IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th May 2021, 06:44 AM   #161
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Which theorists linked w/ CRT got it right, back in the day? Before, say, 2016.
Pretty much anyone who understands the basic ideas - there's no need for the names of particular "adherents" any more than one needs the names of physicists to predict the result of F=mA

Quote:
I believe conservatives really are afraid of the things they claim to be afraid of in public, based on decades of lived experience.
You can do so if you wish - I'm discussing the Republican party, not any sort of conservative group. And I see little more than a group hellbent on wallowing in their hatreds and grievances, and interested in nothing but dragging everyone else along with them to their dreams of white supremacism and emperor worship.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2021, 08:35 AM   #162
Lithrael
Master Poster

Iíve seen a lot of pushback from a lot of everyday type conservatives over shifting terminology. To them, Ďracistí means hateful bigot, full stop, and a lot of them think that defining Ďracistí as Ďanyone who cooperates with/benefits from/hasnít noticed institutional racismí is just a back door way of getting away with accusing all American white people of being hateful bigots.

And of course the thing where, under that usage, a black guy that hates white people is a hateful bigot instead of a racist. That makes no sense to them. Thatís what that word is for, changing it isnít fair or sensible.

I donít know, though, controlling the terminology of the dialog is a pretty effective sociopolitical strategy. I can see the point of view of the people who are frustrated with that kind of thing, but I also donít see very many of those same people up in arms about it when itís being done by republicans, the absolute masters of controlling the dialog and getting everyone to talk in their terms. ďTax burden/tax reliefĒ for instance.

To me, itís just a way of reframing things to the point of view your side is trying to emphasize; I might not like it but it works and itís not actually offensive to me as a rhetorical tool in general. It bothers me when itís intentionally misleading, but honestly I donít find the CRT terminology to be intentionally misleading. If you look into it even a little they say clearly what they mean by their use of these terms, and itís not Ďup is downí type stuff at all.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2021, 08:39 AM   #163
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Words mean things" versus "Words mean one exact thing in every context with no variation or metaphorical use" is just the only discussion society is capable of having anymore isn't it?

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2021, 09:04 AM   #164
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lithrael View Post
I’ve seen a lot of pushback from a lot of everyday type conservatives over shifting terminology. To them, ‘racist’ means hateful bigot, full stop, and a lot of them think that defining ‘racist’ as ‘anyone who cooperates with/benefits from/hasn’t noticed institutional racism’ is just a back door way of getting away with accusing all American white people of being hateful bigots.
This is simply not what's at issue here. THis is about their precious Lost Cause, Darkies Love being ruled by the white man, Obama wasn't really president because he was black, they are either happy servants who love us or superhuman thugs who deserve to be shot and killed view full stop.

ETA: are there people who simply don't pay attention who are worried about "those crazy lefties"? Sure. They aren't the ones who are politically active. If they were, they'd be paying attention.

Last edited by Mumbles; 12th May 2021 at 09:07 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2021, 09:28 AM   #165
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Pretty much anyone who understands the basic ideas - there's no need for the names of particular "adherents" any more than one needs the names of physicists to predict the result of F=mA
We can use Newton's Laws of Motion to predict things before they happen, but you've not yet shown that anyone can use Critical Race Theories to do this.
Old 12th May 2021, 09:39 AM   #166
Mumbles
Philosopher

We can use Newton's Laws of Motion to predict things before they happen, but you've not yet shown that anyone can use Critical Race Theories to do this.
Last time, since I already gave you one:

Derrick Bell, way back in the 1970s, predicted another wave of pseudoscientific ideas about black inferiority. See: the "culture" arguments, the Bell Curve, and so forth.

ETA: Done with the analogy?

Last edited by Mumbles; 12th May 2021 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12th May 2021, 11:03 AM   #167
d4m10n
Philosopher

Derrick Bell, way back in the 1970s, predicted another wave of pseudoscientific ideas about black inferiority.
Okay that *is* a good example.

Was his prediction in an article or a book? I'd like to see how he tied it into the ideas of CRT.
Old 13th May 2021, 07:21 AM   #168
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

What all this pearl clutching among the reactionaries about Critical Race Theory is really about:

Quote:
A fifth-grade classroom has become the latest collision point for America’s cultural reckoning with racial bias, police violence and academic freedom after Florida’s second-largest school district temporarily pulled an award-winning youth novel over a police complaint that the book was “propaganda” against law enforcement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...t-boys-police/

This is what the conservatives are actually driving at. Any suggestion that power wielded in this power, either historically or currently, is tainted with racism is forbidden. You wouldn't want to hurt the feelings of the cops that just so happened to murder a black child.
Old 13th May 2021, 07:25 AM   #169
d4m10n
Philosopher

What does Jewell Parker Rhodes have to do with Critical Race Theory?
Old 13th May 2021, 07:27 AM   #170
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

What does Jewell Parker Rhodes have to do with Critical Race Theory?
Exactly as much as all the other reactionary freakouts around the issue do, nothing at all.

That's the point. "Critical Race Theory" is just a stand-in for general conservative culture war nonsense. It's cited as a smear to justify banning even the most modest recognition of the reality of racism in our country.

Can we just skip the part where you insist on some narrow, pointless definition and refuse to include the obvious context around this issue? One thread of that is enough for me.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 13th May 2021 at 07:29 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2021, 07:36 AM   #171
ahhell
Illuminator

I’ve seen a lot of pushback from a lot of everyday type conservatives over shifting terminology. To them, ‘racist’ means hateful bigot, full stop, and a lot of them think that defining ‘racist’ as ‘anyone who cooperates with/benefits from/hasn’t noticed institutional racism’ is just a back door way of getting away with accusing all American white people of being hateful bigots.

And of course the thing where, under that usage, a black guy that hates white people is a hateful bigot instead of a racist. That makes no sense to them. That’s what that word is for, changing it isn’t fair or sensible.

I don’t know, though, controlling the terminology of the dialog is a pretty effective sociopolitical strategy. I can see the point of view of the people who are frustrated with that kind of thing, but I also don’t see very many of those same people up in arms about it when it’s being done by republicans, the absolute masters of controlling the dialog and getting everyone to talk in their terms. “Tax burden/tax relief” for instance.

To me, it’s just a way of reframing things to the point of view your side is trying to emphasize; I might not like it but it works and it’s not actually offensive to me as a rhetorical tool in general. It bothers me when it’s intentionally misleading, but honestly I don’t find the CRT terminology to be intentionally misleading. If you look into it even a little they say clearly what they mean by their use of these terms, and it’s not ‘up is down’ type stuff at all.
Surely yo can see the difference between framing Tax cuts/raises as either burden or relief is someone what difference from framing a word that until quite recently meant believing one race is better or worse than another and thus deserves better or worse treatment by society as someone who doesn't notice institutional racism?

There's also the reframing of white supremecy as what we used to call racism.

5 years ago, if someone called me a racist, they would have meant I hated black people now they might just mean, I don't notice the extra burden our society puts on black people or even, I do but don't think they are as big a burden as the person making the accusation.

None of that may be CRT but its the thing that CRT has become in the popular culture and the writings of DeAngelo And Kendi. I do think its dishonest. The equivalent of me calling someone a ******** and when challenged, saying, Oh really just meant we disagree.

Last edited by ahhell; 13th May 2021 at 07:38 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2021, 07:39 AM   #172
ahhell
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Exactly as much as all the other reactionary freakouts around the issue do, nothing at all.

That's the point. "Critical Race Theory" is just a stand-in for general conservative culture war nonsense. It's cited as a smear to justify banning even the most modest recognition of the reality of racism in our country.

Can we just skip the part where you insist on some narrow, pointless definition and refuse to include the obvious context around this issue? One thread of that is enough for me.
Ironic, given that racist has really just become a smear to dismiss anything conservatives, libertarians, or the not quite progressive enough say. Covid has mad that obvious to all but the most ideological. The various teachers unions claiming that reopening schools is racist or white supremacy.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...t-trustee-says

Which if anything is the opposite of true. Keeping them closed will have has had a disproportionately negative impact on Black Americans and immigrants.

Last edited by ahhell; 13th May 2021 at 07:45 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2021, 07:44 AM   #173
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Is it fair to say that CRT gets challenged because even its proponents can't define it, and what little they can define champions anecdotes over evidence and the rest? My issue with it is not being able to even say what it is, but hanging a clinical-sounding name on it to make it sound well-defined.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2021, 07:52 AM   #174
rdwight
Muse

I wonder at what level of education CRT would be best introduced before college, if at all. I lean towards HS, since if I could take an elective on cooking which included such highlights as fork and knife placement while dining out/leaving the table, theorizing like this would be at least as thought provoking.

It's already been active at the college level from what I understand, but the elementary school level seems too young. That especially includes thought exercises that fall into this realm, since they are commonly a cluster ****.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2021, 07:53 AM   #175
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Is it fair to say that CRT gets challenged because even its proponents can't define it, and what little they can define champions anecdotes over evidence and the rest? My issue with it is not being able to even say what it is, but hanging a clinical-sounding name on it to make it sound well-defined.
I'm sure the small circle of academics that are interested in this academic theory could define it quite well. These people, and that definition, are actually not very relevant, because what reactionaries are crying about is not, in fact, critical race theory.

Whatever reactionary conservatives are talking about in relation to politics has nothing to do with CRT. That's probably why it's so difficult to define colloquially, because what's being discussed in the public discourse is pretty clearly not "CRT", but just more of the same culture war nonsense that has become standard with the extreme right.

When some slavering moron in a MAGA hat accuses Biden of being crypto Marxo-Fascist, you don't actually have to bother with defining Marxism or Fascism, because obviously the accusation is totally unmoored from any objective reality. Giving on-the-face absurd allegations the benefit of the doubt is either willful obtuseness or naÔve.

The same applies to reactionaries freaking out that any recognition of the role racism has played in our history is "Critical Race Theory". It's total nonsense.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 13th May 2021 at 07:55 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2021, 07:56 AM   #176
Lplus
Muse

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Surely yo can see the difference between framing Tax cuts/raises as either burden or relief is someone what difference from framing a word that until quite recently meant believing one race is better or worse than another and thus deserves better or worse treatment by society as someone who doesn't notice institutional racism?

There's also the reframing of white supremecy as what we used to call racism.

5 years ago, if someone called me a racist, they would have meant I hated black people now they might just mean, I don't notice the extra burden our society puts on black people or even, I do but don't think they are as big a burden as the person making the accusation.

None of that may be CRT but its the thing that CRT has become in the popular culture and the writings of DeAngelo And Kendi. I do think its dishonest. The equivalent of me calling someone a ******** and when challenged, saying, Oh really just meant we disagree.
And 10 years ago they would have meant you considered black people to be inherently inferior to white people or vice versa. (purely as an example)

That's still the dictionary definition, but hey...
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2021, 08:37 AM   #177
ahhell
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Lplus View Post
And 10 years ago they would have meant you considered black people to be inherently inferior to white people or vice versa. (purely as an example)

That's still the dictionary definition, but hey...
In this case, its a deliberate change which I think is quite dishonest. Not everyone does it dishonestly but some of the thought leaders have. In DeAngelo's case, its pretty obvious. Basically, if you react badly to me calling you a white supremacist its because you're a white supremacist.

Related to other posts.

I like the "This thing you're complaining about isn't what you are calling it, so the thing you're complaining about doesn't exist and you're a bad person for worrying about it argument." Its clever.

Last edited by ahhell; 13th May 2021 at 08:50 AM.
Old 13th May 2021, 08:39 AM   #178
d4m10n
Philosopher

Can we skip to the part where you explain why the conservative misuse of the label for propagandistic purposes is somehow more compelling and/or topical than the actual academic phenomenon of CRT?

Last edited by d4m10n; 13th May 2021 at 08:41 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2021, 08:49 AM   #179
ahhell
Illuminator

Isn't that exactly what you're doing?
CRT is a particular and obscure academic theory, therefore what folks are complaining about isn't real.
Old 13th May 2021, 08:58 AM   #180
Lplus
Muse

In this case, its a deliberate change which I think is quite dishonest. Not everyone does it dishonestly but some of the thought leaders have. In DeAngelo's case, its pretty obvious. Basically, if you react badly to me calling you a white supremacist its because you're a white supremacist.

Related to other posts.

I like the "This thing you're complaining about isn't what you are calling it, so the thing you're complaining about doesn't exist and you're a bad person for worrying about it argument." Its clever.
Some are just lazy - or ignorant.
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2021, 08:59 AM   #181
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Isn't that exactly what you're doing?
CRT is a particular and obscure academic theory, therefore what folks are complaining about isn't real.
Curious how all the laws being passed by conservatives do more than forbid CRT being taught, but are broad prohibitions on teaching any history that might make white reactionaries uncomfortable.

It's probably a coincidence or an accident, surely not a deliberate tactic.
Old 13th May 2021, 09:06 AM   #182
Lithrael
Master Poster

Yeah, ‘racist’ never meant ‘hatefully racist’ though that has often been the common usage connotation. The older meaning was simply ‘racially prejudiced’ and, similarly, while ‘racially prejudiced’ has a connotation of meaning ‘ill-disposed towards (racial group)’ it really just means that you have preconceived notions about someone due to the racial group they are a member of.

The ‘hateful or negative’ connotation is really drummed into some people. For example you get people who are astonished that it’s considered racist to assume that an Asian guy is going to be good at math, or a tall black guy, good at basketball.

Last edited by Lithrael; 13th May 2021 at 09:07 AM.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2021, 09:11 AM   #183
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Curious how all the laws being passed by conservatives do more than forbid CRT being taught, but are broad prohibitions on teaching any history that might make white reactionaries uncomfortable.

Just don't call it "whitewashing"!
Old 13th May 2021, 09:14 AM   #184
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's like people forget that it's totally possible to discuss things without having a specific exact term for everything.

No I don't agree with "Oh he's not really racists because he didn't literally cook and eat a black man for Thanksgiving Dinner while holding a notarized note saying 'I am doing this specifically for reasons of racism'" nonsense nor do I agree with the whole Left's "Original Sin" version of racism.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2021, 09:15 AM   #185
ahhell
Illuminator

Yeah, Ďracistí never meant Ďhatefully racistí though that has often been the common usage connotation. The older meaning was simply Ďracially prejudicedí and, similarly, while Ďracially prejudicedí has a connotation of meaning Ďill-disposed towards (racial group)í it really just means that you have preconceived notions about someone due to the racial group they are a member of.

The Ďhateful or negativeí connotation is really drummed into some people. For example you get people who are astonished that itís considered racist to assume that an Asian guy is going to be good at math, or a tall black guy, good at basketball.
There's the thing, it not racist to assume a tall black guy is good at basketball is it. Assuming a short black guy is would be.
Most folks get that assuming an Asian guy is good at math is racist, most would say, a bit racist. Its useful to point that out because, just saying its racist conflates it with a lot of much worse ****.

I'm reminded of the episode of Modern Family where the two gay guys adopt a kid. The stewardess says something to the effect of "Look at those two cupcakes" one of guy gets pissed at the homophobe then the camera pans out to show his partner holding two cupcakes.

Be careful when using words like all, almost certainly makes your statement false.

Because its relevant to this thread. Maybe its not CRT but Anti-racism that's the problem. Of course you can't say that because how can "anti-racism" be bad. Its like anti-facism in that regard.

https://johnmcwhorter.substack.com/p...as-antiracists
Old 13th May 2021, 09:18 AM   #186
Mumbles
Philosopher

In my experience, when someone calls someone else a "racist", they still mean "hate's a racial group" or "thinks that one racial group is inferior to another". This might not be clearly stated - consider the idea that "rap music" turns black children into "thugs", itself a stereotype, but no possible form of entertainment can do the same to children or adults of any other race.

Quote:
Well, no, it's not "unfair", regardless of what the two say - it's just "factually wrong." If you use "noise" to mean "silence"...you're just wrong. I may mean "electrical energy created by random thermal motion of electrons" (to dumb it down), and you may mean "That kid yelling outside" - there's at least an analogy to be had there.

Similarly, if you say "Critical Race Theory" to mean "the idea that white people are inherently racist", you're just wrong - CRT denies that race is an inherent attribute at all. You are not in a popular discussion, you are simply misusing the phrase, just like a person who say "evolution" to mean "Our parents are monkeys."

And even worse, if you write a law that "bans CRT" under the guise of "teaching white children they're all racist", what you have actually done is to ban an a group of academic discussions, reordered funding, and so forth out of ignorance. Just like if you ban "teaching evolution", you have banned teaching biology, not just "our parents are monkeys".
Old 13th May 2021, 09:24 AM   #187
ahhell
Illuminator

This just came up in podcast feed but its seems relevant. A debate about CRT. On of the first speakers sums up my feelings. Basically, there are a lot of things called CRT, some good some bad and it isn't just the right reactionaries confusing the matter.

I'm more convinced CRT is the wrong thing to worry about, it is the anti-racism movement and that seems to be what a lot of people mean by CRT. Probably because, who could be against anti-racism?

https://americanshade.podbean.com/

Keep in mind, my early posts in this thread was to discuss the CRT you are talking about mumbles. Primarily an academic legal field stemming out of the broader academic philosophical field of critical theory which developed out of marxism.

Last edited by ahhell; 13th May 2021 at 09:27 AM.
Old 13th May 2021, 09:27 AM   #188
Mumbles
Philosopher

There's the thing, it not racist to assume a tall black guy is good at basketball is it. Assuming a short black guy is would be.
Most folks get that assuming an Asian guy is good at math is racist, most would say, a bit racist. Its useful to point that out because, just saying its racist conflates it with a lot of much worse ****.
Is it "antisemitic" to say that jewish people are good with money? On it's face, it's quite complimentary. In fact, you can find rappers that state outright that black people should imitate jewish people in this.

But...when people decide to look for a group to blame for their troubles and kill..."good with money" can suddenly take on an extremely dark turn.
Old 13th May 2021, 09:32 AM   #189
ahhell
Illuminator

Its usually called benign racism, still racism but the distinction should be made and it depends on the context. You could say things like, Jewish Americans generally out perform other ethnicities on account of a culture that values education and traditions in the financial industries. As a side note that tradition was forced on them by European Christians.

Its similar to the tendency of some folks to call everything from violent rape to an unasked for kiss as sexual assault. All bad, not all equally bad though.

Last edited by ahhell; 13th May 2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old 13th May 2021, 09:42 AM   #190
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Is it "antisemitic" to say that jewish people are good with money? On it's face, it's quite complimentary.
Yes. Because it's naÔve to the point of it being suspicious to pretend, even as a pure hypothetical, that the "good with money" part was ever an honest compliment being directed at the Jewish people. It's a backhanded, snide reference to the stereotype of them being greedy and/or controlling finances.

Again you can't go "Well it's technically complimentary."

Old 13th May 2021, 09:48 AM   #191
Mumbles
Philosopher

Its usually called benign racism, still racism but the distinction should be made and it depends on the context. You could say things like, Jewish Americans generally out perform other ethnicities on account of a culture that values education and traditions in the financial industries. As a side note that tradition was forced on them by European Christians.

Its similar to the tendency of some folks to call everything from violent rape to an unasked for kiss as sexual assault. All bad, not all equally bad though.
And you'd be surprised at how fast "That tall black guy must be good at basketball" can turn into "that ****** only got into college because he can throw a ball, he took the spot of a good white student."

Well, really, the "stole a white person's spot" one can tossed at a black person at college for any number of reasons, trust me on that one I won't go into stories here, but you get the point I hope, I'm getting tired of these 101 discussions that have nothing to do with the discipline of CRT, or why people are screaming about it all of a sudden.

ETA:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Yes. Because it's naÔve to the point of it being suspicious to pretend, even as a pure hypothetical, that the "good with money" part was ever an honest compliment being directed at the Jewish people. It's a backhanded, snide reference to the stereotype of them being greedy and/or controlling finances.
And even if the speakers really doesn't know that stereotype, and the history behind it...what on earth else don't they know?

Last edited by Mumbles; 13th May 2021 at 09:53 AM.
Old 13th May 2021, 09:51 AM   #192
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Is it "antisemitic" to say that jewish people are good with money? On it's face, it's quite complimentary. In fact, you can find rappers that state outright that black people should imitate jewish people in this.

But...when people decide to look for a group to blame for their troubles and kill..."good with money" can suddenly take on an extremely dark turn.
Or ďthe gays are so creative they make fantastic hair stylistsĒ.
Old 13th May 2021, 09:55 AM   #193
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

indeed. Are any of these supposed positive racist tropes ever not bundled with more negative connotations?
Old 13th May 2021, 09:57 AM   #194
dirtywick
Illuminator

I think the positive stereotypes exist to make the negative ones more acceptable. After all, if you can accept one stereotype as true, it must be possible that others are true as well. And they canít be all good, right?
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2021, 10:00 AM   #195
d4m10n
Philosopher

Which bits of history would be prevented from being taught by the Oklahoma law discussed upthread?

Last edited by d4m10n; 13th May 2021 at 10:03 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2021, 10:00 AM   #196
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

There's also the "I'm not racist, I make fun of everybody" routine or even worst the... *groans* "I'm not racist, I hate everyone." routine.

1. General broad misanthropy does not excuse racism.
2. Stupid, try-hard, edge-lord persona misanthropy doubly does not excuse racism.
3. It almost always manifests as something along the lines of:

"Black people are all thugs and killers. Mexicans are all rapists and drug smuggling illegal immigrants. Arabs are all terrorists. And us white people... man we sure dance bad don't we?"

Old 13th May 2021, 10:30 AM   #197
ahhell
Illuminator

Why are you yelling at me, I just answered a question. Like I said, benign racism is bad, its just not as bad as malign racism, conflating the two just confuses things.

Some who who says, there are a lot of Jewish people in entertainment, finance, and law, is just stating a fact or at least a widely believed factoid even among Jews. Might be racist, especially if its unprompted, might not be if discussing differential outcomes among different ethnicities.

Some one says, "Jewish people are good with money" can be talked to and reasoned with, maybe.

Someone who says that "Jews control the banks" can't. There is that Black guy that has gotten a bunch of white supremacist to change there mind. So it can be done, its just a lot harder.

And some folks talk as though all of those things are the same. Or even things that aren't even that. As with Carano, mentioning the holocaust in a dumb and hamfisted metaphor is still anti-semitic.

Any rate, none of that has much to do with CRT other than what is conflated with CRT.
Old 13th May 2021, 10:33 AM   #198
ahhell
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
I think the positive stereotypes exist to make the negative ones more acceptable. After all, if you can accept one stereotype as true, it must be possible that others are true as well. And they can’t be all good, right?
That's just bad logic. Benign racism may have that consequence but its just silly to think it exist for that purpose.

Is it Racist to say Cambodians make the best donuts?
Cambodians own a lot of donut shops?
At one point 90% of independent donut shops in CA were owned by Cambodian Americans.

Edited to delete the accidental quote of myself.

Last edited by ahhell; 13th May 2021 at 10:35 AM.
Old 13th May 2021, 10:42 AM   #199
ahhell
Illuminator

And you'd be surprised at how fast "That tall black guy must be good at basketball" can turn into "that ****** only got into college because he can throw a ball, he took the spot of a good white student."

Well, really, the "stole a white person's spot" one can tossed at a black person at college for any number of reasons, trust me on that one I won't go into stories here, but you get the point I hope, I'm getting tired of these 101 discussions that have nothing to do with the discipline of CRT, or why people are screaming about it all of a sudden.

ETA:
And even if the speakers really doesn't know that stereotype, and the history behind it...what on earth else don't they know?
I don't trust you on this.
I'm know the tall black guy who's good at basketball gets accused of being in college only because he's good at basketball, mostly because its often true, same with the tall white guy that's good at basketball who also gets accuse of that.

Also know that the black guys at college are accused of displacing "deserving" whites, mostly on account of affirmative action not sports.

It seems to me your conflating those two things. I know lots of progressives that complain about college sports. I know few conservatives that complain about affirmative action, very little overlap between those two groups.
Old 13th May 2021, 10:53 AM   #200
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Why are you yelling at me, I just answered a question.
*Confused* I'm not. I wasn't even responding to or quoting you.

Quote:
Some one says, "Jewish people are good with money" can be talked to and reasoned with, maybe.

Someone who says that "Jews control the banks" can't.
Those are the same statement. Again this whole "Oh but you are only allowed to look at the exact words being said and pretend context isn't a thing" is ust wrong.

You can't be non-racist "technically."

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events