IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags assault incidents , protest incidents , Wisconsin incidents

Old 22nd November 2021, 07:24 AM   #41
Bogative
Master Poster

MathBoi Fly has an extensive criminal history and a history of posting antiwhite bigotry on his social media.

Along with his run-of-the-mill domestic violence, resisting, drugs, etc. he is also a registered sex offender and admits to impregnating a 16-year-old girl when he was in his mid 20s.

From his twitter account:
Quote:
we start bakk knokkin white ppl TF out ion wanna hear it.. the old white ppl 2, KNOKK DEM TF OUT!! PERIOD..
He also posted an image of three white men being whipped by a black man while picking cotton with Martin Luther King Jr. smiling in the background.

There's plenty more in the link.
Old 22nd November 2021, 07:30 AM   #42
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
MathBoi Fly has an extensive criminal history and a history of posting antiwhite bigotry on his social media.

Along with his run-of-the-mill domestic violence, resisting, drugs, etc. he is also a registered sex offender and admits to impregnating a 16-year-old girl when he was in his mid 20s.

From his twitter account:

Quote:
we start bakk knokkin white ppl TF out ion wanna hear it.. the old white ppl 2, KNOKK DEM TF OUT!! PERIOD..
He also posted an image of three white men being whipped by a black man while picking cotton with Martin Luther King Jr. smiling in the background.

There's plenty more in the link.
We can probably rule out any affiliation with right-wing extremist groups.

Last edited by Warp12; 22nd November 2021 at 07:32 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 07:47 AM   #43
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh so random violence is bad again because white people are the victims.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 08:04 AM   #44
Bogative
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The mind reading abilities on this "skeptics" forum is complete ****.
Old 22nd November 2021, 08:23 AM   #45
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
The mind reading abilities on this "skeptics" forum is complete ****.
Blatant racism on a skeptics forum is complete **** too.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 09:02 AM   #46
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
The only racism I see in this thread is in the tweets of "MathBoi Fly".
Old 22nd November 2021, 09:02 AM   #47
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Well it's certainly worse due to that. However, even I have never and would never endorse "random violence" against anyone. What are you even referring to? Rittenhouse? If so, that's ... an interesting framing.

The idea that different subgroups of our species spent tens or hundreds of thousands of years enduring very different evolutionary pressures, resulting in profound differences in appearance, average height, fat distribution, skeletal differences, etc. --- and yet somehow ended up being identical in terms of intelligence, temperament, etc. - is absolutely something a skeptic would be skeptical of.
"Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate than that these people are to be free. Nor is it less certain that the two races, equally free, cannot live in the same government. Nature, habit, opinion has drawn indelible lines of distinction between them." - Thomas Jefferson
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 09:41 AM   #48
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Saw a video where it looks as if he trying to swerve around marchers. Kind of goes along with the avoiding pursuit theory. Still murder but probably didn’t plan on killing at the parade.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 10:04 AM   #49
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
The only racism I see in this thread is in the tweets of "MathBoi Fly".
I believe you. I absolutely believe this quote.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 10:07 AM   #50
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
Saw a video where it looks as if he trying to swerve around marchers. Kind of goes along with the avoiding pursuit theory. Still murder but probably didn’t plan on killing at the parade.
My guess is that he did that for one of these two reasons:

1.) Wanted to get in deeper to a higher concentration of people so he could hit more at once.

2.) Was still thinking (using that term loosely) that he might evade police by going this way, and had not yet made the decision to plow into parade participants, but once he found himself without a clear way forward, he decided to go ahead and do it, and his hatred of white people contributed to this decision.

Kind of an "F it, if I'm going back to jail, I'm taking out some crackers first" type of mindset.

Maybe as he lived his incredibly dysfunctional, violent, criminalistic life it triggered him to see functional, good hearted people with their whole lives ahead of them doing something pro-social, fun, holiday-spirited, and community oriented. Maybe as he realized he was probably going back to jail yet again, he wanted to lash out at people who were so much superior to him, and had made such better life choices.
"Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate than that these people are to be free. Nor is it less certain that the two races, equally free, cannot live in the same government. Nature, habit, opinion has drawn indelible lines of distinction between them." - Thomas Jefferson
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 10:12 AM   #51
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
My guess is that he did that for one of these two reasons:

1.) Wanted to get in deeper to a higher concentration of people so he could hit more at once.

2.) Was still thinking (using that term loosely) that he might evade police by going this way, and had not yet made the decision to plow into parade participants, but once he found himself without a clear way forward, he decided to go ahead and do it, and his hatred of white people contributed to this decision.

Kind of an "F it, if I'm going back to jail, I'm taking out some crackers first" type of mindset.

Maybe as he lived his incredibly dysfunctional, violent, criminalistic life it triggered him to see functional, good hearted people with their whole lives ahead of them doing something pro-social, fun, holiday-spirited, and community oriented. Maybe as he realized he was probably going back to jail yet again, he wanted to lash out at people who were so much superior to him, and had made such better life choices.
LoL

Old 22nd November 2021, 10:14 AM   #52
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh goodie the racists have a statistically meaningless example to harp on from now until the walls falls that prove racism is a librul myth and white people are the real victims.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 10:58 AM   #53
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Oh goodie the racists have a statistically meaningless example to harp on from now until the walls falls that prove racism is a librul myth and white people are the real victims.
If you’re talking about black people acting violently towards white people, the examples are hardly statistically meaningless, and it’s not racist to realize that.
Old 22nd November 2021, 11:07 AM   #54
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
If you’re talking about black people acting violently towards white people, the examples are hardly statistically meaningless, and it’s not racist to realize that.

Old 22nd November 2021, 11:58 AM   #55
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Not that you had much choice. The stats are publicly available.
Old 22nd November 2021, 12:08 PM   #56
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Not that you had much choice. The stats are publicly available.
I'm sure you have the "X% of the population but commit Y% of the violent crime" stat memorized.

Old 22nd November 2021, 12:12 PM   #57
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
I have heard several reports that the perpetrator was fleeing from a knife fight, or something like that. Does that make any sense at all? No, it doesn't. I don't believe the reports. Fake news.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 12:13 PM   #58
plague311
Great minds think...

I'm sure you have the "X% of the population but commit Y% of the violent crime" stat memorized.
It's my tramp stamp. That way I never forget how terrible "they" are...

Old 22nd November 2021, 12:19 PM   #59
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Huh. Well that's funny. The black guy has been... charged.

Not weeks later. Not after convening a grand jury. Not after national protests. Not after having to fire a DA who first wanted to bury it. He was just arrested. Just like that. No hand wringing, no drawing of lines, no arguing about definitions. As if charging people with crimes they commit is easy or something crazy like that.

Old 22nd November 2021, 12:29 PM   #60
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Not weeks later. Not after convening a grand jury. Not after national protests. Not after having to fire a DA who first wanted to bury it. He was just arrested. Just like that. No hand wringing, no drawing of lines, no arguing about definitions. As if charging people with crimes they commit is easy or something crazy like that.
The reason you're confused about other cases where people weren't charged right away is because in all of those cases, no actual crime had taken place and mob pressure / cowardice were the reasons for the charges eventually being brought.

Police / DA make a determination about whether to charge a crime or not based on the facts of what actually took place and holding that up against the laws on the books.

In the George Zimmerman situation, the Derek Chauvin situation, the McMichaels, etc. - the authorities could tell right away that these people had done nothing wrong, but caved to pressure.

There isn't any room for interpretation in this case. The guy is a piece of criminal filth who ran over a bunch of people. It was either a deliberate act of horrendous murder for its own sake, or it was to some degree integrated into a stupid attempt to flee an earlier crime.

This is not some 95 year old man who probably should've had his driver's license revoked, or someone who fell asleep at the wheel.

This is not some upstanding citizen who was surrounded by violent rioting mobs and had to hit the gas to escape being swarmed and beat down like Reginald Denny.
Old 22nd November 2021, 12:32 PM   #61
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Nope. But I could look it up. So could you. Or you can continue to pretend it says something other than you know it does.
Old 22nd November 2021, 12:34 PM   #62
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dumb All Over View Post
I have heard several reports that the perpetrator was fleeing from a knife fight, or something like that. Does that make any sense at all? No, it doesn't. I don't believe the reports. Fake news.
Sure, it makes sense.

Not sure whether or not the reports are true, but there’s nothing nonsensical about it.
Old 22nd November 2021, 12:38 PM   #63
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Totally mind boggling to you, I suppose.
Old 22nd November 2021, 12:45 PM   #64
plague311
Great minds think...

Darrell Brooks Jr. is the name of the suspect, it would appear.

ETA: I was confirming what Bogative said, in my head there was an emphasis on the "is", just fyi.

Last edited by plague311; 22nd November 2021 at 12:47 PM.
Old 22nd November 2021, 12:56 PM   #65
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Seeing reports now that there was no police chase leading to this after all.
Old 22nd November 2021, 12:57 PM   #66
plague311
Great minds think...

Apparently Brooks was out on bond:

Quote:
According to court records, Brooks was released from jail earlier this month on $1,000 bail after being charged with several counts including recklessly endangering safety and battery.
Wisconsin really needs to get its **** together. $1k for several counts? You can't even get out on bail for a DUI in NoDak (no matter what color) for $1,000 I don't think.

The link has some breakdowns of 2 previous arrests from July '20 and Nov '21.

If there's one thing that can be said, he's certainly violent.

Old 22nd November 2021, 01:24 PM   #67
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

In the George Zimmerman situation, the Derek Chauvin situation, the McMichaels, etc. - the authorities could tell right away that these people had done nothing wrong, but caved to pressure.
You're on pretty shaky ground with this claim. Derek Chauvin was convicted in a jury trial. The McMichaels most likely will be convicted.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 01:33 PM   #68
Sherkeu
Master Poster

Apparently Brooks was out on bond:

Wisconsin really needs to get its **** together. $1k for several counts? You can't even get out on bail for a DUI in NoDak (no matter what color) for $1,000 I don't think.

The link has some breakdowns of 2 previous arrests from July '20 and Nov '21.

If there's one thing that can be said, he's certainly violent.
On Nov 2 when he had contact with all the people he had court orders not to (as a condition of his 2020 bail), punched his ex in the face, then ran over her leg (with the same Ford Escape), then ignored police, locked himself in a house and resisted arrest, already had an open charge of 'bail jumping', and TWO open cases involving multiple felonies involving violence and guns....

They gave him bail of $1000?

The DA's office there now says this was an inappropriate setting of bail and they are doing an internal review.

(The ADA in these cases seems to be Michelle Grasso. No news items on her but it would seem she is already halfway under the bus with the DA's letter today)
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 01:38 PM   #69
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
You're on pretty shaky ground with this claim. Derek Chauvin was convicted in a jury trial. The McMichaels most likely will be convicted.
Due to emotion, fear, cowardice - not the reality of the two situations or the law.
Old 22nd November 2021, 01:39 PM   #70
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
On Nov 2 when he had contact with all the people he had court orders not to (as a condition of his 2020 bail), punched his ex in the face, then ran over her leg (with the same Ford Escape), then ignored police, locked himself in a house and resisted arrest, already had an open charge of 'bail jumping', and TWO open cases involving multiple felonies involving violence and guns....

The DA's office there now says this was an inappropriate setting of bail and they are doing an internal review.

(The ADA in these cases seems to be Michelle Grasso. No news items on her but it would seem she is already halfway under the bus with the DA's letter today)
There are a lot of people in the country now who flex about "bail reform" and think this makes them a good person.

I wouldn't be opposed to this Grasso person, if it was really her call / fault, being up on murder charges right along with Brooks.
Old 22nd November 2021, 01:41 PM   #71
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

The DA's office there now says this was an inappropriate setting of bail and they are doing an internal
Meh, cash bail shouldn't exist. You are either a flight risk/safety risk, or you are not. If you are, you should be remanded until you can resolve the safety/flight risk issue.

If you aren't, then no cash bail. You are free until your trial.

This guy should have been remanded.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 01:47 PM   #72
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

I suppose it's worth bearing in mind that as horrible as those violations and alleged crimes are, they're depressingly commonplace in most urbanised areas of the US.

And as such, and since many/most of the violators and alleged perpetrators are poor, and since there's only so much non-prison incarceration space ever available, tough (and sub-optimal) decisions on bail often have to be reached. Those decisions are often (usually, even) made pretty hurriedly (otherwise they'd probably clog up the criminal justice system in and of themselves), and by people who often don't have access to the amount of information they'd perhaps wish they had.

When you graft onto that the capacity for individual/collective/systemic incompetence, I'd say it's grimly inevitable that every now and then an outrage such as this is going to occur. But is there a one-shot panacea? I really don't think there is.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 01:53 PM   #73
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

I know a good way to avoid clogging up the prison system, etc.

How about if you are someone who commits violent offenses against other members of society, in the form of provable physical domestic abuse, unprovoked assaults on other people, rape, knife crime and gun crime of any kind - we just straight up execute you?

How about we do it fast? How about we do it after 3 strikes of these types of crime, or better yet 2 strikes (and depending on the severity / nature of the crime, 1 strike)?

EDIT: Obviously, the offense(s) would need to be well confirmed, but we benefit from being in an age now with a heck of a lot of forensic science and cameras everywhere, so a large number of these crimes could probably be proven quite conclusively and quickly.

Last edited by Skeptic Tank; 22nd November 2021 at 01:57 PM.
Old 22nd November 2021, 01:55 PM   #74
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
Meh, cash bail shouldn't exist. You are either a flight risk/safety risk, or you are not. If you are, you should be remanded until you can resolve the safety/flight risk issue.

If you aren't, then no cash bail. You are free until your trial.

This guy should have been remanded.

You can't see how the setting of cash bail - with its twin facets of a) the prospect of incurring a harmful financial penalty and/or b) the assistance offered by bail bond enforcers in assisting LE in tracking down bail-absconders - offers at least something in-between the all-or-nothing of remand or unconditional bail?

If the system were to be restricted in the way you suggest - in the US at least - then I'd suggest the system would very, very soon fall over. Because there would be barely any more capacity for remanding without bail in any event, plus there'd (almost by definition) be a heck of a lot more absconding by those granted unconditional bail instead of cash bail.

It's tempting to think there are near-bottomless resources (cash-wise, facility-wise and labour-wise) in something like the US criminal justice system, but unfortunately that's just not the case. Nowhere near, in fact.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 02:03 PM   #75
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

EDIT: Obviously, the offense(s) would need to be well confirmed, but we benefit from being in an age now with a heck of a lot of forensic science and cameras everywhere, so a large number of these crimes could probably be proven quite conclusively and quickly.

Better still: I bet the CIA or NSA have by now developed a "Minority Event"-style technology for reading would-be criminals' minds and apprehending them in advance.

So hey - Gold Standard: the US could be getting rid of these people by rounding them up and executing them (probably humanely, I guess) before any crime was even committed!

Old 22nd November 2021, 02:05 PM   #76
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Because at this point we don't know the driver or the motivation (ETA: Bogative supplied some information half an hour before I wrote this, but I had preloaded the window earlier and didn't see it) if this was a deliberate attack (as opposed to a very unfortunate and unusual mishap) I condemn it. I don't care if the driver:
  • is a hard right Trump-worshiping, Qanon believing whacko,
  • is a gun-toting, abortion banning climate-change denier,
  • is a soft conservative espousing smaller government and fiscal prudence,
  • is a soft liberal in favour of gun control, abortion rights who recycles aluminum,
  • is a "ban all guns and the government while we're at it" libertarian,
  • or is a far-left committed Marxist intent on bringing down the government through violence
To emphasize, if this is a deliberate attack, there is no excuse for it. I don't care if the person who did it shares all my beliefs (save for being willing to run a vehicle into a crowd of people) or is the polar opposite of me in every way. This sort of violence is reprehensible and has no place in a civilized society.
An atheist zealot telling the world what he thinks of Xmas.
Old 22nd November 2021, 02:08 PM   #77
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
Deliberately as in this was a planned attack? No.

IMO, there's 3 possible situations.

1. Planned attack. I'm not convinced of that yet, but it's possible.
2. Really drunk, unable to comprehend what was going on, and just drove into people when he couldn't avoid them anymore. Similar to a drunk person driving the wrong way on a highway.
3. Fleeing from something else, got stuck at the parade and took the risk of trying to drive through it and avoided people as best he could (or just didnt care) until he couldn't anymore.
Or somebody who really hated having his road blocked for a stupid parade. He went around the marchers, until he couldnt.
Old 22nd November 2021, 02:12 PM   #78
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
You can't see how the setting of cash bail - with its twin facets of a) the prospect of incurring a harmful financial penalty and/or b) the assistance offered by bail bond enforcers in assisting LE in tracking down bail-absconders - offers at least something in-between the all-or-nothing of remand or unconditional bail?
The obvious middle-ground is ankle-tracking (or getting the vaccine).
Diablo: You're a lousy bigot. Apologise and withdraw that remark.
Cain: Nah.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2021, 02:14 PM   #79
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
and Rittenhouse?
Old 22nd November 2021, 02:14 PM   #80
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Better still: I bet the CIA or NSA have by now developed a "Minority Event"-style technology for reading would-be criminals' minds and apprehending them in advance.

So hey - Gold Standard: the US could be getting rid of these people by rounding them up and executing them (probably humanely, I guess) before any crime was even committed!

Quote:
"Abstract: Through its monopoly on violence, the State tends to pacify social relations. Such pacification proceeded slowly in Western Europe between the 5th and 11th centuries, being hindered by the rudimentary nature of law enforcement, the belief in a man’s right to settle personal disputes as he saw fit, and the Church’s opposition to the death penalty. These hindrances began to dissolve in the 11th century with a consensus by Church and State that the wicked should be punished so that the good may live in peace. Courts imposed the death penalty more and more often and, by the late Middle Ages, were condemning to death between 0.5 and 1.0% of all men of each generation, with perhaps just as many offenders dying at the scene of the crime or in prison while awaiting trial. Meanwhile, the homicide rate plummeted from the 14th century to the 20th. The pool of violent men dried up until most murders occurred under conditions of jealousy, intoxication, or extreme stress. The decline in personal violence is usually attributed to harsher punishment and the longer-term effects of cultural conditioning. It may also be, however, that this new cultural environment selected against propensities for violence. "
Source

Quote:
"Frost and Harpending, Evolutionary Psychology, 13 (2015), have argued that the increasing use of capital punishment across the Middle Ages in Europe altered the genotype, helping to create a less violent and generally more law-abiding population.
Source

The entire basis of us being a species that can even (kind of) do civilization is due to important evolutionary events throughout our species' history where certain types of individuals became more or less common.

If you want to continue to be a species that can "do civilization" it is necessary to prune undesirable genetic traits like propensity for violence, low impulse control, etc.

A huge culling of anyone with criminal / violent tendencies is exactly what must occur.

You can either hope that we somehow manage to pull this off with gene editing, or you can sign on to what I'm talking about. Spoiler alert: gene editing will come too slowly and face too much opposition.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events