ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 22nd March 2018, 09:15 AM   #41
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Those tier one lawyers spent a lot of time building up their reputation. If I were them, I wouldn't want to sully that by associating with the president of the United States, either.
They also expect their clients to listen to them and pay them. Two things that Donald has a history of ignoring.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 09:31 AM   #42
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
The Trump Presidency VI
I prefer The Trump Presidency Emacs.

Actually I'm still disappointed that The Trump Presidency IV thread wasn't subtitled "drip, drip, drip."
Or "Into the Unknowing".

We could run a poll, but "Planet X" would be a shoo-in.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 09:42 AM   #43
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Trump's the type of guy who would deny to eating a sandwich as he's eating it and you're right there in front of him.
I once worked with a bright, hardworking sociopathic kid that would to exactly that, without any sense of humor or irony.

The Trump Presidency VI

Actually I'm still disappointed that The Trump Presidency IV thread wasn't subtitled "drip, drip, drip."
We nee a subtitle for this one! How about "The One Where Everybody Lies"?
Or was that done already...?
Old 22nd March 2018, 09:43 AM   #44
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
On March 11 Trump tweeted:
"The Failing New York Times purposely wrote a false story stating that I am unhappy with my legal team on the Russia case and am going to add another lawyer to help out. Wrong. I am VERY happy with my lawyers, John Dowd, Ty Cobb and Jay Sekulow. They are doing a great job and....."

Today's news: "John Dowd Resigns as Trump’s Lead Lawyer in Special Counsel Inquiry"

And three days ago: "President Trump hired the longtime Washington lawyer Joseph E. diGenova on Monday, adding an aggressive voice to his legal team who has pushed the theory on television that the F.B.I. and Justice Department framed Mr. Trump." (link)
Yet another indicator that Trump is pissing his pants as the noose tightens.

I half-heartedly predict that Sessions will be fired during Senste Easter recess, and Trump will appoint a stooge who will fire Mueller. This may even be a wise move from Trump's perspective, if his culpability is anywhere near what some of us suspect.
Old 22nd March 2018, 09:50 AM   #45
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by DetectedMotion View Post
When the Commander-in-Chief acts like a big mouth schoolyard kid, the possibility of any respect left in the government goes away with this behavior.

Having said that, I do think Biden would take Trump in round 2.
Biden is a 75-year-old who works out and jogs regularly and promotes fitness. Trump is a 71-year-old overweight fast-food addict who never exercises and doesn't even like to walk very far. Trump would never have the endurance to make it to round 2; if he didn't take out Joe with his first punch, it would be all over.

Yeah, I'd pay to watch that.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 09:50 AM   #46
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

The Trump Presidency VI

I’m disappointed it wasn’t titled

The Trump Presidency VI Trump Harder

Only because of the connection between trump and fart. I’m British by the way.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 09:56 AM   #47
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
Only because of the connection between trump and fart. I’m British by the way.
Yes, I find it very sad that there are literally millions of Americans who don't know that "trump" is a euphemism for "fart" over here.

Every time I see someone refer to him as "Drumpf", I weep a little inside.
Old 22nd March 2018, 09:58 AM   #48
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
(I would note that, for some, a lowering of the USA's reputation abroad seems to be a 'win'. In which case, he is definitely the winingest president ever)
Whiningest, as well.
Old 22nd March 2018, 10:07 AM   #49
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
diGenova's pre-emptive "it's a frame-up" tends to support that.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 10:10 AM   #50
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

It's in the russia thread, but can go here as well:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/u...?smid=pl-share

WASHINGTON — The president’s lead lawyer for the special counsel investigation, John Dowd, resigned on Thursday, according to two people briefed on the matter, days after the president called for an end to the inquiry.

Mr. Dowd, who took over the president’s legal team last summer, had considered leaving several times in recent months and ultimately concluded that Mr. Trump was increasingly ignoring his advice, one of the people said. Under Mr. Dowd’s leadership, Mr. Trump’s lawyers had advised him to cooperate with the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, who is investigating Russia’s election interference and possible ties to Trump associates as well as whether the president obstructed the inquiry.

Also:

https://twitter.com/kpolantz/status/976862749023264769
UPDATE: 4 defense attorneys at different large law firms have been approached to join Trump's legal defense team in recent weeks. All 4 turned him down.

But, he did get Deep State Conspiracy Theorist Joe Digenova
Old 22nd March 2018, 10:52 AM   #51
Octavo
Illuminator

All these nothingburgers are starting to give me indigestion.
Old 22nd March 2018, 10:58 AM   #52
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

Dolt45 is innocent as lamb and pure as the driven snow, so why don’t these people want to represent him?

Can any trumper explain this to me?
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 11:01 AM   #53
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Dolt45 is innocent as lamb and pure as the driven snow, so why don’t these people want to represent him?

Lawyers come in, Layers go out.

You can't explain that.
Old 22nd March 2018, 11:02 AM   #54
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
Must be all that Russian dressing.
Old 22nd March 2018, 11:05 AM   #55
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
logger's back, you know.
Old 22nd March 2018, 11:06 AM   #56
C_Felix
Master Poster

The computer wants me to type something.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (18.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 22nd March 2018, 11:07 AM   #57
dudalb
Suspended

If I condemn Trump's childish, immature behavior, I have to condemn Biden's.
Biden is a vastly better human being then Trump but still, this is childish behavior and unbecoming to a man who one held the second highest office in the land.

Last edited by dudalb; 22nd March 2018 at 11:09 AM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 11:12 AM   #58
dudalb
Suspended

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Perhaps the most depressing part of the Trumpsters administration. A degradation of the office, and of American governance in general.
I agree but add the danger that that the opposition will decide "That is what works" and adapts the same methods.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 11:22 AM   #59
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like some republicans in congress might actually have a little bit of backbone after all.

They are working on a funding bill to keep the government functional through September. And it has all sorts of things Trump does not want, and doesn't have things trump DOES want:

- Trump wanted money to build the border wall; there is a little money for fencing, but it has a specific provision that they cannot use any of Trump's new designs

- Far Less money for other immigration enforcement issues, with the possibility that they government may have to start RELEASING some of the people currently in custody

- Funding for the EPA at current levels (despite Trump wanting to slash its budget)

- More money for renewable energy research (despite Trump wanting to eliminate certain programs)

Ok, maybe not a perfect world, but given the general bootlicking we've seen from people like Nunes its a nice change of pace.

Now, I guess we can speculate why congress and the republicans might pass a spending bill that Trump doesn't like. Some possibilities:

- They actually believe that the spending proposals make sense

- They are tired of Trump's incompetence and double-dealing, and are using it as a way to reassert some control or dominance

- They realize that they need at least some Democratic support so these are things that they can toss the democrat's way

- They recognize that Trump is an anchor that will drag the party down and need to distance themselves from him before the election

https://www.vox.com/2018/3/22/171514...ion-wall-trump
https://www.vox.com/energy-and-envir...ironment-trump

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 11:27 AM   #60
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
The computer wants me to type something.
I absolutely love that picture.
Old 22nd March 2018, 11:56 AM   #61
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
- Trump wanted money to build the border wall; there is a little money for fencing, but it has a specific provision that they cannot use any of Trump's new designs
Yes, he wanted $25b for a wall for the entire border, and got $1.6b for fencing for a small part of the border, and he's trumpeting it as a personal victory, rather than as being given a sop to keep him quiet.
Old 22nd March 2018, 12:09 PM   #62
dudalb
Suspended

I half-heartedly predict that Sessions will be fired during Senste Easter recess, and Trump will appoint a stooge who will fire Mueller. This may even be a wise move from Trump's perspective, if his culpability is anywhere near what some of us suspect.
And,of course, this would throw the country into a constitutional crisis.
Old 22nd March 2018, 12:20 PM   #63
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And,of course, this would throw the country into a constitutional crisis.
No doubt. I don't see that necessarily impeding Trump though, when he weighs the alternatives through his perpetually self-serving filter.
Old 22nd March 2018, 12:27 PM   #64
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Looks like some republicans in congress might actually have a little bit of backbone after all.

They are working on a funding bill to keep the government functional through September. And it has all sorts of things Trump does not want, and doesn't have things trump DOES want:
I think Trump has set a new presidential record: a lame duck presidency one year in.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 01:01 PM   #65
dudalb
Suspended

No doubt. I don't see that necessarily impeding Trump though, when he weighs the alternatives through his perpetually self-serving filter.
But it will impact the November elections big time, which is why we are getting the reports behind the scenes GOP leaders pleading with Trump not to fire Mueller.
Old 22nd March 2018, 01:05 PM   #66
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Yes I expect Cadet Bone Spurs would pee his pants if Joe Biden actually came up to him with a raised fist.
I'm picturing Cartman of SouthPark geting beat up by Wendy.
Old 22nd March 2018, 01:08 PM   #67
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Is Robert Bork available?
Old 22nd March 2018, 01:12 PM   #68
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I'm picturing Cartman of SouthPark geting beat up by Wendy.
An image search led me to the below, which includes your “picturing”!

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/...ric-cartman/4/
Old 22nd March 2018, 01:13 PM   #69
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post

You can't explain that.
I nomed this for pith but your typo might cost you the win.
Old 22nd March 2018, 01:16 PM   #70
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Yes, he wanted $25b for a wall for the entire border, and got $1.6b for fencing for a small part of the border, and he's trumpeting it as a personal victory, rather than as being given a sop to keep him quiet.
That's the norm for Trump, pretend a loss is a victory and hope people forget about it when he declares a victory no other POTUS was able to do.
Old 22nd March 2018, 01:24 PM   #71
Distracted1
Master Poster

I agree but add the danger that that the opposition will decide "That is what works" and adapts the same methods.
That is what is so depressing about it.

Although, I do recall someone writing an opinion years ago (I do not remember who or where) which was being critical of the Democratic strategy. I thought it a good observation at the time; it went something like: " the Democrats keep thinking this is Jeopardy while the Republicans have figured out that it's American Idol.
Old 22nd March 2018, 01:30 PM   #72
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
An image search led me to the below, which includes your “picturing”!

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/...ric-cartman/4/

Amazing isn't it, like a past Trump Tweet for every occasion, there's an Eric Cartman scene for everything Trump.
Old 22nd March 2018, 01:32 PM   #73
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

There are more ways to do, "that is what works". Not all of them are sleazy.
Old 22nd March 2018, 01:33 PM   #74
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post

You can't explain that.
Totally would have worked but for the misspelling.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 01:34 PM   #75
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Biden is a vastly better human being then Trump but still, this is childish behavior and unbecoming to a man who one held the second highest office in the land.
Agreed.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 01:38 PM   #76
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Right! Let us hope they don't play the same games.

We want to make informed decisions. We don't want to decide between one lie or the other.

I want a decent conservative alternative.
Old 22nd March 2018, 01:43 PM   #77
dudalb
Suspended

And Trump probably started a full scale Trade War With China today,and the stock market is in free fall.
He might well wreck the best thing the GOP has going for it...a good economy.
Old 22nd March 2018, 01:45 PM   #78
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

Amazing isn't it, like a past Trump Tweet for every occasion, there's an Eric Cartman scene for everything Trump.
Cartman makes a perfect Trump. I'd love to see a South Park Trump edition movie with Cartman starring as Trump. They could bring back the Blame it on Canada song among other bits. Kenny could play Jeff Sessions.

Last edited by acbytesla; 22nd March 2018 at 02:38 PM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 02:24 PM   #79
Stacyhs
Philosopher

You have a point and I agree that Biden should not have succumbed to such silly macho nonsense. However, the difference is that Biden is now a private citizen representing only himself whereas Trump is (sadly) the POTUS representing the country. In addition, Biden prefaced it by saying "if we were in high school" indicating that is something teenagers would do, not adults. Trump's reply tweet, on the other hand, is boasting of what he (thinks he) would and could do now. Obama would never have diminished the office of POTUS by replying in the first place. Obama has too much class which is something all Trump's money cannot buy him.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 02:37 PM   #80
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You have a point and I agree that Biden should not have succumbed to such silly macho nonsense. However, the difference is that Biden is now a private citizen representing only himself whereas Trump is (sadly) the POTUS representing the country. In addition, Biden prefaced it by saying "if we were in high school" indicating that is something teenagers would do, not adults. Trump's reply tweet, on the other hand, is boasting of what he (thinks he) would and could do now. Obama would never have diminished the office of POTUS by replying in the first place. Obama has too much class which is something all Trump's money cannot buy him.
I don't have problem with Biden saying it. Trump should have been beaten to a pulp many of times in his life given how offensive he is. If ever there was a guy who needs a lesson taught to him, it would be Trump.

Trump's genius if that isn't an oxymoron is how outrageous he speaks about others. I'm convinced that you're going to have to get muddy if you're going to take him down. Im frankly shocked that a Democrat doesn't call him a scumbag and a sleaze constantly on National TV. Because that is what he is.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics