ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Paul Ryan , Wisconsin politics

Old 11th April 2018, 06:23 PM   #81
Venom
Graduate Poster

Paul Ryan to quit in January 2019

Paul Ryan is calling it quits, but he's gonna wait til January of next year to do it.

For a minute there I thought he was quitting in the face of Trump's disintegrating leadership...

Last edited by Venom; 11th April 2018 at 06:26 PM.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 06:44 PM   #82
fuelair
Suspended

Riddance/rubbish.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 06:45 PM   #83
Loss Leader
Do you want to date my Avatar?

Technically, he's just not running again.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 09:40 PM   #84
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Like plenty of Republicans, he doesn't want to be in Congress when it is time to vote to impeach Trump: they don't want to be on the record either way.
Old 11th April 2018, 11:31 PM   #85
Lurch
Critical Thinker

Now that Ryan's no longer in the grip of having to eye his re-election chances, it would be a breath of fresh air to see him take a principled stand against Trumpism. But against such a scenario I shan't hold my breath. If he continues on in his spineless, supine subservience, for any re-emergence by him as a future Presidential candidate I pray that among the electorate memories are long and disinclined to soften.

If he's unhappy carrying water for the Orange one, a pox on him for his cowardice. It will take a most notable volte face on his part to begin to earn redemption. And even then, if there's the whiff of the self-serving motivated by future political prospects, such disinguenuous, late-to-the-party protestations should be taken for what they are. Honest, even self-recriminating introspection is what would be marvelous to see.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 12:20 AM   #86
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Ryan is leaving in order to avoid having to make a principled stand.
Old 12th April 2018, 05:20 AM   #87
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
As much as I dislike what a lot of the GOP has become, I think a "Everybody in the GOP is Evil" viewpoint is a bit much.
They are just comfortable associating with white supremacists. Nothing wrong with that, after all many white supremacists are fine people.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 05:32 AM   #88
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Eh, I don't think this is right, at least for 2018. The entire House is up for re-election, whereas only 1/3 of the Senate is at a time, and most of the seats Senate in 2018 are current Democrats. The House is meant to be more responsive to swings in public opinion.
That is also true but the republicans have an advantage due to gerrymandering anyway because it often needs to be more than 50% democrat vote to win. A large enough shift would overcome their gerrymandering but that doesn't mean it is a level playing field. Many states have more people voting democrat in house elections and send a majority of republicans to congress after all.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 05:34 AM   #89
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Ryan is leaving in order to avoid having to make a principled stand.
Exactly he is trying to avoid the stigma of potentially losing the election or having getting splattered with more of Trumps Dumps. This way he continues to be perceived as clean.
Old 12th April 2018, 06:23 AM   #90
plague311
Great minds think...

To be fair, all you have to do to run for a party primary is to join the party and all you have to do that is pretty much tell the local election officials you are registering as a member of said party.
Sort of hard to vet every member that joins in that situation.
Right...that kind of reinforces my point. A party cannot choose who represents them, but the person can pick which party they go to in an attempt to garner the most votes. Those people consistently chose to represent the Republican party, why is that?

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 10:17 AM   #91
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Exactly he is trying to avoid the stigma of potentially losing the election or having getting splattered with more of Trumps Dumps. This way he continues to be perceived as clean.
Really? I'm not sure many over here would perceive him in that way.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 10:17 AM   #92
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting article...
http://tico.com/magazine/story/2018/...s-plans-217989

I would be a bit harsher on Ryan for selling his soul,but as the writer is right in how RYan has ruined his legacy.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 10:22 AM   #93
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Quote:
Well most people here wouldn't perceive Ryan as clean, but I don't think the demographics of this board match with those of the American electorate as a whole.

To the average Republican voter (or potential supporter) who has left the party because they don't like the overt racism of Trump, whatever moral failings he has would probably be overlooked because, well, he's better than Trump.

(I'm not saying Ryan IS a good person or good representative, only that the people making up his base may think he is.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 10:23 AM   #94
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting article...
http://tico.com/magazine/story/2018/...s-plans-217989

I would be a bit harsher on Ryan for selling his soul,but as the writer is right in how RYan has ruined his legacy.
I'm getting a 404 error on that link.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 10:43 AM   #95
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

TRy this one:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...s-plans-217989

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 11:15 AM   #96
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Well, other than....

Try as you might, everything cannot be reduced to tort law.
Which he will do for the length of time the constitution specifies.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 11:23 AM   #97
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

He gets out before the whole thing comes crashing down, that certainly is better for his long term political viability than say not being speaker of the house next year or having to vote one way or the other on Trumps impeachment.
Old 12th April 2018, 11:29 AM   #98
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

He got the trillion dollar deficits he wanted, why can't he retire on that victory?
Old 12th April 2018, 11:34 AM   #99
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

He got the trillion dollar deficits he wanted, why can't he retire on that victory?
Don't you remember Ryan's election slogan?

Build a giant deficit and make Social Security pay for it.
Old 12th April 2018, 02:39 PM   #100
Hans
Philosopher

Any possibility he did so so he can run unencumbered for the Republican nomination in 2020?
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 02:48 PM   #101
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Any possibility he did so so he can run unencumbered for the Republican nomination in 2020?
I've heard people speculate about that. I suppose it's possible that he thinks his chances are good even though it seems like an absurd longshot to me.
Civet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 03:00 PM   #102
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

I can't imagine why anyone would clamor for the Speakership these days. It requires cashing in favors rather than acquiring them, it's tireless, thankless, and anything you accomplish some jerk from a whole other branch of government comes along and says they get all the credit.

This is where the tapatalk signature that annoys people used to be
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 03:28 PM   #103
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
I can't imagine why anyone would clamor for the Speakership these days. It requires cashing in favors rather than acquiring them, it's tireless, thankless, and anything you accomplish some jerk from a whole other branch of government comes along and says they get all the credit.

This is where the tapatalk signature that annoys people used to be
I agree.

Red Ink Ryan really just wants to make it through October. That's when he will have been speaker for 3 years, with the higher salary that goes with the speakership. And guess what? His pension is determined using the last 3 years of his salary.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 09:59 PM   #104
fuelair
Suspended

Not here either, he is forever tainted.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 06:08 AM   #105
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
I agree.

Red Ink Ryan really just wants to make it through October. That's when he will have been speaker for 3 years, with the higher salary that goes with the speakership. And guess what? His pension is determined using the last 3 years of his salary.

Very interesting info, thanks !

ETA: link with more info on congressional pensions
https://www.factcheck.org/2015/01/co...nsions-update/

Last edited by TheL8Elvis; 13th April 2018 at 06:10 AM.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 06:25 AM   #106
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I guess that the Republicans have essentially conceded the fact that they will loose control of the House in the upcoming elections.

And as such, Paul Ryan would rather quit now than face the dual ignominy of loosing the House and his job as Speaker of the House later.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 06:26 AM   #107
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I guess that the Republicans have essentially conceded the fact that they will loose control of the House in the upcoming elections.

And as such, Paul Ryan would rather quit now than face the dual ignominy of loosing the House and his job as Speaker of the House later.
Nevermind.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 10:17 AM   #108
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post

There are rumors that the big contributors to the GOP are starting to pull their money out of the House races as a lost cause and put it into the Senate races.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th April 2018, 10:35 AM   #109
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I now think the rise of a Anti Trump Movement on the conservative side is inevitable. The departure of Ryan indicated the more Libertarian wing of the GOP has lost the war for the GOP's soul, and they will soon depart to form a movement of their own. Which I, for one, might have some sympathy for since on fiscal issues I would be considered a moderate conservative.
The GOP is now longer about fiscal restraint,limits on Government, etc, but all bout Race and Religious hatred of anybody who is not a WHite American. SO lone as this remains the case, it will be a cold day in hell before I vote GOP again.
I think a couple of the Trump defenders here are basically classic conservatives who are in denial about what has happened to the GOP. A couple of the other Trump defenders are full scale members of the Trump Personalty cult. The former might eventually come to their senses,but the latter are probably a lost cause.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 13th April 2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 13th April 2018, 11:10 AM   #110
lomiller
Philosopher

I now think the rise of a Anti Trump Movement on the conservative side is inevitable. The departure of Ryan indicated the more Libertarian wing of the GOP has lost the war for the GOP's soul, and they will soon depart to form a movement of their own. Which I, for one, might have some sympathy for since on fiscal issues I would be considered a moderate conservative.
I doubt it. This pattern is nothing new, hard-core Republicans have been sloughing away for decades when the party got too crazy for them. The only thing that’s changed is just how extreme these people are in their own right. The only thing that changes is a new, even crazier, normal that Republicans are expected to espouse.

The GOP is now longer about fiscal restraint,limits on Government, etc,
Those haven’t been anything more than talking points for at least 30 years. I don’t the there is any real policy behind any of todays Republicans, it’s all devolved into political memes that they repeat in order to hold onto power.

Last edited by lomiller; 13th April 2018 at 11:11 AM.
lomiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 11:32 AM   #111
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
I wonder if there's a chance the republicans could just "give up" on trying to win the house (expecting the Democrats have enough momentum to win regardless of what the republicans do), and concentrate all their efforts on the senate.

It would also have the secondary benefit of having the Democrats in at least partial control of Congress if/when the economy starts to go tank thanks to Trump's trade wars and the republican tax plans.
No way.You do not concede either house of congress.
I'm not suggesting an actual full-out concession "we won't run anybody", but more of a "we will spend a lot less than we normally would" Even with big donors, there are limits to how much money they can spend; concentrating it on the senate (where they have a better chance at maintaining control) would make some sense.
Quote:
And the Party controlling the White House always takes the rap when the economy goes south.
Yeah, they do. But there may be at least a few feeble-minded Republicans who will buy the whole "Its the democrats fault because they have the house" even if they still have a republican white house and senate. Just look at how much effort they've been putting into the whole "deep state" claims.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 15th April 2018, 04:52 AM   #112
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Right...that kind of reinforces my point. A party cannot choose who represents them, but the person can pick which party they go to in an attempt to garner the most votes. Those people consistently chose to represent the Republican party, why is that?
Under your system, maybe not. In other systems, this simply doesn't occur as the local party takes a vote on who their candidate is.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2018, 06:50 PM   #113
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

The fact that public polls and the Republicans' own internal polls show a Republican catastrophe coming in the next couple of rounds of elections is not necessarily very good for Democrats, for two reasons.

1. Even a very large Democrat wave can still seem small compared to overblown expectations.

2. No matter how big the wave is, it can still be temporary if the Democrats take the wrong lesson from it and don't get their act together, because they are spectacularly talented at finding ways to turn opportunity into failure.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2018, 07:02 PM   #114
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
The fact that public polls and the Republicans' own internal polls show a Republican catastrophe coming in the next couple of rounds of elections is not necessarily very good for Democrats, for two reasons.

1. Even a very large Democrat wave can still seem small compared to overblown expectations.

2. No matter how big the wave is, it can still be temporary if the Democrats take the wrong lesson from it and don't get their act together, because they are spectacularly talented at finding ways to turn opportunity into failure.
I remember what Will Rogers use to say. 'I don't belong to an organized political party, I'm a Democrat'.

Normally, I don't think you can just say we're against the President and expect to win. Trump may just be an exception. There are very very few people who don't have a visceral reaction to Trump. There are people who would support him if he shot somebody in Midtown Manhattan and one hell of a lot of people who dread reading the day's news wondering what Mr. Batcrap Crazy did today.
Old 16th April 2018, 07:02 AM   #115
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
I agree.

I thought it was 3 highest not last. They generally go together but not always.
Old 16th April 2018, 07:26 AM   #116
Worm
Master Poster

Highest 3 (consecutive) year average. So in his case, his last three years will also have been the highest.

https://www.opm.gov/retirement-servi...n/computation/

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2018, 07:38 AM   #117
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

I thought it was 3 highest not last. They generally go together but not always.
Correct. I had abbreviated my response a little too much.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics