IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd January 2018, 07:55 PM   #281
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I'm not feeling good about the adults being moved into an adult assisted living facility because those places frequently contain crazy people. I feel that they should be placed somewhere where there aren't any crazies. Maybe it would be even better if they were with family and had counselors visiting.
Old 23rd January 2018, 07:57 PM   #282
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Oh, and the mother's sister said that both of them were sexually molested by a close family member when they were kids. The story suggests that it wasn't the parents.
Old 23rd January 2018, 11:43 PM   #283
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Oh, and the mother's sister said that both of them were sexually molested by a close family member when they were kids. The story suggests that it wasn't the parents.
I'd just like to say thank you for your continuing updates. It is a desperately sad story, but following it here rather than trying to find internet news reports is the most convenient way to read it.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 04:20 AM   #284
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Thirteen kids is a lot. Way more than any two people can handle all by themselves. The couples who do it successfully do it in part by incorporating themselves into their community. They get help from family, Church, government, neighbors, school district and whomever.
It is all down hill after a certain point, you just assign the older kids to be in charge of the younger ones and there you go.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 05:12 AM   #285
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

The same kind of people who have more than 30 cats, with 8 or 9 dead ones in the basement freezer waiting burial that won't happen until the city interferes.

You know, you think you can handle things but the stress keeps piling up. You're barely maintaining. Then an event happens, maybe a health issue or a financial set back and the next think you know the cat you thought was just fat has a litter and you can't do anything about it because the litter is in the attic and you have to be a cat to get up there, and the kid with mental issues won't shut-up and you end up tying them down just temporarily because right now Mommy needs some bourbon and Quiet and you had better provide the quiet in you know what's good for you! And if that means you poop your pants then poop your pants, gawdammit!! We’ll deal with it when Mommy can deal with it and that might not be until tomorrow!

A few days later you find yourself doing it again, only you’re screaming at another kid saying ”if you don’t like what I’m doing to Emily then you can either keep her quiet yourself or you can join her ‘cause I’ve got plenty of rope for everyone and if I have to tie up everyone to get just a few minutes of QUIET then everybody WILL GET TIED UP DO I MAKE MYSELF UNDERSTOOD?!!!!

Months later the bondage routine has become routine, the kittens have been dealt with by catching them one at a time and clubbing them with a shovel, their tiny bodies disposed of one or two at a time. Order has been restored to a level Mom and Dad can cope with, even though they know secretly they’ve gone too far, which is why nobody can have friends anymore. Nobody but family is allowed into the house because all hell will break loose if outsiders see what is going on.

They don’t see themselves as bad people, just people forced to do things you and I won’t understand because we weren’t there facing the pressure they were facing.
This is an admirable exercise in empathy and understanding, without condoning or excusing. Thank you for adding an important viewpoint. However the condition of the older 'children' suggests that the tipping point was presumably early, while it was a significantly smaller family.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 05:30 AM   #286
ddt
Mafia Penguin

There are no charges related to the 2 year old girl. Reports say she is healthy and unharmed. The house is described as filthy and stinky. Apparently there are no charges based on that for this little girl.

If the parents have been fully consistent with their treatment of their children then they don't abuse or malnourish their children at least up until age 2. We don't know when it starts or if this girl gets better treatment than any other had gotten, or what.
I read somewhere that the mother also recently expressed the wish to have another child. That may also tie in with the theory that she lost interest in their children after a low age of 2 or thereabouts.

And when I say "the mother wanted to have another baby", there's another question. Do we really know that all kids are the mother's, except for the parents' say-so? Have they already been DNA tested? Have the kids been asked about this? The ages of the children strike me as very odd. The youngest is 2, and the other twelve range in age from 12 to 29. And the mother herself is already 49, not exactly a common age to conceive children.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen

Last edited by ddt; 24th January 2018 at 05:38 AM.
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 07:29 AM   #287
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

There are no charges related to the 2 year old girl. Reports say she is healthy and unharmed. The house is described as filthy and stinky. Apparently there are no charges based on that for this little girl.
Now I'm not sure that this is correct. It has been reported that the 2 year old girl is of appropriate weight. But I looked again at the charges...

12 counts of torture.
1 count against David Turpin of a lewd act on a child.
7 counts of abuse against a dependent adult.
6 counts of child abuse/neglect.
12 counts of false imprisonment.

There are 13 offspring with 7 being adults and 6 being children including the 2 year old. Therefore the 6 counts of child abuse/neglect must include the 2 year old. She's not included in the torture or false imprisonment charges.

So, I then I would amend my post about the treatment of the 2 yo to be something like: Fed properly but abused and neglected.
Old 24th January 2018, 07:38 AM   #288
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally the news articles said that all the children were chained giving the impression that that is what the police found upon arrival. Then later the articles said that the police found 3 chained. Most recently that is clarified to say that they found 1 chained and believe that 2 others were chained but released before they could see them. Details of that event with who released them/how/when are not mentioned. I guess that they could have been released by the mother, or sibling or themselves. Or maybe they weren't really chained at that time.
Old 24th January 2018, 09:50 AM   #289
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
This bickering is needless.
It seems to be providing the Daily Mail a few hits, so it's upping the level of evil in the world just a tiny little bit.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 10:26 AM   #290
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
I read somewhere that the mother also recently expressed the wish to have another child. That may also tie in with the theory that she lost interest in their children after a low age of 2 or thereabouts.
Yeah, she told her brother that she wanted another kid. Also told him that they wanted to be in a reality TV show featuring their big family.

Originally Posted by Desert Sun
The family’s reality TV aspirations were revealed this week by Louise Turpin’s brother, Billy Lambert, who gave interviews to Inside Edition and The Mirror, a United Kingdom tabloid. In those interviews, Lambert said his sister was obsessed with “Kate Plus 8,” a reality show about a couple with eight children, and dreamed of having a similar show about her family...
https://www.desertsun.com/story/news...how/1055944001

Quote:
And when I say "the mother wanted to have another baby", there's another question. Do we really know that all kids are the mother's, except for the parents' say-so? Have they already been DNA tested? Have the kids been asked about this?
Various tabloids are saying that the children are being DNA and paternity tested. Investigators are not commenting when asked about that. No clue if the kids have been asked.

Oh, and some tabloids are also saying that investigators are taking cadaver dogs through the various homes and properties seeking to find any possible human bodies.

Last edited by William Parcher; 24th January 2018 at 10:27 AM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 10:41 AM   #291
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by CBS News
A source close to the investigation told CBS News' David Begnaud last week that the siblings specifically asked social workers if they could stay together after being freed.
The State of California should be arrested for child and victim abuse. They wanted to stay together, but no. First the parents abuse them and now the State does it.

"We want to stay together because we are a family and we love each other and we went through so many bad things. And we want to be with our puppy dogs too. But you guys won't grant those wishes and we are wondering when anything we would like will be provided to us by anyone. We don't want to start thinking that we were better off back at home because we had each other and our puppies and now we are crying again. What kind of a rescue is this?"

Damn the State policies all the way to hell! Isn't there anyone in that government with an ounce of brains or real and practical compassion?
Old 24th January 2018, 11:21 AM   #292
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

It's really a shame that their relatives aren't able to help.

Now this part is just going to be me getting up on my judgey-horse. So pardon me a moment. But I have to say, if something like this were discovered about members of my family, and I found myself unable to directly help by taking anyone in, I'd definitely also go mum on talk show appearances and the like. I'd talk to police, but I'd tell the media to **** right off. I guess it's just a personal thing, but there's something very intrinsically distasteful about going on TV and banging on about how shocked and appalled you are when the kids are all being split up and going to homes, traumatized and bewildered. I totally understand that most people aren't in a spacial, financial, or emotional position to take on something like this. But they're also not required to participate in the media circus.

I don't know why, it rubs me the wrong way. It's quite possible I'm just a dick, though.

Last edited by Butter!; 24th January 2018 at 11:27 AM.
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 12:04 PM   #293
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
They are announcing offerings of whatever help they can give. However, the State can stand in the way. It is a sudden dilemma when there are 13 kids.

The world is asking how could people around them let this happen?

I think that the relatives are cooperating with TV and reporters partly to try to answer that as a way of protecting themselves. One of the mother's sisters actually once lived with the family. She says that she saw no abuse or food deprivation or any of the things reported. She did see skinny kids but hey the father is skinny and they take after him. She makes no mention of seeing chains or strangulation or beating or sleeping all day or no showering or anything. She said the father was strict but that's it. Oh, and he would sometimes watch her in the shower and laugh.

Other family members are the same. Nothing seemed to warrant personal intervention or calling the police. Maybe they did see horror and are lying now to cover their own asses.

I think it's likely that all of these people will be subpoenaed as witnesses. There could be benefit for the prosecution and/or the defense. What's important though is that facts are established to be used as evidence to arrive at verdicts.
Old 24th January 2018, 12:40 PM   #294
ddt
Mafia Penguin

The State of California should be arrested for child and victim abuse. They wanted to stay together, but no. First the parents abuse them and now the State does it.

"We want to stay together because we are a family and we love each other and we went through so many bad things. And we want to be with our puppy dogs too. But you guys won't grant those wishes and we are wondering when anything we would like will be provided to us by anyone. We don't want to start thinking that we were better off back at home because we had each other and our puppies and now we are crying again. What kind of a rescue is this?"

Damn the State policies all the way to hell! Isn't there anyone in that government with an ounce of brains or real and practical compassion?
Really, Parcher? Where in hell is CPS going to find a foster home that accepts to take SIX children, much less one they think that could handle six children? They should be lucky they're only split up in two groups, and I hope for them they're to each other, but really, they should count their blessings.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 12:41 PM   #295
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Thirteen kids is a lot. Way more than any two people can handle all by themselves. The couples who do it successfully do it in part by incorporating themselves into their community. They get help from family, Church, government, neighbors, school district and whomever.

These people isolated themselves. They didn't belong to a church, they held their extended family at arm's length, they hid from their neighbors and they minimized their contact with government.

This situation is not, unfortunately, all that uncommon with a certain breed of religious fanatic as well; although this situation is a bit more extreme in some respects than most, it's far from unique.

These people don't appear to have been terribly religious, but there are many instances of the extreme end of movements like religious home-schooling and "quiverfull", that result in similar situations. Children are often sequestered from the outside world to "protect" them from evil influences; and are habitually abused physically and emotionally, as those groups are also big on "instant obedience" and more severe forms of corporal punishment. Children are also taught to fear police and other government officials as "agents of the devil" who will kill or enslave them.

In the mainstream, we like to look at cases like these as isolated anomalies, rare phenomena that are the product of some sort of mental illness, but they're far more common than most people realize. Common enough that many of these movements have entire churches and organizations that they belong time, which have their own lawyers to help stymie government efforts to investigate and remedy cases of abuse.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 12:41 PM   #296
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

They are announcing offerings of whatever help they can give. However, the State can stand in the way. It is a sudden dilemma when there are 13 kids.

The world is asking how could people around them let this happen?

I think that the relatives are cooperating with TV and reporters partly to try to answer that as a way of protecting themselves. One of the mother's sisters actually once lived with the family. She says that she saw no abuse or food deprivation or any of the things reported. She did see skinny kids but hey the father is skinny and they take after him. She makes no mention of seeing chains or strangulation or beating or sleeping all day or no showering or anything. She said the father was strict but that's it. Oh, and he would sometimes watch her in the shower and laugh.

Other family members are the same. Nothing seemed to warrant personal intervention or calling the police. Maybe they did see horror and are lying now to cover their own asses.

I think it's likely that all of these people will be subpoenaed as witnesses. There could be benefit for the prosecution and/or the defense. What's important though is that facts are established to be used as evidence to arrive at verdicts.
If I were going to take a page out of your sleuthing book (), I would say I lean toward suspecting the highlighted. Now I'm sure the Turpins weren't in full whips-and-chains mode when the sister was around. But she must have suspected more than she is letting on. If not during her time living with them, then later when she wasn't allowed to see or talk to the kids for years and years. But I also fully understand the compulsion to "stay out" of people's personal affairs. Most people have their own problems and don't want to get heavily involved in probing other people's unless there is absolute, incontrovertible evidence of a problem right in their face. (Sometimes, not even then.)

Have you ever been in a situation where an acquaintance dies and suddenly everyone who ever knew them in the slightest is coming out of the woodwork and waxing rhapsodic about what great friends they were and how devastating this is? There is a sort of reverse of this effect that occurs when an acquaintance (of any degree) is discovered to have done something awful. Everyone seeks to distance themselves.
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 12:50 PM   #297
luchog

You seem to have a rather poor understanding of the realities of the foster care system in this country.

The intent is always to keep families together whenever possible, and most states, including CA, will try to place children with relatives rather than foster care, and will try to keep siblings together as much as possible. But that's not always a good idea or possible. Sometimes, the relatives are not seen as sufficiently reliable, and there have been numerous cases where children removed from an abusive home and placed with relatives have ended up right back in the abusive home, within a few days or less.

Further, there are very, very few foster homes that are capable of accepting that many children at one time. Typically, a home will only have room for one, or at most two, children to be placed with them. Trying to find a home for more than that is an uphill battle at best.

On top of that, homes where there has been abuse, particularly sexual abuse, there is concern about perpetuation of the cycle of abuse. Older siblings often take over abusing younger siblings when given the opportunity, either because they were abused themselves, and so are acting out learned behaviour, or because they were explicitly trained to abuse younger siblings by their parents. In many larger families, older children are made responsible for their younger siblings by their parents; and parents who use abusive forms of "discipline" teach their children to do the same. In cases where that is evident or sufficiently suspected, children are separated to prevent further abuses.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.

Last edited by luchog; 24th January 2018 at 12:52 PM.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 01:05 PM   #298
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

California should build a house or buy a house big enough for all of these kids and their two dogs. Then staff it with caregivers. Then invite family to come visit whenever they want.

Instead of placing them in existing foster homes create one for them. It's uncommon to have to snatch 13 kids all at once. So do a custom job for this batch.

Does it require a GoFundMe aimed at $5 million? There are reports that the neighbors are selling lemonade for the cause. Old fashioned lemonade!
Old 24th January 2018, 01:27 PM   #299
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

More details emerge about couple and 13 children allegedly held captive for years

Originally Posted by CBS News
Prosecutors are moving to legally separate David and Louise Turpin from the 13 children they allegedly held captive...

Some 20 people have offered to take guardianship of the Turpin children...

After last week's initial appearance before a judge, David and Louise Turpin are expected back in court Wednesday to face a restraining order...

With the children's expected release from the hospital this week, a source tells CBS News officials want to make sure they do not visit their parents in jail, fearing any conversations could taint the on-going investigation...

Louise Turpin's brother told "Inside Edition" that dressing the siblings alike was done partly to position the family as future reality TV stars...

Another relative, David's brother, Randy Turpin, is the president of a Christian college in Ohio. He wrote a book about the spiritual benefits of fasting. A source close to the investigation told CBS News Randy told authorities in California on Tuesday that he wanted to explore the possibility of adopting the children. But before those discussions can happen, officials want to talk to him about another matter: whether he knew about the past abuse...

Officials insist their top priority for the children, whose names we've learned all start with the letter "J," is their ongoing well-being...

...starting Thursday, the six minor children will be split up to live in two foster homes...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/califor...er-13-children
Old 24th January 2018, 01:33 PM   #300
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Attorney: Trial for parents accused of torturing 13 children may need new venue

Originally Posted by USA Today
An attorney for the father in the case of the 13 tortured children has raised the possibility of moving the parents' trial because press coverage has made it too difficult to find an impartial jury for the torture suspects.

In a court motion filed in advance of a Wednesday court hearing, Deputy Public Defender David Macher said he was concerned that "extraordinary" press coverage of the Turpin case may taint the jury pool in Riverside County, Calif., against the parents.

“The frequent appearance of photographs or video images of the Turpins in the media may taint potential jurors, prejudice them against the Turpins and make it necessary to explore a possible motion for a change of venue,” Macher wrote in a court motion...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ing/1062005001
Old 24th January 2018, 01:49 PM   #301
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

California should build a house or buy a house big enough for all of these kids and their two dogs. Then staff it with caregivers. Then invite family to come visit whenever they want.

Instead of placing them in existing foster homes create one for them. It's uncommon to have to snatch 13 kids all at once. So do a custom job for this batch.

Does it require a GoFundMe aimed at $5 million? There are reports that the neighbors are selling lemonade for the cause. Old fashioned lemonade!
Sounds great, but why stop there?

Why not build them their own man made island

Away from the public eye and media

You could have a zoo on it with animals to entertain the younger sisters and brothers and every month they could have a globally broadcast benefit music festival similar to LiveAid, with all proceeds going to the children

2007 https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna16911044
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 01:58 PM   #302
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Neighbors and others caught glimpses of the Turpin siblings. Now they're struggling to process what they missed

Originally Posted by Los Angeles Times
Two years ago, the neighborhood watch of the Perris community where David and Louise Turpin lived with their 13 children held a Christmas decorating contest, offering $50 and $25 gift cards to the winners.

Some of the Turpin siblings joined in, placing a Nativity scene in their frontyard, with hay for the manger and a Nativity star in a window. Santa Claus sat in his sleigh near the garage.

When the winners were announced at a community gathering, the parents and five of their children were there.

Louise Turpin spent the evening chatting with a neighbor about her children, about the family's roots in West Virginia and Texas, and about their love of Las Vegas, said Salynn Simon, who lives across the street from the family's home...

...The alleged abuse started decades ago and grew worse in recent years.

But as their visit to the neighborhood watch meeting shows, the Turpin children were never completely hidden from the outside world...

And when a neighbor saw the children in their Murrieta home, before the family moved to Perris, marching at night in circles past two front windows, he did not have to make a special effort to see what was happening, he said. The blinds were open, and the lights were on...

Any red flags were lowered because his wife often made small talk with two of the Turpins' daughters on their way to the mailbox, he said...

As the story of the Turpins and their children has drawn international attention, numerous people with ties to the family have also come forward to offer details about their interactions with the Turpins over the years...

More interaction accounts in the article.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...124-story.html
Old 24th January 2018, 02:01 PM   #303
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

More details emerge about couple and 13 children allegedly held captive for years

Dear lord, I hope they vet that uncle pretty seriously before even thinking of allowing him guardianship. "Fasting" seems to have been a pretty big matzah ball in these kids' lives.

They need to be with the most normal people possible now. Who exactly that might be, I have no *********** idea. But I'd be pretty leery of a family member with more potentially weird spiritual beliefs.

I'm all about practicing self-denial. It makes me feel swell when I abstain from little vices, treats, or things I like in the interest of keeping myself simple, strong, and always happy to delay gratification. But I've just never seen the point when it comes to basic food and water. (Dieting is a different thing.) Why do so many religious sects seem to think starving oneself is a spiritual benefit? God gave you a body, and you need to nourish it in order to keep it in good shape. Aren't you kind of taking a dump on god's gift if you don't feed it properly?
Old 24th January 2018, 02:17 PM   #304
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

At least one of them attended regular school back when they lived in Texas...

Turpin daughter was bullied for being the 'cootie kid.' Now one classmate feels overwhelming guilt

Originally Posted by Desert Sun
Taha Muntajibuddin remembers a third-grade classmate in Forth Worth, Texas whose appearance drew relentless mockery and bullying from her fellow students, who nicknamed her "cootie kid."

The girl, one of the oldest siblings in the large Turpin family, wore the same filthy purple dress everyday and had her hair tied back with a discarded foil wrapper from an old Hershey's bar, Mutajibuddin recalled. No one wanted to be near her because she smelled like mud and worse.

Last week, Mutajibuddin, who went to school with the girl years ago, wrote in a wrenching Facebook post that he got a "rude awakening" when he read the news accounts of the familial horror created by the girl's parents, David and Louise Turpin...

Muntajibuddin, a physician completing a residency in pediatric medicine in Houston, said he felt an "overwhelming sense of guilt and shame" about his former classmate, whom he remembers being tossed about "like a rag doll" by school bullies...

He said the girl was often made fun of constantly "because her clothes would sometimes look as though they had been dragged through mud, which she would also smell like on most days. I distinctly remember my entire third grade class scoffing at her one day because our teacher had asked her to discard a scrunchy she had used to tie her hair out of a discarded tin foil wrapper from an old Hershey's bar."

After that year, Muntajibuddin said, the girl moved away and "she was forgotten about after we moved on to the the next 'cootie kid.'"...

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news...ilt/1061590001
Old 24th January 2018, 02:28 PM   #305
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

So the mother was allowing a full display of filth and stench as her daughter went to school every day in the same dress. She didn't care when people saw and smelled the neglect.
Old 24th January 2018, 02:36 PM   #306
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

This is what I was trying to say, but I was afraid someone would think I was knocking community college if I weren't careful with my wording. I'm not knocking community college at all - I'm simply saying that entry-level classes at community colleges are often demonstrably less difficult than at university (generally speaking, always exceptions, yada yada disclaimers, **** you skeptics, etc.). The reason for the difference is largely due to some high schools having more advanced curricula than others. At community college, at least the first semester or two are spent evening out that gap amongst the students.
Well put. I too was afraid of offending.

The community college system in this country is important for giving people who are willing to put in the work a path to a better life, but early success should in no way be considered some validation of prior education.

- - Waves community college 4.0 around like a flag - -

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 02:46 PM   #307
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

He may have had some public schooling as well. There are inconsistencies in the reports. We are told that they were home schooled. Now we learn that it wasn't always that.

What's happening is that we are learning that the picture painted in our minds by the articles isn't really the full story.
Old 24th January 2018, 02:46 PM   #308
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
This is an admirable exercise in empathy and understanding, without condoning or excusing. Thank you for adding an important viewpoint.
Agreed.

I don't know why, it rubs me the wrong way. It's quite possible I'm just a dick, though.
Yeah, me too.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 02:58 PM   #309
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

He may have had some public schooling as well. There are inconsistencies in the reports. We are told that they were home schooled. Now we learn that it wasn't always that.

What's happening is that we are learning that the picture painted in our minds by the articles isn't really the full story.
Not really; you might have missed it, but even the earliest "big picture" articles noted that the children went to regular schools at first and the Turpins began home-schooling them later on. And the recent articles make it clear that the "classmates" witnesses have memories of are the now-adult children, not any of the younger ones.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 03:02 PM   #310
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

A sister wonders if booze and gambling wrecked the mother.

Quote:
Now her sister Teresa Robinette worries her sibling’s seemingly perfect life all went wrong when she decided to “cut loose” in a mid-life crisis as she started drinking and gambling.

Then one day, just as she was turning 40 she called and told me that she and David were going to have a drink. When I spoke with her later that night she was drunk for the first time in her life. I was in shock.

The divorced mother says she’s worried the horrific abuse inflicted on their children could all be caused by the couple’s late experimentation, as they tried new things they had never experienced as teens...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...id-life-crisis
Old 24th January 2018, 03:08 PM   #311
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Not really; you might have missed it, but even the earliest "big picture" articles noted that the children went to regular schools at first and the Turpins began home-schooling them later on.
I never saw it but then there are hundreds of articles. All I ever read was that they were home schooled and then later boom an article about one attending college.

I'd like to see a link for what I missed.
Old 24th January 2018, 03:17 PM   #312
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

A sister wonders if booze and gambling wrecked the mother.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...id-life-crisis
Caused by? Puh-leeeeeze.

And school shootings are caused by violent video games.

The whole family sounds nutty, I'm sorry. These kids need a clean break. I wish I currently had something to donate toward them. This story hits me in such a weird, sickening way.
Old 24th January 2018, 03:31 PM   #313
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The whole family sounds nutty, I'm sorry.
I think so too. The parent's parents might be included. Is mental illness a genetic thing that can be passed down through generations? If so, then maybe all of these children got a double-dose of it when the sperm met the egg.
Old 24th January 2018, 03:39 PM   #314
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

. Is mental illness a genetic thing that can be passed down through generations?
Yes it is, or at least a tendency toward it is.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 03:41 PM   #315
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Totally off topic, but how do people that are home schooled get a job with no official certification?

Do they just rock up to the school a couple of times a year and do official exams?

2007 https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna16911044
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 04:15 PM   #316
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Now this part is just going to be me getting up on my judgey-horse. So pardon me a moment. But I have to say, if something like this were discovered about members of my family, and I found myself unable to directly help by taking anyone in, I'd definitely also go mum on talk show appearances and the like. I'd talk to police, but I'd tell the media to **** right off. I guess it's just a personal thing, but there's something very intrinsically distasteful about going on TV and banging on about how shocked and appalled you are when the kids are all being split up and going to homes, traumatized and bewildered. I totally understand that most people aren't in a spacial, financial, or emotional position to take on something like this. But they're also not required to participate in the media circus.

When my little brother was arrested for allegedly planning a Columbine 2.0 my family expected a media circus and we had to have a talk about "do we go out and spout how innocent he is or do we just shut up and let our lawyers do their thing in court?"

We decided to say as little as possible because we didn't want our own need to tell the world it was all a miscarriage of justice get in the way of actually getting him out of special protective confinement at the Juvenile Hall up in Auburn (basically SuperMax for kids, 23 hours a day in a 5x8 room, he was in there for 54 days until a Judge threw out the case).

Probably a bit off topic but your digression there certainly brought all those bad memories back. No wonder my brother ********** off to live in Vietnam when he could.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 04:15 PM   #317
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Louise Turpin's brother told "Inside Edition" that dressing the siblings alike was done partly to position the family as future reality TV stars...
<snipped>

This underlines my tenuous theory the parents are a couple of narcissists; with a severe personality disorder that makes them refuse to accept their children are individuals in their own right, breach their personal boundaries and exercise extreme control, in order to make the children little more than simulacra of the parents themselves.

It also shows a poor grip on reality if their dream was to make their family 'tv reality stars'.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!

Last edited by Vixen; 24th January 2018 at 04:17 PM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 05:34 PM   #318
luchog

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Totally off topic, but how do people that are home schooled get a job with no official certification?

Do they just rock up to the school a couple of times a year and do official exams?

A someone who was homeschooled, the short answer is "it depends".

There are programs in many states for testing homeschooled children, and some require that homeschoolers and their curricula be certified by the state. However, other states have no such requirement for testing or certification, and particularly with some of the more religious types, the homeschooled children are woefully unprepared for life in the real world.

And right now, our Cheeto-in-Chief-appointed secretary of education is trying to remove any and all testing and certification requirements for homeschooling and religious charter schools (which are nearly the same thing).

It really depends on why the parents are homeschooling. Some do so because they have special needs kids who don't do well in classroom environments. Some because they want to give their children a better education than what's available in their local public schools. Far more do so because they're religious nutcases who don't like the idea of children being taught evil liberal science and starting to question the validity of their religion. A small number of those do so because, along with keeping their children away from evil non-religious influences, it also keeps their children out of view of anyone mandated to report child abuse to the proper authorities.
Old 24th January 2018, 08:05 PM   #319
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Just for future reference, this is almost always true of every news story.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 09:32 PM   #320
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Just for future reference, this is almost always true of every news story.
In a phrase often attributed to Washington Post publisher Philip Graham but that actually goes back much further, journalism has long been called "the first rough draft of history." There is always more to learn. That doesn't mean we shouldn't hear the first reports.
http://www.readex.com/blog/newspaper...-draft-history
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events