IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cancel culture

Old 3rd November 2021, 09:08 AM   #521
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
You said "Boycotts are about withholding money," I provided a fairly clear counterexample.
[snip]
I would say that ostentatiously refusing to compete is a form of speech, intended to convey a specific message.
[snip]
I wasn't making a point about cancellation, but about the scope of what people call boycotts.
[snip]
No.
[snip]
It is similar in that it is also a boycott.
In name only, the context is completely different, as I pointed out. It's an entirely different situation and circumstances. By your own admission, there is no actual speech in your example to cancel unless you do not allow countries to not compete, which isn't what happened. Even then, we agree that countries are not equivalent to individuals, or corporations, in terms of having the capacity to be canceled. The thread is about cancelation, the terms we're speaking of need to be within that context for it to be at all relevant. This example is nonsense.

Allegedly, but (IMO) probably not.
[snip]
I suppose that hinges in part on whether spoken sexual advances count as speech, but I think it's fair to say that he never spoke about his dating predilections from the podium.
[snip]
I don't believe Carrier physically hurt anyone. If he had done so, that would be a solid reason to have him cancelled.
Again, I don't have any facts about this situation. Are you suggesting that the event organizers did not have concerns about their attendees' safety with this person presence at the event?

You have yet to come up with an argument that cancellation via public shaming is an unknown phenomenon in pre- or post-capitalist societies. Which ones should we be looking at?
First of all, that's a strawman. I never made that claim, whereas you have made the claim for which I was asking for a coherent argument. In your first post in this thread (the first part), the person was asking Kroger to fire or discipline an employee. The person even @mentioned the company. It's not like they were trying to make the employee wear a scarlet "A", be tarred and feathered, or run out of town.

We're clearly talking about free speech informing a capitalist decision. One, apparently, Kroger is within it's risk tolerance for holding onto or not disciplining this particular employee. Do we have any information on whether this Andy even actually was "canceled"?

Also, evasion noted. Are you simply upset that people are exercising their right to free speech or do you just not like it when people are upset by other people, which would be more than a little ironic given this thread?
Old 3rd November 2021, 02:51 PM   #522
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
By your own admission, there is no actual speech in your example to cancel unless you do not allow countries to not compete, which isn't what happened.
Once again, I was not talking about cancellation at that point, but about the conceptual boundaries of the idea of a boycott.

The thread is about cancelation, the terms we're speaking of need to be within that context for it to be at all relevant.
If you want to make an argument about how boycotts relate to cancellation, it's on you to stipulatively define what you mean by "boycott" or else allow people to bring their own experiences of how the word is used to the table.

Are you suggesting that the event organizers did not have concerns about their attendees' safety with this person presence at the event?
I would suggest that they mean "safety" in the sense of "safe space," that is, a place in which certain forms of speech are forbidden.

First of all, that's a strawman. I never made that claim...
You made the claim that cancel culture describes a phenomenon at the intersection of capitalism and free speech. This claim logically implies that where either capitalism or free speech are missing, we won't see cancel culture happening. If you want to pursue this line of inquiry, we'll need a few specific cultures to look at, e.g. Maoist China.

In your first post in this thread (the first part), the person was asking Kroger to fire or discipline an employee. The person even @mentioned the company.
That specific example definitely had capitalism in the mix, but then so would any example in which a profit-based corporation was being pressured to sack an employee.

We're clearly talking about free speech informing a capitalist decision.
So far n=1 but yes, of course.

Do we have any information on whether this Andy even actually was "canceled"?
We do, upthread.

Are you simply upset that people are exercising their right to free speech or do you just not like it when people are upset by other people, which would be more than a little ironic given this thread?
I'm going to decline to answer this question since you've personalized it for reasons beyond my understanding. Can you ask what you're trying to ask without delving into my motives or feelings? (If you catch me doing that to you, please call me on it.)

This question goes out to everyone reading along:
Do you believe it is possible for people to exercise their legal right of free speech in a way that they ought not to have done?
Old 4th November 2021, 02:35 AM   #523
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Found this line from Dakota Johnson in 'The Hollywood Reporter'

Quote:
Some noise is impossible to block out. Like the power of the #MeToo movement and the clamor of cancel culture, which have swept through Hollywood in recent years and put so many of her former male co-stars, like Depp, LaBeouf and Armie Hammer, in jeopardy of never returning to the profession following abuse allegations and which, for some, allow no opportunity for redemption.

“I never experienced that firsthand from any of those people,” she says. “I had an incredible time working with them; I feel sad for the loss of great artists. I feel sad for people needing help and perhaps not getting it in time. I feel sad for anyone who was harmed or hurt. It’s just really sad. I do believe that people can change. I want to believe in the power of a human being to change and evolve and get help and help other people. I think there’s definitely a major overcorrection happening. But I do believe that there’s a way for the pendulum to find the middle. The way that studios have been run up until now, and still now, is behind. It is such an antiquated mindset of what movies should be made, who should be in them, how much people should get paid, what equality and diversity look like. Sometimes the old school needs to be moved out for the new school to come in. But, yeah, cancel culture is such a ******* downer. I hate that term.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...in-1235040691/

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2021, 12:03 PM   #524
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Social media is doing the same thing the printing press, radio, and TV all did before it: expanding the reach of people's speech.
Correct

Relatively few people have access to printing presses, radio towers, etc. Nearly anyone can have access to social media..
Irrelevant, and in any case, entirely the wrong way to look at it.

Printing presses and radio transmitters and towers allowed speech to become more widespread - in this way, their modern equivalents are the media/social media platforms, NOT the internet itself, which is a distribution system - the modern parallel to the transport systems that distributed newspapers, and the broadcast channels that distributed the spoken word.

While it is true that not many people would have had access to a printing press or a radio tower, it is also true that not many people now have the ability to build or run a media platform. However, just like the internet now, they certainly had access to the distributed information from them.

Social media is doing the same thing the printing press, radio, and TV all did before it: expanding the reach of people's speech. The same kind of speech that may be curated or dismissed by distributors, but not by the government. It's free speech through a different channel.
Exactly
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, bigots and homophobes to describe people who have a properly functioning moral compass!

Last edited by smartcooky; 4th November 2021 at 12:04 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2021, 03:25 PM   #525
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
While it is true that not many people would have had access to a printing press or a radio tower, it is also true that not many people now have the ability to build or run a media platform.
Danielle did not require her own media platform in order to incite several people to call for Kroger to sack one of their employees, she only needed her own account.

Now imagine the same sort of attempted cancellation happening in the 1980s. How would she go about it?
Old 4th November 2021, 04:53 PM   #526
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Danielle did not require her own media platform in order to incite several people to call for Kroger to sack one of their employees, she only needed her own account.

Now imagine the same sort of attempted cancellation happening in the 1980s. How would she go about it?
Considering the John Birchers were accusing everyone and their aunt of being crypto commies, I think our pre-internet ancestors had no problems wielding social cudgels.
Old 4th November 2021, 06:20 PM   #527
d4m10n
Philosopher

How would she go about it?
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Considering the John Birchers were accusing everyone and their aunt of being crypto commies, I think our pre-internet ancestors had no problems wielding social cudgels.
Evasion noted.

Last edited by d4m10n; 4th November 2021 at 06:58 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2021, 04:56 AM   #528
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

The demonetization effort against Andy Ngo continues:

Quote:
BREAKING: Andy Ngo's publisher The Post Millennial has been de-listed by Sharethrough, a leading independent ad exchange.

Sharethrough processes over 160 billion advertiser bids per day, and serves 22 billion ad impressions daily across their network of 700+ publishing partners
https://twitter.com/chadloder/status...79904699011075

Activists are asking advertisers if they really want their brands associated with Ngo's radioactive fascist politics, and many are saying "no".
Old 5th November 2021, 05:42 AM   #529
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Thinking about the Southwest pilot who caused tremendous liberal butt-hurt by saying "let's go brandon" over the flight PA. I imagine he's in some hot water for unprofessional conduct, but he's part of a pilot's union, which likely means his job is safe.

Worried about being cancelled by the woke-mob? Unionize.
Old 5th November 2021, 05:45 AM   #530
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Evasion noted.
Do you honestly think pre-internet people were totally siloed off and unable to cause a stink about some issue if they wanted to?

Some busybody absolutely would have been able to cause a local or even national freakout about some petty BS if it was the kind of thing to tap into a more broadly shared sentiment. Our pre-internet ancestors used different technology, but popular discourse was very much alive before Twitter invented it in 2006. Moral panics routinely happened.

I'm honestly baffled that you seem to be suggesting that this kind of petty freakout was not possible prior to our current moment.
Old 5th November 2021, 12:02 PM   #531
dirtywick
Illuminator

https://sports.yahoo.com/aaron-rodge...173236045.html

Aaron Rodgers appears on the radio again railing on the woke pc mob for forcing him to lie about his vaccination status and then acting as if the COVID protocols didn’t apply to him. doesn’t consider himself anti-vax but instead a free thinker who has done his research, thanks Joe Rogan for his medical advice.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2021, 12:18 PM   #532
Cain
Straussian

I was going to mention Aaron Rodgers.

Prohibited from playing football because you're unvaccinated = Good.
Prohibited from playing football because you refuse to stand for the National Anthem = Bad.

Rodgers is playing a victim that the "woke mob" is out to get him. Vaccines have nothing to do with wokeness. Rodgers telling reporters that he's been "immunized" was Clintonian.
Diablo: You're a lousy bigot. Apologise and withdraw that remark.
Cain: Nah.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2021, 12:34 PM   #533
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
https://sports.yahoo.com/aaron-rodge...173236045.html

Aaron Rodgers appears on the radio again railing on the woke pc mob for forcing him to lie about his vaccination status and then acting as if the COVID protocols didn’t apply to him. doesn’t consider himself anti-vax but instead a free thinker who has done his research, thanks Joe Rogan for his medical advice.
It's not the "woke" mob that is holding him responsible. It is the NFL, its doctors and even the players union that rejected his nonsense. But hey, Joe Rogan is on his side.

He tried to keep it hidden, until he tested positive. At that point, the question came up.
Old 5th November 2021, 12:47 PM   #534
dirtywick
Illuminator

For clarity, he’s not been disciplined in any way for being unvaccinated or lying about his status. He’s been forced to sit out a game because he’s actively contagious with the virus, same as any other player vaccinated or not that tests positive. However the testing frequency and wait times are different for players depending on their vaccination status.

That said, Rodgers was participating in team activities and press events in the same way a vaccinated player would and directly lied about his status. However even then, he’s unlikely to face any penalty for it. The NFL may fine the team, but can’t impose suspension for violating Covid protocols and has pretty clearly left it up to teams to enforce discipline, and it’s impossible the team didn’t know his vaccination status when he plainly violated Covid protocols week after week.

Long story short, one of the most privileged people on the planet got caught with his hand in the cookie jar, suffers no consequences, and thinks he’s being treated unfairly
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2021, 01:10 PM   #535
Cain
Straussian

He's taking another hit to his reputation and giving the backup QB a golden opportunity to replace him (not necessarily immediately, but numbering his days).
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2021, 01:59 PM   #536
d4m10n
Philosopher

Do you honestly think pre-internet people were totally siloed off and unable to cause a stink about some issue if they wanted to?
I can cut-and-paste my question again, if that helps, but you cannot reasonably expect me to answer yours when you dodge mine.
Old 5th November 2021, 05:13 PM   #537
d4m10n
Philosopher

Rodgers...shouldn't be cancelled (of course) and I doubt very many people are tryna get him canceled, even in Chicago.
I take it back.
Old 6th November 2021, 02:25 PM   #538
dirtywick
Illuminator

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...?ocid=msedgntp

as we all know, regardless of what you say or do, a celebrity is entitled to unconditional support from all fans including maintaining all sources of revenue. it's unjust, but the woke mob wins again
Old 6th November 2021, 03:00 PM   #539
Cain
Straussian

It seems very on brand for a health care organization to dissolve their partnership with someone who takes homeopathic treatments and listens to the advice of Dr. Joe Rogan.
Old 6th November 2021, 04:47 PM   #540
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
it's unjust, but the woke mob wins again
On rare occasions, the mob happens to be right.

(Not because mobs think things though, ofc.)
Old 6th November 2021, 06:45 PM   #541
dirtywick
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
It seems very on brand for a health care organization to dissolve their partnership with someone who takes homeopathic treatments and listens to the advice of Dr. Joe Rogan.
Well that’s not fair either. We can’t let this cancel culture environment interfere with an athlete’s right to seek the medical advice of his personal comedian. And really, who is the international medical community to say a vaccine is any more or less effective than smearing horse deworming cream on your balls? That vaccine might make you sterile, I think a mime may have told him that I’d have to get back to you. But he got that from somewhere credible. And even if not, everyone has a right to spread as much misinformation as they want without suffering any repercussions at all, especially on the internet or even worse, from a journalist

Anyway, anyone passing any judgement, saying anything negative, not buying his jersey, or supporting his upcoming comedy tours with Dave Chapelle and Tim Pool featuring Alex Jones is in the wrong. Textbook cancellation. It’s not for us to decide our opinions on other people’s public actions or ideas, leave that to your betters. This is just the woke mob going insane.
Old 9th November 2021, 09:43 PM   #542
dirtywick
Illuminator

https://www.wbay.com/2021/11/09/aaro...out-my-status/

Well, despite his assurances that he would not acquiesce to the woke mob in this cancel culture war, it was indeed the final nail in his cancel culture coffin. Rodgers doesn't apologize but acknowledges people may have felt misled by his comments, in which case if someone did feel misled he's takes full responsibility for the comments he made. No doubt, taking responsibility for these comments to the woke mob is going to entail something horrifying as they have done with many celebrities in the past.

Even worse, the NFL fined him $15K for his repeated COVID violations. For a man that makes a mere $146K a minute per game, this is a sum sure to cause him an even greater distress than having to acknowledge that some people may have felt misled by him.

I really don't know how anyone can hope to enjoy any kind of freedoms in an environment this dangerous and unforgiving.

Last edited by dirtywick; 9th November 2021 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11th November 2021, 04:00 AM   #543
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Cancel culture is not the answer to anti-Semitism

Quote:
German journalist Nemi El-Hassan once had a promising TV career ahead of her. She was even about to start hosting a well-known science programme. But then her employer, the broadcaster WDR, pulled the plug. And just like that, her career was brought to a standstill.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/1...anti-semitism/

Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2021, 06:24 AM   #544
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
I've heard the University of Austin is hiring. Her views will clash with those of Bari Weiss, but that's what a free-thinking university is all about, right? The plurality of views, the jousting of opinions. Nothing is Verboten!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2021, 01:14 PM   #545
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I've heard the University of Austin is hiring. Her views will clash with those of Bari Weiss, but that's what a free-thinking university is all about, right? The plurality of views, the jousting of opinions. Nothing is Verboten!
You know, this is one of those situations that frustrates me. People should be able to have views opposed to the actions of the COUNTRY of ISRAEL without being labeled as "anti-semites". It's as dumb as insisting that anyone opposed to the policies of Afghanistan is "anti-muslim".
Old 11th November 2021, 02:03 PM   #546
rdwight
Muse

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
You know, this is one of those situations that frustrates me. People should be able to have views opposed to the actions of the COUNTRY of ISRAEL without being labeled as "anti-semites". It's as dumb as insisting that anyone opposed to the policies of Afghanistan is "anti-muslim".
To be fair, are the policies they oppose there ones based on Islamic religious doctrine? Everyone should be able to state they hate any tenants of any religion they find problematic. The anti-sematic smear that comes up all too often when any disagreement with Israel policy is way too commonplace for sure though. We should all probably be more aware of the lax justification needed to throw around labels like these. I get annoyed to have to investigate if any label thrown on people is accurate, and yet that is probably the bare minimum we all should have been doing the whole time.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2021, 03:20 PM   #547
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
To be fair, are the policies they oppose there ones based on Islamic religious doctrine? Everyone should be able to state they hate any tenants of any religion they find problematic. The anti-sematic smear that comes up all too often when any disagreement with Israel policy is way too commonplace for sure though. We should all probably be more aware of the lax justification needed to throw around labels like these. I get annoyed to have to investigate if any label thrown on people is accurate, and yet that is probably the bare minimum we all should have been doing the whole time.
Agreed.

Also... tenets, not tenants.
Old 12th November 2021, 09:54 AM   #548
Stout
Illuminator

Not wanting to be outdone by the US and the UK, Canada steps up to the plate and cancels
a book club meeting for low income teenage girls because the featured Nobel Prize winning author who wrote a book about being kidnapped, raped and tortured by ISIS because it might foster Islamophobia.

Quote:
The superintendent, Helen Fisher, also told her that students would not participate in a book-club event scheduled for February with Nadia Murad, a Nobel Prize-winner and activist, Ms. Lee said. She said she was told Ms. Murad’s book, The Last Girl: My Story of Captivity, and My Fight Against the Islamic State, would foster Islamophobia.

After that conversation, Ms. Lee said she sent an e-mail to Ms. Fisher with information about Islamic State from the BBC and CNN.

“This is what Islamic State means,” Ms. Lee wrote to the superintendent. “It is a terrorist organization. It has nothing to do with ordinary Muslims. The TDSB should be aware of the difference.”
Source
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2021, 04:04 PM   #549
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Not wanting to be outdone by the US and the UK, Canada steps up to the plate and cancels a book club meeting for low income teenage girls because the featured Nobel Prize winning author who wrote a book about being kidnapped, raped and tortured by ISIS because it might foster Islamophobia.
In the U.S. that book club meeting would be protested/canceled just for normalizing the non-radical version of Islam.
Old 16th November 2021, 06:55 PM   #550
d4m10n
Philosopher

Cancel culture database

https://www.thecollegefix.com/ccdb/
Old 18th November 2021, 06:04 PM   #551
Cain
Straussian

Much of the discussion about Chappelle's latest special focuses on his friend's suicide. I think more reviewers should have included spoiler tags. Anyway, Twitter recommended this substack to me, and the author says, contrary to Chappelle's telling, there's no evidence that blowback from defending Chappelle contributed to her suicide.

https://michaelhobbes.substack.com/p...eb&utm_source=
Old 19th November 2021, 06:19 AM   #552
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Interesting article in the Washington Post, the researcher is a 'Person of Gender' and were looking into people sexually attracted to minors, apparently this is due to their use of the term 'minor-attracted persons' rather than paedophiles...

Quote:
Old Dominion University has put a professor on leave amid controversy over their research into adults who are sexually attracted to minors, saying it had put campus safety at risk.

The public university was facing a firestorm over Professor Allyn Walker’s use of the term “minor-attracted people” and whether that language and approach destigmatizes sex offenders. Students protested on the Norfolk campus Tuesday, outrage spread on social media and an online petition to remove Walker had garnered thousands of signatures within days.

On Tuesday night, university officials announced that Walker had been placed on administrative leave. Reactions to Walker’s book and academic research “have led to concerns for their safety and that of campus,” have disrupted campus and are interfering with teaching and learning, officials wrote in a statement online.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...-allyn-walker/

Old 19th November 2021, 06:54 AM   #553
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Interesting article in the Washington Post, the researcher is a 'Person of Gender' and were looking into people sexually attracted to minors, apparently this is due to their use of the term 'minor-attracted persons' rather than paedophiles...

I’m am assuming you think this is bad, that they shouldn’t have been “cancelled”?
Old 19th November 2021, 02:03 PM   #554
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

An article mainly of the cancelling of stage and TV shows in Australia and the devastating effect it has had on those cancelled.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/t...27-p593ls.html

The first part is about a bi actor.

Quote:
Hugh Sheridan was confirmed in the lead role for the musical, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, scheduled for the 2021 Sydney Festival.
Quote:
Hedwig is born Hansel, a boy from communist East Germany who falls in love with an American soldier and has a sex-change operation so they can marry and flee to the US. But the surgery is botched and later the soldier leaves, pitching Hedwig into a life of sorrow, crazy bravery, fabulous wigs and rock ‘n’ roll.
Quote:
One day in November, just weeks into rehearsals for Hedwig, Sheridan opened his Instagram account to read some “horrific messages”. Four trans advocates had organised an open letter demanding he be dropped from the role. The letter, signed by more than 1700 people, said only a trans actor could play the role.
Quote:
The letter prompted the American creators of Hedwig, John Cameron Mitchell and Stephen Trask, to issue a statement saying they did not believe that Hedwig was trans, and that anyone could play the role. But the Australian producers, Showtune Productions, cancelled the show. “We wish to assure the Trans and LGBTQIA+ community that the issues raised are respected and taken very seriously,” said Showtune in a statement.
Disgusting.

There are other stories about the gay nightclub which commemorated the death of four cops, one of whom was gay and frequented the club.

Quote:
Dozens of posts by LGBTQI+ activists targeted the nightclub on Facebook: its act was “abhorrent” and “vomit”, they said. “Why not stand in the fight to stop black deaths in custody instead of supporting oppressors? The queer community will never stand with cops.” And: “White gay men proving, yet again, that they will always be white men before they are anything else.”
Okay, the club was not cancelled but the intent was there.

What has happened to the old Australian tradition of giving people a “fair go” to live their lives and express opinions?

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 19th November 2021 at 02:04 PM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 11:33 AM   #555
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Wow there is all kinds of room in that to be reasonable, I know anyone attracted to someone under the age of 18 should be locked up for all eternity regardless of if they act on that attraction or not.

For example were the people being studdied sex offenders or people who have an unwanted attraction to minors? And of course being a place were definitions matter was it limited to pedophiles or were those attracted to people going through puberty included as well.

Kind of like how in lots of studies it has changed from calling people gay men, to men who have sex with men. It gets rid of the identity and focuses on the behavior.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 05:20 PM   #556
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Wow there is all kinds of room in that to be reasonable, I know anyone attracted to someone under the age of 18 should be locked up for all eternity regardless of if they act on that attraction or not.

For example were the people being studdied sex offenders or people who have an unwanted attraction to minors? And of course being a place were definitions matter was it limited to pedophiles or were those attracted to people going through puberty included as well.

Kind of like how in lots of studies it has changed from calling people gay men, to men who have sex with men. It gets rid of the identity and focuses on the behavior.
It's also about accuracy. They were not seeking to study only pedophiles, so that's not the right term to use even in the more common (and I'd say at this point overly expansive to the point of causing actual harm to the cause people expanded it to support) definition. This is like the people complaining about 'people who menstruate' when that was the best phrase for the exact thing they were talking about.

Besides all that, a large number of people who sexually assault minors are not attracted to minors in the same way that a large number of people who are attracted to minors don't assault them. I mean, damn, wait till they hear about 'gay for pay'.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 09:53 AM   #557
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Dave Chappelle has reached the "publicly arguing with high schoolers" stage of being an old, out of touch weirdo

Quote:
Andrew added that at the end of the evening, Chappelle proceeded to tell the students: "I am better at what I do than all of you in this room combined."

He added: "It was just a grotesque display of ego and narcissism."

Andrew later said that throughout the event, Chappelle — who appeared onstage with film cameras for a documentary — was reluctant to engage with the concerns of the students but continually told the audience that they "can't silence" him.

"He kept on saying, 'You can't silence me. How dare you try to silence me.' Not one person in that room was trying to silence him at all," Andrew said.
https://www.insider.com/dave-chappel...erview-2021-11
Old 27th November 2021, 10:49 AM   #558
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Dave Chappelle has reached the "publicly arguing with high schoolers" stage of being an old, out of touch weirdo

https://www.insider.com/dave-chappel...erview-2021-11
'Don't silence me' he said with a microphone from a stage at a required assembly.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2021, 07:56 PM   #559
dirtywick
Illuminator

you know, if it wasn't for people like Dave Chapelle who have the courage to stand there and force a bunch transgendered teens to listen to him berate them about how much better he is than they are, who knows where we would be as a society
Old 29th November 2021, 05:05 AM   #560
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

What I constantly keep wondering to myself is how much of this whole "cancel culture" freakout is just the side effects of the people panicking as they age and increasingly find themselves being "uncool" in the eyes of some younger generations. Comedians who spent their younger years being edgy and in touch with the cultural moment often seem to react pretty negatively as life moves on. The "hip comedian" to "old man yelling at cloud" pipeline never fails to deliver.

The fact that a huge age cohort, the baby boomers, is currently entering their elderly years and see their cultural dominance waning is probably at the root of a lot of this.

There's really no reason why people must age this gracelessly, and obviously the most deranged voices are the loudest.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 29th November 2021 at 05:07 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events