IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 28th May 2021, 03:16 AM   #321
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,726
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
On that last bit, we are in complete agreement.

I don't think it does anything to avoid lawsuits either. Or at least, I can't see how it would possibly do so. It really seems more like the bastardized version being peddled by grifting idiots is more a matter of corporate virtue signaling than anything else.
It's mostly my understanding from the few HR people I know. It's basically evidence that the company in question is trying to make sure that their workplace isn't hostile to any gender, race, religion, etc. Course, I've also worked in a couple of workplaces that are *very* hostile to, um black people that had this sort of training, just like I know women who have been harassed by cowokers despite their training. Best advise is just to write down dates and times if you plan to take it to HR, and just get out if you don't.

Individuals that pick and choose these different training courses seem to be well meaning but picking what they "think" is best - and of course, the company is about maximizing profits. This is one time I think "virtue signaling" is actually correct - this is why you see Youtube "celebrating LGBT Pride Month" while spending *years* demonitising and delisting actual LGBT content creators, why Nike will put out a video featuring Colin Kaepernick and BLM protestors while still using Bangledeshi factories that they *swear* they inspect to make sure there are no children working there, and so forth. It's nice to know which side the guys that want money think is winning, but don't forget that they want to profit all the same.

The employee training stuff, though? That's just a time sink that most people don't care much about. It's mostly about avoiding lawsuits from employees. Yes, even the useful stuff, like the yearly High Voltage Safety course I get to take - although that one is *very* important for people's health, and everyone who decided we need that may genuinely care about us, it's still in part to avoid one of us, or our survivors, suing the hell out of them in the event of a tragedy.

Last edited by Mumbles; 28th May 2021 at 03:29 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2021, 07:35 AM   #322
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 12,162
Perhaps a bit off topic, but an interesting news item that illustrates the strong reactionary aversion to even acknowledging the history of racism of this country.

Quote:
As a vet spoke about Memorial Day’s roots in Black history, his mic was cut. It was no accident.

Retired Army Lt. Col. Barnard Kemter was midway through his speech at a Memorial Day ceremony in an Ohio cemetery when he started discussing the role that freed Black enslaved people played in an early event honoring Civil War dead.

Suddenly, his microphone cut off. Kemter, 77, tapped it a few times before yelling for assistance, video of the Monday event shows.

“I assumed it was a technical glitch,” Kemter, who carried on with his speech off-mic while he waited for the audio to return, told The Washington Post.

But the disruption was no glitch. One of the event’s organizers later admitted the audio had been deliberately turned down, telling the Akron Beacon Journal that Kemter’s discussion of Black history “was not relevant to our program for the day.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...source=twitter

The conservative elements of this country are firmly opposed to any meaningful discussion about the history of race and racism in this country. That is the driving factor behind these anti-CRT freakouts.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2021, 09:25 AM   #323
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,726
That one is, pretty specifically, about a pair of knuckleheads' hatred of black people. Pointing out that Memorial day Apparently started as Decoration Day when black soldiers and freedmen gave dead Union Soldiers a proper burial instead of leaving them in a mass grave in Charleston SC's prison.

In other words, it's plainly about how Memorial day came about, and some Pee-Wee Playhouse characters decided that "black" was the secret word and started screaming.

But, you know, he didn't say anything about enjoying the weekend at least.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2021, 12:03 PM   #324
ahhell
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,842
Semi-related random crazy:
https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/the...m-of-the-white mind

https://medicine.yale.edu/event/72225/

Quote:
This is the cost of talking to white people at all. The cost of your own life, as they suck you dry. There are no good apples out there. White people make my blood boil. (Time stamp: 6:45)
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2021, 03:55 PM   #325
Stout
Illuminator
 
Stout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,771
Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Mmmmmmmm WOW ! That is some red hot steamy wokeporn right there and if I was living in NYC, I'd be booking a session with her for sure.

Imagine...A psychiatrist of Indian descent diagnosing all white people as psychopathic.

I'll be in my bunk.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2021, 04:09 PM   #326
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,706
My 2 ignorant questions:
1) Is the concept of critical theory in general compatible with skepticism, at least in terms of how skepticism is defined here?
2) Is Critical Race Theory a true critical theory?
__________________
"Facts are stupid things."
Ronald Reagan


TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2021, 04:31 PM   #327
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,726
Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Yeah, I've felt a bit like that sometimes - dealing with racists is incredibly annoying when they're gleefully decided to make you their target. THat's why I put the white supremacists around here on ignore - the only reason to deal with people who insist your skin color makes you a stupid violent rapist who needs to be gunned down is to raise your blood pressure, and that's rarely good.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2021, 05:48 PM   #328
d4m10n
Philosopher
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 8,244
Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
1) Is the concept of critical theory in general compatible with skepticism, at least in terms of how skepticism is defined here?
I think the answer to this is probably that CRT doesn't often traffic in the sort of empirical claims we could test on Mythbusters or using a Michelson–Morley apparatus or what-have-you. (I'm somewhat less clear on whether CRT makes the sort of claims which can be sussed out using quantitative analyses on data sets from the social sciences.) For the most part, the collection of ideas in CRT are qualitative in nature, and some of them fall more on the ought side of the is-ought gap.
__________________
Just reread theprestige's signature; still cannot recall anything about it.

Last edited by d4m10n; 4th June 2021 at 05:53 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2021, 04:24 PM   #329
Graham2001
Graduate Poster
 
Graham2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,499
Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Imagine...A psychiatrist of Indian descent diagnosing all white people as psychopathic.
That claim makes me think of a 1990s game by Avalanche Press called 'Survival of the Witless' that parodied Political Correctness, one of the professors you had to impress was somone who claimed that 'All whites are psychopaths because the cold of the north has chilled their souls', amongst other things.



But what I thought was more interesting was the fact that Yale tried to prevent the release of the talk even though it was broadcast publicly. That's one of the things that comes out in the interview posted on Bari Weiss's substack. The fact that Aruna agreed to do the intervew at all is something that surprised me, most CRT advocates prefer to speak only with those who agree with them.


This story is also being reported on Newsweek...


https://www.newsweek.com/aruna-khila...public-1597873
__________________
"I need hard facts! Bring in the dowsers!"
'America Unearthed' Season 1, Episode 13: Hunt for the Holy Grail

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2021, 06:57 PM   #330
d4m10n
Philosopher
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 8,244
Came across this story yesterday:



https://twitter.com/manick62/status/1399995833316036608

Not sure if it's relevant to CRT, but it feels like the same ballpark.
__________________
Just reread theprestige's signature; still cannot recall anything about it.

Last edited by d4m10n; 5th June 2021 at 07:07 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2021, 08:47 PM   #331
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,726
Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Mmmmmmmm WOW ! That is some red hot steamy wokeporn right there and if I was living in NYC, I'd be booking a session with her for sure.

Imagine...A psychiatrist of Indian descent diagnosing all white people as psychopathic.
Ironically, this reaction, compared to how people to 5+ people here who flood us with racist snuff porn every time there's a thread about some black person that gets killed by police or wannabe vigilantes for no reason as one example, is the sort of thing that she says infuriates her to that point to begin with.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2021, 09:09 AM   #332
Stout
Illuminator
 
Stout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,771
Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post


But what I thought was more interesting was the fact that Yale tried to prevent the release of the talk even though it was broadcast publicly. That's one of the things that comes out in the interview posted on Bari Weiss's substack. The fact that Aruna agreed to do the intervew at all is something that surprised me, most CRT advocates prefer to speak only with those who agree with them.

I figure Yale was embarrassed at having let that talk not only go ahead given it's title and now found themselves in possession of some highly racist material that they's prefer the general public not find out about. I'm thinking that Khilanani, ( possibly emboldened by Biden's election ) was so wrapped up in her hate speech being "truth", so incensed that her words were held back she had to resort to Yale releasing them to the great unwashed.

Shrink or not, this woman has some serious issues.

Given this was approved by Yale and taught to students, it's understandable that parents would object to this sort of material being taught to school age children so those protests against CRT in schools might not be as far off the mark that some people would have us to believe.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2021, 09:10 AM   #333
Stout
Illuminator
 
Stout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,771
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Ironically, this reaction, compared to how people to 5+ people here who flood us with racist snuff porn every time there's a thread about some black person that gets killed by police or wannabe vigilantes for no reason as one example, is the sort of thing that she says infuriates her to that point to begin with.
Ironically or not, I have absolutely no idea what that post is supposed to mean.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2021, 10:43 AM   #334
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,726
Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Ironically or not, I have absolutely no idea what that post is supposed to mean.
It means, when someone isolates a person for extreme emotional abuse and mistreatment based on some trivial attribute, like their race (and she gives multiple examples of this), or what hand they right with, or their height, they will not get their abuse victims to like them.

(hell, white nationalists just *imagine* mistreatment, and go out on actual real-life murder sprees - not just the stress-relief fantasies she describes)

Last edited by Mumbles; 6th June 2021 at 10:44 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2021, 11:06 AM   #335
Stout
Illuminator
 
Stout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,771
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
It means, when someone isolates a person for extreme emotional abuse and mistreatment based on some trivial attribute, like their race (and she gives multiple examples of this), or what hand they right with, or their height, they will not get their abuse victims to like them.

(hell, white nationalists just *imagine* mistreatment, and go out on actual real-life murder sprees - not just the stress-relief fantasies she describes)
Well, yes, generally abusing someone in done to generate feelings of endearment. She's talking about all white people here, not just racists, abusers and white nationalists.

This is blind blatant hatred, the kind social media companies claim to be trying to stamp out, yet her accounts remain active.

In the New York Times now. Lol, "opening up a conversation on race" How quaint.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2021, 12:38 PM   #336
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,726
Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Well, yes, generally abusing someone in done to generate feelings of endearment. She's talking about all white people here, not just racists, abusers and white nationalists.
First, you sure about that? There's a principal on this that says If it's not about you, then it's not about you. And she basicaly says outright that she's dropping the Some/most stuff that's often used to center random white listeners over the actual person speaking.

Second, most of the people who do that crap will swear they aren't racist anyway, no point debating them on it when you're expressing anger.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2021, 01:11 PM   #337
Stout
Illuminator
 
Stout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,771
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
First, you sure about that? There's a principal on this that says If it's not about you, then it's not about you. And she basicaly says outright that she's dropping the Some/most stuff that's often used to center random white listeners over the actual person speaking.
Oh. So if I stereotype a group like Muslims and say I don't like them and I'd like to kill a few of them because Muslims are terrorists then the Muslims who aren't terrorists will instantly know that I'm not talking them. OK.

Quote:
Second, most of the people who do that crap will swear they aren't racist anyway, no point debating them on it when you're expressing anger.
What crap , engage in "extreme emotional abuse and mistreatment based on some trivial attribute " and then deny that their engaging in that emotional abuse and mistreatment over that trivial attribute is about that trivial attribute ? Well, yea I suppose, maybe. I don't have that song Short People playing on repeat because your short, shorty. I just happen to really like that song. It could happen, I suppose. That kind of microagression abuse, or we talking beating the crap out of someone because their height deficient ?
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2021, 03:21 PM   #338
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,726
Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Oh. So if I stereotype a group like Muslims and say I don't like them and I'd like to kill a few of them because Muslims are terrorists then the Muslims who aren't terrorists will instantly know that I'm not talking them. OK.
Well, no, this would make you the obnoxious white person in her lecture, as "muslim" is a remarkably small percentage of the population compared to "white".

But...if we say that half of all white people will loudly insist that there's something "psychotic" or "terrorist" about the muslim person because they

Are seen not smiling.
Speak with a middle-eastern accent one time
Look at someone too long or not long enough.
Refuse to back down when they're clearly correct on a matter (usually complete with said white people yelling "STOP YELLING! CARM DOWN!")
Bring up how it irritates them when people hound them over the above, and other, matters.

(And yes, the above does happen a lot)

Quote:
What crap , engage in "extreme emotional abuse and mistreatment based on some trivial attribute " and then deny that their engaging in that emotional abuse and mistreatment over that trivial attribute is about that trivial attribute ? Well, yea I suppose, maybe. I don't have that song Short People playing on repeat because your short, shorty. I just happen to really like that song. It could happen, I suppose.
Every day. Gotta be on their guard every single day.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2021, 03:40 PM   #339
Stout
Illuminator
 
Stout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,771
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Well, no, this would make you the obnoxious white person in her lecture, as "muslim" is a remarkably small percentage of the population compared to "white".
You may be talking about percentage of population in the USA but I'm talking about percentage of population across the entire world ans speaking as an irreligious minority I can shout my Islamophobia from the rooftops and everybody else should automatically know what I mean, right ? All I need to do is wear an atheist t-shirt.

Quote:
Every day. Gotta be on their guard every single day.
On guard, from what ? Extreme emotional abuse and mistreatment ? How does that relate to +5 posters on this forum ?
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2021, 05:16 PM   #340
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,726
Originally Posted by Stout View Post
You may be talking about percentage of population in the USA but I'm talking about percentage of population across the entire world ans speaking as an irreligious minority I can shout my Islamophobia from the rooftops and everybody else should automatically know what I mean, right ? All I need to do is wear an atheist t-shirt.
But when we're discussing your neighborhood, your office, and so on, "the entire world" is simply not relavent.

Now, if people know your an atheist, and constantly nag you about their god in the office, insist that any time you fall out of their random criteria you;re "possessed" and start splashing you with water, insist that you go to their overly religious camp/councelor/meetings, *and you have to simply take it*, yes, I'd indulge your annoyed revenge fantasy.

Quote:
On guard, from what ? Extreme emotional abuse and mistreatment ? How does that relate to +5 posters on this forum ?
On guard from the white people in your workplace who will *immediately* insult, gaslight, and otherwise annoy you when they see you failing to uphold their many restrictions.

As to the 5 (I have about 90 in my ignore list from over the years, actually), they're the racist pests of the forum. Actually, no, they're worse than what I describe, since they're actually bloodthirsty white supremacists. In any event, yes, I've thought about beating the crap out of one or two of them. Wouldn't actually do it, of course, but imagination is in part for relaxation.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2021, 06:57 PM   #341
Stout
Illuminator
 
Stout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,771
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
But when we're discussing your neighborhood, your office, and so on, "the entire world" is simply not relavent.

Now, if people know your an atheist, and constantly nag you about their god in the office, insist that any time you fall out of their random criteria you;re "possessed" and start splashing you with water, insist that you go to their overly religious camp/councelor/meetings, *and you have to simply take it*, yes, I'd indulge your annoyed revenge fantasy.
I see where you're going with this but seriously, in that case I'd be looking for a new job or complaining to human resources, not going on social media and boasting about how I'd gladly kill any member of their race/religion if they "got in my way".

Quote:
On guard from the white people in your workplace who will *immediately* insult, gaslight, and otherwise annoy you when they see you failing to uphold their many restrictions.

As to the 5 (I have about 90 in my ignore list from over the years, actually), they're the racist pests of the forum. Actually, no, they're worse than what I describe, since they're actually bloodthirsty white supremacists. In any event, yes, I've thought about beating the crap out of one or two of them. Wouldn't actually do it, of course, but imagination is in part for relaxation.
Well, if it's making you want to kill random white people, because all white people are the same, you know, then it's seriously time to start looking for a new job of filing those HR complaints ( speaking literally here, not metaphorically )

I'm sure we all have people of this forum who annoy us and if you have that many people on ignore then that's a bit of a problem isn't it. I've never put anybody on ignore, even the annoying ones. Yes we all have people we'd like to beat the crap out of the point being it's because those people are those people. It's their personalities, character or actions that annoys us not their membership in a race.

Unless you want to go down the critical race theory and use that to imply all white people are white supremacists.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2021, 11:17 PM   #342
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi
 
Hlafordlaes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: State of Flux
Posts: 16,222
I posted earlier that, based on the wiki entry, CRT seemed like a mishmash of half-baked ideas. Are there those who seek racial equality who sell such BS as described therein? I imagine so, even if the wiki entry is suspect. But it's ever so convenient fodder, too, for weak-kneed Whine boys to moan and wring their pink hankies over. CRT in practice and as used by Whiny media is White supremacist fear-mongering, delivered with all the swooning panic of a guilty coward on the run.

Contemporary world history is about the crumbling and violent end of stiffling White power and White colonialism; cultures and peoples who, God forbid, never got past lip service to a single damned value, religious or political, of any of those so loudly proclaimed. Sadly, having so failed, there are no valuable precedents or safeguards in place, quite the horrific opposite. The growing fear and angst is therefore justified, but the solution lies dead and buried in a past of lost opportunities to walk the noble talk. The eventual denouement will be global thermonuclear war, a spectacle we can watch now knowing full well that there never were any good guys, and all hopes and dreams were but passing fancies and empty delusions. Time for today's dinosaurs to make way.

Three cheers for misanthropes, the only ones with cause to celebrate.
__________________
His real name is Count Douchenozzle von Stenchfahrter und Lichtendicks. - shemp
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 07:28 AM   #343
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 12,162
Quote:
Hudson American Legion to close permanently after cutting veteran's mic during Memorial Day speech

Jim Garrison, the Hudson American Legion’s post officer and the man who was discovered to have censored retired Army Lt. Col. Barnard Kemter’s speech at Markillie Cemetery on Memorial Day, has resigned as a post officer, and the American Legion has demanded that he resign his membership altogether.

“The American Legion Department of Ohio does not hold space for members, veterans, or families of veterans who believe that censoring black history is acceptable behavior,” the release states. “We discovered that the censoring that occurred at the Memorial Day Ceremony in Hudson, Ohio, sponsored by Hudson American Legion Post 464, was pre-meditated and planned by Jim Garrison and Cindy Suchan."
Racists take another L.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...ial-day-speech
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 11:38 AM   #344
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Ironically, this reaction, compared to how people to 5+ people here who flood us with racist snuff porn every time there's a thread about some black person that gets killed by police or wannabe vigilantes for no reason as one example, is the sort of thing that she says infuriates her to that point to begin with.
Just want to point out that a rather large number of people make use of the ignore feature for that particular subset of people.

Rather than generalizing their abhorrent behavior to everyone who has the same skin color as them.
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 11:40 AM   #345
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I find a good chunk of the delivery and views in that to be horrifically harmful. As a lecture for adults, it's rough enough. But as a lecture given specifically to people who specialize in working with children? I find that kind of sinister.
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 11:45 AM   #346
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
First, you sure about that? There's a principal on this that says If it's not about you, then it's not about you. And she basicaly says outright that she's dropping the Some/most stuff that's often used to center random white listeners over the actual person speaking.

Second, most of the people who do that crap will swear they aren't racist anyway, no point debating them on it when you're expressing anger.
I don't think your logic holds up, Mumbles. It would imply that anyone who objects to me not explicitly using "some/most/not-all" in discussions about say, male violence, are actually sexists who don't deserve any attention. It's the same fallacious argument used by DiAngelo: either you admit you're a racist, or you're just too fragile to admit that you're a racist. There is no possible option for not being a racist. It's an approach that lacks reason and logic, and is fundamentally generalizing a negative stereotype onto a whole group of people, on the basis of nothing at all except their skin color.
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 11:45 AM   #347
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 12,162
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Came across this story yesterday:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...8d81edb917.jpg

https://twitter.com/manick62/status/1399995833316036608

Not sure if it's relevant to CRT, but it feels like the same ballpark.
There's a joke, that I'm sure I'm butchering, that goes

"Why are whites afraid of becoming a minority, are those treated bad or something?"

The absolute terror these reactionaries have in response to demographic trends that are eroding the white majority really put the lie to the claims that institutionalized white privilege doesn't exist.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 11:57 AM   #348
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,726
Originally Posted by Stout View Post
I see where you're going with this but seriously, in that case I'd be looking for a new job or complaining to human resources, not going on social media and boasting about how I'd gladly kill any member of their race/religion if they "got in my way".
You’ll get the same thing there. Maybe less intense, maybe more.

Quote:
Well, if it's making you want to kill random white people, because all white people are the same, you know, then it's seriously time to start looking for a new job of filing those HR complaints ( speaking literally here, not metaphorically )

I'm sure we all have people of this forum who annoy us and if you have that many people on ignore then that's a bit of a problem isn't it. I've never put anybody on ignore, even the annoying ones. Yes we all have people we'd like to beat the crap out of the point being it's because those people are those people. It's their personalities, character or actions that annoys us not their membership in a race.
Pretty much same as what she said. And no, I’m not making a joke. She obviously doesn’t much actually want to kill anyone - she’s not threatening people, stockpiling weapons, or writing actual manifestos detailing her bizarre hatred of Karen, Becky, and Chad. If anything, she’s annoyed by how phenomenally wrapped up in guilt many white people re, to the point of thoughtlessly blaming her and gaslighting her to avoid just dealing with whatever it is about racism that has them so worked into knots.

Quote:
Unless you want to go down the critical race theory and use that to imply all white people are white supremacists.
Not what Critial Race Theory says in this context, but okay then.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 12:40 PM   #349
d4m10n
Philosopher
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 8,244
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The absolute terror these reactionaries have in response to demographic trends that are eroding the white majority really put the lie to the claims that institutionalized white privilege doesn't exist.
You often talk of reactionaries, but I'm typically left to guess which ones.

Anyhow, does the Economist headline make sense to you? Is there, indeed, a white race which European Americans need to identify with?
__________________
Just reread theprestige's signature; still cannot recall anything about it.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 12:48 PM   #350
Stout
Illuminator
 
Stout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,771
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
You’ll get the same thing there. Maybe less intense, maybe more.
Or maybe not at all. You may find the perfect fit where the atheists outnumber the religious and tell to keep that stuff out of the office.

Quote:
Pretty much same as what she said. And no, I’m not making a joke. She obviously doesn’t much actually want to kill anyone - she’s not threatening people, stockpiling weapons, or writing actual manifestos detailing her bizarre hatred of Karen, Becky, and Chad. If anything, she’s annoyed by how phenomenally wrapped up in guilt many white people re, to the point of thoughtlessly blaming her and gaslighting her to avoid just dealing with whatever it is about racism that has them so worked into knots.
OK what and who bothers you is your business.

In this day age where people are getting sidelined for joke tweets they made when they were teenagers I'd expect the same sort of disdain heaped anyone who made a blanket condemnation like Khilanani did, not a defense.

Not being able to hold your tongue is bad enough but insisting that those words be made public is a special type of hate speech. If you're frustrated with white people, then say that. If your really really frustrated with white people, then say it in all caps but expressing fantasies about racially motivated homicide is something I'd be expecting from a white hooded klan member.

Quote:
Not what Critial Race Theory says in this context, but okay then.
Maybe, maybe not I'll take your word for it because it's so fuzzy that I doubt the people who wrote it really know what it means. Given that Khilanani has more than a passing familiarity with CRT and openly talks about it I can see why parents would be up in arms about CRT being introduces into schools.

Suppose she gave that talk, or a variation on it to high or middle schoolers ? Suppose she was unable to hold her tongue with that audience ? Those school trauma counselors would be raking in the overtime.

And yes, I'm aware that some/all of the schools these parents are protesting with regard to CRT and specifically saying that they're NOT teaching CRT but the cat's out of the bag with CRT now and it's entered the popular lexicon.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 01:47 PM   #351
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 12,162
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
You often talk of reactionaries, but I'm typically left to guess which ones.

Anyhow, does the Economist headline make sense to you? Is there, indeed, a white race which European Americans need to identify with?
"Whiteness" is a social construct that has changed pretty wildly over time. Our more racist white ancestors would be absolutely appalled by the way the modern "white" race comingle with inferior non-white strains like Germans, Poles, Irish, Italians, and Slavs.

I can't really comment on the article you linked, it's behind a paywall.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 02:19 PM   #352
ahhell
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,842
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
"Whiteness" is a social construct that has changed pretty wildly over time. Our more racist white ancestors would be absolutely appalled by the way the modern "white" race comingle with inferior non-white strains like Germans, Poles, Irish, Italians, and Slavs.

I can't really comment on the article you linked, it's behind a paywall.
I'm pretty sure they were always okay with the Germans.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 02:21 PM   #353
d4m10n
Philosopher
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 8,244
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
"Whiteness" is a social construct that has changed pretty wildly over time. Our more racist white ancestors would be absolutely appalled by the way the modern "white" race comingle with inferior non-white strains like Germans, Poles, Irish, Italians, and Slavs.
To be sure. I suppose what I'm really objecting to here is the word "realise" in the headline.

I don't have a non-firewalled version for you but here is the mp3.
__________________
Just reread theprestige's signature; still cannot recall anything about it.

Last edited by d4m10n; 8th June 2021 at 02:22 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 02:28 PM   #354
d4m10n
Philosopher
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 8,244
Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I'm pretty sure they were always okay with the Germans.
Perhaps surprisingly, not so much.
__________________
Just reread theprestige's signature; still cannot recall anything about it.

Last edited by d4m10n; 8th June 2021 at 02:29 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 03:07 PM   #355
ahhell
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,842
I shouldn't be surprised, naturally the Huns were vilified. I am surprised the Irishman isn't an even more ape or pig like caricature.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 03:08 PM   #356
dirtywick
Illuminator
 
dirtywick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,118
lol immigrants stealing ballots, some things never change
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 04:10 PM   #357
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
If anything, she’s annoyed by how phenomenally wrapped up in guilt many white people re, to the point of thoughtlessly blaming her and gaslighting her to avoid just dealing with whatever it is about racism that has them so worked into knots.
This is sort of a core nugget of the disagreement here. They ASSUME that people are guilty, and thus, attribute any negative reaction to that ASSUMED guilt. On the other hand, it seems quite plausible that if they insist upon generalizing and denigrating every white person, some of them will get angry and offended.

Look, I could make the exact same argument that they have made, but with respect to the dynamic between males and females. And it would be just as defensible - which is to say not at all. I could easily lay all of the problems faced by females at the feet of males, I could dismiss males as predatory abusers and rapists, I could share fantasies of chopping off testicles or of murdering males.

Somehow, I don't believe that you - as a male of the human species - would be enamored of my characterization and generalization. I expect that you, along with a great many other male posters here on ISF who would crawl out of the woodworks, would quickly insist that I am unfairly maligning a lot of good males out there, and being unfair and rather hateful.

If my response were to tell you that it's all because you're so full of male guilt and male fragility that you just can't deal with my speaking "truth" to "power"... Somehow I don't think you'd be as accepting of that argument as you seem to be of this one on the basis of race.
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 04:12 PM   #358
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
You often talk of reactionaries, but I'm typically left to guess which ones.

Last edited by Emily's Cat; 8th June 2021 at 04:14 PM.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 04:21 PM   #359
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 12,162
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Right wing fear mongering about "white genocide" is very real and very much not a strawman. Tune into Tucker Carlson pretty much any night of the week and you'll hear about it. Right wing fear about the country becoming majority non-white is not a strawman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_...#United_States
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 8th June 2021 at 04:25 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2021, 04:29 PM   #360
d4m10n
Philosopher
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 8,244
Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
lol immigrants stealing ballots, some things never change
#MAGA plagiarizes from the Know NothingsWP often enough that I've begun to suspect continuity via secret society. Perhaps I'll publish my conspiracy theory in the appropriate forum.
__________________
Just reread theprestige's signature; still cannot recall anything about it.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:03 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.