IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Bari Weiss , Heather Heying , Kathleen Stock , niall ferguson , Peter Boghossian , University of Austin

Old 9th November 2021, 03:30 PM   #41
Donal
Illuminator

Pandering to white grief is fairly profitable
Old 9th November 2021, 04:15 PM   #42
dirtywick
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post

Are they going to have all that as well? I haven't looked into it too much, but it seems it would do better as a program within an existing University. I guess the rub is that most Universities today are run by wokescolds that don't like having their ideas challenged.
Interesting that a bunch of people tired of having their ideas challenged are going to create a safe space where their ideas won't be challenged to teach us how to behave when ideas are challenged.

I guess we'll see what happens. Personally, I think it's quite the gamble to assume anyone wants to move across the country and pay tens of thousands of dollars to watch quasi-intellectual conservative manlets own the libs when they can watch Ben Shapiro do it for free from the comfort of their home, but I wish them well I guess.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2021, 01:44 AM   #43
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

UGA

University of Grift at Austin
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, bigots and homophobes to describe people who have a properly functioning moral compass!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2021, 01:48 AM   #44
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Well, to play anybody else you'd have to get the approval of the NCAA and the other sports organizations and various state authorities, and chances of getting it would be very close to zero.
Yet...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ll-img-academy
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, bigots and homophobes to describe people who have a properly functioning moral compass!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2021, 01:49 AM   #45
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
I bet part of the scam is to get the UT system to sue them or the Texas Department of Education to deny them so they can claim they are being silenced cancelled.
FTFY
Old 10th November 2021, 01:50 AM   #46
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
Interesting that a bunch of people tired of having their ideas challenged are going to create a safe space where their ideas won't be challenged to teach us how to behave when ideas are challenged.
I'm not familiar with all of the founders, but the ones I'm familiar with do like having their ideas challenged and engaging in the marketplace of ideas. Who specifically are you referring to?
Old 10th November 2021, 02:02 AM   #47
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
What forbidden ideas? Putting it that way makes it sound very Think Tanky and less a space where people are looking for objectivity.

I think a core skepticism/critical thinking course with open discussion and debate is the way to go. Replace the public speaking courses required for many 4-year programs.
In my day, Universities existed to teach students the things they needed to learn, and as a place to facilitate the research they needed to do, in order to earn their degrees. I went to Monash University for four years to earn my Aeronautical Engineering degree, not to have some random, radical professor bleating on about how they are being prevented from expressing their random radical views.

If you're a chemistry professor, stick to teaching chemistry; if you're a physics professor, stick to teaching physics; if you are an engineering professor, stick to teaching engineering... do the ******* job the University and the students pay you to do, and indulge in your radical political bull-**** in your own time.

Last edited by smartcooky; 10th November 2021 at 02:03 AM.
Old 10th November 2021, 03:07 AM   #48
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
In my day, Universities existed to teach students the things they needed to learn, and as a place to facilitate the research they needed to do, in order to earn their degrees. I went to Monash University for four years to earn my Aeronautical Engineering degree, not to have some random, radical professor bleating on about how they are being prevented from expressing their random radical views.

If you're a chemistry professor, stick to teaching chemistry; if you're a physics professor, stick to teaching physics; if you are an engineering professor, stick to teaching engineering... do the ******* job the University and the students pay you to do, and indulge in your radical political bull-**** in your own time.
Generally I agree, but I guess that some subjects like history or economics provide a platform for indulging in "radical political bull-****" whilst still sticking nominally to the subject (in the same way that teaching biology may leave space to introduce some religious bull-****).
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2021, 05:25 AM   #49
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

The right wing grifters truth-tellers are fighting among themselves:

Claire Lehmann, of Quilette and phrenology fame, is asking that the "university" only hire real scientists, not nuts like antivaxxers. Nut antivaxxer Weinstein takes offense to this.

https://twitter.com/BretWeinstein/st...58645624016897
Old 10th November 2021, 06:25 AM   #50
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post

Claire Lehmann, of Quilette and phrenology fame, is asking that the "university" only hire real scientists, not nuts like antivaxxers. Nut antivaxxer Weinstein takes offense to this.

Yeah, Claire Lehman is specifically referring to Heather Heying, Bret Weinstein's wife.

It's getting heated. Sam Harris has joined the Lehman tag team, while Eric is joining on the side of his brother...

...so I guess at least some of them really, really don't like having their ideas challenged at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The IDW meltdown continues.jpg (27.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg The IDW meltdown continues 1.jpg (33.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg The IDW meltdown continues 2.jpg (31.7 KB, 23 views)
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2021, 09:54 AM   #51
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Yeah, Claire Lehman is specifically referring to Heather Heying, Bret Weinstein's wife.

It's getting heated. Sam Harris has joined the Lehman tag team, while Eric is joining on the side of his brother...

...so I guess at least some of them really, really don't like having their ideas challenged at all.
Funny how it shows what little snowflakes they are. It's all about to paraphrase "not where they are" and "went down a different path" oh and their "feels". Science and truth be damned.
Old 10th November 2021, 01:49 PM   #52
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

They like dangerous ideas, but not those ones.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2021, 01:59 PM   #53
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Conservatives and Libertarians have already done this: George Mason Universit,y (sic, WTF?) the Hoover Institution at Stanford, Minerva Institute, what the Olin Foundation does at Harvard, etc.
Good point, although those are maybe not quite the same.

I think they'd be better off just starting with a "forbidden ideas" or whatever program and then if things go well expanding to a University later. Which it sounds like they're planning, but they probably shouldn't have announced it as a University right out of the gate.
Old 10th November 2021, 02:00 PM   #54
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I love it when smartcooky goes all Republican on us.
Old 10th November 2021, 02:09 PM   #55
Suddenly
No Punting

I didn't really know WTF this e-mail was about before I saw this thread, but I just... no really... what did I expect.... I mean.... The length of it... it reads like a parody, but all too real.

When I scanned it because I don't read this stuff I thought he was talking about being linked with UT or something. Here this is him continuing to fall hard for a right wing grift and just not taking the L and shutting up.

I mean, when he was doing stupid stuff at Ohio State at least their football team wasn't garbage.

Originally Posted by Gordon Gee

Dear West Virginia University Students, Faculty, Staff and Alumni,

I wish to address the concerns many of you have expressed regarding today’s announcement from the University of Austin.

First and foremost, let me state unequivocally that I am fully committed to West Virginia University. Our mission as a land-grant, flagship institution that serves our state and its people is – and will always be – my only priority. I am devoted to this University and to all of you who share in its past, present and future. I have no intentions of placing my energies elsewhere.

However, I have never been shy in sharing my thoughts on how higher education can – and must – improve if we are to have a positive impact on people’s lives. I have always stated that we need to improve quality while reducing costs, and that we must always be a place of free expression and dialogue.

Through the work of academic transformation on our campus over the past year, we are tackling the issue of creating an innovative and integrated educational experience. We are examining programs and processes to ensure that our students are receiving a high-quality academic education at the lowest possible cost, along with the critical services and supports they need to be successful.

We have also reaffirmed our commitment to create an inclusive, educational environment where there is the space to learn from each other – even those with whom we may fundamentally disagree. I have always strongly felt that every campus must be a haven where all ideas can be exchanged freely in a civil and thoughtful manner. This is the very tenant of academic freedom. I have spoken to this point frequently and remain committed to this ideal.

My involvement with the University of Austin has been in an advisory role to the new president, Dr. Pano Kanelos. Drawing on concepts from my most recent books, “Land-Grant Universities of the Future” and “What’s Public about Public Higher Ed?”, I have shared my insights on why I believe higher education must change. And I have provided examples of how we are working to change higher education at West Virginia University and within the state of West Virginia. I will always be open to partnerships that will advance the role of higher learning and the ways we can provide a space for thoughtful and meaningful experiences for our campus community.

Serving in an advisory capacity does not mean I believe or agree with everything that other advisors may share. I do not agree other universities are no longer seeking the truth nor do I feel that higher education is irreparably broken. I do not believe that to be the case at West Virginia University.

However, having devoted my life to higher education and served as a witness to an ever-changing landscape over time, I do agree that change needs to happen in terms of how higher education is perceived and supported. I am keenly aware that change cannot happen in a vacuum. It needs the breadth of ideas and the depths of challenging concepts to truly emerge stronger. Without these difficult conversations, nothing will advance.

While I know some are disappointed that I have served in this role of advisor, I did so with the highest intention to develop strategies that would improve and potentially benefit all of higher education. Sharing the innovation that is happening at West Virginia University and the vision we have for a brighter future will lift us all. It does not detract from, nor delay, the important and critical work we are doing here.

Again, I want to emphasize that I am fervently committed to leading West Virginia University. I remain focused on the land-grant mission and the people we serve. Though not all may agree with my decision to advise this new entity, I am hopeful we can agree that discussing higher education and its needs with a variety of constituents is beneficial. It is this much-needed exchange of ideas that will drive all of us forward.

Sincerely,

E. Gordon Gee
I mean, io;efiu;sdohwuoworg8wfjn086Y8DLKD8880)*y)*y)hobnkc bpdf

Sorry. I was banging the keyboard.

The good news is I feel better about tossing the alumni fundraiser stuff in the garbage now.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2021, 02:17 PM   #56
Venom
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Generally I agree, but I guess that some subjects like history or economics provide a platform for indulging in "radical political bull-****" whilst still sticking nominally to the subject (in the same way that teaching biology may leave space to introduce some religious bull-****).
My comparative religions instructor couldn't help but take shots at capitalism and made it clear by calling out random, often disinterested students and challenging them on it, in the middle of lectures about Jesus, Buddha and helping the poor. It was unreal. I was wondering whether he wasn't just parodying the "Radical Leftist professor" stereotype.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2021, 04:29 PM   #57
angrysoba
Philosophile

Geez! Here is Peter Boghossian using his time in the spotlight wisely to claim that the alt-right only means "someone not on the far left" according to "The Woke".

Do they really expect to attract reasonable, sensible donors to this university with this kind of crap?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boghossian alt right.jpg (24.5 KB, 23 views)
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2021, 04:47 PM   #58
dirtywick
Illuminator

not sure such a fragile ego should be provoking people on Twitter
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2021, 04:50 PM   #59
dirtywick
Illuminator

I'm not familiar with all of the founders, but the ones I'm familiar with do like having their ideas challenged and engaging in the marketplace of ideas. Who specifically are you referring to?
anyone a few student activists caused to limp away from their last gig. so most of them

besides, they don't have a very diverse group of faculty and don't seem to be trying to create one for a group who likes open dialogue and ideas challenged.
Old 10th November 2021, 05:08 PM   #60
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Geez! Here is Peter Boghossian using his time in the spotlight wisely to claim that the alt-right only means "someone not on the far left" according to "The Woke".

Do they really expect to attract reasonable, sensible donors to this university with this kind of crap?
I hate this guy because his ilk make those of us who think that a lot of silliness is commited in the name of being "woke" look bad.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2021, 05:09 PM   #61
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
anyone a few student activists caused to limp away from their last gig. so most of them

besides, they don't have a very diverse group of faculty and don't seem to be trying to create one for a group who likes open dialogue and ideas challenged.
Yeah, they are just one bunch of probaby mindless ideologues shouting at another bunch of mindless ideologues.
BTW the guy seems unaware that the term alr right was coined by racist to give a name to their movement.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 10th November 2021 at 05:10 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2021, 05:12 PM   #62
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
My comparative religions instructor couldn't help but take shots at capitalism and made it clear by calling out random, often disinterested students and challenging them on it, in the middle of lectures about Jesus, Buddha and helping the poor. It was unreal. I was wondering whether he wasn't just parodying the "Radical Leftist professor" stereotype.
Mindless ideologues come in all political flavors.
It is easy to pick them out when they come from the side of the spectrum you are on; but what is harder, and much more important, is to pick them out on the side of the spectrum you are on.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th November 2021, 01:56 PM   #63
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Mindless ideologues come in all political flavors.
It is easy to pick them out when they come from the side of the spectrum you are not on; but what is harder, and much more important, is to pick them out on the side of the spectrum you are on.
FTFY.

(I think I actually did, this time.)
Old 11th November 2021, 02:50 PM   #64
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
I didn't really know WTF this e-mail was about before I saw this thread, but I just... no really... what did I expect.... I mean.... The length of it... it reads like a parody, but all too real.

When I scanned it because I don't read this stuff I thought he was talking about being linked with UT or something. Here this is him continuing to fall hard for a right wing grift and just not taking the L and shutting up.

I mean, when he was doing stupid stuff at Ohio State at least their football team wasn't garbage.

I mean, io;efiu;sdohwuoworg8wfjn086Y8DLKD8880)*y)*y)hobnkc bpdf

Sorry. I was banging the keyboard.

The good news is I feel better about tossing the alumni fundraiser stuff in the garbage now.

Note that this guy is the president of West Virginia University, the state's top public university.
https://www.wvu.edu/about-wvu/leadership
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2021, 04:46 PM   #65
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

This exchange with one of the founders* really highlights the insipid nature of "debate culture." It's not about being right, it's about being in the spotlight.

*I'm not actually sure if Caitlin is a founder, as her connection with the project, as well as everything else about it, is not very clear
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2021, 06:01 PM   #66
rdwight
Muse

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
This exchange with one of the founders* really highlights the insipid nature of "debate culture." It's not about being right, it's about being in the spotlight.

*I'm not actually sure if Caitlin is a founder, as her connection with the project, as well as everything else about it, is not very clear
I mean, besides a twitter user framing this as such, is this really an undebatable discussion? No historian myself but those that commented on it seem to agree with the thrust of her argument.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2021, 07:54 PM   #67
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
I mean, besides a twitter user framing this as such, is this really an undebatable discussion? No historian myself but those that commented on it seem to agree with the thrust of her argument.
She's contesting a series of easily-researched facts. That's not a debate in any meaningful sense. Any halfway reasonable person in her position being corrected like this would look up the info and say, "Oh, my bad, thanks for clearing that up."

This all seemed to stem from her misidentifying Adams' favorite book, which was actually a different book by Cicero. Then she starts making up a narrative that Cicero was writing about the fall of Rome (off by several centuries, there) and doubling down on all the blatant falsehood. It's not the first time she's done this sort of thing. Once, upon mixing up the Ayatollah Khomeini with the Ayatollah Khamenei (an innocent mistake), she doubled down by saying, "I think they speak through history with one voice."

I think the people of Austin deserve better.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2021, 08:45 PM   #68
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Sure, but then you cut off the part that indicated they were not being serious. The full question and answer:
Interesting explanation ... is Austin no longer the most liberal large city in Texas?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2021, 09:38 PM   #69
rdwight
Muse

She's contesting a series of easily-researched facts. That's not a debate in any meaningful sense. Any halfway reasonable person in her position being corrected like this would look up the info and say, "Oh, my bad, thanks for clearing that up."

This all seemed to stem from her misidentifying Adams' favorite book, which was actually a different book by Cicero. Then she starts making up a narrative that Cicero was writing about the fall of Rome (off by several centuries, there) and doubling down on all the blatant falsehood.
That's not actually what she said. One of his fav vs fav is a minor distinction but it is not like he had a facebook listing with his favorite book list to reference. To point to that as some kind of gotcha seems limited. It lands in the same realm as the professor that points out the totality of the text wasn't published until after Adam's presidency, as if the portions he quotes in "Defence of the Constitutions of the United States" were not readily available to him before then. It's completely disingenuous.

Beyond that, while she says 'while Rome was dying' and is called on it, being just a tiny bit generous to her meaning to be the dying of the the Roman Republic makes it far more in line with what Adams refers to, doesn't it?

All this could be easily fleshed out if not for the thirst for gotcha twitter screenshots.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2021, 10:45 PM   #70
angrysoba
Philosophile

This all seemed to stem from her misidentifying Adams' favorite book, which was actually a different book by Cicero. Then she starts making up a narrative that Cicero was writing about the fall of Rome (off by several centuries, there) and doubling down on all the blatant falsehood. It's not the first time she's done this sort of thing. Once, upon mixing up the Ayatollah Khomeini with the Ayatollah Khamenei (an innocent mistake), she doubled down by saying, "I think they speak through history with one voice."

I think the people of Austin deserve better.
It's not the most embarassing thing she posted in the opening week of this university...
Attached Images
File Type: png caitlin.png (28.6 KB, 33 views)

Old 11th November 2021, 10:53 PM   #71
angrysoba
Philosophile

What the **** is this?

Old 13th November 2021, 08:38 AM   #72
mumblethrax
Species traitor

What the **** is this?
I assume someone took UoA's information design course.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2021, 09:20 AM   #73
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 14th November 2021, 08:43 PM   #74
dann
Penultimate Amazing

That is tradition:

Quote:
At Bryan University, for example, attracting rich and famous celebrity support was the easy part. The hard part was getting all those celebrities to agree on what exactly the new university would teach.
Will the University of Austin Succeed? (Slate, Nov 11, 2021)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2021, 06:39 AM   #75
Suddenly
No Punting

I don't think reasonable, sensible donors is what they care about. Money from rash hotheaded jerks spends just as well. Plus they suckered in as a consultant a guy who has been a university president since 1981 at:

WVU
Brown
Vanderbilt
Ohio State
WVU

You don't have that career if you can't fundraise.

This whole thing is a grift, Gee is a fool, and even it if isn't a grift a University built around hostility to education will end in morons squabbling over what nonsense to teach. Even if it gets off the ground the graduates can look forward to loan payments they can't make for a degree that might as well have "employment poison" written on it.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2021, 02:23 PM   #76
angrysoba
Philosophile

So soon?

Quote:
Iwas asked to serve in an advisory role to the University of Austin by its founding president, Dr. Pano Kanelos. This board had no fiduciary, oversight or management responsibilities. While the new organization’s commitment to a liberal arts education and free expression reflects topics that are very important to me, I resigned from the Advisory Board on November 11, noting that the new university made a number of statements about higher education in general, largely quite critical, that diverged very significantly from my own views.
Link

Old 15th November 2021, 06:41 PM   #77
angrysoba
Philosophile

Oops! Pinker has left as well now!

I consider him to be the most respectable academic they had.

Most of the rest are just admin bods, newspaper columnists and culture warriors.

Old 16th November 2021, 07:31 AM   #78
Donal
Illuminator

Are they canceling themselves?
Old 16th November 2021, 08:44 AM   #79
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Oops! Pinker has left as well now!

I consider him to be the most respectable academic they had.

Most of the rest are just admin bods, newspaper columnists and culture warriors.
A week ago, someone on Twitter (can't remember the name) likened this whole experiment to a dog-catches-car moment for those critical of campus culture. That prediction appears to be panning out.
Old 16th November 2021, 05:30 PM   #80
angrysoba
Philosophile

Some good piss-taking out of the UATX by Very Bad Wizards:

Link

I LOL'd at Peter ******* Boghossian.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events