IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags China issues , sexual assault issues

Old 17th November 2021, 05:10 PM   #1
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

The Peng Shuai Affair

What seems to have happened is Peng Shuai, a major name in Chinese tennis went public with an accusation that a major figure in Chinese politics sexually assaulted her.

She's then gone missing and now an email has surfaced with her name on it essentially stating that she made a 'mistake' and is resting at home.

Quote:
There are fresh concerns for the safety of Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai after state media sent an email purportedly from Peng to the WTA.

Peng, a former Wimbledon and French Open doubles champion, hasn't been heard from since alleging two weeks ago that a powerful Chinese politician sexually assaulted her.

A number of top players, including Novak Djokovic and Naomi Osaka, have expressed their concerns for Peng, with the WTA unable to contact her.

But an email purportedly written by Peng added an explosive new twist in the scandal on Wednesday.
The Yahoo News article linked below includes the full text of the email.

https://au.yahoo.com/sports/tennis-2...231345264.html

A more chilling demonstration of 'power and privilage' I cannot think of.

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2021, 05:24 PM   #2
Warp12
Illuminator

Quote:
“Hello everyone this is Peng Shuai," the email reads.

“Regarding the recent news released on the official website of the WTA, the content has not been confirmed or verified by myself and it was released without my consent.

“The news in that release, including the allegation of sexual assault, is not true. I’m not missing, nor am I unsafe. I’ve just been resting at home and everything is fine. Thank you again for caring about me.

“If the WTA publishes any more news about me, please verify it with me, and release it with my consent. As a professional tennis player, I thank you all for your companionship and consideration.

“I hope to promote Chinese tennis with you all if I have the chance in the future. I hope Chinese tennis will become better and better.

“Once again, thank you for your consideration.”
Hmm.
Old 17th November 2021, 09:13 PM   #3
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Does she normally speak like a middle aged grocery store worker reading off specials over a loudspeaker?

And I keep reading the damn title as The Feng Shui Affair and I think we are going to talk about design tips, or at least discrete infidelities.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2021, 09:34 PM   #4
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Quote:
“Hello everyone this is Peng Shuai," the email reads.

“Regarding the recent news released on the official website of the WTA, the content has not been confirmed or verified by myself and it was released without my consent.

“The news in that release, including the allegation of sexual assault, is not true. I’m not missing, nor am I unsafe. I’ve just been resting at home and everything is fine. Thank you again for caring about me.

“If the WTA publishes any more news about me, please verify it with me, and release it with my consent. As a professional tennis player, I thank you all for your companionship and consideration.

“I hope to promote Chinese tennis with you all if I have the chance in the future. I hope Chinese tennis will become better and better.

“Once again, thank you for your consideration.”
Well, I'm glad that's settled.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2021, 09:53 PM   #5
Venom
Philosopher

hmmmmm...
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2021, 06:18 AM   #6
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Peng Shuai???
I hope to promote Chinese tennis with you all if I have the chance in the future.
That is, if I'm not dead or locked up in some godawful gulag...

Last edited by Mike!; 18th November 2021 at 06:22 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2021, 10:16 AM   #7
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Does she normally speak like a middle aged grocery store worker reading off specials over a loudspeaker?
Actually - more than anything, her writing style reminds me of the widow of an African general who needs to move $34 million out of Sudan.
Old 18th November 2021, 05:45 PM   #8
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if China is now going to try to pull off a pretaped "deep fake?"
Old 18th November 2021, 06:00 PM   #9
rockinkt
Master Poster

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Actually - more than anything, her writing style reminds me of the widow of an African general who needs to move $34 million out of Sudan.
Do you know her too? What a coincidence! I just sent her a check for $12,000 to help her get that money out of the country.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2021, 12:39 PM   #10
Thurkon
Critical Thinker

Confusing

I am attaching her original message (the one that got removed within twenty minutes). What's confusing is that, if the translation is accurate, there really isn't any explicit accusation of sexual assault. He used his power, her vulnerability, and a very bizarre situation to perhaps apply pressure, but it's very vague what actually happened. It is clear, however, that Peng had very deep feelings for this man who she had a relationship with and felt abandoned by him not once, but twice. Unless I have interpreted this incorrectly, she sounds more like a jilted lover than an assault victim, but again...that's just my interpretation of the English interpretation.

Yet the press seems to be echoing the phrase "sexual assault". I'm just wondering, since she is not available to make the accusation herself, where this is coming from?

Regardless whether consensual, manipulated, or forced...this poor lady needs to be found.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peng.jpg (133.5 KB, 28 views)

-Monty Python's Flying Circus
Thurkon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2021, 05:07 PM   #11
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Exactly, but the Chinese Government is now in a situation they don't like to be in...

Quote:
Chinese state media has hit back at the governing body of women's tennis, the WTA, after it threatened to cancel lucrative tournaments in the country, in response to the Peng Shuai controversy.

The outcry over the whereabouts of Peng has escalated with the WTA saying it is prepared to pull its tournaments out of China over the issue, with the United Nations also asking for proof of her safety and security.

https://au.yahoo.com/sports/tennis-p...220825431.html

...ironically this might be harder to 'sweep under the rug' in the same way their treatment of ethnic minorities is.

Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2021, 04:52 AM   #12
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thurkon View Post
I am attaching her original message (the one that got removed within twenty minutes). What's confusing is that, if the translation is accurate, there really isn't any explicit accusation of sexual assault. He used his power, her vulnerability, and a very bizarre situation to perhaps apply pressure, but it's very vague what actually happened. It is clear, however, that Peng had very deep feelings for this man who she had a relationship with and felt abandoned by him not once, but twice. Unless I have interpreted this incorrectly, she sounds more like a jilted lover than an assault victim, but again...that's just my interpretation of the English interpretation.

Yet the press seems to be echoing the phrase "sexual assault". I'm just wondering, since she is not available to make the accusation herself, where this is coming from?
Probably comes from the words "why did you come back to me, take me to your house and force me to have sex with you?"
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2021, 07:25 PM   #13
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Further international coverage, including references to other cases of the Chinese Govt making people they deem 'embarrasing' go away...

Quote:
The disappearance of tennis star Peng Shuai in China following her accusation of sexual assault against a former top Communist Party official has shined a spotlight on similar cases involving political dissidents, entertainers, business leaders and others who have run afoul of the authorities.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/more...ces/ar-AAQVbs1

Old 21st November 2021, 03:26 PM   #14
Meridian
Critical Thinker

It seems that's she's safe, according to the BBC. Of course it's still not completely clear what that means.

But I was already wondering earlier: if I were leading a repressive regime, I would try to arrange suspicious sounding circumstances around people that I might have been suspected of disappearing, and then after a while allow them to reveal that they hadn't actually (been) disappeared. It gathers a lot of attention and could lead to a kind of `crying wolf' scenario, reducing the attention to future actual disappearances.

But perhaps this is excessively cynical.
Meridian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2021, 03:54 PM   #15
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
It seems that's she's safe, according to the BBC. Of course it's still not completely clear what that means.

But I was already wondering earlier: if I were leading a repressive regime, I would try to arrange suspicious sounding circumstances around people that I might have been suspected of disappearing, and then after a while allow them to reveal that they hadn't actually (been) disappeared. It gathers a lot of attention and could lead to a kind of `crying wolf' scenario, reducing the attention to future actual disappearances.

But perhaps this is excessively cynical.

Originally Posted by Arthur Dent in "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.

Last edited by Mike!; 21st November 2021 at 03:55 PM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2021, 04:32 PM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
The BBC makes it extremely clear what that means.

The BBC also makes it extremely clear it's not "according to the BBC". The BBC is reporting that Olympic officials have claimed that she has told them she's safe.
Old 21st November 2021, 05:04 PM   #17
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Probably comes from the words "why did you come back to me, take me to your house and force me to have sex with you?"
But the next paragraph begins "That afternoon, after I refused you...", so it isn't clear what actually happened (at least not to me).

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2021, 05:07 PM   #18
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

He forced himself on her, she resisted, the encounter ended short of consummation, and now she's a PR liability and therefore an enemy of the state.
Old 22nd November 2021, 01:36 AM   #19
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
Exactly, but the Chinese Government is now in a situation they don't like to be in...
I'm glad the WTA did what they did. In all likelihood they are the reason that Peng has lately and suddenly appeared via video conference facilitated by the Chinese government to announce that she was "safe".
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 06:29 AM   #20
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thurkon View Post

Regardless whether consensual, manipulated, or forced...this poor lady needs to be found.

I suspect that the debate in this thread is probably taking place in the absence of knowledge of something that's been fairly common currency in the world of elite women's tennis for quite some time now.

When a young kid (I mean around the age of 9-10) is showing serious tennis talent, that kid needs money and patronage to take their promise forwards, via intensive (and very expensive) training camps and funding of their amateur and early-pro careers, if they're to stand any realistic chance of becoming one of the world's top pros in the future.

In countries such as the US, UK, Australia and Germany, it's often the case that the kids either come from reasonably wealthy families, or else they are able to secure funding from transparent relationships with either financial institutions or national tennis associations (for example, Emma Raducanu's very expensive apprenticeship was funded partly by a financial services company and partly by the LTA). This funding is provided on a quasi-venture-capital basis, or similar to the ways in which budding new music artists are (or more accurately: used to be) funded by record companies: the financial outlay is recoupable upon any future pro success by the player, and there's an inbuilt expectation that most of the players funded in this way will never be recoupable.

However, over the past 20-30 years or so, a very distasteful parallel system has been operating in, shall we say, less transparent countries - exclusively concerning young female tennis prospects. It's no coincidence whatsoever that the likes of Russia, China and many central/eastern-European countries have produced vastly more top female pro players than top male pro players. And here's the reason:

Talented and aspiring young (again, typically aged 9-10 or so) female players are identified in these countries. However, instead of being supported by transparent institutions, they are instead supported by powerful and wealthy individuals (or sometimes small consortia of wealthy individuals). And with that support comes an implied quid-pro-quo: as the player develops into adulthood, there's an expectation that she will be required to have some form of sexual relationship with the man/men paying the bills. A particularly invidious element in this process is that the young female will have been being groomed from her early adolescence onwards, to the point where they don't see the subsequent sexual-relations part as being immoral or even unpleasant. And the parents learn to accept it too (or, if they don't, they soon find their daughter cast onto the scrapheap instead of providing them with wealth beyond their dreams as a touring pro player).

I think this is precisely what's been going on with Peng over all these years (and why there's an element of Stockholm Syndrome going on). It's also somewhat common knowledge on the WTA that Sharapova - whose parents were lower-middle-class and from the provinces - was in a similar arrangement for many, many years into her pro career (all those years at Bollettieri in Florida, plus subsistence for her and her family, plus the crazy-expensive funding for her plus a coach in her amateur and early-pro careers... don't come cheap or without a certain degree of palm-greasing).

There are at least several other current WTA Top-100 players who are likewise believed to be in a similar situation. And anyone who believes that Petra Kvitova happened to have her left (dominant) hand sliced open in a "random burglary gone wrong" (official explanation), might apply to me regarding a bridge I'm currently selling: she'd threatened to cut off her, ahem, "benefactor" and was being sent a message.

The Peng situation is, I'm afraid, very likely to be a manifestation of exactly this horrible state of affairs. The one thing I'd hope (and currently believe) is that no physical harm has actually come to her as yet - that she's merely been sequestered away to stop the inconvenient truth coming out, as well as perhaps being "re-educated". Now that China knows the heat is on, however, I'd expect them to spend another several days or so intensively "re-educating" Peng - and reminding her of what she can and cannot say - then "release" her back into the global village.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 06:36 AM   #21
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

(I should add that in these "Svengali"-style arrangements, the man (or men) still expect to recoup their financial outlay should the player become a high-earning touring pro. It's just that they also expect these "ancilliary services" from the player, as a recognition of their generosity and beneficence in agreeing to fund the player in the first place....)
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 07:10 PM   #22
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Reading her original message, she sounds (and I'm trying to be delicate here) mentally ill.

She might be in hospital or in care of some sort.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 07:22 PM   #23
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Reading her original message, she sounds (and I'm trying to be delicate here) mentally ill.

If I were the Chinese government, this is exactly the kind of counter propaganda I would commission to give plausible deniability to my shenanigans.

But I wouldn't have to commission any such thing, since useful idiots would carry this water for me without question anyway
Old 22nd November 2021, 07:37 PM   #24
Orphia Nay
Tagger

The Peng Shuai Affair

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
If I were the Chinese government, this is exactly the kind of counter propaganda I would commission to give plausible deniability to my shenanigans.

But I wouldn't have to commission any such thing, since useful idiots would carry this water for me without question anyway

The Chinese government made her write or they wrote the original message, then removed it?

What an imaginative conspiracy.

Last edited by Orphia Nay; 22nd November 2021 at 07:39 PM.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 09:13 PM   #25
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I agree she sounds messed up, at least according to the english translation. But I believe her, and I don't believe the Chinese command structure is acting out of any concern for her welfare. Quite the contrary.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 10:03 PM   #26
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
I agree she sounds messed up, at least according to the english translation. But I believe her, and I don't believe the Chinese command structure is acting out of any concern for her welfare. Quite the contrary.

Perhaps they're acting more out of a sense of pride for their country and they are taking care of her in some way so she doesn't cause them to lose face.
Old 22nd November 2021, 10:26 PM   #27
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

A couple things to consider:
- Non-native English speakers often phrase things differently than a native English speaker would, so their statements can appear strange to a native English speaker.
- The statement doesn't have the errors typically made by Chinese who are writing or speaking in English, leaving open the possibility that someone else translated her statement from Chinese to English.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 10:49 PM   #28
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Perhaps they're acting more out of a sense of pride for their country and they are taking care of her in some way so she doesn't cause them to lose face.
Yes, I'm sure they're "taking care of her" alright.
Old 22nd November 2021, 11:00 PM   #29
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Why this selfie from Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai, featuring a photo of Winnie the Pooh in the background, is causing a stir online

Quote:
A photo of Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai posted on Twitter by a Chinese state media reporter has been fuelling online debate.

On Saturday, Shen Shiwei from CGTN, the English-language arm of China Central Television, posted photos of a seemingly happy Ms Peng on Twitter, which is officially blocked in China.

The state TV employee wrote the photos were posted on Ms Peng's WeChat account with the comment, "Happy Weekend".

They were the first photos of Ms Peng since her apparent disappearance earlier this month, after she publicly accused a former high ranking Communist Party leader of sexual assault.

While some have debated whether or not the photos are proof that she is safe, others have speculated on the significance of one image in particular that includes a photo frame in the background featuring Winnie the Pooh.

Winnie the Pooh has special meaning in China, where the character has been used as a mocking stand-in for President Xi Jinping...
Old 22nd November 2021, 11:16 PM   #30
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Yes, I'm sure they're "taking care of her" alright.

What do you think they're doing to her?
Old 23rd November 2021, 08:46 AM   #31
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

At the very least they're controlling her access to the rest of the world, and controlling the world's access to her. Which is already far beyond the pale, in my opinion. Remember when gymnast Rachael Denhollander accused Dr Nassar of sexual abuse, so the US government sequestered her for her own wellbeing and out of a sense of national pride? Of course you don't remember that, because the US government doesn't do that sort of thing. The Chinese government does, though.
Old 23rd November 2021, 09:17 AM   #32
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I think they tried to disappear her and any mention of her until world pressure forced them to fake a retraction and release carefully staged photographs. When that went over like a lead balloon, they made her available for a 30 minute interview with their IOC business partners, while making it perfectly clear to her what she was expected to say.

Last edited by trustbutverify; 23rd November 2021 at 09:29 AM.
Old 23rd November 2021, 09:29 AM   #33
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

I think they tried to disappear her and any mention of her until world pressure forced them to fake a retraction and release carefully staged photographs. When that went over like a lead balloon, they made her available for a 30 minute interview with their IOC business partners, while they made it perfectly clear to her would she was expected to say.

I agree.

I think they also bargained upon the WTA Tour - which is also in business with PRC to a significant extent (though not as much as the IoC wrt Beijing 2022) - would be more conciliatory than it's turned out to be. I think they thought they'd be able to style things out while "business as usual" pushed the matter further back out of public/political consciousness.

So I suspect they've been shaken by the WTA Tour taking such a hard stance, and so quickly. As I said before, I think the most likely outcome from here is that they'll do a bit more drip-feeding of "nothing to see here" information for the next week or two, while they focus internally on, uhm, "reprogramming" Peng to do and say the things they want her to do/say. Then comes the grand reveal, and (say) the 60-Minutes interview.
Old 23rd November 2021, 06:35 PM   #34
Orphia Nay
Tagger

At the very least they're controlling her access to the rest of the world, and controlling the world's access to her. Which is already far beyond the pale, in my opinion. Remember when gymnast Rachael Denhollander accused Dr Nassar of sexual abuse, so the US government sequestered her for her own wellbeing and out of a sense of national pride? Of course you don't remember that, because the US government doesn't do that sort of thing. The Chinese government does, though.

What does that have to do with how she sounds in her original post?
Old 23rd November 2021, 06:41 PM   #35
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

What does that have to do with how she sounds in her original post?
I answered the question you asked. All I really know is that they're sequestering her. Hopefully that's the extent of it, but that's already bad enough, in my opinion.

As to how she sounds, it's a translation. I don't put much stock in how someone sounds in a translation.
Old 23rd November 2021, 06:45 PM   #36
Orphia Nay
Tagger

How do people know they're sequestering her?

She's appeared in public (unless anyone has proof otherwise).

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...l-condemnation
Old 23rd November 2021, 06:58 PM   #37
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I answered the question you asked. All I really know is that they're sequestering her. Hopefully that's the extent of it, but that's already bad enough, in my opinion.

As to how she sounds, it's a translation. I don't put much stock in how someone sounds in a translation.
You don't know that. You have a theory that describes the events...but you don't have a lot of evidence for the theory.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2021, 07:32 PM   #38
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
I agree.

I think they also bargained upon the WTA Tour - which is also in business with PRC to a significant extent (though not as much as the IoC wrt Beijing 2022) - would be more conciliatory than it's turned out to be. I think they thought they'd be able to style things out while "business as usual" pushed the matter further back out of public/political consciousness.

So I suspect they've been shaken by the WTA Tour taking such a hard stance, and so quickly. As I said before, I think the most likely outcome from here is that they'll do a bit more drip-feeding of "nothing to see here" information for the next week or two, while they focus internally on, uhm, "reprogramming" Peng to do and say the things they want her to do/say. Then comes the grand reveal, and (say) the 60-Minutes interview.
Pretty much how I see things unfolding. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 24th November 2021, 11:14 PM   #39
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

How do people know they're sequestering her?
The reason the concern started to begin was that Peng suddenly cut off all interpersonal communication with friends, colleagues, and sports organizations shortly after making a public post about having been assaulted by a prominent government official.

While the government itself has released some publicity shots from incidents such as this one, and...facilitated an online chat between her and the WTA, that initial problem of her not communicating with anyone the way she had been up until that moment has apparently not changed, from which it can be deduced that whatever special circumstance caused that change in the first place hasn't been resolved yet.

It's fine and good for state media to release a video of her silently waving at people; but did any independent news organizations happen to see her when she entered the venue, or when she left? Did she come and go by herself? Did she actually stay and watch some of the action at the event, or was she whisked away after waving for the cameras?
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2021, 11:23 PM   #40
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
The reason the concern started to begin was that Peng suddenly cut off all interpersonal communication with friends, colleagues, and sports organizations shortly after making a public post about having been assaulted by a prominent government official.

While the government itself has released some publicity shots from incidents such as this one, and...facilitated an online chat between her and the WTA, that initial problem of her not communicating with anyone the way she had been up until that moment has apparently not changed, from which it can be deduced that whatever special circumstance caused that change in the first place hasn't been resolved yet.

It's fine and good for state media to release a video of her silently waving at people; but did any independent news organizations happen to see her when she entered the venue, or when she left? Did she come and go by herself? Did she actually stay and watch some of the action at the event, or was she whisked away after waving for the cameras?

My skepticism sees a "God of the gaps" argument in this, where no evidence is ever good enough.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events