ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 11th March 2018, 02:08 PM   #1361
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 22,463
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
FTFY
He has the new young star magically slipping into the system's center, nudging the old star/new planet out to a stable orbit along with the rest of the old stars/planets of the system.
I believe capturing a rogue planet into the plane of a system may be possible. Very improbable, though.
That is more insane than random capture of planets.
Start with a single actual star. Another actual star comes along and is captured - an improbable event. So we get a system of 2 stars orbiting each other. Another actual star joins the system from a random angle - an improbable event. This star replaces the central star and pushes it outward - an impossible event !
But let us say this happens - we now have a star with another star orbiting it and a star orbiting that star -not the central star !
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 02:13 PM   #1362
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 22,463
Thumbs down A new PDF that lies about planets and stars

Originally Posted by jeffreyw View Post
Here is a new paper ...
12 March 2018: A new PDF that lies about planets and stars.
Planets are not defined as stars that wander (the ancient Greek description where the word planet comes from).

A planet is a body with specific properties
Quote:
A planet is an astronomical body orbiting a star or stellar remnant that
  • is massive enough to be rounded by its own gravity,
  • is not massive enough to cause thermonuclear fusion, and
  • has cleared its neighbouring region of planetesimals.[a][1][2]
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 02:27 PM   #1363
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 22,463
Thumbs down A "1 out of 200,000,000,000" and exoplanets lie

Originally Posted by jeffreyw View Post
What people forget is that statistically 1 out of 200,000,000,000+ is not anywhere near a sample size. ...
12 March 2018: A "1 out of 200,000,000,000" and exoplanets lie.
Before the detection of exoplanets we had a sample of 1 out of 1 for the simple reason that other planetary systems had not been detected!

Now we have a sample of 1000's where most of the other planetary systems we find have planets in the same plane in the same way that our planets do.
Exoplanetology
Quote:
The Kepler spacecraft has found a few hundred multi-planet systems and in most of these systems the planets all orbit in nearly the same plane, much like the Solar System.[40] However, a combination of astrometric and radial-velocity measurements has shown that some planetary systems contain planets whose orbital planes are significantly tilted relative to each other.[52] More than half of hot Jupiters have orbital planes substantially misaligned with their parent star's rotation.
There is also the insanity that we have to look at every planetary system in the Milky Way (or the universe?) to have evidence for an already working planetary system model.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 05:21 PM   #1364
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 22,463
Sorry, Super-Earth Fans, There Are Only Three Classes Of Planet
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 12:33 PM   #1365
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 22,463
Hubble Sees a Huge Dust Cloud Around a Newly Forming Star
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 08:27 AM   #1366
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 18,086
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
12 March 2018: A new PDF that lies about planets and stars.
Planets are not defined as stars that wander (the ancient Greek description where the word planet comes from).

A planet is a body with specific properties
Well that's all those folks had. Most stars to them were fixed in their courses. Planets (and they had only five) were apparent stars that disobeyed that rule. It makes absolute sense that they might call them "stars which wander". jeffreyw calaiming that as some kind of evidence of something makes absolutely no sense at all.

Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
12 March 2018: A "1 out of 200,000,000,000" and exoplanets lie.
Before the detection of exoplanets we had a sample of 1 out of 1 for the simple reason that other planetary systems had not been detected!

Now we have a sample of 1000's where most of the other planetary systems we find have planets in the same plane in the same way that our planets do.
Exoplanetology

There is also the insanity that we have to look at every planetary system in the Milky Way (or the universe?) to have evidence for an already working planetary system model.
Absolutely. Detecting the largest planets first is pretty much inevitable. Honking great gas giants would be expected to be the first detected because they are, well big. As methods of detection get refined, we would expect to find smaller and smaller planets. And that is exactly what has happened. As one would expect. jeffreyw seemingly cannot figure that out.

Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Meh. To me, there are simply planets of various sizes. Classification has it's uses but are subject to change as knowledge advances and that bothers me not a whit as actual knowledge progresses. It seems to me that jeffreyw is stuck in 18th century thinking on reclassification and two centuries of science and research have simply passed him by for some reason. What that reason might be? I have no idea, but there it is.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2018, 06:14 AM   #1367
jeffreyw
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Cocoa Beach, FL
Posts: 337
The Mass-Radius Relationship of Stars

New paper:

http://vixra.org/pdf/1804.0193v1.pdf

I am also excited that the TESS is going up today as well. It will give me even more data to crush the nonsense of establishment dogma.

It is clear. Stars cool, lose mass, shrink and differentiate their interiors, becoming what are called "planets". They are the same objects.
__________________
Planets are not formed from disks, that would be in violation of the conservation of angular momentum.

A "planet" is just an ancient star. They were never mutually exclusive.

http://vixra.org/pdf/1711.0206v3.pdf The new book.
jeffreyw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2018, 09:54 AM   #1368
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 18,086
Once again, not a paper.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2018, 01:01 PM   #1369
Wolrab
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,372
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Once again, not a paper.
Print it out on rice paper and you have a Big Bamboo rolling paper. Fill, roll, and smoke. Then make up your own insane theories. All it is is him stating stars turn to planets, a few meaningless graphs and absolutely no supporting evidence. Not exactly science of any stripe.
__________________
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2018, 02:58 PM   #1370
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 22,463
Originally Posted by jeffreyw View Post
New paper: ...
Yet another deluded PDF. The post has his usual insanity of "establishment dogma" and insanity of stars (massive, mostly H and He) becoming planets (light, mostly Fe, O, etc.).

17 April 2017: A lie that stars shrink as they get older (the Sun will become a red giant).
17 April 2017: Insanity of plotting mass versus radius when less mass = a smaller body for planets.
17 April 2018: Insanity of suggesting to discard the "big bang" in his deluded PDF about "stars".
17 April 2017: A lie of plotting star data when he plots planetary data (e.g. Earth + exoplanets).

jeffreyw: 337 items of ignorance, delusions and lies since 15th January 2015 !
  1. 30 January 2018 jeffreyw: Yet another ignorant and deluded PDF with an insane "biocline" in stars (balls of plasma!) fantasy.
  2. 27 February 2018: His insane cartoon, e.g. the Earth 2.5 times older than it is measured, stars magically losing 99.9999% of their mass and impossible changing of composition to rock, blatant lie of white dwarfs being a few million years old, imaginary "grey dwarfs", imaginary "ocean worlds", missing red giants.
  3. 27 February 2018: Usual lies about the nebular hypothesis and accretion being false.
  4. 27 February 2018: Paranoia of people "parroting false information to get the A's and B's"
  5. 2 March 2018: Thinks insulting peoples understanding, etc. is a good idea!
  6. 2 March 2018: Inanity of linking to an PDF we already know to be ignorant and deluded, expanded to 226 pages!
  7. 2 March 2018: Insanity that red giants are not stars !
  8. 2 March 2018: "It is stated" insanity of directly imaging any detecting exoplanets "without the need of viewing apparatuses".
  9. 6 March 2018: A lie about replacing outdated theories', a delusion that experts take any notice of an ignorant crank on the internet.
  10. 12 March 2018: A new PDF that lies about planets and stars.
  11. 12 March 2018: A "1 out of 200,000,000,000" and exoplanets lie

Last edited by Reality Check; 16th April 2018 at 03:14 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2018, 05:51 PM   #1371
bobdroege7
Master Poster
 
bobdroege7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,523
Originally Posted by jeffreyw View Post
New paper:

http://vixra.org/pdf/1804.0193v1.pdf

I am also excited that the TESS is going up today as well. It will give me even more data to crush the nonsense of establishment dogma.

It is clear. Stars cool, lose mass, shrink and differentiate their interiors, becoming what are called "planets". They are the same objects.
Hey, you should put Canis Majoris and R136A1 on your chart.

I realize that those two stars would be considered outliers, but it would dispense with the idea that your chart can predict anything.
__________________
Un-american Jack-booted thug

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2018, 06:13 PM   #1372
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 22,463
Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
Hey, you should put Canis Majoris and R136A1 on your chart.
But those are real stars !
jeffreyw is taking his delusion that planets are old stars and plotting exoplanets with Earth, Jupiter and Neptune masses against radius and some brown dwarfs, e.g. HAP P 34.

But now we have a delusion that I have not noticed before:
17 April 2018: The actually insane delusion that planets lose mass.
It is definitely a delusion that stars lose enough mass to become planets (99.9997% of the Sun to become an Earth). However stars have credible mechanisms to lose a small percentage of their mass. See What’s the Quicker Solar Weight Loss Plan: Solar Wind, or Nuclear Fusion? where Phil Plait calculates that the Sun has lost about 0.05 percent of its mass so far. Thus 0.1% by the time the Sun expands to become a red giant at the end of its lifetime.

Planets do not have solar winds or fusion! They do have atmospheric escape but also gain mass from dust, meteorites and rarer comet impacts. A planet like Mercury (no atmosphere) should only gain mass. A planet like Venus (hot atmosphere) may be losing mass. Earth may be losing or gaining mass. Mars should be gaining mass (cold atmosphere, lots of impacts). Jupiter may be losing atmosphere but there is evidence of a rocky core of 12-45 Earth masses and we know of at least 1 comet impact. The other gas giants get colder and lose atmosphere even slower.

There are dwarf planets that can only gain mass through impacts (none or negligible atmospheres): "Ceres in the asteroid belt, and Pluto, Haumea, Makemake, and Eris in the outer solar system".

I wonder where "planets" (Pluto, etc.) made of ice fit into the "planets are old stars" delusion ?

17 April 2018: A "trend is clear" partial lie in the PDF.
There is no analysis to give any trend for the data. The only trend is visual - a maybe linear increase in radius with mass.
But there is an outlying bunch of exoplanets below that trend that he ignores. That group has masses from 0.44 to 33.7 Jupiter masses and 0.85 to 1.13 Jupiter radii. Thai's a group of exoplanets around 1 Jupiter mass with a wide range of radii.

17 April 2018: A suggestion of perhaps biased selection of data for the PDF.
Obviously the radius of a planet should increase as the mass of the planet increases. So his results are not unexpected for real planets. However ...
These are exoplanets that include hot Jupiters whose atmospheres have expanded due to that heat.
There are thousands of exoplanets and he only plots 26 of them in the first graph. ETA: A good excuse would be selection of exoplanets that have both mass and radius measured.

Last edited by Reality Check; 16th April 2018 at 07:24 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 10:28 AM   #1373
jeffreyw
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Cocoa Beach, FL
Posts: 337
Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
Hey, you should put Canis Majoris and R136A1 on your chart.

I realize that those two stars would be considered outliers, but it would dispense with the idea that your chart can predict anything.
The vast majority of the stars observed fit on that diagram. I tried to cut and paste it onto the excel spread sheet but the data wasn't formatted correctly.

I assume you took statistics right? If in fact 99.9999% of the stars observed fit close to that diagram, then it does, in fact, predict their evolutionary timelines.

I think 5 sigma accuracy is pretty spot on. Not only that, but taking outliers as representative of the data ignores basic statistics as well. That's why they are called outliers! They are outside of the meaningful data set. That's like saying everybody is suppose to be Jeff Bezos in terms of wealth. In fact, actual wealth accumulation is far, far below Jeff Bezos for the average human beings lifetime earnings.

Further, I think the people you trust, their approach, in taking a single sample of the solar system, and claiming that it IS representative of 200 billion + possible stellar systems is ignoring statistics itself. A sample size of 1 out of 200 billion is essentially zero data, yet that is exactly what they did. No wonder they have no idea what they are talking about.
__________________
Planets are not formed from disks, that would be in violation of the conservation of angular momentum.

A "planet" is just an ancient star. They were never mutually exclusive.

http://vixra.org/pdf/1711.0206v3.pdf The new book.
jeffreyw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 11:25 AM   #1374
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 13,219
Originally Posted by jeffreyw View Post
The vast majority of the stars observed fit on that diagram. I tried to cut and paste it onto the excel spread sheet but the data wasn't formatted correctly.

I assume you took statistics right? If in fact 99.9999% of the stars observed fit close to that diagram, then it does, in fact, predict their evolutionary timelines.

I think 5 sigma accuracy is pretty spot on. Not only that, but taking outliers as representative of the data ignores basic statistics as well. That's why they are called outliers! They are outside of the meaningful data set. That's like saying everybody is suppose to be Jeff Bezos in terms of wealth. In fact, actual wealth accumulation is far, far below Jeff Bezos for the average human beings lifetime earnings.

Further, I think the people you trust, their approach, in taking a single sample of the solar system, and claiming that it IS representative of 200 billion + possible stellar systems is ignoring statistics itself. A sample size of 1 out of 200 billion is essentially zero data, yet that is exactly what they did. No wonder they have no idea what they are talking about.

Asking you not to ignore particular classes of stars, red giants and red super giants that don't fit your notions is not the same as portraying such classes of stars as representative of average stars. Strawman much?

I assume you took statistics right? So the average, for all people, of accumulated wealth over a persons lifetime actually includes the accumulated wealth of Jeff Bezos over his life time, it doesn't exclude it. Not even your own analogy supports your deliberate ignorance.
__________________
BRAINZZZZZZZZ
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 11:29 AM   #1375
bobdroege7
Master Poster
 
bobdroege7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,523
I never took statistics, which is the only thing between me and a math degree.

That being said, I am not unfamiliar with some statistical concepts, so where is your correlation equation and your R value?

If you seek to explain stellar metamorphosis, you do need to explain how such outliers as R136A1 and Canis Majoris fit into your theory.

After all they are only extreme examples of blue giant and red giant stars, which are both reasonably common, Rigel and Betelgeuse being well known examples, and the Sun is expected to enter the red giant phase in a few billion years.

How about including stars with greater than 2 times the mass of the sun in your chart, you may learn something.

or maybe not
__________________
Un-american Jack-booted thug

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 01:43 PM   #1376
Crawtator
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 266
Originally Posted by jeffreyw View Post
The vast majority of the stars observed fit on that diagram. I tried to cut and paste it onto the excel spread sheet but the data wasn't formatted correctly.

I assume you took statistics right? If in fact 99.9999% of the stars observed fit close to that diagram, then it does, in fact, predict their evolutionary timelines.

I think 5 sigma accuracy is pretty spot on. Not only that, but taking outliers as representative of the data ignores basic statistics as well. That's why they are called outliers! They are outside of the meaningful data set. That's like saying everybody is suppose to be Jeff Bezos in terms of wealth. In fact, actual wealth accumulation is far, far below Jeff Bezos for the average human beings lifetime earnings.

Further, I think the people you trust, their approach, in taking a single sample of the solar system, and claiming that it IS representative of 200 billion + possible stellar systems is ignoring statistics itself. A sample size of 1 out of 200 billion is essentially zero data, yet that is exactly what they did. No wonder they have no idea what they are talking about.
People here have pointed to the fact that you are excluding a much larger percentage from your "random" groupings. Furthermore, you cannot claim 99.9999% accuracy until you have provided 1 million data points and you clearly haven't done that. I am beginning to think that your ability to understands statistics is limited and that you are cherry-picking. The fact that you can only cite yourself, which I have pointed out previously, supports my belief.
Crawtator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 01:45 PM   #1377
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 22,463
This Is What It Looks Like When Solar Systems Form
Quote:
After generations of speculations, we’ve finally got the images that tell us the full story.

Some 4.5 billion years ago, our Sun and Solar System were born from a collapsing cloud of gas, likely alongside many other stars.
...
Owing to a new instrument on a remarkable telescope, the ESO’s Very Large Telescope, we can now image protoplanetary disks directly.
Until a few years ago we had images ranging from the collapsing cloud to the formed solar system with a gap of the planets being formed. Now we have those.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2018, 02:09 PM   #1378
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 22,463
Thumbs down A "vast majority of the stars" double lie

Originally Posted by jeffreyw View Post
The vast majority of the stars observed fit on that diagram.
18 April 2018: A "vast majority of the stars" double lie.
He plots exoplanets and brown dwarfs, not stars. There are thousands of exoplanets alone that are not on his graph.

18 April 2018: Abysmal ignorance about statistics.
Correlation does not imply causation.
That example I remember is a correlation between economic indexes and the length of woman's dresses. That does not mean a fashion fad for shorter or longer dresses affects the economy !

18 April 2018: A probable "5 sigma accuracy" lie.
There are no statistics in the PDF: 17 April 2018: A "trend is clear" partial lie in the PDF.

There is a clear outlying group that makes a "5 sigma accuracy" very unlikely. Even the dumb act of excluding that group of valid data might not give that accuracy.
17 April 2018: A "trend is clear" partial lie in the PDF.

18 April 2018: "taking outliers as representative of the data" ignorance.
Outliers are included in the statistical analysis, not "as representative of the data" but as variability in the data. If there are credible reasons for outliers being not part of the data being analyzed then they can be excluded from the data.

18 April 2018: A "solar system is taken to be representative of "200 billion + systems" lie.
The solar system is a piece of evidence for the formation of stellar systems which can be vastly different from the solar system. The rest of the evidence is physics + observations - a thing called science!
We see molecular clouds which physics tells us will collapse if perturbed, e.g. by a nearby nova.
We see collapsing molecular clouds which physics tells us will form stars and planets.
We see young stars surrounded by the remains of those collapsed molecular clouds and planets clearing their orbits.

This Is What It Looks Like When Solar Systems Form

Last edited by Reality Check; 17th April 2018 at 02:14 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 11:30 AM   #1379
jeffreyw
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Cocoa Beach, FL
Posts: 337
Originally Posted by Crawtator View Post
People here have pointed to the fact that you are excluding a much larger percentage from your "random" groupings. Furthermore, you cannot claim 99.9999% accuracy until you have provided 1 million data points and you clearly haven't done that. I am beginning to think that your ability to understands statistics is limited and that you are cherry-picking. The fact that you can only cite yourself, which I have pointed out previously, supports my belief.
New paper showing where the majority of stars fit. The trend in mass-radius.

http://vixra.org/pdf/1804.0193v1.pdf

Of course, the accuracy will continue to get better, and we (at least people who understand this theory) will see how star's evolutionary histories played out based on their mass-radius relationships.

That being said, WASP-107b fits right below the Taylor Threshold, meaning it will not be able to form life, as it is evolving way too fast, as is predicted by stellar metamorphosis.

http://vixra.org/pdf/1805.0272v1.pdf

Working astronomers still have time to correct themselves, but as the TESS and future "exoplanet" telescopes continue bringing in new information, it will become clearer and clearer. Stellar evolution is planet formation as is predicted by stellar metamorphosis. Stars and planets are the same objects, they were never mutually exclusive.

The main book has 494 unique I.P. downloads, #322. It will be into the thousands like the original paper is, and paper #62 which has over 3,400 unique I.P. downloads.
__________________
Planets are not formed from disks, that would be in violation of the conservation of angular momentum.

A "planet" is just an ancient star. They were never mutually exclusive.

http://vixra.org/pdf/1711.0206v3.pdf The new book.
jeffreyw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 01:28 PM   #1380
Crawtator
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 266
Do you really consider that second paper to be a "scientific" paper? There are ZERO cites and more references to cats and kitties than facts. Sorry. Not gonna cut it.

Stop referencing your own opinions and do some real work. It's hard. I don't know if you can do it. But this nonsense is a slap in the face to real astronomers and astrophysicists doing real science.
Crawtator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 02:39 PM   #1381
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 22,463
Thumbs down A "new paper" lie when he links to yet another deluded PDF

Originally Posted by jeffreyw View Post
New paper showing where the majority of stars fit.
16 May 2018: A "new paper" lie when he links to yet another deluded, lying PDF.

16 May 2018: A "The nebular hypothesis and all accretion theories cannot explain anything" lie in the old Mass-Radius Relationship PDF.

The new delusion is "WASP-107b, a Star that Will Never Form Life".
16 May 2018: A lie that the WASP-107b exoplanet is a star.
16 May 2018: A lie that WASP-107b would ever be considered to form life (it is a super-Neptune exoplanet).
16 May 2018: Persists with the lying Wolynski -Taylor cartoon.
16 May 2018: A "being ripped apart by its host " delusion.
16 May 2018: Usual "establishment dogma" insanity.
16 May 2018: A deluded lie about the detection of helium on an exoplanet.
Helium has been detected on an exoplanet (the gas giant WASP-107b): Astronomers spot helium on exoplanet for first time
A deluded lie because he is denying the existence of helium in gas giants such as Jupiter and Saturn and even the trace amounts of helium here on Earth.
A doubly deluded lie because his delusion is that planets are old stars and stars contain helium .
16 May 2018: Stupid and lying comparisons of babies/adults, kittens and cats.
Stupid because kittens gain mass to become cats and his delusion has stars losing mass.
Lying because cats and kittens have similar features while stars are very different from planets (enormously heavier, different composition, thousands of degrees hotter, etc.)

jeffreyw: 352 items of ignorance, delusions and lies since 15th January 2015 !
  1. 17 April 2018: The actually insane delusion that planets lose mass.
  2. 17 April 2018: A "trend is clear" partial lie in the PDF.
  3. 17 April 2018: A suggestion of perhaps biased selection of data for the PDF.
  4. 18 April 2018: A "vast majority of the stars" double lie.
  5. 18 April 2018: Abysmal ignorance about statistics.
  6. 18 April 2018: A probable "5 sigma accuracy" lie.
  7. 18 April 2018: "taking outliers as representative of the data" ignorance.
  8. 18 April 2018: A "solar system is taken to be representative of "200 billion + systems" lie.

Last edited by Reality Check; 15th May 2018 at 02:59 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 08:36 PM   #1382
Wolrab
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,372
More and more time between new pronouncements. Must be hard to come up with this nonsense.
__________________
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 09:28 PM   #1383
Kid Eager
Philosopher
 
Kid Eager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,636
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
More and more time between new pronouncements. Must be hard to come up with this nonsense.
I imagine janitors have reasonable amounts of spare time.
__________________
What do Narwhals, Magnets and Apollo 13 have in common? Think about it....
Kid Eager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2018, 11:41 PM   #1384
Nonpareil
The Terrible Trivium
 
Nonpareil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Nethescurial
Posts: 8,020
Originally Posted by Crawtator View Post
Do you really consider that second paper to be a "scientific" paper?
That's what happens when you don't understand how science works, yes. You end up claiming absolute drivel to be scientific just because you don't know what the word means.
__________________
"The only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that's hardly worth the effort."
- Norton Juster, The Phantom Tollbooth
Nonpareil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 06:50 AM   #1385
bobdroege7
Master Poster
 
bobdroege7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,523
Originally Posted by jeffreyw View Post

That being said, WASP-107b fits right below the Taylor Threshold, meaning it will not be able to form life, as it is revolving way too fast, as is predicted by stellar metamorphosis.
Fixed that for you, that and it's way too hot.
__________________
Un-american Jack-booted thug

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 07:30 AM   #1386
fuelair
Suspended
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 57,679
Originally Posted by jeffreyw View Post
New paper:

http://vixra.org/pdf/1804.0193v1.pdf

I am also excited that the TESS is going up today as well. It will give me even more data to crush the nonsense of establishment dogma.

It is clear. Stars cool, lose mass, shrink and differentiate their interiors, becoming what are called "planets". They are the same objects.
Friendly note, currently there is no known data (other than from incompetents, fools, tools, liars and related who do not remotely understand how and why science works and make stuff up) sufficient to change the current knowledge and theories for real scientists. YMMV, but would be what we scientist types like to refer to as WRONG!!!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 07:44 AM   #1387
bobdroege7
Master Poster
 
bobdroege7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,523
Originally Posted by fuelair View Post

YMMV, but would be what we scientist types like to refer to as WRONG!!!!!!!

Or NEW!

Yes JeffreyW, you have a NEW theory!
__________________
Un-american Jack-booted thug

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 08:40 AM   #1388
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster
 
ferd burfle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Just short of Zeta II Reticuli
Posts: 1,407
Originally Posted by jeffreyw View Post
The main book has 494 unique I.P. downloads, #322. It will be into the thousands like the original paper is, and paper #62 which has over 3,400 unique I.P. downloads.

People slow down to gawk at auto wrecks too.
__________________
"You do not know anyone as stupid as Donald Trump. You just don’t.”-Fran Lebowitz
"A target doesn't need to be preselected"-Jabba
ferd burfle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 09:23 AM   #1389
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster
 
ferd burfle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Just short of Zeta II Reticuli
Posts: 1,407
Jeffrey, I keep coming back to your description of your discovery, where you noticed the similarity between schematic diagrams of the internal layers of a pre-supernova star with that of the geological layers of the Earth.

Have you ever seen a cross-section of a jawbreaker (gobstopper to some)? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobsto...kerRainbow.jpg Using the same logic as your original discovery, it's quite clear that planets continue to evolve and end up as jawbreakers, belonging further to the right on the time axis of your metamorphosis diagram.

You are free to use this idea, preferably without attribution, but when you become rich and famous a thank-you would be appreciated.
__________________
"You do not know anyone as stupid as Donald Trump. You just don’t.”-Fran Lebowitz
"A target doesn't need to be preselected"-Jabba
ferd burfle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2018, 10:10 AM   #1390
fuelair
Suspended
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 57,679
Originally Posted by ferd burfle View Post
Jeffrey, I keep coming back to your description of your discovery, where you noticed the similarity between schematic diagrams of the internal layers of a pre-supernova star with that of the geological layers of the Earth.

Have you ever seen a cross-section of a jawbreaker (gobstopper to some)? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobsto...kerRainbow.jpg Using the same logic as your original discovery, it's quite clear that planets continue to evolve and end up as jawbreakers, belonging further to the right on the time axis of your metamorphosis diagram.

You are free to use this idea, preferably without attribution, but when you become rich and famous a thank-you would be appreciated.
Well noted - and hopefully the jawbreaker will not turn their bodies molten and rather radioactive!!!!!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2018, 01:40 AM   #1391
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,611
Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
Or NEW!

Yes JeffreyW, you have a NEW theory!
Uh, no.

Scientific TheoryWP
“A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment. Such fact-supported theories are not "guesses" but reliable accounts of the real world.”
None of these conditions are being met except the single word in quotes.
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
Prayer: "a sophisticated way of pleading with thunderstorms." T.Pratchett
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage

Last edited by EHocking; 19th May 2018 at 01:42 AM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2018, 06:01 PM   #1392
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 22,463
Some news from the real world: Mysterious Light Seen Around A Newly Forming Star; Here’s What Astronomers Think It Means
Quote:
Wherever you have a molecular cloud of gas that’s massive enough, you have the potential to form a new star. If that cloud gets cool enough, it’ll start to collapse, with the largest initial imperfections attracting the most matter. CS Cha is one such newborn system, where the center region consists of a binary star system that’s in the process of forming. Surrounding the stars is a dusty disk: exactly what we’d expect for a newly-forming star system. Using the SPHERE instrument on the Very Large Telescope in Chile, they measured the system, its disk, and the surroundings in great detail. They were searching for new planets in general, but what they found appears to be even better than a newborn planet.
...
If it were a background object, it wouldn’t appear to be in the same position years ago as it does today, due to the star’s proper motion across the skies. So this faint ball of highly polarized light truly turned out to be a companion to CS Cha. What does this mean? According to Ginski himself (emphasis added by me, in bold):

The most exciting part is that the light of the companion is highly polarized. Such a preference in the direction of polarization usually occurs when light is scattered along the way. We suspect that the companion is surrounded by [its] own dust disc. The tricky part is that the disc blocks a large part of the light and that is why we can hardly determine the mass of the companion.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2018, 09:23 PM   #1393
bobdroege7
Master Poster
 
bobdroege7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,523
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Uh, no.

Scientific TheoryWP
“A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment. Such fact-supported theories are not "guesses" but reliable accounts of the real world.”
None of these conditions are being met except the single word in quotes.
NEW for not even wrong
__________________
Un-american Jack-booted thug

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2018, 11:24 AM   #1394
jeffreyw
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Cocoa Beach, FL
Posts: 337
Originally Posted by ferd burfle View Post
Jeffrey, I keep coming back to your description of your discovery, where you noticed the similarity between schematic diagrams of the internal layers of a pre-supernova star with that of the geological layers of the Earth.

Have you ever seen a cross-section of a jawbreaker (gobstopper to some)? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobsto...kerRainbow.jpg Using the same logic as your original discovery, it's quite clear that planets continue to evolve and end up as jawbreakers, belonging further to the right on the time axis of your metamorphosis diagram.

You are free to use this idea, preferably without attribution, but when you become rich and famous a thank-you would be appreciated.
The differentiation is common in evolved/dead stars. The heavy material sorts itself. So yea, it would be like a jaw breaker with its layers. It is similar to the principle of superposition in geology. The oldest layers are the lowest because they settled in first. With the Earth the iron core is the oldest, because that is the first object to form inside the star as it cools and dies. I went over that many years ago, as well have outlined it in the goldschmidt classification of rocks.

Also, I have the CBC principle outlined in this paper: http://vixra.org/pdf/1607.0113v1.pdf

The cores of evolving star form before their crusts.



Anyways, here is a new paper written by D. Archer that overviews the realization that life adapts to the evolution of the astron itself (star).

http://vixra.org/pdf/1805.0412v1.pdf

As well I have given a name to the line of stable stars that evolve into Earth like stars: http://vixra.org/pdf/1805.0373v1.pdf

It is called the island of stellar stability, or ISS. I took that idea directly from the isotope island of stability used in nuclear chemistry. I will continue adding stars on that graph and it will be further mapped out when the TESS data comes in.
__________________
Planets are not formed from disks, that would be in violation of the conservation of angular momentum.

A "planet" is just an ancient star. They were never mutually exclusive.

http://vixra.org/pdf/1711.0206v3.pdf The new book.
jeffreyw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2018, 01:57 PM   #1395
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 22,463
Thumbs down A delusion that "heavy stuff" just sorts itself out

Originally Posted by jeffreyw View Post
The differentiation is common in evolved/dead stars. The heavy material sorts itself.
24 May 2018 jeffreyw: A delusion that "heavy stuff" just sorts itself out.
Molten, not being mixed materials can sort themselves out into layers.
Stars are in general being mixed and do not have layers.
Newly formed planets are molten and not being mixed so there can be layers formed, e.g. 24 May 2018 jeffreyw: Structure of the Earth. These are structured by weight.

24 May 2018 jeffreyw: A lie that the principle of superposition in geology is anything to do with his ignorant delusions.

24 May 2018 jeffreyw: A lie that the Goldschmidt classification is anything to do with his ignorant delusions.
Quote:
The Goldschmidt classification,[1] developed by Victor Goldschmidt (1888-1947), is a geochemical classification which groups the chemical elements within the Earth according to their preferred host phases into lithophile (rock-loving), siderophile (iron-loving), chalcophile (ore-loving or chalcogen-loving), and atmophile (gas-loving) or volatile (the element, or a compound in which it occurs, is liquid or gaseous at ambient surface conditions).
24 May 2018 jeffreyw: Usual idiotic, deluded and lying PDFs by him and D Archer.
22 December 2017 jeffreyw: An ignorant crank is helping another ignorant crank to dig themselves deeper into a pit of ignorance and delusion.

"Core Before Crust Principle of Stellar Evolution" is a paragraph with his ignorant delusion that stars form crusts.
"Stellar Metamorphosis: Life Paradigm" starts with gibberish about life forming because stars form! He cannot recognize the blatant lies in the Wolyinski-Taylor cartoon. Then we have the insanity about life forming on his imaginary "astron" - a star! Ends with word salad meaning nothing.
"Island of Stellar Stability" is jeffreyw's repeated insanity of plotting planet and exoplanet radius and mass and calling them stars with no actual stars potted! He adds the insanity of planets decaying as in radioactive decay and lies about it!

24 May 2018 jeffreyw: Lies about the isotope island of stability, e.g. "where elements are stable".
Island of stability
Quote:
In nuclear physics, the island of stability is the prediction that a set of heavy nuclides with a near magic number of protons and neutrons will temporarily reverse the trend of decreasing stability in elements heavier than uranium.
The stability of those predicted elements is debated (half-lives thought to be minutes to millions of years) but they are not stable! They are more stable than surrounding isotopes.

24 May 2018 jeffreyw: A lie that his plot has anything to do with the stability of planets.
A plot of planet mass versus radius just shows that more massive planets have a larger radius !

24 May 2018 jeffreyw: A lie that his plot contains stars, e.g. the Sun is not plotted..

Last edited by Reality Check; 23rd May 2018 at 02:30 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2018, 04:23 PM   #1396
fuelair
Suspended
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 57,679
Originally Posted by jeffreyw View Post
The differentiation is common in evolved/dead stars. The heavy material sorts itself. So yea, it would be like a jaw breaker with its layers. It is similar to the principle of superposition in geology. The oldest layers are the lowest because they settled in first. With the Earth the iron core is the oldest, because that is the first object to form inside the star as it cools and dies. I went over that many years ago, as well have outlined it in the goldschmidt classification of rocks.

Also, I have the CBC principle outlined in this paper: http://vixra.org/pdf/1607.0113v1.pdf

The cores of evolving star form before their crusts.



Anyways, here is a new paper written by D. Archer that overviews the realization that life adapts to the evolution of the astron itself (star).

http://vixra.org/pdf/1805.0412v1.pdf

As well I have given a name to the line of stable stars that evolve into Earth like stars: http://vixra.org/pdf/1805.0373v1.pdf

It is called the island of stellar stability, or ISS. I took that idea directly from the isotope island of stability used in nuclear chemistry. I will continue adding stars on that graph and it will be further mapped out when the TESS data comes in.
No. Really, really NO!!! I am neither joking nor am I making stuff up. I do not know if you have no actual knowledge of the topic as covered by the real scientists who study stars and related OR if you have vague knowledge but do not know enough details to utilize it correctly and/or make what you are saying clear. And what agency allowed you to choose a name for anything. Feel free to supply evidence of any such credentials, awards, discoveries that can be verified with little difficulty.


And, another point, it is useless to claim that a star allows life to form unless the life has been so observed in other solar systems.......
So far it has not so that idea is pointless until verification is found/discovered/observed. Earth and it's sun is not remotely sufficient to call that a general rule.

Last edited by fuelair; 30th May 2018 at 04:27 PM.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2018, 08:46 AM   #1397
jeffreyw
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Cocoa Beach, FL
Posts: 337
New paper on a dimensionless quantity to determine if a star will be flaring or contracting based on the Kepler data of stars between 1 and .5 solar masses. This is to re-appropriate the sciences from the false idea of the Sun expanding into a red giant, when clearly it will be contracting into a red dwarf far into its future as it loses mass and contracts.

http://vixra.org/pdf/1806.0018v1.pdf

More to follow later when the TESS data begins rolling in.
__________________
Planets are not formed from disks, that would be in violation of the conservation of angular momentum.

A "planet" is just an ancient star. They were never mutually exclusive.

http://vixra.org/pdf/1711.0206v3.pdf The new book.
jeffreyw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2018, 11:38 AM   #1398
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 13,219
Originally Posted by jeffreyw View Post
New paper on a dimensionless quantity to determine if a star will be flaring or contracting based on the Kepler data of stars between 1 and .5 solar masses. This is to re-appropriate the sciences from the false idea of the Sun expanding into a red giant, when clearly it will be contracting into a red dwarf far into its future as it loses mass and contracts.

http://vixra.org/pdf/1806.0018v1.pdf

More to follow later when the TESS data begins rolling in.
Why you don't think certain stars will become red giants is irrelevant to the fact that we do find red giants and super giants in the universe but not on your star/planet evolution graphics. Casandra is beside herself, as people did try to warn you.
__________________
BRAINZZZZZZZZ
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2018, 05:19 PM   #1399
jonesdave116
Master Poster
 
jonesdave116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,090
Originally Posted by jeffreyw View Post
New paper on a dimensionless quantity to determine if a star will be flaring or contracting based on the Kepler data of stars between 1 and .5 solar masses. This is to re-appropriate the sciences from the false idea of the Sun expanding into a red giant, when clearly it will be contracting into a red dwarf far into its future as it loses mass and contracts.

http://vixra.org/pdf/1806.0018v1.pdf

More to follow later when the TESS data begins rolling in.
Vixra. Lol.
__________________
“There is in every village a torch - the teacher; and an extinguisher - the priest.” - Victor Hugo

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2018, 07:55 AM   #1400
Wolrab
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,372
I produce papers daily that have more proof on them than JW's entire collection. Fortunately I flush them away for sanitary reasons.
__________________
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:35 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.