IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: What's Peter Boghossian going to do now?
Get a job at another university because he is an academic who cares about teaching 3 11.11%
Start his own podcast about the Culture Wars 6 22.22%
Join James Lindsay at Sovereign Nations, get a job from Michael O'Fallon and support Trump 2024 12 44.44%
Leave Earth for Planet X 6 22.22%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3rd October 2021, 04:39 PM   #41
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
TAM 2013 attendees, presumably.
Although at least one person says he took a picture of him giving a talk and has no recollection of anything he said. LOL!

That's the story of Bogo's life. He did a talk on how to be authentic, nobody rememebers it, but what they do remember is he published some fraudulent papers, and that he claimed to be cancelled when he actually resigned. LOL!

Not a good look, Bogo!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 10:49 PM   #42
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Elaedith View Post
Sokal is on the left and was trying to 'defend the Left from a trendy segment of itself' (the part that rejects liberalism, free inquiry, objective truth and other so-called enlightenment values). Unfortunately it looks like little was learned from it in the long run. I think the difference in reaction to Boghossian and colleagues compared to Sokal is a marker of how bad things have become.
Agreed

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 11:12 PM   #43
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I had heard of him, and knew of him as a grifter who has been trying to jump on various bandwagons to get clout.
When I read in that earlier article that he was "at PSU", I though it was Penn State, a prestigious, top-ranked research university, and was a little surprised he didn't get fired from there for his dishonesty. Turns out PSU was Portland State University.... a somewhat less salubrious institution.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, bigots and homophobes to describe people who have a properly functioning moral compass!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 12:01 AM   #44
Cain
Straussian

I don't know much about Boghossian, but students seem to enjoy his courses.

A typical comment: "I think his critical thinking class could be one of the most helpful classes I will take in my college experience. He really knows his stuff and is open to discussion during class."
Diablo: You're a lousy bigot. Apologise and withdraw that remark.
Cain: Nah.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 01:51 AM   #45
angrysoba
Philosophile

Sokal is on the left and was trying to 'defend the Left from a trendy segment of itself' (the part that rejects liberalism, free inquiry, objective truth and other so-called enlightenment values). Unfortunately it looks like little was learned from it in the long run. I think the difference in reaction to Boghossian and colleagues compared to Sokal is a marker of how bad things have become.
In terms of the hoaxes, the first one was the Conceptual Penis hoax paper that Boghossian did with James Lindsay. But that was pretty meaningless because:

a) They initially sent it to some gender studies journal only for it to be rejected.

then...

b) They got it published in a pay-to-publish journal.

In other words it was meaningless. The fact that they trumpeted their achievement and Sam Harris read bits of it out on his podcast and forced himself to laugh at it doesn't mean they skewered academia or anything like that. There are predatory journals in just about every field.

The Sokal Squared hoax is where they had some minor success in that they managed to actually get some papers through peer review of some garbage journals. Again, though, it is not as if we never knew that garbage journals were out there. I don't really think it was on a par with the Sokal original given that the original was a send-up of the big names of postmodernism such as Derrida, Lacan and Foucault.

The Sokal Squared hoax was almost more of a send-up of peer reviewers who worked on journals related to minority issues (and thus presumably "grievances"). Peer reviews are almost always things that people do without pay, and it often involves trying to polish turds. Apparently in this case, some of the reviewers comments which were gleefully bandied about after were from peer reviewers who were trying to be supportive.

I have no doubt that the journals they wrote to were crap. I am pretty sure that most of the "academic fields" that are covered by the journals are heavy on theory and low on data, but I really doubt that the "grievance studies" are the only disciplines to publish pure crap. In fact, you only have to look at how much pure crap has been churned out in the pandemic in supposed medical fields to see how much fraud exists in just about every area.

For me, though, the irony is that Boghossian and his associates tend to be some of the biggest grievance-mongers around. You can't switch on a podcast without one of them moaning about how they can't say anything these days without being cancelled... James Lindsay, JBP, the Weinsteins, Dave Rubin all intoning exactly the same litany of oppression. The bottom line is that nobody forced Boghossian out. He just decided to leave by himself, so he wasn't cancelled.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 02:48 AM   #46
Elaedith
Graduate Poster

In terms of the hoaxes, the first one was the Conceptual Penis hoax paper that Boghossian did with James Lindsay. But that was pretty meaningless because:

a) They initially sent it to some gender studies journal only for it to be rejected.

then...

b) They got it published in a pay-to-publish journal.
The 'conceptual penis' article was published in Cogent Social Sciences which is a peer-reviewed journal. Therefore it is a valid criticism of the peer-review process regardless of whether the journal is pay-to-publish. If the journal will publish anything, then the claim of being peer-reviewed is obviously meaningless and part of the aim to was highlight the low standards of such journals.
It was revealed as a hoax the same day it was published.
Old 4th October 2021, 06:47 AM   #47
angrysoba
Philosophile

The 'conceptual penis' article was published in Cogent Social Sciences which is a peer-reviewed journal. Therefore it is a valid criticism of the peer-review process regardless of whether the journal is pay-to-publish. If the journal will publish anything, then the claim of being peer-reviewed is obviously meaningless and part of the aim to was highlight the low standards of such journals.
It was revealed as a hoax the same day it was published.
Yeah, sure, but the journal was pretty much a very low-tier general social sciences journal, rather than a gender studies publication. In fact, they seemed to have only made a critique of pay-to-publish journals (and did such things even need critiquing given their low reputation already?) when the journal they submitted to wasn't even a gender studies journal.

There is an interesting interview with James Lindsay on the Very Bad Wizards podcast, where poor old James is ganged up on by good cop (David Pizarro) and bad cop (Tamler Sommers) in a confrontation that some people have suggested made James Lindsay go a bit mad and may have turned him into the anti-CRT crazy Twitter personality he has become. It starts at around 30:00 if anyone is interested:

https://www.verybadwizards.com/118

Ultimately, they must also have to admit that you cannot simply publish anything that sounds right-on in any gender studies journal. If that were the case, they wouldn't have had the Conceptual Penis rejected, and wouldn't have had half of their Sokal Squared papers rejected. Of course this doesn't mean that gender studies has much to offer, but it somewhat makes the whole point of hoaxing low-grade journals meaningless when a bigger and more impressive feat for Boghossian, Lindsay and Pluckrose would be to publish what they actually believe in a reputable journal (LOL! I suppose that they did write a comment piece in a fairly reputable journal. I don't know if it was peer-reviewed though).

I think they were hoping for a slam-dunk like the actual Sokal hoax, but because it came across as labour-intensive, diffuse in its targets, tended to give off an air of punching down, and also not that successful, it looks pretty cringe.

Old 4th October 2021, 11:36 AM   #48
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
https://www.economist.com/united-sta...mia-to-conform
In 2018 he and two authors tried to publish 20 fake papers, in order to expose what they saw as a willingness to publish anything that used the right jargon.
Regardless of how noble you might think your cause is, there is no valid justification whatsoever for publishing fake papers and/or research. Doing so brings you and your university discredit, and violates your university's trust in your integrity - it puts you in the same scumbaggery class as Andrew Wakefield.
No, it puts them in the same category as Alan Sokal.

The hypothesis in the cases of both Sokal and Boghossian is that academia can't tell the difference between actual post-modern research and complete word-salad laden with jargon. You test that hypothesis by submitting word-salad to academic journals and see it if gets published.

My personal take is that academia can't tell the difference because there is none. Post-modernism IS jargon-filled world-salad nonsense.
Old 4th October 2021, 11:43 AM   #49
Emily's Cat

Granted, one is more serious than the other, but at the end of the day, they both knowingly published BS.

Boghossian is now no longer to be trusted in my book.
Do you trust the other academics who publish post-modern nonsense in journals that can't tell the difference between post-modern nonsense and completely and utter nonsense that uses post-modern jargon?
Old 4th October 2021, 01:38 PM   #50
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Do you trust the other academics who publish post-modern nonsense in journals that can't tell the difference between post-modern nonsense and completely and utter nonsense that uses post-modern jargon?
I wouldn't trust an academic who attempts to publish a fake paper any more than I would trust a scientist who fakes evidence to claim scientific discovery (e.g. Charles Dawson) or a cop who fakes evidence in an attempt to get a conviction (e.g. Mark Furman). Where Boghossian crossed the line is that he fabricated empirical results, and not only that, when one journal challenged him on those fabricated results, he lied to them. There is pretty much no way to independently check empirical result without re-running the whole study, so the people assessing papers for publication almost always have to rely on the honesty and integrity of the researcher who submits the paper. Boghossian took advantage of that. I don't care what his claimed motives were, or how noble others might imagine those motives might be. It is unprofessional, dishonest and there is no excuse for it. It shows two things about him..

(1) he has a complete disregard for the ethics of his profession and that brings the whole of the profession into disrepute,

(2) that he was so utterly useless at his profession that he was unable to express himself sufficiently well to get his point across without being dishonest.

If you cannot achieve your stated aim without employing "gotchas" then you don't belong in that profession. The only good thing he has done here is resign, although he did so because he is a petulant prick - he had hoped that PSU would fire him so that he could make a martyr of himself in an act of self-promotion. In the end he had to fire himself, so even the resignation was for all the wrong reasons.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, bigots and homophobes to describe people who have a properly functioning moral compass!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 03:35 PM   #51
angrysoba
Philosophile

I think the Peter Boghossian stuff is pretty irrelevant here given that he wasn't cancelled and he has his own thread here, started by little old me.

ETA: I have asked the mods if we can move the Boghossian and Sokal Squared hoax discussion to the thread devoted to the Peter Boghossian affair and also that the thread be renamed to make it clearer to others.

Last edited by angrysoba; 4th October 2021 at 03:59 PM.
Old 4th October 2021, 09:40 PM   #52
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

DON'T TELL LIES!!

1. It was not a yes or no question (the words "yes" and "no" do not appear in the question)

2. Her question was "Do you trust the other academics who publish post-modern nonsense in journals that can't tell the difference between post-modern nonsense and completely and utter nonsense that uses post-modern jargon? "

3. I ANSWERED THAT QUESTION DIRECTLY IN THE VERY FIRST ******* LINE OF MY ANSWER - "I wouldn't trust an academic who attempts to publish a fake paper...."

And then, unlike what you do, I justified my answer!

Why do you find it necessary to lie about what has been posted when you disagree with it, and can't come up with a rebuttal? Do you not understand that everyone else here can read, and can tell that you are lying?

(that is not a yes or no question by the way)
As I said earlier, I strongly believe that Sokol did a public good by exposing shoddy journals. He certainly wasn’t cancelled. Do you believe he should have been?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2021, 10:15 PM   #53
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
As I said earlier, I strongly believe that Sokol did a public good by exposing shoddy journals. He certainly wasn’t cancelled. Do you believe he should have been?
Since "cancel culture" wasn't even a thing 25 years ago, then no, I don't think he should have "cancelled" back then but he certainly should have been reprimanded for his dishonesty, and warned that if he did this sort of thing again, he would be gone-burger.

However, if he tried it today, I would fire him on the spot.

Its worth noting that the journal in question did not, at that time, use academic peer review. Nor did it submit articles for outside review by academic experts. This made them a somewhat easy target for a dishonest submitter to take advantage of. Sokal would not have got that past step one with a more prestigious journal.
Old 4th October 2021, 10:35 PM   #54
angrysoba
Philosophile

Bleugh...

I think a lot is being missed in this debate.

First off, who here thinks that post-modernist gender studies is a valuable field?

(I'm going to suggest the answer is close to nobody).

Next, who believed it was until Boghossian and Lindsay's Conceptual Penis destroyed its reputation?

Again, nobody. Literally nobody changed their mind. Why? Because those who thought it was a garbage field still thought it was a garbage field before and after. I mean I guess they just couldn't insert their Penis anywhere without having to pay first.

So, if anything, B+L only succeeded in failing at hoaxing because the gender studies and post-modernists etc... could just say that the actual gender studies journal rejected them. Sokal himself noted this: "Finally, it seems even less likely that this paper would have been accepted at a more prestigious gender-studies journal, such as Gender & Society, Feminist Theory, Signs, Feminist Studies, or Men and Masculinities. The bias towards articles presupposing a particular moral and ideological orientation—and the associated dulling of the editors’ capacities for critical thinking—may well persist at this higher tier, but its effects will be more subtle than a hoax like this could demonstrate."

Link

So, I guess that's why they tried to get papers published to some of the bigger named journals. In many cases, they actually failed, so again, some of the post-modernists will see this as a victory even though I suspect that most of the field is indeed garbage.

That said, this is not remotely like Andrew Wakefield who did real harm, so the comparisons aren't worth making.

Also, I don't think Peter Boghossian should have been fired for his tedious attention-seeking antics. And guess what, he wasn't!

The idea that he was astonished at the idea that the peer reviewers are human subjects, though, just speaks to his contempt for them. Treating human subjects ethically is exactly what IRBs were set up to do. Instead, Boghossian and Lindsay and Pluckrose have turned into the very things they claimed to be skewering.

They write and produce dense nonsense on platforms called "New Discourses" all about Marcuse and Critical Race Theory, and they spend almost all their time whining about their oppression and systemic biases. They are tedious whiny cultural commentators just like the postmodernists they claim to be critiquing.

Old 4th October 2021, 11:55 PM   #55
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Bleugh...

First off, who here thinks that post-modernist gender studies is a valuable field?

Certainly not me.

I have nothing but contempt and disdain for the whole field of Postmodernist Philosophy. Its full of pumped up self-important wankers who spend their lives pontificating on things little or no importance to anyone other than the rest of the pumped up self-important wankers. Most of them wouldn't know **** from clay even if they could smell it.
Old 5th October 2021, 12:02 AM   #56
angrysoba
Philosophile

Certainly not me.

I have nothing but contempt and disdain for the whole field of Postmodernist Philosophy. Its full of pumped up self-important wankers who spend their lives pontificating on things little or no importance to anyone other than the rest of the pumped up self-important wankers. Most of them wouldn't know **** from clay even if they could smell it.
But enough about Boghossian, Lindsay and Pluckrose…

Old 5th October 2021, 12:25 AM   #57
angrysoba
Philosophile

Anyway, I think Sokal had a much better point. Ultimately it was “hands off my discipline!” As he is an actual physics and mathematics professor and his points were to show that, no, maths and physics are NOT sexist, you dummies.

That said, Sokal is, I believe broadly supportive of progressive causes and is more concerned that the brain barbecue that is postmodernism is more of a distraction from actual serious social problems. In his book, Fashionable Nonsense, he decries ideas that “western medicine” is imperialist and argues that such stuff leads to rejections of vaccines.

On the other hand, Boghossian and Lindsay in particular (to a lesser extent Pluckrose) have fallen in with the weirdo right-wing conspiracy theorists that seem to hate left-wingers because of its emphasis on diversity and Lindsay has gone full on Alex Jones especially regarding vaccines.

Old 5th October 2021, 04:54 AM   #58
angrysoba
Philosophile

Maybe James Lindsay himself is trying to dare his collaborators to cancel him. His Twitter feed looks like the ramblings of a lunatic. Some people say he has gone full Alex Jones and also accused him of anti-semitism.

Here, for example...

Link

I don't know if Lindsay is being deliberately anti-semitic here, but he definitely appears to be bullying and intimidating a vaccine scientist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lindsay lampshade.jpg (34.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg lindsay lampshade 1.jpg (33.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg lindsay lampshade 2.jpg (32.9 KB, 9 views)

Old 5th October 2021, 10:12 AM   #59
Emily's Cat

I wouldn't trust an academic who attempts to publish a fake paper any more than I would trust a scientist who fakes evidence to claim scientific discovery ...
Sure, but that's not what I asked. Granted it was a little bit awkwardly worded, so let me try again.

1) The editors of the peer-reviewed publication can't tell the difference between a genuine paper and a fake paper full of gobbledygook rhetoric and jargon. Note that this isn't a matter of the data being faked, it's the nature of the complete incomprehensibility of the language.

2) Given that the editors of the publication can't tell genuine from fake, that also implies that they can't tell accurate conclusions from nonsense conclusions

3) Given that the editors of the publication have been shown to be unable to distinguish good work from crap work...

Do you trust any of the other papers published by that publication?
Old 5th October 2021, 10:18 AM   #60
Emily's Cat

Bleugh...

Next, who believed it was until Boghossian and Lindsay's Conceptual Penis destroyed its reputation?

Again, nobody. Literally nobody changed their mind. Why? Because those who thought it was a garbage field still thought it was a garbage field before and after. I mean I guess they just couldn't insert their Penis anywhere without having to pay first.
Mmm.... I don't think you're accurate in assuming that nobody thinks it's a valuable field. It's a topic taught in most major universities, it's a field with a LOT of work being done in it (mostly crappy ******** work IMO, but still), and there are a lot of papers being published on that topic. So clearly someone thinks it's valuable - valuable enough to have entire publications devoted to the topic. And those publications get referenced by people who use them as support for their ideology on the topic of gender.

I do, however, agree with your conclusion: nobody will change their minds. True believers will still be true believers, apostates will still be apostates. Personally, I think that this sort of demonstration *should* change people's minds... but I'm an apostate.
Old 5th October 2021, 11:02 AM   #61
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Bleugh...

So, if anything, B+L only succeeded in failing at hoaxing because the gender studies and post-modernists etc... could just say that the actual gender studies journal rejected them. Sokal himself noted this: "Finally, it seems even less likely that this paper would have been accepted at a more prestigious gender-studies journal, such as Gender & Society, Feminist Theory, Signs, Feminist Studies, or Men and Masculinities. The bias towards articles presupposing a particular moral and ideological orientation—and the associated dulling of the editors’ capacities for critical thinking—may well persist at this higher tier, but its effects will be more subtle than a hoax like this could demonstrate."

Link

So, I guess that's why they tried to get papers published to some of the bigger named journals. In many cases, they actually failed, so again, some of the post-modernists will see this as a victory even though I suspect that most of the field is indeed garbage.

That said, this is not remotely like Andrew Wakefield who did real harm, so the comparisons aren't worth making.

Also, I don't think Peter Boghossian should have been fired for his tedious attention-seeking antics. And guess what, he wasn't!

The idea that he was astonished at the idea that the peer reviewers are human subjects, though, just speaks to his contempt for them. Treating human subjects ethically is exactly what IRBs were set up to do. Instead, Boghossian and Lindsay and Pluckrose have turned into the very things they claimed to be skewering.

They write and produce dense nonsense on platforms called "New Discourses" all about Marcuse and Critical Race Theory, and they spend almost all their time whining about their oppression and systemic biases. They are tedious whiny cultural commentators just like the postmodernists they claim to be critiquing.
I hate when a good post gets lost at the bottom of a page change.

But also, this is the thing that really drives home how little the 'anti-cancel culture' group care about intellectual honesty. If this were a case study to test the hypothesis that post-modern gender studies will publish anything because it's all nonsense, it gives evidence that falsifies the hypothesis. It's a bad vehicle to attack either post modernism or gender studies, even if one disvalues those for other reasons.

Because it's attacking the acceptable target though, the fact it fails on it's own grounds doesn't matter to them.

Last edited by tyr_13; 5th October 2021 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Redudant 'though' removal
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2021, 11:47 AM   #62
mumblethrax
Species traitor

I don't actually have any idea what anyone ever means by "postmodern x". For the most part it seems to be used as an intensifier. How is "postmodern gender studies" different from "gender studies"? Or "postmodern cultural marxism" different from "cultural marxism"? The obvious answer is that it isn't. It's equivalent to "gender studies, BOOOO!" or "cultural marxism, BOOOO!"
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2021, 01:40 PM   #63
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
I don't actually have any idea what anyone ever means by "postmodern x". For the most part it seems to be used as an intensifier. How is "postmodern gender studies" different from "gender studies"? Or "postmodern cultural marxism" different from "cultural marxism"? The obvious answer is that it isn't. It's equivalent to "gender studies, BOOOO!" or "cultural marxism, BOOOO!"
Gender studies, almost all critical theories, and a handful of other cultural studies are all based on postmodern philosophy. They're all children of that movement.
Old 23rd October 2021, 11:22 PM   #64
angrysoba
Philosophile

I wonder if we are now going to find out what Peter Boghossian is going to do as the next stage of his "waging ideological warfare":

Will he be joining Ralson College?

He is telling people to donate to it instead of to universities that promote Diversity and Inclusivity
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bogo on New universities.jpg (26.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: png Bogo on New universities 1.png (37.3 KB, 6 views)

Old 23rd October 2021, 11:25 PM   #65
angrysoba
Philosophile

By the way, could anyone please explain to me what this Tweet by James Lindsay, and liked by Peter Boghossian means... It looks like notifications of crimes in progress in New York City, and James Lindsay has just labelled it "Social Justice has been achieved". Say, what...?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg James Lindsay Social Justice.jpg (25.2 KB, 16 views)

Old 23rd October 2021, 11:53 PM   #66
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if we are now going to find out what Peter Boghossian is going to do as the next stage of his "waging ideological warfare":

Will he be joining Ralson College?

He is telling people to donate to it instead of to universities that promote Diversity and Inclusivity
The DIE rot... that is very revealing.

Like some here, he opposes the idea that his white privilege should be impacted by education being for everyone regardless of race or ethnicity

By the way, could anyone please explain to me what this Tweet by James Lindsay, and liked by Peter Boghossian means... It looks like notifications of crimes in progress in New York City, and James Lindsay has just labelled it "Social Justice has been achieved". Say, what...?
Occam's Razor holds that "he's an idiot" is probably the most accurate answer.

Last edited by smartcooky; 23rd October 2021 at 11:55 PM.
Old 24th October 2021, 12:05 AM   #67
angrysoba
Philosophile

Ralston College ?

Is this a grift?

Very fancy website, but... who teaches there? What is it?

It seems to be the brain child of a "cultural commentator" called Stephen Blackwood, and established in...

...oh...

Quote:
Ralston College is an institution of higher education that offers various programs such as symposia.[29] Blackwood announced his plans to start the college in 2010, but as of June 2021 it has not yet admitted students to its proposed degree programs.[30][31][32] It anticipates focusing on the liberal arts,[33] and has declared a commitment to freedom of speech, enshrined in its motto "sermo liber vita ipsa" ("Free Speech is Life Itself").
Still, it has a prestigious line-up....

Quote:
Among the members of its Board of Visitors, are Vernon Smith, Heather Mac Donald, Harry Lewis, Ruth Wisse, Roger Kimball, and Jordan Peterson.
Who else? Well, there are some other big names, but they are dead now...

Quote:
Also, Freeman Dyson, Sir Roger Scruton, and Harold Bloom were listed as Visitors before their deaths
Still, there must be some courses available right...

Quote:
Anthony Daniels on Samuel Johnson's Rasselas

Andrew Doyle on Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus

Jay Parini on Robert Frost

with many others following soon.
Anthony Daniels is likely to be the guy who writes under the name of Theodore Dalrymple, rather than the actor who plays C3PO, although frankly I wouldn't be that surprised either way.

As for Andrew Doyle, he is that "hilarious" guy who has that parody Twitter account called Tatiana McGrath. He writes for Spiked! (obvs) and did drama at school, so he should be pretty good at teaching Shakespeare.

Anyone think this looks a little Trump University-esque?

No wonder Peter Bohossian is rattling the tin for them; he's obviously going to get a job there.

Old 24th October 2021, 01:15 AM   #68
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Ralston College ?

Is this a grift?

Very fancy website, but... who teaches there? What is it?

It seems to be the brain child of a "cultural commentator" called Stephen Blackwood, and established in...

...oh...

Still, it has a prestigious line-up....

Who else? Well, there are some other big names, but they are dead now...

Still, there must be some courses available right...

Anthony Daniels is likely to be the guy who writes under the name of Theodore Dalrymple, rather than the actor who plays C3PO, although frankly I wouldn't be that surprised either way.

As for Andrew Doyle, he is that "hilarious" guy who has that parody Twitter account called Tatiana McGrath. He writes for Spiked! (obvs) and did drama at school, so he should be pretty good at teaching Shakespeare.

Anyone think this looks a little Trump University-esque?

No wonder Peter Bohossian is rattling the tin for them; he's obviously going to get a job there.

Well it certainly looks like it.... a disenfranchised, self-cancelled university professor, railing against diverseness and inclusion, carrying the water for a non-existent university.

Last edited by smartcooky; 24th October 2021 at 01:39 AM.
Old 3rd November 2021, 04:13 AM   #69
angrysoba
Philosophile

Yep, pretty sure that Boghossian is now a GOP operative.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CRT Grifters.jpg (33.5 KB, 13 views)

Old 3rd November 2021, 04:22 AM   #70
angrysoba
Philosophile

Also, he now has plans to help open a new grifty university (yeah, we already heard about that, you may say. No, I mean another one...) while also calling for the ending of funding and tenure to real ones.

Link

Old 3rd November 2021, 05:04 AM   #71
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by dann View Post
... What I do know is that the Quran, for obvious reasons, says nothing whatsoever about the USA or suicide bombers, so I don't find it at all unlikely that the hatred that some Muslim extremists have for the USA and their willingness to sacrifice their own lives in a struggle against the USA may actually have something to do with "the consequences of U.S. foreign policy." Otherwise, why attack the USA and not, for instance, Iceland of Finland, which are much more secularized countries than the USA - and much easier targets?
To answer your questions, I suggest reading about the dynamics and aftermath of WWI in the Middle East, particularly in the reaction to the West, for the first time in centuries showing itself suddenly far superior in warfare, a shocking and profoundly transformative event, giving rise to schools of thought that are the foundational source for everyone from bin Laden to Khomeini. I also recommend reading what Muslim authors in the West and in Muslim nations say are the tenets of the faith with respect to war and peace. Just in the way of example, Mohamed was of the opinion that no treaty with any enemy should last more than 10 years, and be used to prepare for winning the next conflict. This jibes to a T with the nuclear treaty signed with Iran in its day.

I am of the opinion that words do matter, that cover rhetoric from a fanatic peanut gallery inspires absolutists of any stripe, and that Jan 6 and Islamic terrorism meet the exact same criteria for violence.

Edited by Agatha:  Edited for rule 11. Do not bring up matters of forum management outside the FMF section.

Last edited by Agatha; 13th November 2021 at 01:06 PM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2021, 05:23 AM   #72
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

I had heard of him, and knew of him as a grifter who has been trying to jump on various bandwagons to get clout. He's like Gad Saad in that he's always thought of himself as part of that well-known grifter club, the Intellectual Dark Web, but he's been left out because he wasn't interesting enough. LOL!

He's been trying to piss people off at his university for years by inviting people like Sargon of Akkad to give talks. Then when students react negatively he's been claiming cancel culture. It's been suspected that he has been trying to get himself fired for years, but when it didn't work he resigned.

I doubt anyone would give him a job in a university now, and he's not an A-lister in the griftersphere, so he'll have to make do with appearances on Epoch Times, Newsmax, and some other right-wing crank outlets from now on.
My take on this is he's a day late and a dollar short to jump onto the "cancelled lib professor becomes reactionary weirdo" bandwagon. The Weinsteins have that grift perfected, and I really don't see market demand for another.
Old 3rd November 2021, 05:28 AM   #73
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Certainly not me.

