IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st November 2021, 05:15 PM   #1
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Terror attack in Wisconsin

Police are responding to a mass casualty incident in Waukesha, Wisconsin after a car plowed into a crowd of people during a holiday parade.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2021, 05:22 PM   #2
Matthew Best
Philosopher

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...consin-reports
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2021, 05:29 PM   #3
Matthew Best
Philosopher

https://nypost.com/2021/11/21/suv-dr...e-shots-fired/

Quote:
One witness reported that the driver ran over “several elderly women” while firing a weapon from his window.”Right in front of my family, this man drives through the parade hitting as many people as possible while shooting out the window,” a parade attendee tweeted. “He ran over several elderly women who were dancing in the parade and many others please pray for everyone in Waukesha.
Old 21st November 2021, 05:41 PM   #4
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Reuters is no doubt well known for publishing fake news. I did a google search, what's stopping you? Being in the period of fog of war and uncertainty about events is not what is meant by fake news.
Old 21st November 2021, 05:56 PM   #5
Matthew Best
Philosopher

A number of people have been injured after a vehicle plowed into a Christmas parade on Sunday in Waukesha, Wisconsin.

There were reports of possible shots fired during the incident in the Milwaukee suburb.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...61852.html?amp
Old 21st November 2021, 06:00 PM   #6
Matthew Best
Philosopher

From CNN’s Arlette Saenz

The White House is monitoring the situation in Waukesha, Wisconsin, according to a White House official.

Waukesha Police said more than 20 people were injured after an SUV ran through the city's Christmas parade earlier this evening.

Officials have recovered the suspected vehicle, and they are looking into a person of interest, Waukesha Police Chief Dan Thompson said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21st November 2021, 06:27 PM   #7
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
A number of people have been injured after a vehicle plowed into a Christmas parade on Sunday in Waukesha, Wisconsin.
Maybe this would have been a better headline.

Local news is claiming one dead.
Old 21st November 2021, 07:55 PM   #8
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Based on the CNN video and a local TV station video, it's not clear that it was a terrorist attack. The SUV drove past groups of spectators and a police officer who was manning a barricade and past some of the groups in the parade and didn't appear to hit anyone until it reached a place where the entire road was blocked by a marching band and spectators, and appeared to be trying to squeeze between the band and the spectators. The driver could have easily run over a bunch of people well before they actually did run over people.

Last edited by TellyKNeasuss; 21st November 2021 at 08:01 PM.
TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2021, 08:04 PM   #9
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
Based on the CNN video and a local TV station video, it's not clear that it was a terrorist attack. The SUV drove past groups of spectators and a police officer who was manning a barricade and past some of the groups in the parade and didn't appear to hit anyone until it reached a place where the entire road was blocked by a marching band and spectators, and appeared to be trying to squeeze between the band and the spectators. The driver could have easily run over a bunch of people well before they actually did run over people.
The headline does not say Terrorist. It says Terror. I think it fits that definition.
Old 21st November 2021, 08:25 PM   #10
GraculusTheGreenBird
Critical Thinker

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59369492

"Police have said there were "some fatalities" after a car ploughed into a parade in Wisconsin.

Footage posted online shows a red sports utility vehicle (SUV) driving through a Christmas parade in the city of Waukesha, west of Milwaukee, at around 16:40 local time (22:40 GMT).

Police chief Dan Thompson said it hit more than 20 people including children."

I assume the theprestige will now walk back their fake news claim, and perhaps explain what caused it?
GraculusTheGreenBird is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2021, 08:50 PM   #11
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Assume away, assume away....hey, that has a pretty nice rhythm, doesn't it? In the forum, the mighty forum, the lion....

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2021, 08:52 PM   #12
Bogative
Master Poster

Quote:
“(A relative) lives in Waukesha, a black guy with dreads knocked on her door shortly after the incident at the parade. She wouldn’t let him in and he proceeded to go across the street trying to break into a building. My daughter called 911 with a description and they said they think he was driving the SUV that drove into all the people.”

“My friend was approached by the people in the car. One was arrested, other two on the run. They asked to use his phone. 3 African Americans, early 20’s, dreadlocks.”

At 4:39 p.m., a police officer could be heard on the radio saying, “There’s a car going westbound approaching the parade course. A red Escape. Black male. I couldn’t stop him. He’s going westbound blowing his horn.”

These are not the Racially or Ethnically Motivated Domestic Violent Extremists Joe Biden, his DHS and his DOJ have been warning us about.

https://heavy.com/news/waukesha-parade-shooting-car/
Old 21st November 2021, 08:55 PM   #13
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by GraculusTheGreenBird View Post
I assume the theprestige will now walk back their fake news claim, and perhaps explain what caused it?
theprestige was saying that the headline labelling this as a terror attack was the fake news, not the actual incident itself, since this is not a claim made in the reporting. However these are from links already provided:

The Guardian:
Quote:
The investigation was still “very fluid”, he added, and did not know if the incident was terror-related. However, one person of interest was in custody and the vehicle involved had been recovered.
New York Post:
Quote:
A person of interest was in custody and police have not ruled out terrorism as a motive, according to Police Chief Daniel Thompson.
Independent:
Quote:
Police chief Dan Thompson said his department had taken one person of interest into custody and seized the vehicle. He said he didn’t yet know if there is any connection to terrorism.
So Matthew Best was not the first person to use that word.
Old 21st November 2021, 09:14 PM   #14
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I realize that modern technology has made people addicted to rapid news, but maybe it's a better idea to just wait for more information before reacting to things? More will be known tomorrow, and a subset of that will be published. If you can manage to cultivate a little patience you can avoid wasting your own time and possibly looking like an idiot.
Old 21st November 2021, 09:27 PM   #15
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Isn't there a fallacy that says where 50% of all initial reporting of quickly-developing stories is completely wrong?
Old 21st November 2021, 11:25 PM   #16
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
You have that backwards. Matthew went with an “answers now!!!!!!!” headline that he couldn’t back up, and theprestige called him on it.
Yeah, no. That is not how I see it at all. You are quite simply, wrong!

"Police are responding to a mass casualty incident in Waukesha, Wisconsin after a car plowed into a crowd of people during a holiday parade. "

That was the news theprestige called "Fake News" but it is in fact what happened. If he thought the headline was wrong. he should have said "Fake Headline"

"Fake News" is a Trumpism... its no surprise to see theprestige using it, and therefore no surprise to see you covering for him...
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2021, 11:37 PM   #17
dann
Penultimate Amazing

War on Xmas?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2021, 11:44 PM   #18
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
That's still not what fake news is. The event did happen, and it was called a terror attack.
The excerpts I posted make it clear that it is unknown at this time whether it was a terror attack or not. It might be, it might not. We'll have to wait and see whether the "person of interest" is charged with terrorist activity.
Old 21st November 2021, 11:44 PM   #19
Sherkeu
Master Poster

As bad as the initial reports seemed...it is worse. 5 dead, 40 injured.
Likely more so by tomorrow...

@cityofwaukesha
"At this time, we can confirm that 5 people are deceased and over 40 are injured. However, these numbers may change as we collect additional information. Many people have self-transported to area hospitals. The Police Department has the person of interest in custody."

https://twitter.com/CityofWaukesha/s...59959544594433

Even if reports he was fleeing another crime are true, why would anyone try to get away by choosing a main street that was barricaded and had crowds of people? Just so utterly senseless.

Last edited by Sherkeu; 22nd November 2021 at 12:05 AM. Reason: sp
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2021, 11:50 PM   #20
Bogative
Master Poster

Darrell Brooks Junior's ID was found in the red Ford Escape. It appears Mr. Brooks is an aspiring rapper who goes by the name "MathBoi Fly".

He has a rap video on YouTube where he can be seen standing in front of a red Ford Escape along with some dude pointing an Uzi at the camera.

NBC is reporting that he was fleeing the scene of a stabbing when he encountered the parade.
Quote:
“Several LE sources say preliminary: Wisconsin incident appears to be vehicle fleeing a separate crime scene (stabbing) when it plowed into parade. One person in custody. Investigation ongoing but so far no initial link to terror or the recent Rittenhouse verdict w/@tom_winter,” NBC reporter Jonathan Dienst wrote on Twitter.
https://heavy.com/news/waukesha-parade-shooting-car/
Old 22nd November 2021, 12:06 AM   #21
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
in the red Ford Escape.
Sometimes the simulation includes these little jokes.

Fleeing a pursuit and then finding yourself in the middle of a parade is the stuff of movies. Parade-goers are supposed to help the suspect get away.
Diablo: You're a lousy bigot. Apologise and withdraw that remark.
Cain: Nah.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 12:19 AM   #22
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Because at this point we don't know the driver or the motivation (ETA: Bogative supplied some information half an hour before I wrote this, but I had preloaded the window earlier and didn't see it) if this was a deliberate attack (as opposed to a very unfortunate and unusual mishap) I condemn it. I don't care if the driver:
  • is a hard right Trump-worshiping, Qanon believing whacko,
  • is a gun-toting, abortion banning climate-change denier,
  • is a soft conservative espousing smaller government and fiscal prudence,
  • is a soft liberal in favour of gun control, abortion rights who recycles aluminum,
  • is a "ban all guns and the government while we're at it" libertarian,
  • or is a far-left committed Marxist intent on bringing down the government through violence
To emphasize, if this is a deliberate attack, there is no excuse for it. I don't care if the person who did it shares all my beliefs (save for being willing to run a vehicle into a crowd of people) or is the polar opposite of me in every way. This sort of violence is reprehensible and has no place in a civilized society.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.

Last edited by Blue Mountain; 22nd November 2021 at 12:22 AM. Reason: ETA
Blue Mountain is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 12:21 AM   #23
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I think the reports of the person of interest shooting a gun from inside the car suggest pretty strongly that it was a deliberate attack.
Old 22nd November 2021, 12:24 AM   #24
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

https://heavy.com/wp-content/uploads...trip=all&w=780

lol what happened to "running over as many people as possible while shooting out the window"?

I have to admit, shooting through a rolled-up window and not leaving any bullet holes is a pretty neat magic trick.

Last edited by Darat; 22nd November 2021 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Hotlink changed to URL
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 12:46 AM   #25
Venom
Philosopher

What's a "terror attack".
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 12:52 AM   #26
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I think the reports of the person of interest shooting a gun from inside the car suggest pretty strongly that it was a deliberate attack.
Without doubt.

Almost certainly a terrorist attack if one accepts the standard definition of terrorism.

Theprestige’s reaction to an accurate report, trying, in my view, to minimise the attack, is disgusting. Breathtakingly so.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 01:22 AM   #27
Checkmite

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Those reports are evidently false. The available video evidence (so far) does not support gunshots being fired during the incident.

At a news conference, the police chief said that an officer had fired a shot at the vehicle at one point while trying to stop it, but that there was no evidence that the person driving the vehicle had fired a gun at any point.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 01:26 AM   #28
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Those reports are evidently false. The available video evidence (so far) does not support gunshots being fired during the incident.

At a news conference, the police chief said that an officer had fired a shot at the vehicle at one point while trying to stop it, but that there was no evidence that the person driving the vehicle had fired a gun at any point.
Who gives a ****. Do you not accept that the driver deliberately drove into people? The gunshot allegation means nothing in this undeniable reality.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 01:29 AM   #29
Checkmite

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Who gives a ****. Do you not accept that the driver deliberately drove into people? The gunshot allegation means nothing in this undeniable reality.
Did you read the post I was replying to?
Old 22nd November 2021, 01:35 AM   #30
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I did. I thought you were implying that because no shots were fired, it was not a terrorist attack.

I see now that was not your intent. Apologies.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 22nd November 2021, 04:16 AM   #31
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Never!
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 04:47 AM   #32
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Deliberately as in this was a planned attack? No.

IMO, there's 3 possible situations.

1. Planned attack. I'm not convinced of that yet, but it's possible.
2. Really drunk, unable to comprehend what was going on, and just drove into people when he couldn't avoid them anymore. Similar to a drunk person driving the wrong way on a highway.
3. Fleeing from something else, got stuck at the parade and took the risk of trying to drive through it and avoided people as best he could (or just didnt care) until he couldn't anymore.

Last edited by bonzombiekitty; 22nd November 2021 at 04:54 AM.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 06:15 AM   #33
whoanellie
Muse

Without doubt.

Almost certainly a terrorist attack if one accepts the standard definition of terrorism.

Theprestige’s reaction to an accurate report, trying, in my view, to minimise the attack, is disgusting. Breathtakingly so.
What standard definition are you referring to?
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 06:28 AM   #34
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Reports now say police believe the person was fleeing from another incident.

So getaway gone really, really, like couldn't have gone worse, wrong.

Quote:
The indications are the Waukesha suspect was fleeing another incident when he drove into the parade route, according to multiple law enforcement sources familiar with the preliminary investigation findings.
CNN: (Stupid "updating news" page so I can't link directly to it)

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 22nd November 2021 at 06:30 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 06:37 AM   #35
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Without doubt.

Isn't a terror attack normally defined as having a political or social goal? This one seems like one random sicko.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 06:43 AM   #36
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
This one seems like one random sicko.
I'm not sure if you could even call it that. Random sicko, to me, would be him intentionally targeting the people without any real political or social goals. Thus far, we haven't seen much that shows this to be a targeted attack and rumors have been indicating he was trying to flee a different crime.

If that is indeed the case, rather than "random sicko" I'd call it "stupid, selfish bastard".
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 06:50 AM   #37
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

I suspect that whatever situation brought him there / caused him to be fleeing, it was his hatred of white people that played at least a significant role in his final decision to plow into them.
"Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate than that these people are to be free. Nor is it less certain that the two races, equally free, cannot live in the same government. Nature, habit, opinion has drawn indelible lines of distinction between them." - Thomas Jefferson
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 06:52 AM   #38
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So all you wonderful people who are more concerned that the horrible act is properly categorized... why are you like that?

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 06:58 AM   #39
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
So all you wonderful people who are more concerned that the horrible act is properly categorized... why are you like that?
For the same reason we would question why you call a car a motorcycle.

Words have meanings. Why choose semi-random ones to express a thought?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 07:01 AM   #40
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

Maybe because that is at the very core of trying to understand what happened and why it happened?

Just a guess on my part there, though.....
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events