ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 11th April 2018, 11:59 AM   #921
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
It does not count since Trump can't fire him, but some kind of honorable mention needs to be given to Paul Ryan,since I have a feeling that dealing with Trump is a major reason he is abandoning ship...
Agreed. And glad you refrained from using that four letter word.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 01:29 PM   #922
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Agreed. And glad you refrained from using that four letter word.
A number of people on the internet, in commenting on Ryan's de facto quitting,posted a film clip from "Titanic" showing a number of Rats running away from the rising water....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 01:32 PM   #923
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And speaking of White House Survivors, Preibus is being talked about as a possible candidate to replace Ryan. Right now the only GOP contender in Ryan's district is an open White Supremist who posted a anti Semitic tirade last month on facebook which prompted the head of the Wisconsin GOP to denounce him and say he has no place in the GOP...
This morning there is a scramble to find a respectable candidate for that distreict, and Preibus is among the front runners.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 01:39 PM   #924
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

And speaking of White House Survivors, Preibus is being talked about as a possible candidate to replace Ryan. Right now the only GOP contender in Ryan's district is an open White Supremist who posted a anti Semitic tirade last month on facebook which prompted the head of the Wisconsin GOP to denounce him and say he has no place in the GOP...
This morning there is a scramble to find a respectable candidate for that distreict, and Preibus is among the front runners.
My god. What do the dems have?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 02:41 PM   #925
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
My god. What do the dems have?
Borborygmi.
Old 11th April 2018, 03:01 PM   #926
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Borborygmi.
Cute. And thanks to George Carlin for teaching me that term.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 03:02 PM   #927
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Does Priebus live in that district or is this a carpetbagger's situation?
Old 11th April 2018, 03:11 PM   #928
Garrison
Illuminator

For certain values of respectable...
Old 11th April 2018, 03:12 PM   #929
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Have no idea.
But ,to be honest, Carpetbagging in another distreict of state you have been a long term residence of does not carry the stigma of carpetbagging across state borders.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th April 2018, 06:43 PM   #930
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Cute. And thanks to George Carlin for teaching me that term.

I could not have told you where I learned that term, but now I can say with near-certainty that it was probably from George Carlin.
Old 11th April 2018, 07:39 PM   #931
Loss Leader
Do you want to date my Avatar?

A number of people on the internet, in commenting on Ryan's de facto quitting,posted a film clip from "Titanic" showing a number of Rats running away from the rising water....

Is there a video of a rat staying around for two years, attempting to steer the ship, eating from the first class pantry, watching everybody else drown and then hopping onto the Carpathia like he owns it?

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 10:29 PM   #932
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Is there a video of a rat staying around for two years, attempting to steer the ship, eating from the first class pantry, watching everybody else drown and then hopping onto the Carpathia like he owns it?

Seems like ... Trump dressed up as a three year old, throwing cripples over the side as he bullies his way into a lifeboat ... would be more appropriate.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 10:19 AM   #933
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Most of the one posting that clip commented that Ryan was only the latest of a steady stream of GOP reps calling it quite....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th April 2018, 10:26 AM   #934
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Most of the one posting that clip commented that Ryan was only the latest of a steady stream of GOP reps calling it quite....
Quite what?

Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 10:41 AM   #935
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Quite what?

I meant quits. So I will never win a spelling bee...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th April 2018, 10:50 AM   #936
CORed
Philosopher

Blame it on your smartphone's auto-correct. Everyone else does.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 11:46 AM   #937
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

I know, I just couldn't resist. I'm a sucker for a straight line.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 10:19 AM   #938
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Preibus has stated he is not interested in running for the House in Ryan's district.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th April 2018, 10:22 AM   #939
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Who's next ?

Pruitt ? Rosenstein ?

Both are getting hammered , albeit from different sides.
Old 13th April 2018, 10:53 AM   #940
d4m10n
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Who's next ?

Pruitt ? Rosenstein ?

Both are getting hammered , albeit from different sides.
Pruitt is just one Time magazine cover away from getting the sack.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 01:23 PM   #941
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Pruitt is just one Time magazine cover away from getting the sack.
Well if Jeffy Sessions can get one, Pruitt should be able to as well. Wonder if he is that dumb, or that wedded to his job...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 02:27 PM   #942
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

This guy gets a honorable mention:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...resigns-522867

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th April 2018, 03:44 PM   #943
dann
Illuminator

Is he on logger's list?! Or doesn't impregnation count?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 13th April 2018 at 03:45 PM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 03:44 PM   #944
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Rosenstein is the word on the street.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2018, 05:05 AM   #945
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Perhaps this thread should reconsider its focus on who is going to be staying on the island, not who is leaving.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2018, 12:00 PM   #946
d4m10n
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Perhaps this thread should reconsider its focus on who is going to be staying on the island, not who is leaving.
My bet is on Pence (assuming things go well) or else the designated survivor.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2018, 04:54 AM   #947
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Pence being the designated survivor and actually being the last on the island is both probable and exceptionally worrying.
Old 15th April 2018, 05:10 AM   #948
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

It's hard to fire Pence. He can resign or be impeached but Trump can't just fire him.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2018, 05:39 AM   #949
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
It's hard to fire Pence. He can resign or be impeached but Trump can't just fire him.
Craig, I don't know if you spotted the 180-degree change in focus which led to d4m10n's comment?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2018, 05:43 AM   #950
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Craig, I don't know if you spotted the 180-degree change in focus which led to d4m10n's comment?
It was a sort of rhetorical comment. Sorry!
Old 15th April 2018, 07:22 PM   #951
d4m10n
Master Poster

Pence being the designated survivor and actually being the last on the island is both probable and exceptionally worrying.
I used to sleep well at night, from around 1989 until 2016.
Old 15th April 2018, 07:39 PM   #952
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
FTFY

He can't fire him at all. Pence was elected. Pence can tell Trump to go screw himself and if something happens to Trump, Pence is President. Other then breaking ties in the Senate, Pence has no purpose whatsoever.
Old 15th April 2018, 09:22 PM   #953
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Unlike Cheney, who told W to jump and then how high on the way up.
Old 16th April 2018, 05:29 AM   #954
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
FTFY

He can't fire him at all. Pence was elected. Pence can tell Trump to go screw himself and if something happens to Trump, Pence is President. Other then breaking ties in the Senate, Pence has no purpose whatsoever.
Someone once described the Vice-Presidency as "just a heartbeat away from a real job".

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2018, 05:32 AM   #955
Worm
Graduate Poster

also, "not worth a bucket of warm piss"

and that was from a man who had the job

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2018, 10:55 AM   #956
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Someone once described the Vice-Presidency as "just a heartbeat away from a real job".
Originally Posted by Worm View Post
also, "not worth a bucket of warm piss"

and that was from a man who had the job

Insert obligatory Tom Lehrer song here;

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2018, 11:09 AM   #957
d4m10n
Master Poster

Moving my chips over to Scott Pruitt for now.

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/985919517900623873

Not looking fwd to having him back here in Oklahoma . . .
Old 16th April 2018, 05:20 PM   #958
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Moving my chips over to Scott Pruitt for now.

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/985919517900623873

Not looking fwd to having him back here in Oklahoma . . .
So Trump will have to find another fox to guard that particular henhouse?
Old 16th April 2018, 06:45 PM   #959
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Unlike Cheney, who told W to jump and then how high on the way up.
Cheney Wows Sept. 11 Commission By Drinking Glass Of Water While Bush Speaks
Old 16th April 2018, 11:10 PM   #960
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
What skill that must have taken!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics