IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:02 AM   #1
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Dollar Twenty Five Tree

Dollar Tree hikes prices 25%. Most items will cost $1.25

Quote:
Dollar Tree will soon be $1.25 tree.

The company — one of America's last remaining true dollar stores — said Tuesday it will raise prices from $1 to $1.25 on the majority of its products by the first quarter of 2022. The change is a sign of the pressures low-cost retailers face holding down prices during a period of rising inflation.

Dollar Tree (DLTR) said in a quarterly earnings release Tuesday that its decision to raise prices to $1.25 permanently, however, was "not a reaction to short-term or transitory market conditions."

Selling stuff strictly for $1 hampered Dollar Tree, the company said, and forced it stop selling some "customer favorites." Raising prices will give Dollar Tree more flexibility to reintroduce those items, expand its selection and bring new products and sizes to its stores.
First they came for Two Buck Chuck, then they came for Dollar Tree.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:08 AM   #2
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Five Below is still going fine.

This was inevitable.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:12 AM   #3
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I'm old enough to remember the forerunners of the Dollar Stores. They were called Five and Dimes (or Five and Ten-Cent Stores), although in fairness they had plenty of items that cost more than that.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:13 AM   #4
shemp

There used to be a restaurant around here that made a big deal about nothing on the menu over $5. Except the drinks from the bar of course. That place was always packed. But of course the servings got smaller and the drink prices got higher. Eventually they had to give in, and business went downhill.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:14 AM   #5
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Dang, now where I am supposed to buy people wedding presents?
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:16 AM   #6
shemp

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I'm old enough to remember the forerunners of the Dollar Stores. They were called Five and Dimes (or Five and Ten-Cent Stores), although in fairness they had plenty of items that cost more than that.
My parents always called Woolworth's the "Five and Dime." My father was always going there to get away from my mother and us kids. "I'm goin' down to the Five and Dime to get some socks." He'd be gone 2-3 hours. They were on Main Street, and when the first mall came to the city (1969) business plummeted, but they hung on another 20 years on Main Street.

Old 23rd November 2021, 11:17 AM   #7
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post

This was inevitable.
Five Below has been selling select items for well more than $5 for over a couple of years now.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:17 AM   #8
shemp

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Dang, now where I am supposed to buy people wedding presents?
Goodwill.

Old 23rd November 2021, 11:21 AM   #9
shemp

I'm not as old as some here, but I can remember when you could still get a plain hamburger for 15 cents. And a Coke for a dime. That was better than the school lunch. I puked school lunch more than once. I remember in elementary school seeing crates of meat sitting in the sun on the loading dock behind the cafeteria.

And get off my lawn you goddamn kids!

Old 23rd November 2021, 11:23 AM   #10
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
My parents always called Woolworth's the "Five and Dime." My father was always going there to get away from my mother and us kids. "I'm goin' down to the Five and Dime to get some socks." He'd be gone 2-3 hours. They were on Main Street, and when the first mall came to the city (1969) business plummeted, but they hung on another 20 years on Main Street.
Around here it was, "Ben Franklin 5 & 10". Said so right on the sign.
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:28 AM   #11
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post

There was a Five and Dime a couple of blocks down from my grandmother's house in Philadelphia. A couple of block the other way now is that Four Seasons Landscaping place. Dollar Store prices go up as the world seems to get smaller.

I guess now I'll have to pay $1.25 for my Suave shampoo and conditioner (least ways while I still got hair).
Old 23rd November 2021, 11:45 AM   #12
shemp

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Oh, we had one of those too, forgot about that. Apparently, they still have some stores.

Old 23rd November 2021, 11:55 AM   #13
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

My mom is dreadfully old, and seems even older because of that quirk some Southerners have of using the vocabulary of their own parents' or grandparents' generation. She says "five and dime" sometimes, and has slipped up and called the refrigerator an "icebox". She's not even 80 but sometimes talks like a 120 year old.

Her own father was even worse, he was born in 1915 and talked like the earliest editions of the Hardy Boys books. He's the only person I ever met who said "jalopy". And he called dragonflies "mosquito hawks".
Old 23rd November 2021, 12:09 PM   #14
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Canada has Dollar Tree stores too...

They had universal prices of $1.25 for a long time (probably due to the differences in the value of the Canadian vs. U.S. dollar), but in the past year or so has started to increase prices on some items to $1.50.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2021, 12:29 PM   #15
Ron Obvious
Muse

Sounds like false advertising. Clearly what's needed is yet smaller quantities of candy, detergent and shampoo etc, that they can still sell for $1.00 and retain their integrity.
Old 23rd November 2021, 12:37 PM   #16
deadrose
Illuminator

Since they opened here, I've been shopping at Daiso rather than dollar stores. Their base price is $1.50 to account for the currency difference (they're 100¥ in Japan). Since their quality is hugely superior to dollar store stuff, I have no problems paying the extra.

I remember the 5 & 10¢ stores from my childhood, and there's still a Ben Franklin a couple suburbs up 405 from here.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2021, 12:41 PM   #17
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

First they came for Two Buck Chuck, then they came for Dollar Tree.
Curiously, this was also the colloquial name for our really cheap, really awful boxed wine. To "chuck" in Oz can mean to spew up.

Carry on!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2021, 01:02 PM   #18
LongFuzzy
Critical Thinker

I remember when Motel 6 had rooms for $6 a night. There are still called Motel 6, but the rooms are way more than $6.
LongFuzzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2021, 01:09 PM   #19
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I haven't heard it suggested yet that they call it the Dollar Quarter Store. They would even save on the signage.

Maybe Dollar Two Bits would be even better.
Old 23rd November 2021, 01:13 PM   #20
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Last I heard of them, Ben Franklin had become a hobby store. Don't know if they're still around. Wait, why not Google....
....Yup, still around.
Old 23rd November 2021, 01:15 PM   #21
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I haven't heard it suggested yet that they call it the Dollar Quarter Store. They would even save on the signage.

Maybe Dollar Two Bits would be even better.
"Dollar Two Bits" can't be used, it's just screaming for spoonerism into "Dollar Boo Tits". Which would be an interesting store in itself, but not quite the same thing as this.

If I were they (and I am not they) I'd change the name to "Dollar Plus": they could then claim to be accurately announcing the increased pricing and also suggesting the store is somehow enhanced in quality.
Old 23rd November 2021, 04:27 PM   #22
Carlotta
Muse

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Last I heard of them, Ben Franklin had become a hobby store. Don't know if they're still around. Wait, why not Google....
....Yup, still around.
Around here, those hobby stores became A C Moore then closed. My neighborhood Dollar Tree already has 1.25 for most things. I hope some of the discontinued things really do come back.
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2021, 10:33 PM   #23
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post

This was inevitable.
Until I actually went into one, I thought "Five Below" sold cold-weather sporting goods.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2021, 10:34 PM   #24
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
If I were they (and I am not they) I'd change the name to "Dollar Plus": they could then claim to be accurately announcing the increased pricing and also suggesting the store is somehow enhanced in quality.
That would be smarter. Now they have to change the name every couple years.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2021, 07:50 AM   #25
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I like how everyone is just excusing the fact that Dollar Tree doesn’t even sell trees.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2021, 07:52 AM   #26
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Curiously, this was also the colloquial name for our really cheap, really awful boxed wine. To "chuck" in Oz can mean to spew up.

Carry on!
The great thing about Two Buck Chuck was that it was served everywhere. My first taste was at a private event at a coastal estate.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2021, 08:01 AM   #27
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I like how everyone is just excusing the fact that Dollar Tree doesn’t even sell trees.
True, but Dollar China Made ******** just doesn't roll off the tongue as well.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2021, 08:12 AM   #28
Donal
Illuminator

Welp, there goes my Christmas shopping
Old 24th November 2021, 12:36 PM   #29
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting thread but in New York we called them "five-and-ten-cent-stores." In my neighborhood we had three: Woolworth's, Kresge's and Lamston's. In Googling info about them I found some local blogs -- from the New York Metropolitan Area -- stating that Kresge's and Lamston's were preferred to Woolworth's. That rings true with me. I remember the local Woolworth's as still having wood floors (in the 1960s) and seeming cluttered. My grandmother liked it, she used to take me there. When I was on my own I preferred Kresge's and then Lamston's.

I guess I presumed both chains -- Kresge's and Lamston's -- were gone along with Woolworth's but I learned, while Lamston's apparently disappeared in 1977, that same year Kresge's began to transition to Kmart. Which worked out for a while.
Quote:
Kmart is shuttering its last-remaining store in Michigan, the state where the once-proud retail chain launched in 1899. It's one of series of store closings that will leave the company with only six locations in the continental United States still in business by year's end. CNN Business
Woolworth's became Footlocker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kresge Lamston.jpg (56.8 KB, 7 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2021, 07:10 PM   #30
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LongFuzzy View Post
I remember when Motel 6 had rooms for $6 a night. There are still called Motel 6, but the rooms are way more than $6.
Was going to mention them, knew I'd be ninja'd.
Family stated in many of them back when.

And don't get me started on those greedy bastards over at Motel 8.

Eta... I thought of it because there's a 6 about a quarter mile away even here in sleepy Oregon, I pass it all the time.
Rooms start at $56... greedy bastards.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 24th November 2021 at 07:16 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2021, 07:18 PM   #31
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Big Clive is always finding some bit of LED faff to disassemble at his local Poundland... usually cost 2 or 3 pounds.

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2021, 07:21 PM   #32
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Until I actually went into one, I thought "Five Below" sold cold-weather sporting goods.
I was guessing one of those Vodka Ice Bars.

(I did once try one in Vegas, don't recall the name)

Old 28th November 2021, 08:11 AM   #33
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Ummmm,

Green Table-Top Artificial Christmas Trees, 18 in.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events