I rather like that. It matches my take on part of what postmodernism has been taken to be. Unfortunately, this beast is ill-defined, at least if I take the Britannica write up google gave me, as I wished to review what this term means to others.

However, and taking Britannica as example (no links; writing on a tablet and it sux), I would be more than happy to support a number of the points listed in the article, point 6 on language being a wonderful place to start. Briefly, it is trivial to show that language refers to conceptual space, and has no strict 1-to-1 with physical reality. A worthwhile pending debate for all who pride themselves as skeptics.
Old 4th November 2021, 03:50 PM   #74
d4m10n
Philosopher

Yep, pretty sure that Boghossian is now a GOP operative.
Is Rufo really saying that flipping the VA gov office away from the newly incumbent party in the White House is somehow an ideological victory? If so, he should know that it happens every 4-8 years or so.
Old 5th November 2021, 08:41 PM   #75
angrysoba
Philosophile

Is Rufo really saying that flipping the VA gov office away from the newly incumbent party in the White House is somehow an ideological victory? If so, he should know that it happens every 4-8 years or so.
Oh, he certainly believes so. And just to make sure there is no doubt, Peter Boghossian is now supporting someone called Blake Masters for the Senate in Arizona, while simultaneously clutching his pearls at the thought he is a right-wing tool...

Who is Blake Masters?

Quote:
Masters was chosen by Thiel, among other employees of his, to help serve on the presidential transition of Donald Trump in November 2016.[11][12] In October 2019, Masters suggested he'd launch a primary challenge against Republican U.S. Senator Martha McSally, expressing concern McSally was not a good candidate, citing the 2018 United States Senate election in Arizona, which Masters said was a "winnable" race.

...Masters officially entered the race on July 12, 2021.[15] Promoting himself as "an America first conservative,[12][16] Masters announced a platform of opposition to H-1B visas and criticism of Big Tech monopolies. He called election integrity the "top issue" of his campaign, adding that while Biden was the Congressionally-certified president, "it's really hard to know" the winner of the 2020 US presidential election.[17] Masters supports the audit of the vote in Maricopa County
Link

Seriously?!? Does it get any more to the right than that?

Old 5th November 2021, 08:42 PM   #76
angrysoba
Philosophile

Oh, sorry, this is Boghossian's "right-wing? Moi?" tweet...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boghossian right wing tool.jpg (32.8 KB, 9 views)

Old 14th November 2021, 04:14 PM   #77
d4m10n
Philosopher

The first poll answer "Get a job at another university because he is an academic who cares about teaching" is the least chosen one, but it may turn out to be the correct one.

https://twitter.com/peterboghossian/...47152994668547
Old 14th November 2021, 05:35 PM   #78
angrysoba
Philosophile

The first poll answer "Get a job at another university because he is an academic who cares about teaching" is the least chosen one, but it may turn out to be the correct one.

https://twitter.com/peterboghossian/...47152994668547
LOL! If they ever end up with any real students of course.

Of course, this is not yet an accredited university, doesn't have any buildings, and barely has any teaching staff.

I wouldn't be surprised if it all ends up in lawsuits and in-fighting.

Old 14th November 2021, 06:18 PM   #79
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
It's also worth noting that the cause quoted for his investigation by the school board, was that he "violated ethical guidelines on human-subjects research". Also the ban from doing more research was only until he "completed training and could demonstrate that he understood how to protect the rights of human subjects".
The humans he subjected to his research were the editors and peer-reviewers where he submitted the bogus papers. I would put the eye roll there, but you might think I was kidding.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2021, 07:32 PM   #80
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
The humans he subjected to his research were the editors and peer-reviewers where he submitted the bogus papers. I would put the eye roll there, but you might think I was kidding.
Why are editors and peer reviewers exempt from IRB consideration?

The problem here is that they attempted to make this a "study". If they were simply writing some kind of expose, maybe they would have been okay, but if your "research" involves deliberately deceiving editors and peer reviewers, wasting their time and then holding them up for mockery afterwards, you cannot be surprised if an IRB frowns on that.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events