IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th October 2021, 02:04 PM   #681
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Legitimate sources have been reporting that the notebook was wet but potentially salvageable for a couple days now. No word beyond that that I've seen. I would think the release of any info about the notebook from LE would make the news.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2021, 02:49 PM   #682
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
News reports also stated a backpack and notebook belonging to Brian Laundrie were found. There was speculation either might contain a suicide note. (An image of a 'suicide note' has been circulating online -- The Sun published it [see below] -- but it's considered a hoax, even by The Sun.) What are the chances a genuine note may be found? Was the backpack and notebook in water? If so, was the contents damaged, can it be restored? These are the questions but so far there appear to be no answers.
I think it is possible, but unlikely. FBI has said the notebook was not in the dry bag and was found separately. It was water logged. The spokesperson said they did not believe the notebook had been opened by anyone since it was found. They were going to try to dry it out in a way to be able to read the contents. FBI has said they think the notebook will be salvageable.

My guess is that there was something written on the cover, because that would explain why the FBI was able to so quickly say that these are Brian's things (and not just consistent with his things or something vague like that) and might explain why the FBI specifically identified the notebook as one of the objects found.

There was no reason for him to bring a dry bag with some objects in it. My guess is that the pack already had objects in it and he added something that he used the kill himself. The notebook was probably just one of the things already in the pack.

The notebook might be empty, but I think the odds are that it contains something. But those may be only older drawings or writings from before 8/27. I think if he wanted to leave a suicide note he would have left it where it could be found at home or in the car. Or even possibly if he put the notebook in the dry bag. Perhaps he wrote some final words for his own peace of mind, but that seems less likely.

The notebook probably will not contain anything significant to the case, but there is that possibility.
Old 24th October 2021, 02:55 PM   #683
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Was Brian aware the place was about to flood?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2021, 03:20 PM   #684
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

News reports also stated a backpack and notebook belonging to Brian Laundrie were found. There was speculation either might contain a suicide note. (An image of a 'suicide note' has been circulating online -- The Sun published it [see below] -- but it's considered a hoax, even by The Sun.)
This is so stupid. "We think this is a hoax, so let's go ahead and publish it anyway and just slap a disclaimer on it."
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2021, 03:43 PM   #685
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Was Brian aware the place was about to flood?
Not likely. He probably killed himself 9/13. The water gage on Big Slough at Myakkahatchee show the water level a bit low on 9/13 and then rising a little less than a foot by 9/18. The big rains started 9/20 and the creek rose another 4 feet by 9/24 and then began to slowly fall. The creek gauges came back down to the 9/13 level by 10/1, but it probably takes a while for the flooded areas to drain. Brian's dad went out there with police on 10/7 and it was still very wet. Brian may have known that was an area that could flood, but I doubt he knew that it would flood. He didn't go very far in, so I doubt he expected it would be long before he was discovered. I doubt he was thinking about flood levels at the time.

People talk about how odd it was that his dad found him so quickly, but the more I think about the more it is not that unusual. I had suspected early on that if he killed himself that unless he had some favorite place, he probably just walked in far enough to be in the woods. That is exactly what he did. After going across the bridge from Myakkahatchee, he went up the first bike trail along the west side of Big Slough creek and then when he got past the marsh he went into the woods and died. That is where the tent was and the woods. Or it may have even been right on the trail; that is where the crime scene tape was set up.

Brian's dad knew that police had checked much of the park. He believed that Brian was somewhere just across the bridge. The police focus was much more on the east side of the reserve. Of course, they had to consider the possibility that he was alive and hiding out there, and the east side is higher elevation and has more developed campgrounds and buildings.

Where the police had already searched and the places that had been flooded would have narrowed down the likely places to find something. When he was out there on 10/7 it appears they went around the trials on the east side of the Big Slough. Going back, the next logical place to search is the west side, which is where he found something.

Someone local to there area had been posting a lot of things about the case for weeks. She planned to go out there to search. I think other people planned to do the same. She and her boyfriend went out there the day before (I think) and searched along the east side of the creek. She planned to go back that weekend to search the west side. If Brian's dad hadn't found him, someone else likely would have before to long.

Of course, it is bizarre that the police didn't go back there to check after the water levels went down. After all that effort, they didn't recheck the most obvious places. That added a bizarre twist to this whole saga.
Old 25th October 2021, 04:23 PM   #686
Carlotta
Muse

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Yep. Haven't you ever seen the TV show Bones? The show took similar liberties as CSI for entertainment value, but it's a real job.
The autopsy performed on what has been called the "skeletal remains" of Brian Laundrie has not produced a cause-of-death finding.

Forensic anthropologists? Learn something new everyday.
One of my usual bit late, bit off-topic posts, but the series History Cold Case is a fascinating, if grizzly, nonfiction look at forensic anthropology.
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2021, 08:53 PM   #687
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

The lawyer has significantly backtracked on the claim that they notified the police that Brian was missing on the night he went for the hike.

He said they contact police and that he personally called the FBI to report him missing. But then he said that “they” didn’t mean the parents and it was just him who reported him missing to the FBI on the night that he left. Then he said he wasn’t sure if he notified FBI that night or the next morning. He said he had to check with FBI and their notes said it was the night Brian disappeared. (Apparently he keeps no notes regarding his legal cases or something). He then said that the reason he wasn’t sure of the date was because he didn’t actually call the FBI to report Brian missing but that he had been having multiple conversations per day with the FBI and that it only came up in the middle of one of those conversations that he said that Brian had gone for a hike and hadn’t come home.

The North Port Police Department (NPPD) in the following days had been asking him to meet with Brian. They even put out a tweet asking to do that. They said they had eyes on Brian (It was later revealed they had installed secret surveillance camera around the home, but they somehow spectacularly failed to see him leaving or that the Mustang was gone for two days even while a NPPD report was flied for the car as abandoned at the park). That resulted in them saying that they knew exactly where Brian was, when they did not. NPPD says the first notice they got and they were very surprised about Brian being missing was after the missing person report was filed 9/17.

This impression went form the parents calling the police and saying, “Brian is missing!! OMG!!!!” to the lawyer mentioning in one of multiple conversations with the FBI, “I’ll have to ask with Brian later. He went on a hike a bit ago and hasn’t come home yet.”

The lawyer also says that he had to have a consultation for an ethical opinion on reporting Brian missing.
To cut It short, that means he had knowledge of Brian’s dissapeance from conversations from his parents, which are confidential. But they can file a report, but he also represents Brian. If Brian had decided to go on the run, with no arrest warrant issued yet, he is obligated to his client and reporting him as missing would help the police and not his client. He had no idea what to do and so did nothing.

The parents became increasingly concerned that he had killed himself or may kill himself and wanted help from the police. Meanwhile, the FBI called the lawyer about a tip that Brian was seen in Tampa. They wanted to meet with the Laudries at the home do see if he was there. The lawyer set up that meeting. Somewhere in there the lawyer did the ethical consultation. He knew that he could not continue to remain silent. FBI would get a warrant on something.

So, they didn’t really report Brian as missing on 9/13 as they claimed. They only mentioned that he had not come back from a hike in the context that implied that hey would be home soon. Really, they didn’t disclose that because the lawyer was trying to protect Brian who might be on the run. It was only when they were essentially forced by the FBI to check if he was in the house that they actually told anybody that he was missing.

Completely misleading statement by the lawyer. But it worked. The unjustified social media hatred of the parents was unjustifiably turned around. The nonsense leading the nonsense.
Old 25th October 2021, 09:04 PM   #688
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Do you have source for all that? It's confusing to me because you're reporting things like this:
Quote:
So, they didn’t really report Brian as missing on 9/13 as they claimed. They only mentioned that he had not come back from a hike in the context that implied that hey would be home soon.
But my understanding wasn't that the claim they reported him missing. My understanding was they (I've never been clear on who the "they" actually was) just told the police he'd gone for a hike and hadn't come home.

Too confusing.

ETA: Actually, don't put any effort in to sources. Probably best just to wait for the dust to settle.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 25th October 2021 at 09:05 PM.
Old 25th October 2021, 09:18 PM   #689
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Do you have source for all that? It's confusing to me because you're reporting things like this:

But my understanding wasn't that the claim they reported him missing. My understanding was they (I've never been clear on who the "they" actually was) just told the police he'd gone for a hike and hadn't come home.

Too confusing.

ETA: Actually, don't put any effort in to sources. Probably best just to wait for the dust to settle.
I could get sources for all of that but that is difficult because it is based on many interviews and comments that the lawyer has made over time. My commentary is based on all these different things he has said, not a particular statement.

The lawyer's early statements were that they had reported Brian as missing. Only later, the lawyer said that they just said that he had not come home.

Last edited by DevilsAdvocate; 25th October 2021 at 09:21 PM.
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2021, 08:56 PM   #690
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

I just watched a news channel special on the case. It was really bad. They sent a reporter who has been heavily covering the case out to Utah and Wyoming and basically nobody would talk to him and everything else was filler.

But that got me think about where Brian's dad searched when he went out on 10/7. I went through the WFLA live coverage from that day.

There was a large search the previous day. But that day it was just Brian's dad and one other person. There was his truck and another unmarked truck with a trailer with an ATV on it. With no other law enforcement out there, I suspect it wasn't law enforcement and that the lawyer agreed to have Brian's dad go out there to search with park maintenance or something with no law enforcement in the park so that they could ask him questions without representation.

WFLA saw the two of the them drive into the reserve on the ATV. They sent out there helicopter from Tampa. The helicopter searched for the ATV for about 40 minutes and finally found it on a trail with nobody there. They had obviously set out on foot from there. The reason it s=took so long to find was that the ATV was very near the entrance to the reserve and they were expecting to find it further in. The helicopter at that point was running out of fuel so they had to leave and they didn't come back.

The strange thing is...the ATV was on the trail where Brian was found. A=It was about 200 feet into the trail. There are 4-5 trails across from the bridge from Myakkahatchee. That includes bike trails running up and down both sides of the canal. The bridge is between this trail and another dirt trail to the west. This is the first trail you come to depending on whether you go east or west after the bridge.

The helicopter video shows that area was dry. Not exactly dry. There were still some small pools of water in the marshy areas and it would have been a bit wet, as indicated by the pictures of the pants of Brian's dad after he found the bag with the bottom 6-12 inches of his pants wet. But it was not under water on 10/7.

This trail doesn't have much to search for the first 450 yards. The canal is on the right. A big marshy area is on the left. Sparse trees along that path. North of that marsh is a forested area. About 300 yards north to the next marsh and about 250 yards west to a parallel dirt trail. That area is even dense forest. It is in the flood plain, so there are bare patches.

My guess is that they got off the ATV at the start of the trail. Searched the sparse area along there. Went up north of the marsh. Then started at the southern end of the trees going back and forth west and east and moving north. They ran out of time or energy before they got to the north end of the woods, which is where Brian was.

I don't know why Brian's dad didn't go back again. My guess is that the lawyer insisted that he would only search when law enforcement was not present and law enforcement gave them that one day and after that would not agree because they wanted to resume they search efforts.

After the park opened, Brian's dad went back to resume where he left off; the north portion of those woods. That was where Brian was, so he immediately found the bag and the police following him found the backpack and remains.

The very strange thing is that the police didn't not find all of that first. That trail run right through the small area they had taped off after they found the remains. The canopy they set up was within 100 feet of that trail. We don't know exactly where they found what, but it certainly seems it was not far off the trail over perhaps even right on the trail.

When they first went out, police said they did a grid search of that area. I don't know what the conditions were on 9/18 and 9/19, but water gauges suggest that area was not under water, or maybe could have been perhaps under maybe up to 6 inches of water. A grid search even in those conditions, or even if there was 12 inches of water, should find a backpack or dry bag or body.

I am completely baffled on how they could have done such an extensive and time-consuming and costly search and not have found Brian in the first two days before the rains came or in the 11 days after Brian's dad was out there when he was in the most logical spot possible.
Old 30th October 2021, 10:41 PM   #691
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
I am completely baffled on how they could have done such an extensive and time-consuming and costly search and not have found Brian in the first two days before the rains came or in the 11 days after Brian's dad was out there when he was in the most logical spot possible.
You know that remains are sometimes found in forested areas years after an intensive and costly search at the time of the disappearance failed to find the victim, right?

It's hard to find things in the woods. You can walk past something by less than ten feet and simply not see it, simple due to all of the sensory clutter. There's no real "training" you can go through that neutralizes it.

Last edited by Checkmite; 30th October 2021 at 10:42 PM.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2021, 06:10 AM   #692
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
You know that remains are sometimes found in forested areas years after an intensive and costly search at the time of the disappearance failed to find the victim, right?

It's hard to find things in the woods. You can walk past something by less than ten feet and simply not see it, simple due to all of the sensory clutter. There's no real "training" you can go through that neutralizes it.
Sounds slightly unserious but ask any dog walker that loses a brightly coloured ball in a small patch of weeds and grass how easily it happens.

It is extremely hard to search any overgrown area never mind actual wilderness.
Old 1st November 2021, 10:59 AM   #693
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

The much criticized North Port police commander, Todd Garrison, revealed recently that his department believed Brian Laundrie was still at home due to a mistake by the surveillance team. Mrs. Laundrie arrived home wearing a baseball cap -- her long hair was not visible, she is about the same size as her son -- and the surveillance team mistakenly thought she was Brian.
Quote:
North Port Police Chief Todd Garrison told members of the South County Tiger Bay Club that once he learned his surveillance team mistook Roberta Laundrie for her son Brian Laundrie, it was important for the agency to admit the error...“As a 30-year (law enforcement) veteran, doing surveillance, this [kind of mistake] is not uncommon and if any expert out there says it is, they’re lying to you...Now, we know that, by the time we became the lead agency, Brian had already left the house and presumably had already been deceased out in the Carlton Reserve,” Garrison said. Sarasota News-Herald link

Speaking at a local law enforcement panel discussion at the South County Tiger Bay Club, Garrison also revealed, “What a lot of people don’t know, in June, Gabby and Brian moved out of their location and put a lot of stuff into storage and they changed their address and moved to New York and from there, they left for their cross-country adventure."
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2021, 11:11 PM   #694
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Sounds slightly unserious but ask any dog walker that loses a brightly coloured ball in a small patch of weeds and grass how easily it happens.

It is extremely hard to search any overgrown area never mind actual wilderness.
On the other hand, it often seems to be dog walkers who find bodies. I guess there’s not that many of them in the Everglades.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2021, 12:36 PM   #695
stanfr
Graduate Poster

Looks like John Walsh got his wish, Laundrie "offed himself"...but Walsh (and others) predicted he would not have the guts to do it, looks like he was wrong on that part.

http://www.cnn.com/2021/11/23/us/bri...psy/index.html
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2021, 04:50 PM   #696
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
Looks like John Walsh got his wish, Laundrie "offed himself"...but Walsh (and others) predicted he would not have the guts to do it, looks like he was wrong on that part.

http://www.cnn.com/2021/11/23/us/bri...psy/index.html
Doesn't say if the gun was found at the scene. I'd like to hope it was recovered too.
Old 27th November 2021, 05:00 AM   #697
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Doesn't say if the gun was found at the scene. I'd like to hope it was recovered too.

Well if they've concluded that he died from a self-inflicted gunshot to the head, and they (obviously) know where he was situated at the moment he fired the shot, then I guess there's only two logical possibilities re the gun that fired the shot:

1) They found the gun - a task that would/should have been extremely easy, since all they'd have needed to do was look closely in the swamp/grass/scrub in a 1-yard radius of his body;

2) They didn't find the gun, on account of someone having gone out there to retrieve the gun prior to the body being officially discovered.

I can't immediately think of a viable third possibility.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 05:01 AM   #698
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
On the other hand, it often seems to be dog walkers who find bodies. I guess there’s not that many of them in the Everglades.

Dog walkers or dead bodies.....?
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 05:06 AM   #699
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

The much criticized North Port police commander, Todd Garrison, revealed recently that his department believed Brian Laundrie was still at home due to a mistake by the surveillance team. Mrs. Laundrie arrived home wearing a baseball cap -- her long hair was not visible, she is about the same size as her son -- and the surveillance team mistakenly thought she was Brian.

She may have been about the same size as her son (by which I assume they mean "height"), but it doesn't look as if she had anything like the same body shape. And she sure as heck didn't have the same facial complexion (structure, skin condition, skin sagging, etc) as her son.

Not that it really makes a jot of difference in the longer run, but I wonder if his parents perhaps did collude with him to misdirect investigators and facilitate his disappearance & suicide; and that his mother might therefore have deliberately tried to emulate his appearance in order to mislead the officers whom she either knew or suspected were surveilling the house.
Old 27th November 2021, 07:20 PM   #700
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Well if they've concluded that he died from a self-inflicted gunshot to the head, and they (obviously) know where he was situated at the moment he fired the shot, then I guess there's only two logical possibilities re the gun that fired the shot:

1) They found the gun - a task that would/should have been extremely easy, since all they'd have needed to do was look closely in the swamp/grass/scrub in a 1-yard radius of his body;

2) They didn't find the gun, on account of someone having gone out there to retrieve the gun prior to the body being officially discovered.

I can't immediately think of a viable third possibility.
His remains were moved by a scavenger animal or animals?

I suspect the gun was found at the scene and they never reported it because it's not really important to the report that they found his body
Old 28th November 2021, 05:58 AM   #701
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
His remains were moved by a scavenger animal or animals?

I suspect the gun was found at the scene and they never reported it because it's not really important to the report that they found his body
Yeah, I agree, it just struck me odd that when they reported finding the body, that finding a gun at the scene as well wasn't mentioned at all. I could see it going ether way, but I don't run a news reporting agency, so what do I know?

Last edited by Mike!; 28th November 2021 at 06:24 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2021, 05:35 PM   #702
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Findings of the autopsy are that Brian died of suicide by a gunshot wound to the head. The autopsy report has not been released pending the continuing investigation. This came the the Laundries attorney (although I think Gabby's parents have confirmed they have been notified of the same autopsy findings).

There was a mention of possible other criminal charges. That also came from the lawyer. I don't see any realistic possibility of any charges. My guess is that the lawyer got the call from FBI about the autopsy and asked if his clients were off the hook and that FBI agent couldn't commit to that and so he put this out there to tell the press he could still not answer any questions. I suspect this is just lawyer stuff rather than anything that actually means anything.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events