ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 22nd March 2018, 06:54 PM   #121
Lambchops
Thinker

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
There's a job for you in the White House.
Would definitely pay better than my current job.

On the other hand, I like being able to sleep at night.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 06:56 PM   #122
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
It sounds worse than cruel.

But it highlights the overall debasement of common human decency this President can provoke.

I would just encourage everyone to do their best to rise above such sentiments.
lol

It doesn’t take very much to provoke the left. What you’re seeing, for the first time, is a republican president who meets them on their level.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:05 PM   #123
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by logger View Post
that’s a given, they’re patriots. Most on the right support the military and the president who gives the orders.

So the US is always right when it goes to war?
Ever hear of Vietnam or Iraq 2003?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:07 PM   #124
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Perhaps the most depressing part of the Trumpsters administration. A degradation of the office, and of American governance in general.
True, that.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:07 PM   #125
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
It is very cruel.

The kids didn't necessarily support Dolt 45, after all. I mean, I'm fine with hoping that the people who actually voted for him suffer the worst, since they're immune to logic and empathy, my view is that maybe outright pain from their own decisions will get most of them to learn. But if their kids voted for someone else...let them be.

And on the plus side, Dolt 45 is going to do whatever he wants regardless, so I doubt this is anything but him getting more yes men to tell him how great he is.
I was letting off some steam. That the people who voted for him should be the first to suffer for their stupidity is what I was driving off.
Unless, of course, they see what a terrible mistake they made.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:07 PM   #126
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
So the US is always right when it goes to war?
Ever hear of Vietnam or Iraq 2003?
Did I mention right or wrong?

No, It doesn’t look like I did.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:10 PM   #127
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And you should have.
I consider my self somebody who loves my conntry, but thinks that "My Country Right of Wrong" is one of the stupidest things ever said. That is the kind of mentality people in Germany in the 1930's had.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:15 PM   #128
Lambchops
Thinker

lol

It doesn’t take very much to provoke the left. What you’re seeing, for the first time, is a republican president who meets them on their level.
At this point, it's pretty obvious that you guys on the right are the real snowflakes.

But hey, you just keep trying to convince yourself otherwise.

Last edited by Lambchops; 22nd March 2018 at 07:18 PM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:15 PM   #129
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Perhaps the most depressing part of the Trumpsters administration. A degradation of the office, and of American governance in general.
Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
True, that.

I may hate the tax cuts for the wealthy and other policy decisions, but it is Tump-turd's attacks and the erosion on the necessary checks and balances that is really disturbing.
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:17 PM   #130
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I consider my self somebody who loves my conntry, but thinks that "My Country Right of Wrong" is one of the stupidest things ever said.
Yes, if left at that.

The quote I learned was, “My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.”

Which gives it a whole ‘nother slant.
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:20 PM   #131
SezMe
post-pre-born

H.R. McMaster is out as National Security Advisor.

John (Let's have a war that will pay for itself) Bolton will take his place.
Added some emphasis. Bolton is more dangerous than his other worthless advisors because if he has Trump's ear, war with Iran is on the front burner.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:20 PM   #132
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post

I may hate the tax cuts for the wealthy and other policy decisions, but it is Tump-turd's attacks and the erosion on the necessary checks and balances that is really disturbing.
The left is not used to a republican who fights back, one that fights on their level. I’m thoroughly enjoying his dismantling of leftist institutions. It will be interesting to see what he gets done before the left and establishment are able to remove him.
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:22 PM   #133
logger
Banned

Added some emphasis. Bolton is more dangerous than his other worthless advisors because if he has Trump's ear, war with Iran is on the front burner.
Yes, he is dangerous to these evil nations. Bolton is one of the best picks he’s made yet. He’ll help clean up what Oidiot screwed up.
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:27 PM   #134
SezMe
post-pre-born

But it highlights the overall debasement of common human decency this President can provoke.

I would just encourage everyone to do their best to rise above such sentiments.
No, no, that word is way too weak. How about "embodies"? Or "displays"? "exhibits"?

Take your pick but with Trump, the rot really does start at the head. "provoke" implies (to me, at least) that others go too far but he doesn't, which is manifestly untrue.

Last edited by SezMe; 22nd March 2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:32 PM   #135
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

The left is not used to a republican who fights back, one that fights on their level. I’m thoroughly enjoying his dismantling of leftist institutions. It will be interesting to see what he gets done before the left and establishment are able to remove him.
Leftist institutions like the FBI, the CIA, the State Department, the Courts and democracy? Be careful what you wish for logger. You might not like the result.

Last edited by acbytesla; 22nd March 2018 at 07:34 PM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:33 PM   #136
SezMe
post-pre-born

Yes, he is dangerous to these evil nations. Bolton is one of the best picks he’s made yet. He’ll help clean up what Oidiot screwed up.
Do you approve of war with Iran? Do you agree we should drop a nuke on North Korea? Those are Bolton's dreams and reasonable people's nightmares.
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:35 PM   #137
logger
Banned

Leftist institutions like the FBI, the CIA, the State Department, the Courts and democracy? Be careful what you wish for logger. You might not like the result.

The FBI, CIA and state are not being dismantled. What’s being dismantled is leftist control at the top.
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:38 PM   #138
logger
Banned

Do you approve of war with Iran? Do you agree we should drop a nuke on North Korea? Those are Bolton's dreams and reasonable people's nightmares.
Yes, Iran needs to be dealt with. War is all they’ll understand.

Did Bolton say we should just drop a nuke on NK?
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:41 PM   #139
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

The FBI, CIA and state are not being dismantled. What’s being dismantled is leftist control at the top.
You're wrong.
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:50 PM   #140
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

You're wrong.
I don't know if it is a right or wrong. What is the "top" and what is "dismantling" seems entirely in the eye of the beholder.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 08:07 PM   #141
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I don't know if it is a right or wrong. What is the "top" and what is "dismantling" seems entirely in the eye of the beholder.
Objective facts are not subjective. Eye of the beholder has nothing to do with reality.
Old 22nd March 2018, 08:13 PM   #142
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Objective facts are not subjective. Eye of the beholder has nothing to do with reality.
There is not an objective fact that delineates the top of an agency from it's body. There isn't an objective fact that defines the essential pieces of an agency such that dismantling the piece constitutes the top or the agency as a whole.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 08:15 PM   #143
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

CSPAN video: Senator Obama questioning John Bolton about his irrational beliefs. Obama is masterful pinning down a CTer. So diplomatic.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c46307...ns-john-bolton

There's a transcript for those of you who lack the time to watch it. It's just Obama-Bolton exchange. The rest of the hearing is available at the same link.
Quote:
OBAMA: ... What it has to do with, whether this is an example exactly of what you said the Silberman-Robb report warns against, which is that you had a particular perspective, you had an intelligence analyst who was concerned that your perspective was not quite right, and that in that context, you were interested in shading or shaping the analysis to fit your reasonable hypotheses.

That's, I think, the reason that we're concerned, applying your test; that we don't want our intelligence to be not corroborated by hard facts. ...

... I guess I would just ask you if -- if the record indicates that you were seeking to reject hard facts because they didn't neatly fit into a speech that you are making on behalf of the United States government, is it fair to say that that would be something that this panel should be concerned about and that that might undermine your capacity to be a credible advocate for the United States in the United Nations?
Quote:
MR. BOLTON
I think failure to pay attention to reality and facts, however unpleasant they are, is an extremely undesirable characteristic. In this case, I don't remember what the alternative formulation was. It was not anything having to do with the substance of whatever it was; it was the fact I didn't think I had been dealt with squarely.

SEN. OBAMA
Fair enough. I just want to pinpoint, though -- it may be that there is a dispute on the facts, but what I want to do is establish a common principle, which is that we want our intelligence analysts to give us information that's based on their best assessment of the facts, even if it doesn't fit our hypotheses. Is that a fair principle?

[Snipped Bolton absolutely agreeing]

OBAMA: I think one of the things we will want to pursue, then, after the break is whether that is, in fact, what happened here. My understanding is you don't feel that's what happened here. I think some of the panel, based on the interviews we've seen, feel that it is what happened. But I just want to establish the principle that it would be troubling if we are discouraging analysts from giving us the best possible information.
Bolton wants to take out Iran before they get nukes.
Old 22nd March 2018, 08:17 PM   #144
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

You're wrong.
Amazing how readily some people in this thread have already bought into the blatant lie that the FBI is in the left's pocket. It's hard to fathom.
Old 22nd March 2018, 08:26 PM   #145
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Amazing how readily some people in this thread have already bought into the blatant lie that the FBI is in the left's pocket. It's hard to fathom.
Amazing how people on the left missed the entire leadership at the top has left in disgrace.
Old 22nd March 2018, 08:33 PM   #146
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

There is not an objective fact that delineates the top of an agency from it's body. There isn't an objective fact that defines the essential pieces of an agency such that dismantling the piece constitutes the top or the agency as a whole.
The difference is the culture. Whether employees are committed to the law or their bosses. I highly recommend that you watch the movie about Mark Felt.

When the President thinks that people should be loyal to him as opposed to the nation's laws and their oath of office makes a huge difference. Comey, McCabe as well as Robert Mueller were lifelong Republicans. None of whom were willing to tell Trump that they would be lackeys is why they were fired. Politicizing these departments does significant damage to the culture and the process.

Last edited by acbytesla; 22nd March 2018 at 08:47 PM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 08:34 PM   #147
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

The difference is the culture. Whether employees are committed to the law or theur bosses. I highly recommend that you watch the movie about Mark Felt.

When the President thinks that people should be loyal to him as opposed to the nation's laws and their oath of office makes a huge difference. Comey, McCabe as well as Robert Mueller were lifelong Republicans. None of whom were willing to tell Trump that they would be lackeys is why they were fired. Politicizing these departments does significant damage to the culture and the process.
None of that is objective fact. It is expression of values.
Old 22nd March 2018, 08:34 PM   #148
Lambchops
Thinker

Amazing how people on the left missed the entire leadership at the top has left in disgrace.
"Left in disgrace" = "Fired by a scared Putin Puppet"

Lol. 'K

(I'm new here, but I've been lurking for a while, learned this from TBD)

Last edited by Lambchops; 22nd March 2018 at 08:37 PM.
Old 22nd March 2018, 08:36 PM   #149
Lambchops
Thinker

Depends on how you define "of". And/or "that".

Last edited by Lambchops; 22nd March 2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 22nd March 2018, 08:38 PM   #150
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Logger is beyond hope. He has and akways has had Right Wing blinders on and BTC just spouts this clueless ridiculous middle nonsense which he thinks is fair. At some time you have to open your eyes and take a stand. The difference between right and wrong is not somewhere in the center.
Old 22nd March 2018, 08:43 PM   #151
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Left in disgrace? Does that mean being unwilling to bury their noses in Il Douche's rectum and saying 'mmmm sir, that is so aromatic'
Old 22nd March 2018, 08:45 PM   #152
logger
Banned

Left in disgrace? Does that mean being unwilling to bury their noses in Il Douche's rectum and saying 'mmmm sir, that is so aromatic'
You don’t know the reasons why they are no longer at the top?

Does President Trumps AG have an investigation going on? Read this

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...n/#more-147287
Old 22nd March 2018, 08:47 PM   #153
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Actually, all of it is.
Old 22nd March 2018, 08:49 PM   #154
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Ohh puhleese.
Old 22nd March 2018, 08:51 PM   #155
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

You don’t know the reasons why they are no longer at the top?

Does President Trumps AG have an investigation going on? Read this

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...n/#more-147287
The house judiciary committee has proven itself to be ridiculously and obscenely partisan. And that Sessions is willing to show his boss that he will say 'how high' when Trump says 'jump'. There is NO evidence of wrongdoing only crazy conservatives trying to go after anyone who does their job.

Comey's not at the top because he told Trump he would do his job as opposed to being Trump's lackey.

Last edited by acbytesla; 22nd March 2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 22nd March 2018, 08:52 PM   #156
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
"Left in disgrace" = "Fired by a scared Putin Puppet"

Lol. 'K

(I'm new here, but I've been lurking for a while, learned this from TBD)

Welcome to the forum.
Old 22nd March 2018, 08:53 PM   #157
logger
Banned

The house judiciary committee has proven itself to be ridiculously and obscenely partisan.
Let me ask again, does Trumps AG have an active prosecutor investingating what the inspector general has uncovered? Did you read the link?
Old 22nd March 2018, 09:00 PM   #158
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Are you talking about the Trump Administration?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2018, 09:10 PM   #159
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Let me ask again, does Trumps AG have an active prosecutor investingating what the inspector general has uncovered? Did you read the link?
So what? You do know that Sessions was rightfully investigated after he lied to Congress right? You also know they didn't pursue charges. That's the way it is supposed to work. Doesnt mean there is something there there. Trump didn't fire Comey because of wrongdoing by Comey. No, he fired him because of the Russian investigation. He admitted this. Finding potential wrongdoing post hoc because you went looking for it doesn't mean the firings were justified. Does it?

Last edited by acbytesla; 22nd March 2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old 22nd March 2018, 09:18 PM   #160
logger
Banned

So what? You do know that Sessions was rightfully investigated after he lied to Congress right? You also know they didn't pursue charges. That's the way it is supposed to work. Doesnt mean there is something there there. Trump didn't fire Comey because of wrongdoing by Comey. No, he fired him because of the Russian investigation. He admitted this. Finding potential wrongdoing post hoc because you went looking for it doesn't mean the firings were justified. Does it?
So what? You accuse me of having right wing blinders on?

We’ve got no evidence of Russian collusion. We’ve got just about the entire top at the FBI fired, quit or reassigned. There is a year long investigation by the Inspector General that apparently is responsible for that top leadership being removed. We’ve got calls for a 2nd special Counsel that is being ignored by the AG because he already has an outside prosecutor looking at what the Inspector General has uncovered.

Is there a grand jury empaneled?
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics