IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Bari Weiss , Heather Heying , Kathleen Stock , niall ferguson , Peter Boghossian , University of Austin

Old 8th November 2021, 09:56 AM   #1
angrysoba
Philosophile

University of Austin? A fearless institution pursuing truth or a shameless grift?

Bari Weiss, Niall Ferguson, Heather Heying, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Peter Boghossian, Kathleen Stock, and others are setting up a new university in Austin, Texas in opposition to what they see as the woke liberal establishments of presumably every other university (they call them “legacy universities”.

Currently they are seeking donations and publicity and have roped in some big names to boost their signal on social media such as Steven Pinker and Jonathon Haidt and Andrew Sullivan and many more people that you often hear complaining about the Wokesters.

They will have a summer course on “forbidden ideas”!

But is this project likely to succeed? Is it being set up with the best intentions?

Personally, I think some involved may have good intentions but others are probably just going to get their snouts in the trough as quickly as possible and this whole thing will fall apart in recrimination. The problem with setting yourself up as “teaching the controversy” is that there are always going to be some who are more controversial than others. Notably none of the so-called “caliper crew” seem to be involved - those famous for exploring race and IQ but does that mean that the university itself may end up being not as fearless as it claims? Will theirs be demands for way more controversy?

So is this the next Trump University? Will it be confused with actual university - the University of Texas, Austin? Would you pay good money to go there? Would you donate to this institution? Would you be happy for your kids to go there thinking they will get the best education?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2021, 10:03 AM   #2
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I'm starting "Shemp Harvard University" in Harvard, Mass. That make it twice as good as Harvard! And for a grift, er, I mean, gift, of $10 million or more, you can have your name on one of our outhouses prestigious edifices of edumacation! Give now! I mean it dammit, NOW!!! What are you waiting for? NOOOOOWWWWW!!!

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2021, 10:11 AM   #3
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I'm starting "Shemp Harvard University" in Harvard, Mass. That make it twice as good as Harvard! And for a grift, er, I mean, gift, of $10 million or more, you can have your name on one of our outhouses prestigious edifices of edumacation! Give now! I mean it dammit, NOW!!! What are you waiting for? NOOOOOWWWWW!!!
Sounds like their model and inspiration might be Trump U. And unlike Trump, they're not even promising anything.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2021, 10:15 AM   #4
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Sounds like their model and inspiration might be Trump U. And unlike Trump, they're not even promising anything.
I’m wondering how many people they are hoping to ensnare thinking they are applying for the University of Texas, Austin, and ending up outside some decrepit old building called University of Austin, Texas, wondering where the football team plays etc….
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2021, 10:20 AM   #5
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

You can tell Weiss is disingenuous because she says she's "tired of complaining" about anything.

ETA: As of yet they don't offer any degrees or full time education. Little more than a think-tank for the dumbest ghouls in the country.

If they ever get around to actually teaching students, I presume being on the Epstein flight log transfers at 15 credit hours.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 8th November 2021 at 10:22 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2021, 10:31 AM   #6
shemp

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I’m wondering how many people they are hoping to ensnare thinking they are applying for the University of Texas, Austin, and ending up outside some decrepit old building called University of Austin, Texas, wondering where the football team plays etc….
And "Shemp Harvard University" will have the most bestest football team on the planet! All we need is your money! Lots of it! Fifty zillion in donations will buy the best college football team you can imagine! Grift NOW!!!

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2021, 10:34 AM   #7
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

What makes you think there will even be a building? "Our 21st century technology allows you to take your classes on-line in your own home, wherever you are!"
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2021, 10:34 AM   #8
angrysoba
Philosophile

Oh Jesus! Their website FAQs are cringeworthy:

Quote:
IS UATX PUBLIC OR PRIVATE? NON-PROFIT OR FOR-PROFIT?

UATX is a private, non-profit institution. We are fiscally sponsored by Cicero Research, which is an exempt 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.

WHY AUSTIN?

If it's good enough for Elon Musk and Joe Rogan, it's good enough for us.

Old 8th November 2021, 10:37 AM   #9
angrysoba
Philosophile

What makes you think there will even be a building? "Our 21st century technology allows you to take your classes on-line in your own home, wherever you are!"
Quote:
DO YOU HAVE A PHYSICAL LOCATION?

Yes. Our headquarters are located in central Austin: 2112 Rio Grande Street, Austin, TX 78705

We are in the process of securing land in the Austin area for a campus.

LAND? ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Indeed. We are old school. We believe human beings think and learn better when they gather in dedicated locations, where they are, to some extent, insulated from the quotidian struggle to make ends meet, and where there is no fundamental distinction between those who teach and those who learn, beyond the extent of their knowledge and wisdom.
And…

Quote:
WILL UATX BE ONLINE?

Our classes will be almost exclusively in person. We may use some versions of online instruction to supplement our coursework. But we believe that the sort of transformation that is at the heart of education is most effectively achieved in face-to-face human communities.

That said, we plan to release digital educational content for free public consumption on our website.

Old 8th November 2021, 10:38 AM   #10
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
You can tell Weiss is disingenuous because she says she's "tired of complaining" about anything.

ETA: As of yet they don't offer any degrees or full time education. Little more than a think-tank for the dumbest ghouls in the country.

If they ever get around to actually teaching students, I presume being on the Epstein flight log transfers at 15 credit hours.
Every state regulates the use of terms like "college" and "university." Trump calling his operation a university got him sued in multiple states. This might go the same way.
Old 8th November 2021, 10:40 AM   #11
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Every state regulates the use of terms like "college" and "university." Trump calling his operation a university got him sued in multiple states. This might go the same way.
I doubt they ever offer any courses beyond maybe some long weekend seminar crap.
Old 8th November 2021, 10:45 AM   #12
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

And….
Well, that address is a former single-family house that has apparently been converted to offices.
https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2112...n-TX/20430972/

If they actually plan to buy land in an expensive city and put up classroom buildings, it will be many years before they welcome their first student. And they'll have to get state licensing first. Good luck.
Old 8th November 2021, 11:00 AM   #13
angrysoba
Philosophile

Well, that address is a former single-family house that has apparently been converted to offices.
https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2112...n-TX/20430972/

If they actually plan to buy land in an expensive city and put up classroom buildings, it will be many years before they welcome their first student. And they'll have to get state licensing first. Good luck.
Lol! Pretty obviously this is going to be a massive cluster ****. I was wondering who this “Cicero Research” is. It’s weird because it looks like some company in Salt Lake City with a grand total of 5 million dollars. Not much to bankroll a university. Funny how they say they are not going to bother paying for any admin. Insane that these people think admin for a university are just bloat when there are a million things to do at proper universities aside from paying academics. Besides they have a big advisory board right now and a few self-canceled teachers.

This will probably just be a few workshops of Peter Boghossian doing a kind of Steven Crowder style change my mind video-recorded meetings filmed by Andy Ngp where they decide trans people are putting it on or something.

Though maybe it will end up with Milo Yannopouous, Sargon of Akkad and the Proud Boys turning up to question if the Holocaust was not just some big hoax.

Old 8th November 2021, 11:01 AM   #14
shemp

A real right smart good university has to have buildings! Especially a HUGE football stadium. "Shemp Harvard University" will have the most biggest bestest football stadium which will seat over 300,000 people!*

* Note: To achieve this, eight people will be stacked in each seat. Also, several thousand will be seated on the playing field, and will be required to move themselves and their seats out of the way during each play.

Old 8th November 2021, 11:19 AM   #15
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

If you should have the misfortune of flunking out of Shemp Harvard, I hope you consider my up and coming University of Somewhere in Vermont. The sledding is very good, and the beer, though not free, is reasonable and artisanal. The curriculum is very green, too.

We are right now offering a full credit (one third of a cord per semester) course in Forest Thermal Technology, which covers the entire process of converting dead elm trees into a useful energy product.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2021, 11:38 AM   #16
shemp

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
If you should have the misfortune of flunking out of Shemp Harvard, I hope you consider my up and coming University of Somewhere in Vermont. The sledding is very good, and the beer, though not free, is reasonable and artisanal. The curriculum is very green, too.

We are right now offering a full credit (one third of a cord per semester) course in Forest Thermal Technology, which covers the entire process of converting dead elm trees into a useful energy product.
Do you have a football team? We need to discuss scheduling as soon as possible.

And also, NOBODY flunks out of Shemp Harvard! We take great care to rig our tests and grading procedures ensure that all students receive a quality education suited to their needs.

Last edited by shemp; 8th November 2021 at 11:40 AM.
Old 8th November 2021, 11:40 AM   #17
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

The University of Somewhere in Vermont also offers a variety of world class courses and facilities.

There is, for example, advanced interior decorating:

interior decorating.jpg

Industrial design:

industrial design.jpg

And, of course, animal husbandry (negotiating with Shemp for guest lecturer position):

animal husbandry.jpg

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2021, 11:44 AM   #18
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

And wait until you see our physical plant, a unique blend of the modern and traditional.

The Tower of Wisdom is central to the campus.

The Tower of Wisdom.jpg

Dormitory spaces are being prepared as we speak.

dormitory.jpg

And the massive playing fields are under construction.

field under construction.jpg

Old 8th November 2021, 11:51 AM   #19
Armitage72
Philosopher

The University of Somewhere in Vermont also offers a variety of world class courses and facilities.

And, of course, animal husbandry (negotiating with Shemp for guest lecturer position):

You're joking, but back in the early 2000s I did an asbestos inspection on an abandoned property that SUNY Cobleskill had acquired to add to their campus, and the college had cattle barns and fish hatcheries as part of their extensive agriculture program.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2021, 11:58 AM   #20
shemp

Pff, that's nothing.

Here's our world-renowned architectural masterpiece administration building:

Two views of our beautiful spacious dormitories:

And our state-of-the-art training ship for our nautical students:

You can't beat that!

Old 8th November 2021, 01:18 PM   #21
Planigale
Philosopher

Pff, that's nothing.

Here's our world-renowned architectural masterpiece administration building:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=12965

Two views of our beautiful spacious dormitories:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=12963

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=12964

And our state-of-the-art training ship for our nautical students:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=12966

You can't beat that!
(In Yorkshire accent)

Thars luxury, when I were lass ....
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2021, 01:51 PM   #22
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

But does your Audisgust institution have an art studio?

art studio.jpg

Or a regulation size squash court?

squash court.jpg

Old 8th November 2021, 02:02 PM   #23
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

"Places That Would Give Kevin Sorbo An Honorary Doctorate" for $400, Alex.
Old 8th November 2021, 02:49 PM   #24
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

And "Shemp Harvard University" will have the most bestest football team on the planet! All we need is your money! Lots of it! Fifty zillion in donations will buy the best college football team you can imagine! Grift NOW!!!
That gives me an idea. How about establishing a "university" for the sole purpose of fielding a college football team. The players won't even care that there are no actual classes, seeing as how they have no intention of attending them anyway. Line up some rich business people as "boosters", recruit the best high school players, build a stadium, and sell tickets. Profit.

ETA: Urban Meyer would be an obvious choice as head coach. He appears to be unencumbered by excessive ethics, and should be available no later than January.

Last edited by CORed; 8th November 2021 at 02:55 PM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2021, 03:03 PM   #25
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
That gives me an idea. How about establishing a "university" for the sole purpose of fielding a college football team. The players won't even care that there are no actual classes, seeing as how they have no intention of attending them anyway. Line up some rich business people as "boosters", recruit the best high school players, build a stadium, and sell tickets. Profit.

ETA: Urban Meyer would be an obvious choice as head coach. He appears to be unencumbered by excessive ethics, and should be available ho later than January.

Well, to play anybody else you'd have to get the approval of the NCAA and the other sports organizations and various state authorities, and chances of getting it would be very close to zero.

What I'd like to see is the reverse: Get colleges out of the business of high-profile sports. Let the NFL and NBA operate farm teams and minor leagues like MLB. Colleges could sponsor teams to carry their names if they wanted and collect TV revenue, but the players would be paid professional athletes. You could do away with the whole "student-athlete" fraud. Colleges could still have intramural teams for tun if they wanted, but players would be chosen by tryout from all students who had already been admitted for academic reasons. No recruiting, no athletic scholarships.
Old 8th November 2021, 04:07 PM   #26
Donal
Illuminator

Lol! Pretty obviously this is going to be a massive cluster ****. I was wondering who this “Cicero Research” is. It’s weird because it looks like some company in Salt Lake City with a grand total of 5 million dollars. Not much to bankroll a university. Funny how they say they are not going to bother paying for any admin.
There is a Cicero Research in Austin, but there doesn't seem to be much info about them.

Quote:
Insane that these people think admin for a university are just bloat when there are a million things to do at proper universities aside from paying academics. Besides they have a big advisory board right now and a few self-canceled teachers.
What's really weird is they are working with a bunch of college administrators.

Quote:
This will probably just be a few workshops of Peter Boghossian doing a kind of Steven Crowder style change my mind video-recorded meetings filmed by Andy Ngp where they decide trans people are putting it on or something.

Though maybe it will end up with Milo Yannopouous, Sargon of Akkad and the Proud Boys turning up to question if the Holocaust was not just some big hoax.
Professor Emeritus Dennis Prager will be giving the commencement speech.

But this does sound like a cross between Trump University and PragerU
Old 8th November 2021, 04:08 PM   #27
Donal
Illuminator

I bet part of the scam is to get the UT system to sue them or the Texas Department of Education to deny them so they can claim they are being silenced.
Old 8th November 2021, 04:12 PM   #28
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
I bet part of the scam is to get the UT system to sue them or the Texas Department of Education to deny them so they can claim they are being silenced.
Yes, I am pretty sure that playing the victim is part of the grift with this uni.

Old 8th November 2021, 05:53 PM   #29
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
There is a Cicero Research in Austin, but there doesn't seem to be much info about them.
Oh, it turns out that it is run by a Peter Thiel associate.

Link

Quote:
Also noted in the FAQs: the school is “fiscally sponsored” by a little-known nonprofit called Cicero Research. According to public filings, Cicero is affiliated with Joe Lonsdale, cofounder of the polarizing data-mining company Palantir. As of 2020, however—the most recently available filing—the nonprofit listed no assets.

Lonsdale is also a member of UATX’s board of advisers.

A spokesperson for the school said, “We’re very proud to have Joe Lonsdale both on our board and as one of our financial supporters.”

While less known than another Palantir cofounder, the former Trump-supporting billionaire Peter Thiel, Lonsdale has courted plenty of controversy himself.

Late last month, he assailed secretary of transportation Pete Buttigieg for taking a lengthy paternity leave. (Buttigieg's husband, Chasten, later announced that the baby has been dealing with health issues and spent a week on a ventilator.)

“Any man in an important position who takes 6 months of leave for a newborn is a loser,” Lonsdale tweeted. “In the old days men had babies and worked harder to provide for their future - that’s the correct masculine response.”

The University of Austin says it will launch this summer by offering “forbidden courses” to college students that will stir discussions about “provocative questions that often lead to censorship or self-censorship in many universities.”

Old 8th November 2021, 06:27 PM   #30
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

After being refused access to the existing college football circuit, you can semi-legitimately claim that "our team is so good, no one else wants to play against us!"

The best team that has never played a game!

I'll even give you the name: Shemp Harvard University Theoreticals.

T-Shirts with "S.H.U.T your Mouth!" on them sell themselves.
Old 8th November 2021, 06:36 PM   #31
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
After being refused access to the existing college football circuit, you can semi-legitimately claim that "our team is so good, no one else wants to play against us!"

The best team that has never played a game!

I'll even give you the name: Shemp Harvard University Theoreticals.

T-Shirts with "S.H.U.T your Mouth!" on them sell themselves.
I guess you've never lost a single game either.
Old 8th November 2021, 07:41 PM   #32
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Bari Weiss, Niall Ferguson, Heather Heying, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Peter Boghossian, Kathleen Stock, and others are setting up a new university in Austin, Texas in opposition to what they see as the woke liberal establishments of presumably every other university (they call them “legacy universities”.

Currently they are seeking donations and publicity and have roped in some big names to boost their signal on social media such as Steven Pinker and Jonathon Haidt and Andrew Sullivan and many more people that you often hear complaining about the Wokesters.

They will have a summer course on “forbidden ideas”!
I agree with the premise that our "legacy" Universities are being eroded by woke liberalism, and I like the idea of teaching forbidden ideas, but I don't think that's enough to start a University. Real, modern Universities have several colleges, lots and lots of money and professors in Economics, math, chemistry, physics, philosophy, law, biology, A&P, etc.

Are they going to have all that as well? I haven't looked into it too much, but it seems it would do better as a program within an existing University. I guess the rub is that most Universities today are run by wokescolds that don't like having their ideas challenged.

On the other hand, if they get a bunch of many fro Elon Musk or elsewhere and really make a run of it, it could amount to something or even have an influence on the way existing Universities operate.

Last edited by sir drinks-a-lot; 8th November 2021 at 07:43 PM.
sir drinks-a-lot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2021, 07:50 PM   #33
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Oh Jesus! Their website FAQs are cringeworthy:
WHY AUSTIN?

Sure, but then you cut off the part that indicated they were not being serious. The full question and answer:

Quote:
WHY AUSTIN?

But seriously: Texas is experiencing a historic boom in talent and capital. Austin, in particular, is a hub for builders, mavericks and creators—the kind of people our university aims to attract and from whom we want to receive guidance.
Old 8th November 2021, 08:08 PM   #34
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Sure, but then you cut off the part that indicated they were not being serious. The full question and answer:
Don't worry, I doubt I will accuse them of being serious.

Old 8th November 2021, 08:43 PM   #35
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I think someone misunderstood: animal husbandry does NOT mean you get to marry the animal.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2021, 09:13 PM   #36
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Attachment 45720
Interested
Old 8th November 2021, 09:43 PM   #37
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Here's a diploma from this fine institution. Since they are so much on the cadge just now, they had to re-use some older stock.

...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2021, 12:15 AM   #38
Venom
Philosopher

I agree with the premise that our "legacy" Universities are being eroded by woke liberalism, and I like the idea of teaching forbidden ideas, but I don't think that's enough to start a University. Real, modern Universities have several colleges, lots and lots of money and professors in Economics, math, chemistry, physics, philosophy, law, biology, A&P, etc.

Are they going to have all that as well? I haven't looked into it too much, but it seems it would do better as a program within an existing University. I guess the rub is that most Universities today are run by wokescolds that don't like having their ideas challenged.

On the other hand, if they get a bunch of many fro Elon Musk or elsewhere and really make a run of it, it could amount to something or even have an influence on the way existing Universities operate.
What forbidden ideas? Putting it that way makes it sound very Think Tanky and less a space where people are looking for objectivity.

I think a core skepticism/critical thinking course with open discussion and debate is the way to go. Replace the public speaking courses required for many 4-year programs.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2021, 11:03 AM   #39
carlitos
"más divertido"

........ I haven't looked into it too much, but it seems it would do better as a program within an existing University. I guess the rub is that most Universities today are run by wokescolds that don't like having their ideas challenged.
Conservatives and Libertarians have already done this: George Mason Universit,y the Hoover Institution at Stanford, Minerva Institute, what the Olin Foundation does at Harvard, etc.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2021, 12:32 PM   #40
rdwight
Muse

Seems like the talking point of comparing this to Trump U is cemented but does it actually have any resemblance to it? Doesn't look like it. It also feels like an odd spread of educators. 'Forbidden discussions' are all fine and good if it is replacing elective classes like '60's rock and it's cultural impact' but I think a focus on profitable majors would be a better avenue.
rdwight is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events