ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING!

Old 7th March 2018, 09:17 AM   #41
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

BBC is reporting that investigators are focusing on a nearby restaurant and a pub. They are asking people who were in those places to report anything unusual that they saw. Seems like they are suggesting poisoning of food or drink in two possible places. Also reported that they are examining and testing a "substance".
Old 7th March 2018, 10:21 AM   #42
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Early reports mention ten people being affected

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon...-after-1299623
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 10:51 AM   #43
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

BBC now reporting that the toxin was a nerve agent.
Old 7th March 2018, 11:28 AM   #44
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Are you actually implying that Russia wasn't involved in this?

What is your explanation?
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 11:38 AM   #45
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

From the reaction I have seen and heard so far it was done by the UK Govt, It's all a frame up.
They all know it's true because the BBC always lie.

These aren't extremists, these are what I would call 'normal' people who a year ago would never have thought such a thing.
Their reasons for thinking it vary including Brexit, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Pedophiles in high places, the Jews and Soros.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 7th March 2018 at 11:39 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 11:53 AM   #46
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Early reports mention ten people being affected

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon...-after-1299623
It's interesting that the article mentions with not a word that this is about the Russian "spy" and his daughter, but the given time and locale where the two persons became ill match to a tee.

And do I read it correctly that all the other people affected were affected in the A&E?
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 11:54 AM   #47
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
It's interesting that the article mentions with not a word that this is about the Russian "spy" and his daughter, but the given time and locale where the two persons became ill match to a tee.

And do I read it correctly that all the other people affected were affected in the A&E?
Early reoorts are often unclear, but should show the numbers.

A police officer (first on the scene) is seriously ill too.
Old 7th March 2018, 12:01 PM   #48
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
From the reaction I have seen and heard so far it was done by the UK Govt, It's all a frame up.
They all know it's true because the BBC always lie.

These aren't extremists, these are what I would call 'normal' people who a year ago would never have thought such a thing.
Their reasons for thinking it vary including Brexit, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Pedophiles in high places, the Jews and Soros.
Humanity going back to its normal thinking process, then.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 12:24 PM   #49
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
I stand corrected. I somehow got the impression that it was in the shopping centre car park outside, but looking on Google earth the car park is a multi-storey. We wouldn't call it a "mall," though - far too small. It's not unusual to find benches around the edge of open ground-level car parks next to whatever retail building it is, though.
I think that's the missing part of the puzzle and that the police are barking up the wrong tree. I noticed on the news that the bench they were found on is directly outside a Gregs. Coincidence, or colesterol poisoning?
Old 7th March 2018, 12:44 PM   #50
Bob001
Philosopher

Confirmed, poisoned by nerve agent.
Quote:
A former Russian spy and his daughter, who were found unconscious in a British shopping mall over the weekend, are believed to have been poisoned with a nerve agent, police said Wednesday.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/a...-agent-n854516
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 12:53 PM   #51
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Confirmed
Originally Posted by NBC News
believed
LOL.
Old 7th March 2018, 12:58 PM   #52
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Russian spy: Nerve agent 'used to try to kill' Sergei Skripal

A nerve agent was used to try to murder a former Russian spy and his daughter, police have said.

Sergei and Yulia Skripal were found unconscious in Salisbury on Sunday afternoon and remain critically ill.

Mr Rowley, head of Counter Terrorism Policing, said government scientists had identified the agent used, but would not make that information public at this stage.

"This is being treated as a major incident involving attempted murder, by administration of a nerve agent," he said.

"Having established that a nerve agent is the cause of the symptoms... I can also confirm that we believe that the two people who became unwell were targeted specifically."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43323847
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 01:29 PM   #53
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
LOL.
What? When the police say they "believe" something, that's tantamount to confirmation: The guy didn't have a heart attack, or get shot, or react to a mosquito bite, etc. It's a colloquialism. When the cop says "I believe you were driving 60 in a 50," it means he has sufficient evidence for him to write a ticket and take it to court. Do you have a point?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 01:41 PM   #54
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

It's confirmed, it was a nerve agent and they know what type.
Old 7th March 2018, 01:48 PM   #55
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
What? When the police say they "believe" something, that's tantamount to confirmation: The guy didn't have a heart attack, or get shot, or react to a mosquito bite, etc. It's a colloquialism. When the cop says "I believe you were driving 60 in a 50," it means he has sufficient evidence for him to write a ticket and take it to court. Do you have a point?
Yes I have a point. When the American media says that the police "believe" something, it definitely doesn't mean that it is confirmed.
Old 7th March 2018, 01:54 PM   #56
Venom
Graduate Poster

"He was a small fish, we would never care about him." Later, after the conclusion is unavoidable.."HE was a traitor! Why are you westerners always defending criminals!@"
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 01:55 PM   #57
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
It's confirmed, it was a nerve agent and they know what type.
And the first police officer on the scene is also seriously ill.

Heavy stuff.
Old 7th March 2018, 01:59 PM   #58
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

They say it's either VX or Sarin. The police know which one.
Old 7th March 2018, 02:12 PM   #59
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Polonium shortage?
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 02:55 PM   #60
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Dude, "Russia" is a country. Countries don't run around poisoning people. People do. You can see what's "implied" in the picture. Do you actually think that this isn't what happened?
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 02:59 PM   #61
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

VX and Sarin are more likely to have been created and stored by a government rather than a non-governmental entity or agency.
Old 7th March 2018, 03:06 PM   #62
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Dude, "Russia" is a country. Countries don't run around poisoning people. People do. You can see what's "implied" in the picture. Do you actually think that this isn't what happened?

Pointing out the obvious - it is common usage to refer to a government of a country as the country when discussing foreign relations. Japan attacked America at Pearl Harbour. You have used countries names like that before.

However if you want to be pedantic - the Russian state was responsible and it's unthinkable that it took place without the authorisation of Putin.
Old 7th March 2018, 03:09 PM   #63
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

However if you want to be pedantic - the Russian state was responsible and it's unthinkable that it took place without the authorisation of Putin.
...given that the Russian state is a dictatorship.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 03:12 PM   #64
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Yeah, that's what the picture "implies". Of course we all know that you have not a shred of evidence for your belief, which is so strong that it simply must be true. Everything else is literally "unthinkable".
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 03:14 PM   #65
Arcade22
Illuminator

Looks like old Soros is up to his usual dirty tricks!
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 07:26 PM   #66
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Sarin gas, like the Japanese terrorists used?

In a mall, with other people around?

Assassination, or terrorism?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 07:40 PM   #67
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by casebro View Post

The target suggests assassination.
Old 7th March 2018, 10:29 PM   #68
Venom
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by casebro View Post

Assassination.

But consider
When FSB agents Andrei Lugovoi and Dmitri Kovtun brought their WMD to London, though it was for the assassination of one man, it apparently heavily contaminated much of the hotel silverware and the room they stayed at to unheard of levels.

That's a crime in and of itself.

The Sarin attack by Aum Shinrikyo was truly terrorism, or at least intentional psychotic mass murder.

Last edited by Venom; 7th March 2018 at 10:30 PM.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 10:58 PM   #69
Ambrosia
Good of the Fods

It's not everyday that the place you live in ends up as front page news!

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
And the first police officer on the scene is also seriously ill.
She's a close friend of my best mate. Apparently he threw up over her shortly after she arrived on scene. As far as I know she's serious but stable and is likely to be OK.
Ambrosia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 11:02 PM   #70
Ambrosia
Good of the Fods

They say it's either VX or Sarin. The police know which one.
No. They've ruled out both VX and Sarin. They say they know what it was and it's very rare.

Probably quite handy having Porton Down DSTL literally 5 mins up the road.
Ambrosia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 04:18 AM   #71
Henri McPhee
Illuminator

I don't deny that it is possible, but as others have said it is strange timing just months before Putin wants to be clear of legal tangles with regard to the football World Cup in Russia. An explanation 'could be' that Turkey or Ukraine were behind it, with red flag plausible deniability, in order to discredit Russia for their military success in Syria against the Syrian opposition. As usual, like Russiagate and chemical warfare in Syria and Iraq, there are a lot of opinions, and little evidence or facts.

Last edited by Henri McPhee; 8th March 2018 at 04:20 AM.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 04:20 AM   #72
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post
... Probably quite handy having Porton Down DSTL literally 5 mins up the road.
Likely to raise conspiracy theorists' eyebrows too: Poisoned by a nerve agent just 5 minutes drive from the UK's centre for nerve agent research.

I hope they all pull through.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 04:24 AM   #73
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

She's a close friend of my best mate. Apparently he threw up over her shortly after she arrived on scene. As far as I know she's serious but stable and is likely to be OK.
That's good news. Also interesting as I think all the news reports I heard did not specify the sex of the police officer.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 04:29 AM   #74
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

It's not everyday that the place you live in ends up as front page news!

I had difficulty parsing the "he"s and "she"s in that sentence because I'd just assumed the affected police officer was male as no report I've heard so far indicated otherwise. I'm glad to hear the "likely to be ok" part.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 04:41 AM   #75
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
I had difficulty parsing the "he"s and "she"s in that sentence because I'd just assumed the affected police officer was male as no report I've heard so far indicated otherwise. I'm glad to hear the "likely to be ok" part.
From the BBC site a little while ago: "A police officer taken ill alongside an ex-Russian spy and his daughter is now awake and talking." and "...snip.... A police officer, who was in intensive care, is now "stable and conscious", Wiltshire's chief constable said..... snip..."
Old 8th March 2018, 06:16 AM   #76
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Polonium shortage?
Probably found to be too traceable.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 06:35 AM   #77
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

I had difficulty parsing the "he"s and "she"s in that sentence because I'd just assumed the affected police officer was male
Sexist!
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 07:28 AM   #78
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Sexist!
Just so. And on International Women's Day too. <hangs head in shame> To save you Googling it too, female officers comprise 28.2% of the force in England and Wales.
Old 8th March 2018, 07:33 AM   #79
Ambrosia
Good of the Fods

Likely to raise conspiracy theorists' eyebrows too: Poisoned by a nerve agent just 5 minutes drive from the UK's centre for nerve agent research.
It's not terribly difficult to raise the eyebrows on a conspiracy theorist. Much harder to raise their level of education.

There's basically no chance this was a UK plot. Whatever nerve agent was used it wasn't something that was eaten/drank. It was inhaled or injected. The plan was for ex-spy to be given the poison and for him to stay at home and then by the time he got to medical help it would be far too late. He went out to a local pub and then a restaurant (which is why they are both closed) and collapsed on a bench nearby where the emergency services were called and probably got treatment in time.

Apparently the ambulance used to take him to hospital wasn't sufficiently decontaminated afterwards and was used for other patients, which also now have symptoms, albeit very mild, of the same kind of poisoning, which is why an area of Amesbury (town 10 miles ish away) is also cordoned off.

That is what the gossip on the street is at any rate. How accurate that all is I couldn't say.
Old 8th March 2018, 07:36 AM   #80
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Yes I have a point. When the American media says that the police "believe" something, it definitely doesn't mean that it is confirmed.
On the other hand, when British media say that, it's usually because that's what the police have told them.

Two countries separated by a common language....

Last edited by Information Analyst; 8th March 2018 at 08:09 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events