IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 24th January 2018, 10:50 PM   #321
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing
 
Puppycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 26,326
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Eldest Son Maintained 3.93 GPA at Local Community College




Doesn't know what a police officer is.

http://abc7.com/perris-torture-case-...93-gpa/2978384
You know, maybe maybe not all the children were treated exactly the same way. Not everything that's been reported necessarily was true for all 13 of them.
__________________
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2018, 11:31 PM   #322
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing
 
Puppycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 26,326
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
That is what our society demands. I am sure they can end up in prison for something at some time, that is the prefered method of dealing with troubled adults after all.

Turning the children out onto the street is the standard for kids in CPS custody when they turn 18 after all. These are all basic standard procedures why should these people get treated any different because their case made the news?
http://www.ruhealth.org/en-us/founda...pportFund.aspx
__________________
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2018, 02:56 AM   #323
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NZ
Posts: 21,036
Originally Posted by luchog View Post
A someone who was homeschooled, the short answer is "it depends".

There are programs in many states for testing homeschooled children, and some require that homeschoolers and their curricula be certified by the state. However, other states have no such requirement for testing or certification, and particularly with some of the more religious types, the homeschooled children are woefully unprepared for life in the real world.

And right now, our Cheeto-in-Chief-appointed secretary of education is trying to remove any and all testing and certification requirements for homeschooling and religious charter schools (which are nearly the same thing).

It really depends on why the parents are homeschooling. Some do so because they have special needs kids who don't do well in classroom environments. Some because they want to give their children a better education than what's available in their local public schools. Far more do so because they're religious nutcases who don't like the idea of children being taught evil liberal science and starting to question the validity of their religion. A small number of those do so because, along with keeping their children away from evil non-religious influences, it also keeps their children out of view of anyone mandated to report child abuse to the proper authorities.
Cheers

Get the special needs. I would probably do the same (obviously depending on the needs)

I was also just assuming rural kids with no school within a totally annoying area to get to like here.

The rest is just a bit nutbar to me

But then each to their own and that
__________________
"I mean, you've got the first sort of mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a story-book, man," Biden said.

2007 https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna16911044
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2018, 06:38 AM   #324
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I live in a swamp
Posts: 24,408
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Eldest Son Maintained 3.93 GPA at Local Community College




Doesn't know what a police officer is.

http://abc7.com/perris-torture-case-...93-gpa/2978384
The Sheriff did not say that it was that particular kid who didn't know what a police officer was. He said some of the children. For all we know, the kid in community college coached the girl who got out and called 911.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2018, 09:12 AM   #325
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25,936
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
The Sheriff did not say that it was that particular kid who didn't know what a police officer was. He said some of the children.
It was the District Attorney and he said many of the children did not know what a police officer is. We don't know how many is many. We also don't know if the 2 year old is included in that number.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2018, 09:24 AM   #326
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 32,947
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
It was the District Attorney and he said many of the children did not know what a police officer is. We don't know how many is many.
But we do know that he didn't say "None of the children know what a police officer is." Nothing he says contradicts the claim, therefore, that a subset of them did know what a police officer is.

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
We also don't know if the 2 year old is included in that number.
But, more importantly, we don't know if the eldest son is included in that number, and therefore have no reason to assume that he necessarily was.

Dave
__________________
There is truth and there are lies.

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2018, 10:26 AM   #327
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25,936
The Turpin Children Imprisoned by Their Parents for Years Are Starting to Tell Their Story

Originally Posted by Time
The California children who authorities say were tortured by their parents and so malnourished that their growth was stunted are slowly providing valuable information to investigators, a prosecutor told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

“Victims in these kinds of cases, they tell their story, but they tell it slowly. They tell it at their own pace,” Riverside County District Attorney Mike Hestrin said. “It will come out when it comes out.”...

Investigators have learned that the children were isolated from each other and locked in different rooms in small groups, Hestrin said.

The children did not have access to televisions or radios but were able to read and write and expressed themselves in hundreds of journals that were seized from the home, the district attorney said.

“It appears to me that they lacked any kind of understanding about how the world worked,” Hestrin said.

One of the older boys had taken a variety of classes at Mt. San Jacinto College, a community college, but his mother took him to the campus and waited outside class for him, Hestrin said...

http://time.com/5117580/turpin-child...-investigation
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2018, 07:22 AM   #328
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25,936
Eldest 'House of Horrors' sibling excelled at his community college in subjects such as algebra, guitar and public speaking and was twice named an honor roll student

Originally Posted by DailyMail
The eldest son of the house of horrors siblings excelled at his community college and had been named to the honor roll for two semesters, school officials said Thursday.

Now in his 20s, he attended Mt. San Jacinto College for several years. His mother would bring him to school and wait outside his classes for him, prosecutors said.

He did not earn a degree but was on the president's honor roll in fall 2015 and spring 2016, said college spokeswoman Karin Marriott.

A transcript obtained by ABC News showed he attended classes from 2014 until at least 2016 and sometimes earned 15 credits per semester.

He earned As in many classes, including algebra, guitar, public speaking, English fundamentals and freshman composition.

Joe Chermak, who attended a musical performance at the school in May 2016, said he remembered seeing the Turpin family in the audience. The small group of family members took up almost half a row of seats and they were all wearing matching outfits - blue shirts and tan pants, he said.

At first, Chermak said he thought it was a group of kids from another school who came to watch the guitar ensemble with a mix of classical, jazz and musical theater, but then he looked more closely and realized they all seemed very skinny...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-college.html
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2018, 10:52 AM   #329
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges
 
Butter!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Deep Storage
Posts: 7,636
Well, how about that! I was wrong as hell.

This story just keeps getting stranger...
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2018, 12:24 PM   #330
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,243
I like how articles revealing that this or that child was seen at school or even did well academically are being treated like some kind of AHA THE OFFICIAL STORY UNRAVELS moments, while the classmates quoted in the same articles verifying that they were also starving, visibly unhealthy, and exhibiting non-existent hygiene are just kind of blipped over.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2018, 04:50 PM   #331
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges
 
Butter!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Deep Storage
Posts: 7,636
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I like how articles revealing that this or that child was seen at school or even did well academically are being treated like some kind of AHA THE OFFICIAL STORY UNRAVELS moments, while the classmates quoted in the same articles verifying that they were also starving, visibly unhealthy, and exhibiting non-existent hygiene are just kind of blipped over.
I don't know if that's what Parcher is doing, but I only meant I was wrong about the kid taking one class at a time. (It said he took 15 credits some semester or another.) I like to admit when I'm wrong, even though I gotta say, I don't understand why these details really matter either. We are still dealing with sick abusers, period. The only reason the case gets stranger is because with each new revelation, the disgusting parents' "motivations" become even more convoluted and inexplicable.

There are apparently conspiratards on Reddit insisting the story is "fake news" because "THEY" want to tarnish the reputation of Christianity and homeschooling. I guess they didn't get the update that the Turpin family barely even had anything to do with Christianity.
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2018, 05:19 PM   #332
ddt
Mafia Penguin
 
ddt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 19,579
Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
I don't know if that's what Parcher is doing, but I only meant I was wrong about the kid taking one class at a time. (It said he took 15 credits some semester or another.) I like to admit when I'm wrong,
FWIW, I also was under the impression he only took one class at a time, so you were not alone in that. And I'm totally with you with the latter.

And for getting a proper impression of that number of 15 credits - how does that compare to the typical load of a full-time student? I looked at the wiki page but it didn't quite say that.
__________________
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2018, 09:45 PM   #333
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster
 
Pterodactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,252
Originally Posted by ddt View Post
FWIW, I also was under the impression he only took one class at a time, so you were not alone in that. And I'm totally with you with the latter.

And for getting a proper impression of that number of 15 credits - how does that compare to the typical load of a full-time student? I looked at the wiki page but it didn't quite say that.
12-15 hours is a typical full load.

So yea, the one kid isn't exactly Nell.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2018, 09:48 PM   #334
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist
 
luchog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 16,201
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
12-15 hours is a typical full load.
Typically, 15 credits is considered a full load, 12 a light load, and 18-20 a heavy load.
__________________
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2018, 11:44 PM   #335
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NZ
Posts: 21,036
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post

So yea, the one kid isn't exactly Nell.
Lol
__________________
"I mean, you've got the first sort of mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a story-book, man," Biden said.

2007 https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna16911044
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2018, 01:23 AM   #336
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,243
Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
There are apparently conspiratards on Reddit insisting the story is "fake news" because "THEY" want to tarnish the reputation of Christianity and homeschooling. I guess they didn't get the update that the Turpin family barely even had anything to do with Christianity.
I think this is mostly owing to a National Review article on the case - their only article on the whole case I believe - that is devoted exclusively to complaining that "libs" will be using it to attack godly 'Merrikin homeschooling. In fact, there have indeed been some mainstream news outlets who have quoted some officials expressing concern that hands-off, little-to-no oversight approaches by state and local governments to homeschooling make it easy for families like the Turpins to do what they do, and I think that is undeniably correct.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2018, 07:19 AM   #337
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,694
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
California should build a house or buy a house big enough for all of these kids and their two dogs. Then staff it with caregivers. Then invite family to come visit whenever they want.

Instead of placing them in existing foster homes create one for them. It's uncommon to have to snatch 13 kids all at once. So do a custom job for this batch.

Does it require a GoFundMe aimed at $5 million? There are reports that the neighbors are selling lemonade for the cause. Old fashioned lemonade!
Just this one time, till the next time.

Imagine being a kid looking for foster care your entire life, probably going through some similar hardships and seeing that. " sorry joint but those kids hit on the news so now people care and they get a house. "

There is about a hundred other reasons is a bad idea but I don't have all day.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2018, 08:55 AM   #338
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed
 
Mycroft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 19,822
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I like how articles revealing that this or that child was seen at school or even did well academically are being treated like some kind of AHA THE OFFICIAL STORY UNRAVELS moments, while the classmates quoted in the same articles verifying that they were also starving, visibly unhealthy, and exhibiting non-existent hygiene are just kind of blipped over.
You're reading something into it that isn't there.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2018, 10:24 PM   #339
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,121
I tend to be anti-homeschooling principally because it is a way for right wingers to keep their kids from learning facts and therefore live a life of nonstop right wing propaganda.
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com
Zingiber Officinale

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 10:46 AM   #340
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25,936
Collection of uncensored family photos. None of the faces are blurred...


https://s2.yimg.com/lo/api/res/1.2/A...0ba3a1bed1660e

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UV6ioyo6o...n%2Bfamily.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HX5SSYOzO...25281%2529.jpg

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WVoof3Wec...-children-.jpg

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-513lw_POv...n%2BDisney.jpg

https://scallywagandvagabond.com/wp-...-children2.jpg

https://scallywagandvagabond.com/wp-...-children1.jpg
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 11:47 AM   #341
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges
 
Butter!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Deep Storage
Posts: 7,636
Holy cow! They all look REALLY young in those photos.

In the picture that has some of their ages labeled, there was only 1 (the 21-year-old) who looked even slightly believable as her real age. Her older sister (labeled as 23-25 in the same photo) looks like an eighth-grader. I wouldn't sell her a beer for a million-dollar tip - I wouldn't care what her ID said. That's truly incredible. The boys look even younger still.

The mother has some serious demon-crazy eyes going on. I don't know if they're sunken from poor nutrition too, or what, but they're scary.


ETA - My mistake: the girl I thought was 23-25 is actually labeled 25-27. Even worse!

Last edited by Butter!; 30th January 2018 at 12:07 PM.
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 11:49 AM   #342
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 20,898
Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
Holy cow! They all look REALLY young in those photos.

In the picture that has some of their ages labeled, there was only 1 (the 21-year-old) who looked even slightly believable as her real age. Her older sister (labeled as 23-25 in the same photo) looks like an eighth-grader. I wouldn't sell her a beer for a million-dollar tip - I wouldn't care what her ID said. That's truly incredible. The boys look even younger still.

The mother has some serious demon-crazy eyes going on. I don't know if they're sunken from poor nutrition too, or what, but they're scary.

Their arms look much too thin. At least, to me, an entirely untrained layman.
__________________
Up the River!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 12:00 PM   #343
deadrose
Illuminator
 
deadrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: the wet side of the mountains
Posts: 3,729
The tallest female, the 29 year old, her face looks practically skeletal.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 02:02 PM   #344
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,243
Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
Holy cow! They all look REALLY young in those photos.

In the picture that has some of their ages labeled, there was only 1 (the 21-year-old) who looked even slightly believable as her real age. Her older sister (labeled as 23-25 in the same photo) looks like an eighth-grader. I wouldn't sell her a beer for a million-dollar tip - I wouldn't care what her ID said. That's truly incredible. The boys look even younger still.
These photos really destroy the whole "genetics" defense for the children's stunted size and emaciated aspect. Several of the adult girls are the same height as the mother; but she very clearly has an adult-looking face and they very definitely do not.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 09:21 PM   #345
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25,936
After looking at all the photos including blurred ones, it appears to me that the three oldest girls are taller than their mother. All three boys are taller than her. I presume that the younger ones are still growing taller.

But the most recent photo is about 2 years old - so some would be taller now.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.

Last edited by William Parcher; 30th January 2018 at 09:24 PM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 09:38 PM   #346
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,243
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
But the most recent photo is about 2 years old - so some would be taller now.
Ummm...no. They wouldn't be.

Your brain while looking at the photographs concludes they're going to grow more because they look like still-developing adolescents. But they're not adolescents. They're fully-grown adults in their 20s - even mid-to-late 20s. They're done growing.

The younger children - the ones who really are adolescents even though they look 8 or so - should certainly recover and regain at least some of the lost development now that they're eating like normal human beings, because they are indeed still growing. The adults? They may recover a few inches, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did not even now. Mostly I would expect them to gain weight and healthy muscle tone for their size now, and that's it.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 11:25 PM   #347
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 12,131
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
These photos really destroy the whole "genetics" defense for the children's stunted size and emaciated aspect. Several of the adult girls are the same height as the mother; but she very clearly has an adult-looking face and they very definitely do not.
Which photos? My twins are taller than their mother, but don't have adult looking faces. Do you know what the heck you are talking about?
__________________
"Sufficiently advanced malice is indistinguishable from incompetence. = godless Dave

Last edited by John Jones; 30th January 2018 at 11:27 PM.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 11:29 PM   #348
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing
 
Puppycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 26,326
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Which photos? My twins are taller than their mother, but don't have adult looking faces. Do you know what the heck you are talking about?
How old are they? Old enough that they ought to have adult looking faces?
__________________
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2018, 11:40 PM   #349
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 12,131
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
The younger children - the ones who really are adolescents even though they look 8 or so - should certainly recover and regain at least some of the lost development now that they're eating like normal human beings, because they are indeed still growing. The adults? They may recover a few inches, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did not even now. Mostly I would expect them to gain weight and healthy muscle tone for their size now, and that's it.
NB: I'm recording your claims about recovery from childhood abuse, but I'm not accepting it. I see no reason why I should.

Lots of people do a lot of talking, Checkmite. Where do you get your evidence?
__________________
"Sufficiently advanced malice is indistinguishable from incompetence. = godless Dave
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2018, 12:34 AM   #350
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,243
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
NB: I'm recording your claims about recovery from childhood abuse, but I'm not accepting it. I see no reason why I should.

Lots of people do a lot of talking, Checkmite. Where do you get your evidence?
For instance this paper, which is a study of the causes and outcomes of severe malnutrition in childhood, has this to say about stunted growth:

Quote:
Early growth failure will lead to reduced adult stature unless there is compensatory growth (so-called catch-up growth) in childhood, which is partly dependent on the extent of maturational delay that lengthens the period of growth. Because maturational delays in low-income and middle-income countries are usually shorter than 2 years,25 only a small part of the growth failure is compensated for. In Guatemala,26 there was little evidence of catch-up growth after 3 years of age but in Senegal, where maturational delays were substantial, adults heights were only about 2 cm shorter than the reference despite severe stunting in childhood.27 In both countries, differences in height between stunted and non-stunted children younger than 5 years remained largely unchanged into adulthood. People who remain in the setting in which they developed childhood undernutrition tend to become short adults.9,24,25 Improvements in living conditions such as those brought on through adoption can trigger catch-up growth but do so more effectively in very young children.25,28
But the necessity of a scientific study is rather superfluous in this case. We know that the older-looking children in that family are all adults, and the photographs plainly show they obviously have severely decreased stature. Not being children any more, it's highly unlikely any of them can be expected to grow substantially or at all.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002

Last edited by Checkmite; 31st January 2018 at 12:49 AM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2018, 09:19 AM   #351
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25,936
More family photos without blur.

https://i.imgur.com/k2DYeZZ.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JAmDsZaRQ...25281%2529.jpg
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.

Last edited by William Parcher; 31st January 2018 at 09:23 AM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2018, 10:43 AM   #352
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 25,746
What about that guy, supposedly 22 (???) years old. Thin as a rake. Looks like a teen.
__________________
Blott en dag, ett ögonblick i sänder,

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2018, 01:03 PM   #353
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,243
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
What about that guy, supposedly 22 (???) years old. Thin as a rake. Looks like a teen.
I think I mentioned this earlier, but the fact the girls appear to have prominent Adam's apples really helps show how thin they are.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2018, 01:44 AM   #354
LongFuzzy
Critical Thinker
 
LongFuzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 309
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
The first photo, the guy next to the guy with glasses, and the second photo, the guy on the right end. Is he blind? There is something with those eyes.
LongFuzzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2018, 07:02 AM   #355
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher
 
Cl1mh4224rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,778
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post

Do all of their names start with "J"?

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
What about that guy, supposedly 22 (???) years old. Thin as a rake. Looks like a teen.

Yeah... The parents have some meat on them, but every single one of their children is a stick. That's weird.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2018, 11:39 AM   #356
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,514
Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Do all of their names start with "J"?




Yeah... The parents have some meat on them, but every single one of their children is a stick. That's weird.
To me it looks as if they (roughly) look more malnourished as they get older, it's as if they are on a fixed diet that was sufficient when they were younger but wasn't increased enough as they, and their nutritional requirements, grew.
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2018, 07:39 PM   #357
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25,936
I hadn't seen any information about the lewd act which the father has been charged with. Today there is a story about the dogs being adopted out and it contains this bit...

Originally Posted by The Mercury News
David Turpin has additionally been charged with one count of committing a lewd act by force or fear on a child under 14. District Attorney Hestrin said he inappropriately touched a female minor.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/...re-adopted-out
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2018, 01:02 AM   #358
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,243
Considering the children seem to look around half their actual age, I'm hoping at least that if we dare to call it a pedophilic act, someone won't be rushing into the thread to explain how wrong we are because BUT PUBERTY for once.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2018, 02:16 PM   #359
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25,936
A single inappropriate touch on one daughter once. I wonder what it was. Could he get hit with that charge if he once grabbed the butt of a daughter while she was wearing jeans?
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2018, 05:07 PM   #360
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NZ
Posts: 21,036
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
A single inappropriate touch on one daughter once. I wonder what it was. Could he get hit with that charge if he once grabbed the butt of a daughter while she was wearing jeans?
We don't know.

It's a lewd act charge.

I'm no cop. But I doubt it would be a single touch to get that thrown at him
__________________
"I mean, you've got the first sort of mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a story-book, man," Biden said.

2007 https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna16911044
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:00 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.