IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags transgender incidents , transgender issues , transgender rights

Old 17th September 2021, 09:52 AM   #361
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
EmilyCat doesn't want penises in the Woman's Space.
SuburbanTurkey say having a penis doesn't stop you from being a woman.

Solve for X.
Even if they carefully side-stepped all the disagreements about language, she'd still want a penis-free space for people born without penises and he'd still be arguing against it on grounds of inclusion.
Old 17th September 2021, 09:56 AM   #362
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Just for the record, it should be stated that the two people identified are representatives, not special. I'm pretty sure EC and I are almost identical in substance, differing primarily in style.
Old 17th September 2021, 09:58 AM   #363
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Even if they carefully side-stepped all the disagreements about language, she'd still want a penis-free space for people born without penises and he'd still be arguing against it on grounds of inclusion.
I didn't say there is no further argument.

I said there is no further argument anyone is really trying to have. Or knows how to have. Or whatever. A little of both probably.

Again we all know were we stand. Just nobody knows how to get to anywhere else.

"Are penises attached to women less of a threat than penises attached to men and if so how do we adjust the THREATCON levels of women's rest rooms to accommodate that" is where we are out and Lord Jesus is sounds so absurd you just say like that.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 10:01 AM   #364
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
I was more interested in the flip than the question to be honest, but yes I basically agree with what you posted.

There are certain spaces where all parties implicitly consent to exposure, especially the examples you have given.

There seems to be a problem with seeing genitals in those very spaces you mentioned though, what's that about?
The problem in those spaces is in seeing genitals of the opposite sex.

When a male goes to a "men's shower", there is an implicit acknowledgement that they may see the genitalia of other males. It's part and parcel of the space itself, where multiple people being nude while bathing is a fundamental element of the area's functionality. So those males who make use of the shower are aware ahead of time that there are likely to be other males in there who are likely to be nude. By using the facility, there is an implicit consent to 1) seeing the genitalia of other males, even if they don't really want to and 2) having their genitalia seen by other males, even if they don't want to. As individuals, they have the ability to avert their own eyes if they don't wish to see another male's wedding tackle, and there's always the option of themself with a towel if they really don't want their bits seen. But by and large, there's a fundamental agreement that this is a space where other males are likely to be naked as well, and that such nudity is appropriate in that setting.

It's a bit different, however, when the facility changes the rules without the consent of the customers. If that same shower facility unilaterally decided that the "men's showers" are available to all sexes, that changes the dynamic.

If all of the males who are used to using that facility are fully informed of the change, and fully acknowledge that this is now a unisex facility, then they can make a decision about whether or not to use that facility. They can make a decision about whether they are comfortable seeing naked females in that space, as well as whether they are comfortable being seen while naked by females.

But if they aren't fully informed, and suddenly there's a naked female walking through the area... that's likely to cause some concerns. If the male customers are told that the female is entitled to use that space because they 'identify as a man' that's also likely to cause some discomfort. It breaks the pre-existing social agreement with respect to the expected dynamic in that space.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'll also add that regardless of the "feminazi" caricature, virtually all feminists and non-feminist females understand and fully acknowledge that males and females are NOT physically and biologically equal. There are objective and real differences in the anatomy of males and females. Males are larger, stronger, and more aggressive. One might question how much of the aggression is socially instilled, but at least some of it is a direct result of testosterone acting on the body and brain. Testosterone is a steroid; steroids increase aggression. It is known.

So the swapping of sexes may still lead to the same principle of where it is and is not appropriate to see other people naked, as well as which sexes are appropriate in which scenarios. But the actual impact on males and females is different.

Males have a higher rate of violence and sexual aggression. They commit more violent crimes, perpetrate more domestic violence, and engage in more sexual assaults and rapes than females do. Not all males by any means, not even most males. But significantly more than would be found among females.

So if you take any random set of strangers, one male and one female, they will represent different levels of risk. A male will have a higher likelihood of being a danger than a female will. When you add the physical disparity into the mix, it ends up being quite unequal.

A female has a low likelihood of assaulting another female, but if that female does assault them, given that they are of relatively comparable size and strength, the victim has a reasonable likelihood of being able to fight off their attacker and defend themselves.

A female has a low likelihood of assaulting a male, but if that female does assault them, given that the disparity in relative size and strength, the victim has a very high likelihood of being able to fight off their attacker and defend themselves.

A male has a moderate likelihood of assaulting another male, but if that male does assault them, given that they are of relatively comparable size and strength, the victim has a reasonable likelihood of being able to fight off their attacker and defend themselves.

A male has a moderate likelihood of assaulting a female, but if that male does assault them, given that the disparity in relative size and strength, the victim has a very low likelihood of being able to fight off their attacker and defend themselves.

Think about it like Pit Bulls and Papillions. They have unequal levels of innate aggressiveness, as well as unequal levels of strength. The likelihood of a Pit Bull being an aggressor is much higher than the likelihood of a Papillion being an aggressor. But in the event that they do start something, two Pit Bulls have an even chance against each other, two Papillions have an even chance against each other... but in a fight between a Pit Bull and a Papillion, the smart bet is that the Papillion is going down pretty fast.
Old 17th September 2021, 10:06 AM   #365
d4m10n
Philosopher

"Are penises attached to women less of a threat than penises attached to men..."
I'd say the answer is probably "Yes," assuming HRT lowers free testosterone levels sufficiently.

(I've just finished up this book about how testosterone effects mammals, so that probably plays a significant role in my thinking here.)

That said, I stand by my earlier claim that the people for whom the spaces were set aside should be the ones who decide when to open them up. It's sort of ridiculous to see majority male legislatures making decisions about spaces they've never used and don't really understand.
Old 17th September 2021, 10:08 AM   #366
Emily's Cat

Is it more of a threat though? or is it just perceived as more of a threat?
Both. It's definitely perceived as more of a threat, but that perception isn't based on nothing at all. It's based on eons of experience that indicates that males are significantly more likely to be flashers and peeping toms, they're more likely to try to intimidate females with the implied threat of coercive or forced sexual intimacy, they're more likely to sexually assault or rape a female.

Given that they've already exposed themselves in a situation where it isn't generally acceptable, it suggests an increased level of risk.
Old 17th September 2021, 10:12 AM   #367
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Are you discounting Mary Anne Case? She definitely sees a problem with keeping the men's rooms separate.

ETA: Found the full PDF.
Her biggest complaint seems to be inadequate facilities for women (which I'll definitely grant is valid), and her preferred solution seems individual restrooms that segregate down to the level of the individual (also makes sense, if cost isn't an obstacle). Yeah, she seems to be opposed to sex segregation on principle, but it seems... kind of half-hearted, to be honest. And I doubt it's very widely shared.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 10:21 AM   #368
Emily's Cat

I don't think "Well it's there but it's not out so don't worry about" is whether side is going to accept this going to.
To be fair, there are a WHOLE LOT of situations where if the transwoman is even moderately passing and their penis is not visible, I am okay with saying there's nothing to worry about.

It's when the penis is visible in spaces that are supposed to be for females that it's a problem. And when said penis is attached to a person who looks like a regular male - even if they've grown some boobs - that it's a big problem. At that point, females are being asked to allow any and all penis-havers into their spaces because there is no way to disambiguate a transwoman from any other male.
Old 17th September 2021, 10:25 AM   #369
Emily's Cat

Because we are using the word "segregation" when we mean something more akin to "quarantine."

We aren't trying to keep the genders/sexes separate, we are trying to protect one from the other.

The base idea here is that humans with penises are inherently dangerous and predatory and that women need spaces where they are not at for protection.

So a lot of this is one subgroup trying to go "No I don't count because I'm special."

We can't pretend this discussion exists (or indeed would make sense) in any other context.

That's what a lot of people are dancing around.

How much of the pro-trans argument if functionally: "No you see okay I'm a man... but not like a man man. See it's a coded word meaning I'm not a threat." If you think about that's why they probably react so strongly to being assume to they are a rapist in waiting to the exact same degree it is perfectly socially acceptable to assume such of a cis-man. "I'm sorry did you hear me? I just said I was one of the good ones."

Basically, and I've said this before, it's like we are trying to define the three genders as woman, man but defines as a woman so she's one of the good ones, and rapist.

Seriously step back and realize how many of the pieces fall into place if you rerun this conversation and realize how many people are using man and rapist interchangeably.
Walk it back from "rapist" to "creeper" and you're pretty much on point.

And by "creeper" I mean a person who is highly likely to view females as objects for their sexual titillation, and to believe that them viewing females in general as objects for sexual ideation and fantasy and for leering at and skeezing on is perfectly fine, regardless of whether those females want to be viewed in that way or not.
Old 17th September 2021, 10:31 AM   #370
Emily's Cat

Not exactly though. ST is arguing for "special treatment" for some penis-bearers, while accepting the general exclusion of penises from the penis-free space.

The problem is that the special treatment is based on nothing but some magic words. And by allowing those magic words to grant special treatment for some penis-bearers, it effectively allows ALL penis-bearers to get into the penis-free zone, because the magic words aren't actually magic, they're just words, and they don't have any binding power.
Old 17th September 2021, 10:33 AM   #371
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Just for the record, it should be stated that the two people identified are representatives, not special. I'm pretty sure EC and I are almost identical in substance, differing primarily in style.
Yeah, I get that. For all intents, in this discussion, I've been the most consistent representative of the female perspective, and ST has been the most steadfast banner-bearer for the activist side.

Part of me still laughs at that, given that ST is neither female nor transgender, so really doesn't speak for either side in this conflict.
Old 17th September 2021, 10:34 AM   #372
Emily's Cat

"Are penises attached to women less of a threat than penises attached to men and if so how do we adjust the THREATCON levels of women's rest rooms to accommodate that" is where we are out and Lord Jesus is sounds so absurd you just say like that.
Also, how do we determine whether a given penis is attached to a man or a woman in the first place, so we can prevent our THREATCON level from getting hacked?
Old 17th September 2021, 10:38 AM   #373
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I'd say the answer is probably "Yes," assuming HRT lowers free testosterone levels sufficiently.
And that of course raises the problem that "transwoman" is used for such a broad range of people, including those who simply declare themselves to be women.
Old 17th September 2021, 10:43 AM   #374
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Well that takes us back to "People are saying one thing but arguing for another" problem.

"Nobody is saying that you can just say you're a woman and walk into the women's room.... but I will argue against any functional way a determination could be made."

So it's yet another thing that nobody is saying but a lot of people are "saying."

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 17th September 2021 at 10:47 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 10:44 AM   #375
Emily's Cat

(I've just finished up this book about how testosterone effects mammals, so that probably plays a significant role in my thinking here.)

That said, I stand by my earlier claim that the people for whom the spaces were set aside should be the ones who decide when to open them up. It's sort of ridiculous to see majority male legislatures making decisions about spaces they've never used and don't really understand.
I'd say ONLY in the case that the "woman" penis-bearer in question has taken sufficient amounts of testosterone blockers to have a material affect.

That said, a high number of transgender identified males do not take testosterone blockers, they only add estrogen so they can grow boobs and redistribute fat. Generally speaking, transgender identified males commit violent and sexual crimes at the same rate as any other males.

I would say that the Blanchard categorizations, while not perfect, are useful here. Generally speaking, there's little to no risk from HSTS transgender identified males, but the risk from AGP transgender identified males is pretty much the same as the risk from males in general. The gender identification has no impact on their behavior. Indeed, AGP males may arguably present a higher risk, given that paraphilias often cluster, and AGP tends to be comorbid with NPD.

For the record, based on what they have disclosed about themself, Boudicca is HSTS. And as I've said before, I don't have any objection to Boudicca being in female spaces - they have expressed compassion and concern for females, they have expressed the same worries about some transwomen who wish to have access to female spaces.

If we were able to take the policy aspect out of this discussion, I doubt that Boudicca would have any trouble being generally accepted by females as a fellow woman, in pretty much all situations.
Old 17th September 2021, 11:04 AM   #376
TomB
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Boudicca90 View Post
It's also true that her criminal history doesn't help the matter. I feel like that would be a factor regardless of gender in their decision.
Her criminal history does undermine her credibility and give more credence to the people who complained about her. But it still boils down to a he said/she said (or maybe more accurately she said/she said) situation.

This situation, regardless of the result, illustrates a real world problem.

When this first came to light, people took sides. Some, including some here, immediately wrote the people who complained off as trans-phobic. Others, also including some here, immediately assumed that this was a man exploiting a loophole and/or a person behaving inappropriately.

Neither of these positions was based on any material evidence. Without some sort of verifiable evidence we can't really say for certain what did or did not happen. But given the nature of the location where this occurred, such evidence is unlikely to exist. It would probably actually be a crime to create such evidence to document what happened as it would involve taking video of naked people without consent. If nothing else, the presence of cameras would have a ruinous effect on the spa's business.

So lets say this person was doing nothing wrong. While she doesn't have to prove that in court, she now has a reputation because many people will believe the person who complained.

If she was doing something wrong: perhaps she is really an exhibitionist man, what can you do about it? You can't document anything that they did wrong, you can only complain. And if you do that, you are likely to be labeled as a bigot.

The point is that, even if LondonJohn is right and there are vanishingly few men who will exploit the situation, enforcing the access rules becomes very difficult to impossible.

If a rule can't be enforced, then it is pointless. Which leads me to the conclusion that if segregation of some spaces by sex is deemed unacceptable, the only option is complete desegregation. I say this because gender segregation, in my opinion, can't be enforced.

So I find myself forced into agreement with Earthborn that the future is individual private spaces. Which doesn't really bother me, but, as Meadmaker points out, my Planet Fitness membership probably wouldn't stay at $10/month.
TomB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 12:07 PM   #377
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TomB View Post
If she was doing something wrong: perhaps she is really an exhibitionist man, what can you do about it?
She could be 100% trans in every diagnostic and legal sense and also be an exhibitionist, in which case exhibitionist titillation would be legally protected in Los Angeles spas.
Old 17th September 2021, 12:21 PM   #378
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TomB View Post
If she was doing something wrong:
No one alleges that Darren was doing anything other than being naked and, more importantly I think, seeing naked women, which would be perfectly normal if Darren is a woman.

It goes to something that comes up over and over again. Female privacy advocates say they don't want any males in the female naked spaces. Trans inclusives say that it doesn't matter as long as they behave acceptably. The two positions are irreconcilable. *To the female privacy advocates (including me) the issue isn't behavior, it's biological sex. They don't want to be naked in the presence of a male.

"Can she put the towel over her eyes?

*Eta:. Although there is some willingness to compromise. That's different.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 17th September 2021 at 01:21 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 01:07 PM   #379
p0lka
Master Poster

I just want to clear some things up, since I've been brought back up in conversation again.

I've never thought SuburbanTurkey is a transphobe. In fact, he's one of the few true allies we trans people have on this board. Along with Archie, LondonJohn, Earthborn, and a couple others. They aren't always perfect in their views, but they are sure a hell of a lot more accepting and tolerant than most on here.

Secondly when it comes to the 'biological female' thing, while I do see myself as female and always refer to myself as such when I'm asked, I DON'T see myself as exactly the same as a cis female. Obviously I lack a female reproductive system and I have a Y chromosome, but ultimately I don't see that as mattering. I won't be referred to as a male. And my penis isn't a 'female penis', it's just a penis, so I don't know what people are talking about there.

... snip.
As I've posted, I am happy to treat people according to how they want to be treated, gender is a variable so whatever makes you feel good in yourself is good.
It's the denying reality that I get stuck with.

XX and XY to define sex isn't just a thing we came up with for humans, it's all over the animal kingdom.

Do you want to redefine that?
I don't see how that would make any logical sense as what would you use to redefine it? What constants are there that you could use as a base?
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 01:40 PM   #380
p0lka
Master Poster

"Eeek a penis!"
"No you see it's a penis attached to a woman"
"Oh... whew I was worried there for a second"
haha, it does seem a bit inconsistent.
I'd have thought in that context the solution would be not to be bothered by nakedness.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 01:59 PM   #381
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

haha, it does seem a bit inconsistent.
I'd have thought in that context the solution would be not to be bothered by nakedness.
I know you were being a bit tongue in cheek, but your solution, or variations on it, are actually common suggestions.

In other words, the solution is to tell women they shouldn't care about the things they care about.

And if you ever convince them, I'll go along.
Old 17th September 2021, 02:01 PM   #382
p0lka
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
The problem in those spaces is in seeing genitals of the opposite sex.

When a male goes to a "men's shower", there is an implicit acknowledgement that they may see the genitalia of other males. It's part and parcel of the space itself, where multiple people being nude while bathing is a fundamental element of the area's functionality. So those males who make use of the shower are aware ahead of time that there are likely to be other males in there who are likely to be nude. By using the facility, there is an implicit consent to 1) seeing the genitalia of other males, even if they don't really want to and 2) having their genitalia seen by other males, even if they don't want to. As individuals, they have the ability to avert their own eyes if they don't wish to see another male's wedding tackle, and there's always the option of themself with a towel if they really don't want their bits seen. But by and large, there's a fundamental agreement that this is a space where other males are likely to be naked as well, and that such nudity is appropriate in that setting.

It's a bit different, however, when the facility changes the rules without the consent of the customers. If that same shower facility unilaterally decided that the "men's showers" are available to all sexes, that changes the dynamic.

If all of the males who are used to using that facility are fully informed of the change, and fully acknowledge that this is now a unisex facility, then they can make a decision about whether or not to use that facility. They can make a decision about whether they are comfortable seeing naked females in that space, as well as whether they are comfortable being seen while naked by females.

But if they aren't fully informed, and suddenly there's a naked female walking through the area... that's likely to cause some concerns. If the male customers are told that the female is entitled to use that space because they 'identify as a man' that's also likely to cause some discomfort. It breaks the pre-existing social agreement with respect to the expected dynamic in that space.
This point could be solved by making everything unisex, everyone is informed, that is an easy solution.

I'll also add that regardless of the "feminazi" caricature, virtually all feminists and non-feminist females understand and fully acknowledge that males and females are NOT physically and biologically equal. There are objective and real differences in the anatomy of males and females. Males are larger, stronger, and more aggressive. One might question how much of the aggression is socially instilled, but at least some of it is a direct result of testosterone acting on the body and brain. Testosterone is a steroid; steroids increase aggression. It is known.

So the swapping of sexes may still lead to the same principle of where it is and is not appropriate to see other people naked, as well as which sexes are appropriate in which scenarios. But the actual impact on males and females is different.

Males have a higher rate of violence and sexual aggression. They commit more violent crimes, perpetrate more domestic violence, and engage in more sexual assaults and rapes than females do. Not all males by any means, not even most males. But significantly more than would be found among females.

So if you take any random set of strangers, one male and one female, they will represent different levels of risk. A male will have a higher likelihood of being a danger than a female will. When you add the physical disparity into the mix, it ends up being quite unequal.

A female has a low likelihood of assaulting another female, but if that female does assault them, given that they are of relatively comparable size and strength, the victim has a reasonable likelihood of being able to fight off their attacker and defend themselves.

A female has a low likelihood of assaulting a male, but if that female does assault them, given that the disparity in relative size and strength, the victim has a very high likelihood of being able to fight off their attacker and defend themselves.

A male has a moderate likelihood of assaulting another male, but if that male does assault them, given that they are of relatively comparable size and strength, the victim has a reasonable likelihood of being able to fight off their attacker and defend themselves.

A male has a moderate likelihood of assaulting a female, but if that male does assault them, given that the disparity in relative size and strength, the victim has a very low likelihood of being able to fight off their attacker and defend themselves.

Think about it like Pit Bulls and Papillions. They have unequal levels of innate aggressiveness, as well as unequal levels of strength. The likelihood of a Pit Bull being an aggressor is much higher than the likelihood of a Papillion being an aggressor. But in the event that they do start something, two Pit Bulls have an even chance against each other, two Papillions have an even chance against each other... but in a fight between a Pit Bull and a Papillion, the smart bet is that the Papillion is going down pretty fast.
Your second point makes me think that my solution to your first point isn't as simple as I thought it was. I shall have another think.
Old 17th September 2021, 02:19 PM   #383
p0lka
Master Poster

I know you were being a bit tongue in cheek, but your solution, or variations on it, are actually common suggestions.

In other words, the solution is to tell women they shouldn't care about the things they care about.

And if you ever convince them, I'll go along.
It wasn't directed at women, more that I think people shouldn't be offended or care about things that make no difference.

Being offended is basically allowing someone or something else to give you negative emotions, why would you give them that control?

Last edited by p0lka; 17th September 2021 at 02:22 PM.
Old 17th September 2021, 03:15 PM   #384
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

It wasn't directed at women, more that I think people shouldn't be offended or care about things that make no difference.

Being offended is basically allowing someone or something else to give you negative emotions, why would you give them that control?
It's not offended. It is anxious or nervous.

And why should that be? I have concluded that it is instinctive. It cannot be helped. There are plenty of aspects of human behavior that don't actually "make sense" as a rational, thought out, thing. Modesty, which is at the root of the anxiety, is one of those.

It has evolutionary origins, and makes sense in that context, but at this point in the evolution of human beings it is just an instinct, but instincts cannot just be erased. They are human nature.

So, I believe, people who say that we just shouldn't care about nudity are fighting human nature, and, specifically, fighting female emotions. When someone demands that a female explain herself and why she thinks that it's not ok for Darren to walk around naked, they are basically telling the female that they should ignore their humanity.

If I'm right, you will never convince the majority of females that frequent mixed sex nudity is something that ought to just be treated as no big deal. From what I have seen, cultures that have more common nudity in mixed sex situations only allow it in specific, somewhat ritualized, settings. I don't think that's coincidence.
Old 17th September 2021, 03:17 PM   #385
Louden Wilde
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
The progression seems to have gone:

1. Gender Roles are Social Constructs

to

2. Gender is a Social Construct

ending at

Biological Sex is a Social Construct

As I noted earlier, people have pointed 3 basic positions:

1. Sex (male vs female) important factor;
Gender roles (stereotypes associated with those sexes) legitimate / should be reinforced

2. Sex not important (or even a social construct);
Gender roles (arising from brain only) legitimate / should be reinforced

3. Sex (male vs female) important factor;
Gender roles not legitimate/should be discouraged.

1. is typically the right wing/conservative/religious position - even in places like Iran, where it's preferable to be trans than same-sex attracted.

2. Is the trans-activist position - being pushed on the left (and increasingly adopted as official position) in the US, UK, NZ and other countries.

3. Is the feminist/gender-critical position
Louden Wilde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 03:17 PM   #386
Emily's Cat

This point could be solved by making everything unisex, everyone is informed, that is an easy solution.

Your second point makes me think that my solution to your first point isn't as simple as I thought it was. I shall have another think.
Appreciated.

Not so much with respect to being offended as a generality... but sometimes thing that make no difference to you make a really big difference to someone else.

For an average height person, the grocery store shelves are of little import, they have no bearing on their lives. For a short person like me, the height of the shelves means I end up having to ask strangers to get things for me because I cannot reach them myself.

For average people, traffic lights being red, yellow, and green is not a problem, and has no bearing on their lives. For a color-blind person like my male parent, the fact that DoT adds extra blue to the green light so that they can tell the difference between red and green at night makes a MASSIVE difference.

Similarly, while there's lots of variation involved, it's also generally true that males have little concern about single-sex spaces, and the nudity of other people is of little concern to them. For heterosexual males, the possibility of female nudity is at the very worst a matter of some titillation. For females, even setting aside the potential of ending up serving as a titillating object against our will... there are practical concerns like menses involved as well, where having a male around when we're showering with blood running down our legs is just not all that enticing.
Old 17th September 2021, 04:07 PM   #387
Boudicca90
Muse

Yeah, I get that. For all intents, in this discussion, I've been the most consistent representative of the female perspective, and ST has been the most steadfast banner-bearer for the activist side.

Part of me still laughs at that, given that ST is neither female nor transgender, so really doesn't speak for either side in this conflict.
Despite SuburbanTurkey's cisgender status, he has done a good enough job representing us here that I'm willing to give him an honorary transhood, if he so desires.
Boudicca90 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 04:12 PM   #388
Boudicca90
Muse

As I've posted, I am happy to treat people according to how they want to be treated, gender is a variable so whatever makes you feel good in yourself is good.
It's the denying reality that I get stuck with.

XX and XY to define sex isn't just a thing we came up with for humans, it's all over the animal kingdom.

Do you want to redefine that?
I don't see how that would make any logical sense as what would you use to redefine it? What constants are there that you could use as a base?
Sex is also variable. There are configurations of chromosomes like XXY, XXX, X, XYY, and so forth. And other species use completely different non-XY sex-determining systems.

Here's a good video I watched recently explaining it: https://youtu.be/of7vrIIcTa0

Once again the platypus is a freak.
Boudicca90 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 04:18 PM   #389
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, so in your opinion, only ciswomen, transwomen and transmen are properly-qualified to formulate/hold/offer opinions on these sorts of matters? Anyone else is worthy of being "laughed" about?

Says it all, really. QED.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 04:29 PM   #390
p0lka
Master Poster

And why should that be? I have concluded that it is instinctive. It cannot be helped. There are plenty of aspects of human behavior that don't actually "make sense" as a rational, thought out, thing. Modesty, which is at the root of the anxiety, is one of those.

It has evolutionary origins, and makes sense in that context, but at this point in the evolution of human beings it is just an instinct, but instincts cannot just be erased. They are human nature.

So, I believe, people who say that we just shouldn't care about nudity are fighting human nature, and, specifically, fighting female emotions. When someone demands that a female explain herself and why she thinks that it's not ok for Darren to walk around naked, they are basically telling the female that they should ignore their humanity.

If I'm right, you will never convince the majority of females that frequent mixed sex nudity is something that ought to just be treated as no big deal. From what I have seen, cultures that have more common nudity in mixed sex situations only allow it in specific, somewhat ritualized, settings. I don't think that's coincidence.
I agree that a lot of emotional stuff is instinctive, which is my point. I don't agree that it cannot be helped though, which is also my point.

There are many societies, or if you will, places where people grow up with different rules about what offends or creates negative emotions in that place, not every human agrees on it.
If it was purely instinctive, with no ability to change anything, then why is there so much disagreement about what is ok or not?
Old 17th September 2021, 04:30 PM   #391
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Similarly, while there's lots of variation involved, it's also generally true that males have little concern about single-sex spaces, and the nudity of other people is of little concern to them. For heterosexual males, the possibility of female nudity is at the very worst a matter of some titillation. For females, even setting aside the potential of ending up serving as a titillating object against our will... there are practical concerns like menses involved as well, where having a male around when we're showering with blood running down our legs is just not all that enticing.

Back to this anti-male trope again, I see.

It's really not surprising to me (by now) that you clearly consider no hetero cismen to be sufficiently a) well-informed, b) intelligent, and c) capable of competent analysis.... to be able to think with their brains rather than their penises.

Oh and once again: maybe pause and think for a moment about all the female legislators and justices who have significantly contributed to the creation and application of all these new trans-rights laws that you so despise and oppose. Do you perhaps think that some/all of these females were coerced (or worse) by their male colleagues (who, in your world, were all thinking with their penises too)? Or is it maybe just possible that they considered all the factors and all the evidence, and - together with their male colleagues - came to sensible and measured decisions?

*cue Round 7822004 of "Handwaving, dismissing and rationalisation Olympics", probably accompanied by wearily-predictable "Policy capture!" claims*
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 04:35 PM   #392
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

So..... where should transwomen change/shower/etc in - say - a gym which has men's changing rooms, women's changing rooms, and a small disabled changing room?

There are only five possible options:

1) She should use the women's changing rooms
2) She should use the men's changing rooms
3) She should use the disabled changing rooms
4) She should have to turn up changed, and leave without changing/showering
5) She should not be allowed to use the gym at all.

You see a problem with (1). I invite you to examine options (2)-(5). You may perhaps figure out the issues arising from those other options (you may not though, of course).
Old 17th September 2021, 05:02 PM   #393
TomB
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
So..... where should transwomen change/shower/etc in - say - a gym which has men's changing rooms, women's changing rooms, and a small disabled changing room?

You see a problem with (1). I invite you to examine options (2)-(5). You may perhaps figure out the issues arising from those other options (you may not though, of course).
There are problems with all five options you present. Which is an indicator that our current infrastructure is not designed in a way that can address the problem in a satisfactory manner.

Which leads me to the idea that instead of trying to fit square pegs into round holes we should be looking, in the long term, towards a new infrastructure that does address the issues. Yes, we have to make due in the short term, but regardless , each of those options (or some variant thereof) is only a stopgap.
TomB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 05:11 PM   #394
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

FWIW, the Chinese seem to be reverting to 'older ideas' about gender/sex, but then as BIPOC they have the right to do it...

Quote:
BEIJING — China's government banned effeminate men on TV and told broadcasters Thursday to promote "revolutionary culture," broadening a campaign to tighten control over business and society and enforce official morality.

President Xi Jinping has called for a "national rejuvenation," with tighter Communist Party control of business, education, culture and religion. Companies and the public are under increasing pressure to align with its vision for a more powerful China and healthier society.

The party has reduced children's access to online games and is trying to discourage what it sees as unhealthy attention to celebrities.

Broadcasters must "resolutely put an end to sissy men and other abnormal esthetics," the TV regulator said, using an insulting slang term for effeminate men — niang pao, or literally, "girlie guns."

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/02/10336...icial-morality

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 05:13 PM   #395
p0lka
Master Poster

Sex is also variable. There are configurations of chromosomes like XXY, XXX, X, XYY, and so forth. And other species use completely different non-XY sex-determining systems.

Here's a good video I watched recently explaining it: https://youtu.be/of7vrIIcTa0

Once again the platypus is a freak.
Thanks for the vid, I enjoyed watching it.
It doesn't really say sex is a variable though?

It talks about the different ways various things have evolved a difference between male and female over time, life has a lot of variety.

But at each point the difference is a physical thing in that particular lifeform.

Temperature, for instance can influence sex in reptiles I think? But the fact that it can influence sex means there's a difference to be influenced.

Anyway, we are mammals so reptiles aren't that relevant.

platypus are freaks,
and that other thing called a kidney? enchilada? something like that?

give you nightmares.
Old 17th September 2021, 05:23 PM   #396
d4m10n
Philosopher

Personally, I use the single-person unisex changing room. Why is that not the preferred solution here?
Old 17th September 2021, 05:38 PM   #397
p0lka
Master Poster

Personally, I use the single-person unisex changing room. Why is that not the preferred solution here?
offtopic

* p0lka puts on conspiracy hat

Think how much money companies could save by convincing everyone they don't need partitions in their changing areas, hmm.

* p0lka removes conspiracy hat.

Last edited by p0lka; 17th September 2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old 17th September 2021, 05:57 PM   #398
p0lka
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Louden Wilde View Post
As I noted earlier, people have pointed 3 basic positions:

1. Sex (male vs female) important factor;
Gender roles (stereotypes associated with those sexes) legitimate / should be reinforced

2. Sex not important (or even a social construct);
Gender roles (arising from brain only) legitimate / should be reinforced

3. Sex (male vs female) important factor;
Gender roles not legitimate/should be discouraged.

1. is typically the right wing/conservative/religious position - even in places like Iran, where it's preferable to be trans than same-sex attracted.

2. Is the trans-activist position - being pushed on the left (and increasingly adopted as official position) in the US, UK, NZ and other countries.

3. Is the feminist/gender-critical position
The list seems to miss certain positions. Is there a middle position between 'should be reinforced' and 'should be discouraged'?
Old 17th September 2021, 06:24 PM   #399
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Asked and answered, but the thread has gone on so long it's quite understandable you don't remember.

Old 17th September 2021, 07:04 PM   #400
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I agree that a lot of emotional stuff is instinctive, which is my point. I don't agree that it cannot be helped though, which is also my point.

There are many societies, or if you will, places where people grow up with different rules about what offends or creates negative emotions in that place, not every human agrees on it.
If it was purely instinctive, with no ability to change anything, then why is there so much disagreement about what is ok or not?
It's all shaped by culture, but as best I can tell, from what I've read, in every culture people wear clothes, and wearing fewer clothes than expected, especially being naked, is considered a signal of sexuality.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events