #214
KatieG
Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry

There seems to be some confusion about being malnourished and starving to death. A person can be malnourished but being given food the body can't convert it to anything useful. It's not a good idea to judge a purely physical condition from looking at a pic.

Basically, if the GOP doesn't want to be called the white supremacy party, they should stop acting like they are.
-Mumbles
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 12:27 AM   #215
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by KatieG View Post
There seems to be some confusion about being malnourished and starving to death. A person can be malnourished but being given food the body can't convert it to anything useful. It's not a good idea to judge a purely physical condition from looking at a pic.
Yeah. But they supposedly look 8-15 years younger than they are.

Which i find hard to see being just malnourished

Unless it's from day one

Old 21st January 2018, 01:01 AM   #216
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Yeah. But they supposedly look 8-15 years younger than they are.

Which i find hard to see being just malnourished

Unless it's from day one
Thanks.

And yet, there's WP saying that they look 18 years old, but joke's on him, the girl is actually 29 yrs old!!

Your vote is tabulated.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 01:05 AM   #217
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Thanks.

And yet, there's WP saying that they look 18 years old, but joke's on him, the girl is actually 29 yrs old!!

Your vote is tabulated.
Was going by the earlier quote

"Uffer confirms the adult children look much younger than their actual ages: “That is a sobering experience for all of us, when you see a 29-year-old that looks like they are 12 or 13 or 14.”"

Old 21st January 2018, 01:11 AM   #218
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Was going by the earlier quote

"Uffer confirms the adult children look much younger than their actual ages: “That is a sobering experience for all of us, when you see a 29-year-old that looks like they are 12 or 13 or 14.”"
And?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 02:08 AM   #219
Matthew Best
Philosopher

It's obviously all a fiendishly cunning plan to take your guns away.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 05:14 AM   #220
ddt
Mafia Penguin

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2018/...6503450840.jpg

This photo was taken around 2 years ago as you can see the new baby in the mother's arms. I can't see severe malnutrition anywhere in the photo. It must have happened since this photo.

It looks like the oldest children are at the back and getting younger towards the front. The three girls at the front are obviously the youngest. Everyone is slender, or thin or skinny. The older girls have obvious breasts and are not "flat-chested". Many arms are visible and though slender don't appear bony. A lifetime of malnutrition often causes the hair to look bad, but their hair looks good if not great.

12-year-old has the weight of an average 7-year-old. This child is probably somewhere in the second row.

29-year-old daughter weighs 82 pounds. This girl (woman) is probably in the back row.
Taken two years ago? That means the youngest of the rest must be 10 in that photo: there's a t0-years age gap between the toddler and the rest of the kids. That also means you should see breast development on all save perhaps the youngest two daughters.

Does that help?

(I don´t remember where I read that, sorry).
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 06:22 AM   #221
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Please edify us. How could someone at 29 years of age look 14 if their malnourishment caused underdevelopment started in the last 2 years?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 06:36 AM   #222
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Please edify us. How could someone at 29 years of age look 14 if their malnourishment caused underdevelopment started in the last 2 years?
I'm still wondering how "underdevelopment" can be observed in one photo.

"That person isn't dying of cancer, here's a photo where they look fine!"
Old 21st January 2018, 10:48 AM   #223
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

These parents were pretty good at staging photos that make everything seem normal and happy.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 11:04 AM   #224
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
These parents were pretty good at staging photos that make everything seem normal and happy.
For a given value of 'normal'...

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 11:23 AM   #225
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
For a given value of 'normal'...
Indeed. I have two teens of my own and they would kick seven shades out of me were I to attempt such a stunt. And they would be right.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 12:19 PM   #226
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The "Thing #" t shirts were cringe worthy even without the back story. That was just creepy.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 03:02 PM   #227
autumn1971
Illuminator

The "Thing #" t shirts were cringe worthy even without the back story. That was just creepy.
Those shirts are sold in gift shops at Universal Studios. It's common in and near the park to see groups of kids and adults wearing them, including the sequential numbers.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 03:32 PM   #228
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Apparently it's a Dr Seuss reference?

https://www.amazon.com/Thing-THING-T.../dp/B01D82TZQG
Old 21st January 2018, 03:39 PM   #229
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Lol

Ahhh

I thought it was a reference to "Thing" out of the Adams Family!

Old 21st January 2018, 04:06 PM   #230
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Exactly

There is a difference between growth being stunted from a certain age and someone regenerating to 15 odd years their age over two years

We don't live in an episode of Dr Who

Old 21st January 2018, 05:32 PM   #231
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

You've never read The Cat in the Hat?
Old 21st January 2018, 05:34 PM   #232
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Those shirts are sold in gift shops at Universal Studios. It's common in and near the park to see groups of kids and adults wearing them, including the sequential numbers.
Shoot, I think we even have Thing 1 and Thing 2. I've seen Thing 3 here and there, but "Thing 13" is pretty cringeworthy, yes.

ETA. At that point, they should be doing Little Cat A - M, instead. And the littlest one should have Little Cat N in her hat

Last edited by pgwenthold; 21st January 2018 at 05:36 PM.
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 06:07 PM   #233
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

It's still cringe worthy.
Old 21st January 2018, 06:22 PM   #234
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's still cringe worthy.
Everything people do, that isn't strictly how I would do it, makes me cringe. So what?
Old 21st January 2018, 07:35 PM   #235
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
You've never read The Cat in the Hat?
More than once, but it's been long ago enough that I don't remember all the details.
Old 21st January 2018, 08:42 PM   #236
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
That was my point. Hurting children crosses political denominations.
How do you figure.

I could easily see a conservative jury letting them off since they would figure they aren't doing anything they don't do to their own kids when they mouth off and bring liberal lies (like climate change existing) into their home.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 09:17 PM   #237
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
How do you figure.

I could easily see a conservative jury letting them off since they would figure they aren't doing anything they don't do to their own kids when they mouth off and bring liberal lies (like climate change existing) into their home.
Lol

Someone thinks anyone who thinks different to them is devil spawn

Old 21st January 2018, 10:32 PM   #238
This is The End

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
I'm guessing religion plays a big part in this.

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I'm guessing mental health issues are more likely.

It's not like there is a difference. Anyone who has been brainwashed into a creator cult or that believes in magical sky faeries has mental health issues.
Old 22nd January 2018, 04:11 AM   #239
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Perhaps on these occasions the parents saved any earned "discipline" for after the family got back home.
They wouldn't need to do that, just keep the bruises to covered areas and it would be all good.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2018, 04:56 AM   #240
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Who will pay for their medical bills?
The kids, child services, the adults of course are on their own.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events