IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags transgender incidents , transgender issues , transgender rights

Reply
Old 16th September 2021, 12:39 PM   #281
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 36,129
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
You'll think differently once you've been forcibly transed and heterosexual couplings are criminalized
Flippant remarks are not answers.

Again none of your arguments work against me because a transperson can do absolutely anything they want in my world. I'm just bad because they aren't a special exception to anything.

It's like Schrodinger's Transphobe. I'm taking a leak in a bathroom and and biological female who "identifies as a man" starts using the stall next to me and I don't say anything. I'm a bigot? Well that will have to wait until a biological female who "identifies as a woman" uses it to see if I treat her different.

That's always been the delicious irony to this. I'm not transphobe because I don't run the female who identifies as a man out of my restroom, I'm a transphobe because I won't run the female who doesn't identify as a man out of my restroom. I'm somehow bigoted against transpeople because I'm not an ******* to cispeople. It would be hilarious if it wasn't what it was.

As long as you self identify as someone who will wash their hands and knows when to courtesy flush, I don't care.
__________________
"When enough people make false promises, words stop meaning anything. Then there are no more answers, only better and better lies." - Jon Snow

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 16th September 2021 at 12:42 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 12:41 PM   #282
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 12,162
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Flippant remarks are not answers.

Again none of your arguments work against me because a transperson can do absolutely anything they want in my world. I'm just bad because they aren't a special exception to anything.

It's like Schrodinger's Transphobe. I'm taking a leak in a bathroom and and biological female who "identifies as a man" starts using the stall next to me and I don't say anything. I'm a bigot? Well that will have to wait until a biological female who "identifies as a woman" uses it to see if I treat her different.

That's always been the delicious irony to this. I'm not transphobe because I don't run the female who identifies as a man out of my restroom, I'm a transphobe because I won't run the female who doesn't identify as a man out of my restroom. I'm somehow bigoted against transpeople because I'm an ******* to cispeople. It would be hilarious if it wasn't what it was.

As long as you self identify as someone who will wash their hands and knows when to courtesy flush, I don't care.
Apologies, I later edited that comment. I realize I misattributed prestige's fear of the bedroom police to you.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 12:43 PM   #283
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 36,129
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Apologies, I later edited that comment. I realize I misattributed prestige's fear of the bedroom police to you.
Think nothing of it. Regardless of what you think of me I'm well aware that this is an emotion filled discussion that's sometimes hard to keep track of.

That being said I still think, even outside of that context, I was correct.
__________________
"When enough people make false promises, words stop meaning anything. Then there are no more answers, only better and better lies." - Jon Snow

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 12:46 PM   #284
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Joking aside, I respectfully request you get a grip. These anti-trans horror stories are incredibly pathetic.
Do you ever bother to follow links? Or do you just assume that if you don't look, it doesn't exist?

As Louden posted earlier: Get The L Out

Some samples of things posted by actual trans people:

Quote:
There is a transphobic subset of lesbians who insist that being a lesbian means being attracted to vaginas only, never penises
Quote:
you exclude trans women, you're not a lesbian. You're a vagina fetishist.
Quote:
Trans women are women.

Trans lesbians are women.

If you refuse to date a trans lesbian because of her anatomy, that is transphobic.

This is not a debate.
Quote:
genuine question: I'm never attracted to penis ever. Therefore I'm not attracted to anyone who has a penis. this includes cis men and trans women. what should me, and all other penis repulsed lesbians, do to not be considered transphobic?

----------------------------------

the best thing to do is figure out what makes you so repulsed by penises and see if theres a way you can fix your feelings towards trans women. actively attempting to change your feelings is important
Quote:
My friend identifies as a lesbian but isn't attracted to trans woman. I've tried to say that it's transphobic, but he says I'm being lesbophobic and that lesbians are allowed to have boundaries. I always thought lesbian meant you like all women? What is your opinion? Am I policing her sexuality?

---------------------------------

You're right to call her out. She's transmisogynistic trash. Trans women have almost nothing in common materially, and society (read: patriarchy) tells us that trans women are revolting sexually, romantically, or even in a platonic sense to an extent. DFAB lesbians excluding trans women from their potential partners is not a "boundary", nor a preference. Doing so is exerting power through privilege and therefore transmisogynistic violence
Quote:
**** you you terf bitch. how can a 15 year old be so ******* bigoted and transphobic. i can't believe you don't think i can be a women just becausw i have a cock. wtf. you won't be saying my girlcock isnt really female when Im using your young terf **** as a cum dump. you will ******* bow to my girldick. you will ******* choke on my girldick. fuckyou
Quote:
Dear "Lesbians"

Have you considered not being a violent transmisogynist and opening yourself up to trans women?
This is just a SMALL sampling of the things posted by transwomen to lesbians, harassing, shaming, and insulting them for being same-SEX-attracted.
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 12:47 PM   #285
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
That is the root of the problem you think you are "solving".
There are perfectly adequate terms (trans-man, trans-women) for people who feel their gender and sex are misaligned in some manner. Allowing the language to be co-opted out of meaning is the source of the problem-not the solution.
Out of sympathy for the people who are having a difficult time dealing with their reality, we allow the discourse to be twisted. The intentions are good, but the outcome is not.
The twisted, meaningless, language is then used to deny the reality it is designed to describe and any "solution" becomes impossible because the problem becomes something that can no longer be described.
Well said.
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 12:50 PM   #286
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
As long as the crime stats are low only affect females, it doesn't affect you, and those other things are not things you care about even if they were to happen a lot.
This is my current interpretation of ST's position, and to date they have done nothing at all to counter that interpretation.
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 12:51 PM   #287
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 12,162
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
This is my current interpretation of ST's position, and to date they have done nothing at all to counter that interpretation.
It would probably be helpful to start by posting stats instead of screengrabs of twitter screeds or some lurid "crime of the day" type post.

Am I to understand that the streets of Canada run red with torrents of cis-women's blood ever since the law was changed?
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 12:51 PM   #288
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Jesus just everyone do Kegels and learn to hold it until you get back home and get rid of public bathrooms entirely.
Well, at least with that, males would be subject to a urinary leash too.
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 12:51 PM   #289
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 36,129
As also I do feel the need to do one of my periodic moments where I stop and do remind everyone that I do sort of get it.

Society has done a **** job of actually getting rid of stupid, unreasonable, unnecessary expectations put upon people because of their sex/gender. And it sucks. It is inexcusable that it's gone on this long for a lot of it.

But the fact we as a culture haven't gotten rid of "Women should be quiet and subservient" and "Men shouldn't show feelings" and every other stupid thing we're told we're have to do because we're this or that does not mean "Screw it, everyone just gets to choose which team they are on that will solve everything" is really a good answer.
__________________
"When enough people make false promises, words stop meaning anything. Then there are no more answers, only better and better lies." - Jon Snow

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 16th September 2021 at 12:53 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 12:52 PM   #290
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Why do you think trans people want to use restrooms according to their gender identity so badly?
For about 90% of transgender people, so that everyone else in the world is forced to affirm their belief about themselves.

For the remaining 10%, because they actually pass well enough that using the bathroom congruent with their innate biology would be considered inappropriate by everyone else. EG Blair White and Buck Angel.
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian

Last edited by Emily's Cat; 16th September 2021 at 12:54 PM.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 12:56 PM   #291
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 12,162
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Jesus just everyone do Kegels and learn to hold it until you get back home and get rid of public bathrooms entirely.
I know this is a joke, but the fear of trans people in being questioned or assaulted in a public toilet are high enough that there is a measurable increase in trans people having UTI's from trying to "hold it" until they can find a safe bathroom.

Quote:
59% have avoided bathrooms in the last year because they feared confrontations in public restrooms at work, at school, or in other places.

12% report that they have been harassed, attacked, or sexually assaulted in a bathroom in the last year.

31% have avoided drinking or eating so that they did not need to use the restroom in the last year.

24% report that someone told them they were using the wrong restroom or questioned their presence in the restroom in the last year.

9% report being denied access to the appropriate restroom in the last year.

8% report having a kidney or urinary tract infection, or another kidney-related medical issue, from avoiding restrooms in the last year.
https://www.vox.com/2016/7/12/121612...athroom-survey

Stands in stark contrast to the anti-trans scaremongering about bathrooms that were common at the time, which, in retrospect, seem to have been totally baseless.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 12:57 PM   #292
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 12,162
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
For about 90% of transgender people, so that everyone else in the world is forced to affirm their belief about themselves.

For the remaining 10%, because they actually pass well enough that using the bathroom congruent with their innate biology would be considered inappropriate by everyone else. EG Blair White and Buck Angel.
I owe you an apology. Before I implied your opposition to trans people is clearly rooted in animus. Clearly I was mistaken /s
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 12:58 PM   #293
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Wow. Straight out of the playbook of Reefer Madness. Reactionary bollocks intended to scaremonger and demonise. For shame.
In what circumstances would you say it is appropriate and acceptable for any male to expose their genitals to females and children who do not wish to see those genitals?
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 01:07 PM   #294
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 36,129
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
In what circumstances would you say it is appropriate and acceptable for any male to expose their genitals to females and children who do not wish to see those genitals?
Real talk.

Is that answer any different from anyone exposing any genital to anyone?

I'm a dude and I don't want to see random dicks. I'm sure some broad whipping her vagina out at you on the bus isn't high on the list of things that will make your day better.

Can "Hey just don't show anyone your genitals until they buy you dinner" be the rule?
__________________
"When enough people make false promises, words stop meaning anything. Then there are no more answers, only better and better lies." - Jon Snow

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 01:08 PM   #295
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Why not Women-only elevators, offices, restaurants, alleyways, etc...?
The arguments, as ST points out, are based upon the same logic.


I suggest talking about these with some real-life adult human females. Offices and Restaurants are just straight up silly to toss into this discussion. But you might step back and ask some females that you know about how they feel when they're alone in an elevator and an unknown male gets in. Or how they feel and what precautions they take when they find themselves needing to walk down an alleyway, or through a parking garage or a dark carpark by themselves when there aren't a bunch of people around to act as sentinels.

I think you seriously underestimate the amount of underlying concern and risk-awareness that females feel in those situations.

I'll also add that in those scenarios... females aren't naked or partially unclothed. Which, unsurprising to most people, makes a difference.
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 01:12 PM   #296
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Then go tell your own legislators - who, I'm very confident, understand this issue an awful lot better than you do, and who will have sought expert advice and consultation from all interested parties - who are indeed granting transgender people these rights (with caveats attached, of course).
Oh baloney. Go research your own country before you regurgitate your blind assumptions as truth. Just because you assume that your legislators *must have* sought advice from all interested parties doesn't mean they actually *did*.

If you bothered to take the time to look into it, you might be surprised at exactly how frequently UK government does not include females and female-focused organizations in their list of "interested parties". They sure as hell didn't include any before they decided that transgender identified prisoners should be housed based on their gender identity, regardless of their anatomy.
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 01:17 PM   #297
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
It's a bit of an off topic tangent, but I often find myself thinking about the "women's only" railcars seen in some countries, and other more extensive forms of gender/sex segregation in the name of safety from male aggression.

I wonder how much of this is simply a cope to deal with a society that is totally unwilling and/or unable to deal with male sexual violence and misbehavior. To my mind, the obviously superior solution is to have a society that sufficiently punishes or otherwise discourages subway groping that such separation is not necessary, but in the absence of such a rigorous cultural expectation, I suppose you have to make other arrangements.

That's a long way to say I often see these sex segregated places not so much as a triumph of feminism, but rather a sign of failure. They are a resignation to the fact that nothing really can be done about routine sexual violence/harassment, so instead society has to use these crutches.

I suppose this is somewhat on topic, but not really. It's not really a question, thanks for letting me dump out my brain here.
You are correct in your assessment - they are NOT triumphs of feminism, they are ABSOLUTELY a sign of failure.

The fact that a great many females and parents of females want separate facilities for toileting, showering, and changing is not a victory for women, but an acknowledgement that despite females raising awareness and objecting for over a century... somehow a fair number of males (#NotAllMales ) *still* can't be taught to NOT creep on females.

If you would be so kind as to get your own sex class under control so they don't act like they were raised by wolves, my sex class would greatly appreciate it, and would withdraw a fair number of our complaints.
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 01:20 PM   #298
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Ah there you go again with "rebranding". You don't believe that transmen are experiencing a valid condition, do you?
Pomo semantic game-playing.

Most transmen are experience a valid condition of gender dysphoria.
No transman is experiencing a valid condition of being a man.
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 01:21 PM   #299
Elaedith
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,742
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Then go tell your own legislators - who, I'm very confident, understand this issue an awful lot better than you do, and who will have sought expert advice and consultation from all interested parties - who are indeed granting transgender people these rights (with caveats attached, of course).

Or would you just handwave that inconvenient truth away with the ridiculous "policy capture" mantra?
The thing is, some of us know that legislators have not 'sought expert advice and consultation from all interested parties' or taken this into account because we have looked very carefully at what actually happens instead of blathering on about what we 'assume' happens or what 'will have' happened.

Moreover, we have given extensive documentation to back up the analysis, from the legal documents prepared for lobby groups to capture policy (which recommend using exactly the strategies they do in fact use), to detailed case studies, analysis of the roles of lobby groups like Stonewall within institutions, outcomes of legal cases, peer-reviewed articles, testimonies of experts themselves who were ignored (e.g. gender identity experts on the risks of putting males in female prisons, the world's leading expert on gender dysphoria on adding gender identity to a conversion therapy ban), and more.

You ignore all evidence and have nothing but the same unsupported dogmatic assertions and assumptions.
__________________
"The surest way to work up a crusade in favor of some good cause is to promise people they will have a chance of maltreating someone." - Aldous Huxley.
Elaedith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 01:21 PM   #300
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I don't get it.

Like I said in my long post, it's an off topic tangent. There's no point really. I'm not working towards one here, at least, beyond the basic notion that gender sex segregated spaces generally strike me as a tacit acknowledgement that a given society has generally failed to address root causes of violence/harassment.
Fixed, and you are completely correct.
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 01:22 PM   #301
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
There seems to be an awful lot of variation. Some places an unattended woman showing a bit of ankle is open invite to be mob raped, in other places it's not uncommon for there to be coed nude spaces. Hard to chalk that all up to human nature.
Hmm... Are there some places where an unattended male showing a bit of ankle is open to being mob raped?
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 01:31 PM   #302
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I must admit that I was among those who thought there would be a lot more voyeurism following the liberalization of trans access laws. I thought a lot more men would be caught dressing up as women to gain access for peeping. Some of that has, indeed, happened, but not much.
It does happen, but it can't be prosecuted.

If you're feeling brazen, go google males masturbating in women's restrooms. Also, google transwomen masturbating in women's restrooms. Same for showers and locker rooms.

But it can't be countered, because the entire definition of "woman" has been changed, and requires nothing more than saying words out loud.

That's part of why the Wi Spa case is such a big deal. It *does* happen, and it *has been* happening, but there's nothing we can do about it. It takes a case where the person involved is behaving in an inappropriate manner AND is a registered sex offender AND has a history of similar inappropriate behavior AND law enforcement felt they were masquerading as trans prior to the event before females can even begin to get a tiny bit of traction.
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 01:32 PM   #303
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 27,165
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
The fact that a great many females and parents of females want separate facilities for toileting, showering, and changing is not a victory for women, but an acknowledgement that despite females raising awareness and objecting for over a century... somehow a fair number of males (#NotAllMales ) *still* can't be taught to NOT creep on females.

If you would be so kind as to get your own sex class under control so they don't act like they were raised by wolves, my sex class would greatly appreciate it, and would withdraw a fair number of our complaints.
There's only so much you can ask for. Keep your expectations realistic.
__________________
Proud of every silver medal I've ever received.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 01:33 PM   #304
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I imagine that many, if not most, would opt for personal privacy over communal single sex/gender arrangements if that were actually an option.
Many, even most would likely opt for privacy.

Can you venture a guess as to what those who do NOT want private spaces might have as motivations?
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 01:36 PM   #305
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by Elaedith View Post
An analogy would be, activists demand that black males or gay males are allowed into women's facilities, women object, and activists scream that this is because they are being racist or homophobic. I don't believe that anyone really thinks that the objection is due to trans people rather than male people. It's just a lazy and dishonest slur to bully women into submission.

Of course, the objection really comes down to refusing to accept that being male has no more relevance to being a woman than does being black or gay, that is, to act as though sex is entirely erased by self identity. This is a contested philosophical/ideological position, but this fact can't be admitted because the analogy rides on assuming the truth of what is contested.
Exactly.
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 01:38 PM   #306
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by dann View Post
I am sexually attracted to (some) women and to no men - not even George Clooney. It doesn't change anything if a woman I am not sexually attracted to tells me that she is a woman. It doesn't suddenly make her attractive to me. In other words, I can find a woman unattractive and perceive her to be a woman. I don't have to perceive her to be a man in order to find her unattractive, so no, I don't see how this is the determining factor.
Let's try this: Can you be sexually attracted to a person that you perceive to be a man, but who tells you they are a woman?
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 01:38 PM   #307
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 27,165
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Many, even most would likely opt for privacy.

Can you venture a guess as to what those who do NOT want private spaces might have as motivations?
We're cheapskates.

My planet fitness membership costs 10 bucks a month. They couldn't afford that if they gave everyone a private changing cubicle next to a shower.
__________________
Proud of every silver medal I've ever received.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 01:39 PM   #308
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Ooooh no no no dann! You must obey the weird rules set out by your interlocutors. You're required to be attracted to a) all ciswomen, b) no transwomen, and c) no ciswomen who don't, erm, "look" like ciswomen.

And may the Lord have mercy on your dark soul if you ever have the misfortune to glance at a woman in a bar and find her very attractive, then subsequently learn that she is a transwoman. I dunno, maybe the "rules" require you to self-flagellate if that catastrophe should befall you, not to mention berating the transwoman for misleading you in such a disgraceful manner.
What the hell kind of distorted strawman is this? This is so far off from any position held by anyone here that it's bordering on intentional misrepresentation.
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 01:40 PM   #309
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 36,129
I won't lie and say that I think Western Culture's uber-hangup about nudity is a good thing.

I mean when you start trying to make exact cross cultural comparisons it never works exactly 100% perfectly, but I don't know if I buy that a woman in a European country that has nude beaches is anymore at risk than one in America that doesn't.

I don't know if "visibility of genitalia" is really the yardstick (I wish) we should be using here.
__________________
"When enough people make false promises, words stop meaning anything. Then there are no more answers, only better and better lies." - Jon Snow

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 16th September 2021 at 01:43 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 01:46 PM   #310
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
As also I do feel the need to do one of my periodic moments where I stop and do remind everyone that I do sort of get it.

Society has done a **** job of actually getting rid of stupid, unreasonable, unnecessary expectations put upon people because of their sex/gender. And it sucks. It is inexcusable that it's gone on this long for a lot of it.

But the fact we as a culture haven't gotten rid of "Women should be quiet and subservient" and "Men shouldn't show feelings" and every other stupid thing we're told we're have to do because we're this or that does not mean "Screw it, everyone just gets to choose which team they are on that will solve everything" is really a good answer.
Agreed. With every bit of it.
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 01:47 PM   #311
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I owe you an apology. Before I implied your opposition to trans people is clearly rooted in animus. Clearly I was mistaken /s
Let's step back a moment. What EXACTLY do you think I have animus toward?
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 01:50 PM   #312
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
It would probably be helpful to start by posting stats instead of screengrabs of twitter screeds or some lurid "crime of the day" type post.
Once again... "Anecdotes don't count" and "those are just outliers"

And I predict that within two weeks, you will once again be insisting that there is literally no evidence, no support, nothing at all to support the claim that at least some transgender identified males are behaving in incredibly inappropriate, and borderline rapey ways. And you'll once again frame it all as propaganda fueled by hatred and scaremongering.

As I've said, I infer that you have zero compassion and care for females in any way, and you have reinforced that inference with every interaction.
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 01:57 PM   #313
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
There's only so much you can ask for. Keep your expectations realistic.
I'll make you a deal: You let my sex keep our segregated spaces for intimate functions, and I won't expect your sex to act like fully evolved humans

I'll even sweeten the pot: I'll let fully transitioned post-op transwomen into my sex's spaces. And if they're really nice and well behaved, I might even be willing to let some pre-op transwomen into my sex's spaces on a case-by-case basis.
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 02:02 PM   #314
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 17,079
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I won't lie and say that I think Western Culture's uber-hangup about nudity is a good thing.

I mean when you start trying to make exact cross cultural comparisons it never works exactly 100% perfectly, but I don't know if I buy that a woman in a European country that has nude beaches is anymore at risk than one in America that doesn't.

I don't know if "visibility of genitalia" is really the yardstick (I wish) we should be using here.
Building on this, I think the "Europe has coed naked spaces" is a red herring. Sure, some places do - nude beaches and saunas, for example. The US has some of those two, as well as nudist camps.

But those are all essentially public areas with many people, and they usually have strict expectations that there will be no sexual behavior involved. Transgressors are responded to very quickly, and harshly.

The overwhelming majority of western Europe still maintains sex-segregated toilets, showers, and changing rooms.
__________________
The distance between the linguistic dehumanization of a people and their actual suppression and extermination is not great; it is but a small step. - Haig Bosmajian
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 02:29 PM   #315
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 27,165
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I'll make you a deal: You let my sex keep our segregated spaces for intimate functions, and I won't expect your sex to act like fully evolved humans
.
That seems reasonable to me.
__________________
Proud of every silver medal I've ever received.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 02:43 PM   #316
Elaedith
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,742
Judgement on appeal by Tavistock in the Keira Bell case is apparently coming out tomorrow.

I saw a little of the appeal hearing that was streamed online, but I can't predict which way it will go. The case is not about the safety of puberty blockers per se, but the issue of Gillick competence (ability of minors to consent). The judges seemed to be concerned about the idea of courts rather than clinicians making final decisions about medical issues, so I think it might be overturned on appeal. Regardless, a lot of useful information about what is happening came out of the case (including lack of evidence for long-term effects of blockers and the failure by GIDs to keep adequate records and do follow-up).
Whatever happens I am confident that GIDs will now need to get its act together after the exposure of what was happening.
__________________
"The surest way to work up a crusade in favor of some good cause is to promise people they will have a chance of maltreating someone." - Aldous Huxley.

Last edited by Elaedith; 16th September 2021 at 03:10 PM.
Elaedith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 03:00 PM   #317
d4m10n
Philosopher
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 8,244
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
That's part of why the Wi Spa case is such a big deal. It *does* happen, and it *has been* happening, but there's nothing we can do about it.
If Wi Spa is correct in their claim that the California law which “prohibits discrimination against transgender and gender non-conforming people in business establishments” required them to allow Merager (who is reportedly legally female) into the women's side of the spa, then there is nothing you can do about it other than repealing that law.
__________________
Just reread theprestige's signature; still cannot recall anything about it.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 03:55 PM   #318
p0lka
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: near trees, houses and a lake.
Posts: 2,625
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The other issue is despite so many attempts at retcons the truth is man/male and woman/female were synonyms for most the history we're talking about. And male/female were always the more clinic term so we tended to call things on a day to day level "a woman's bathroom" instead of a "female bathroom" and "woman's basketball" instead of "female basketball."

So now we get the "Well I define as a woman, not a female, ergo I use the women's bathroom" thing. No it's the woman/female bathroom because those words meant the same thing in that context when that term was created.
Good point.
Our traditional definitions and structures are being left behind by the faster changes over time that happen with words and meaning, due to the internet.

how to accept that progression, or whether you should, is interesting.

Last edited by p0lka; 16th September 2021 at 03:57 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 04:04 PM   #319
p0lka
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: near trees, houses and a lake.
Posts: 2,625
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
In what circumstances would you say it is appropriate and acceptable for any male to expose their genitals to females and children who do not wish to see those genitals?
In what circumstances would you say it is appropriate and acceptable for any female to expose their genitals to males and children who do not wish to see those genitals?

I flipped the sex, do you feel the same?
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 04:15 PM   #320
Paul2
Philosopher
 
Paul2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7,109
Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
By the way, it appears to me that an awful lot of the scaremongering taking place within this thread is predicated on the breezy belief that if/when transwomen are granted access to certain women-only spaces, this will open the door to hetero cismen masquerading as transwomen in order to do their filthy business in those women-only spaces.
Of course it would, that’s a logical necessity. Now, whether anyone actually does that is an empirical question, which is much different.

But, perhaps even the possibility of that actually happening has its own effect.
__________________
It's nice to be nice to the nice.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:50 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.