ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 23rd March 2018, 12:14 PM   #281
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Youíve changed what I posted so many times, itís not surprising youíre so confused about it. You should have just gone back and read the original post.
Perhaps you should, and then have a little think.
Old 23rd March 2018, 12:22 PM   #282
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Everyone remember Susan Collins? She was the Republican Senator that became a hero (temporarily) for voting against the Republican health care plan.

Then, she voted for the republican tax bill, despite the fact that it attacked some of the provisions of Obamacare, after the republicans promised her that they would "soon" bring in a bill to help stabilize insurance rates. Many people called her foolish and naÔve for trusting the republican leadership.

Well, who's laughing now? Well, nobody really. Maybe the Republican leadership. Turns out she is unhappy because health care was left out of the recent Omnibus spending bill. Why was it left out? Because the republicans wanted to include anti-abortion provisions with the spending that the democrats wouldn't support. Basically they used a "poison pill".

Collins is of course blaming the democrats. Democrats are blaming the republicans. And Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell are busy engaged in mutual oral sex in celebration over the fact that they managed to sabotage health care. So congrats Senator Collins!

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/03/...be-collapsing/

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 23rd March 2018 at 12:26 PM.
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 12:24 PM   #283
kellyb
Philosopher

Quote:
We despise the President because he we feel he will send out military into combat when there are better alternatives available.
Weakness isnít a better alternative.
Any alternative to war is weakness?
Old 23rd March 2018, 12:29 PM   #284
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Everyone remember Susan Collins? She was the Republican Senator that became a hero (temporarily) for voting against the Republican health care plan.

Then, she voted for the republican tax bill, despite the fact that it attacked some of the provisions of Obamacare, after the republicans promised her that they would "soon" bring in a bill to help stabilize insurance rates. Many people called her foolish and naÔve for trusting the republican leadership.

Well, who's laughing now? Well, nobody really. Maybe the Republican leadership. Turns out she is unhappy because health care was left out of the recent Omnibus spending bill. Why was it left out? Because the republicans wanted to include anti-abortion provisions with the spending that the democrats wouldn't support. Basically they used a "poison pill".

Collins is of course blaming the democrats. Democrats are blaming the republicans. And Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell are busy engaged in mutual oral sex in celebration over the fact that they managed to sabotage health care. So congrats Senator Collins!

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/03/...be-collapsing/

I like how the bill believe it or not, totally screws Minor League Baseball players.
Old 23rd March 2018, 12:33 PM   #285
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
If there's anyone who shares the blame with Dick Cheney for this country's most stupid and most disastrous foreign policy blunder, with no end yet in sight to the misery it caused, it's John Bolton. John Bolton's responsibility as NSA was to present the best intelligence and analysis we could get to the president so he could make informed decisions.
I'm pretty sure Bolton was never NSA under Bush, and you're forgetting Don Rumsfeld. He's still a very dangerous idiot.

ETA: Condoleeza Rice was Bush's NSA for his whole first term.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 23rd March 2018 at 12:36 PM.
Trebuchet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 12:42 PM   #286
dudalb
Suspended

Weakness isn’t a better alternative.
You are just like Dear Leader : obssesed with sounding Tough regardless of consquences. A lot of Trumpy's Tough Talk appals the actual leaders of the US Military.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 12:53 PM   #287
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The Dems approach is be nice to them and theyíll be nice to us. Look what thatís gotten us?
Trump seems to think it's a good idea. At least as far as Vladimir Putin is concerned.
Old 23rd March 2018, 01:00 PM   #288
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

DiGenova's conflicts of interest may prevent him from representing Trump after all
Old 23rd March 2018, 01:00 PM   #289
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
You are just like Dear Leader : obssesed with sounding Tough regardless of consquences. A lot of Trumpy's Tough Talk appals the actual leaders of the US Military.
Not just the leaders. Members and former members as well.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 01:02 PM   #290
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Not just the leaders. Members and former members as well.
Exactly they are looking forward to the long term occupation of Iran and North Korea.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 01:04 PM   #291
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Exactly they are looking forward to the long term occupation of Iran and North Korea.
I think you missed a word there.

I was agreeing that many of us (military and former military) are also appalled.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 01:09 PM   #292
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
I think you missed a word there.

I was agreeing that many of us (military and former military) are also appalled.
Maybe, but a lot of them liked all this before the election, so why should they be appalled now, when he is just like he said he would be and, statistically, they still like him?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 01:12 PM   #293
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Maureen Dowd's op-ed Donald the Dove, Hillary the Hawk hasn't aged that well.
And the latest attack on John Brennan, ex CIA chief is currently being attacked by Trumpers. Some little known Congressman was on Fox last night claiming Brennan has falsehoods on record and can't be trusted. "A leader who says one thing before and something else now can't be trusted."

And of course the Fox anchor, (I think it was Ingram but I was half asleep) nodded in agreement.

How anyone can say that with a straight face and support Trump needs to have their head examined.
Old 23rd March 2018, 01:22 PM   #294
Cain
Straussian

People need to keep things in perspective. Russia is not most pressing immediate threat, or even a long-term threat. The real threat is the Democrat Party.
Old 23rd March 2018, 01:25 PM   #295
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
People need to keep things in perspective. Russia is not most pressing immediate threat, or even a long-term threat. The real threat is the Democrat Party.
And the Republican party. Well.....politicians in general.
Old 23rd March 2018, 01:32 PM   #296
dudalb
Suspended

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
And the latest attack on John Brennan, ex CIA chief is currently being attacked by Trumpers. Some little known Congressman was on Fox last night claiming Brennan has falsehoods on record and can't be trusted. "A leader who says one thing before and something else now can't be trusted."

And of course the Fox anchor, (I think it was Ingram but I was half asleep) nodded in agreement.

How anyone can say that with a straight face and support Trump needs to have their head examined.
Maureen Dowd's problem is she loves to be a contrarian at times;she sort of loves to upset her heavily liberal readership with crap like that.
I have come to hate contrarians. To be a contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian will lead you ,very quickly, to say or do stupid things.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 02:15 PM   #297
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post

That is usually the leftist alternative, weakness and appeasement.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 02:17 PM   #298
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Perhaps you should, and then have a little think.
Already did, which is why I pointed it out to you first.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 02:17 PM   #299
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Already did, which is why I pointed it out to you first.
Don't ever change.
Old 23rd March 2018, 02:21 PM   #300
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Getting along with Russia (and others) is a good thing, not a bad thing. Wouldn't you agree?
Old 23rd March 2018, 02:41 PM   #301
dudalb
Suspended

Getting along with Russia (and others) is a good thing, not a bad thing. Wouldn't you agree?
It all depends on what Dear Leader says ....until he says something different.
Old 23rd March 2018, 02:45 PM   #302
dudalb
Suspended

Part of a good foreign policy is knowing when to be tough and when to be conciliatory. Being all one or the other leads to disaster.Problem with Trump is he seems to seems to have a genius for being tough when he should be conciliatory,and be soft when he should be tough.
Old 23rd March 2018, 02:45 PM   #303
Cabbage
Muse

That's the usual right wing narrative. Good job, Comrade!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 02:56 PM   #304
logger
Banned

Part of a good foreign policy is knowing when to be tough and when to be conciliatory. Being all one or the other leads to disaster.Problem with Trump is he seems to seems to have a genius for being tough when he should be conciliatory,and be soft when he should be tough.
Let me put it like this. Russia and China understand mutual assured destruction, plus they realize NOW how much they need us. Iran doesnít understand MAD and thinks that God will help them defeat us. The president is dealing with these countries perfectly.
Old 23rd March 2018, 02:59 PM   #305
dudalb
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
That's the usual right wing narrative. Good job, Comrade!
I love it either weakness and appeasement or war, no in between.
I am no pacifists, as my sig line shows,but think military force should be used only if an attack has actually been made, or the threat is very grave and every other method has been exhausted.
I despise the Iranian regime, and were to vanish tomorrow from the face of the earth I would do a Snoopy Happy Dance,but I think at attempt to have "regime change" through military force,..which Bolton has several times advocated...would end disasterous. Only time I would approve that is under extreme circumstances...like Iran launching a full scale military invasion in the Mideast. or they sponsor serious terrorist attacks on the United States.
As for a strike to remove their Nuclear capability, most military experts rule it almost impossible to do;their facilties are too dispersed and too well defended.
let's get real, if it were possible Israel would have done is a long time ago.
Old 23rd March 2018, 03:14 PM   #306
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Trump was not eligible.

John Bolton served.
Trump bribed a doctor to get him an exemption.

Where did bolton serve?

Signing up to the National Guard is hardly serving.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 03:14 PM   #307
Belz...
Fiend God

How about you answer the question?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 03:20 PM   #308
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
AAaaannnnd... looks like he signed it.

You can't trust anything coming out of his tiny fingers or mouth.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 03:23 PM   #309
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Let me put it like this. Russia and China understand mutual assured destruction, plus they realize NOW how much they need us. Iran doesnít understand MAD and thinks that God will help them defeat us. The president is dealing with these countries perfectly.
If you think Russia should be dealt with in a conciliatory manner, then why did you earlier in the thread say that Putin was a "bad actor" that only the weak left would prop up and that Trump was doing the opposite by imposing sanctions? If you don't think that they should be dealt with in a conciliatory manner, then does that mean that you don't agree that getting along with Russia is a good thing, not a bad thing?
Old 23rd March 2018, 03:29 PM   #310
dudalb
Suspended

If you think Russia should be dealt with in a conciliatory manner, then why did you earlier in the thread say that Putin was a "bad actor" that only the weak left would prop up and that Trump was doing the opposite by imposing sanctions? If you don't think that they should be dealt with in a conciliatory manner, then does that mean that you don't agree that getting along with Russia is a good thing, not a bad thing?
When they mess around in out elections, then the time for being colciliatory with them is over. Don't go to war with them, but slap some sanctions that will really hurt Putin on until they give proof they are chaging their ways.
Old 23rd March 2018, 03:30 PM   #311
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Don't ever change.
Like there's a chance of that.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 03:32 PM   #312
Mumbles
Philosopher

I love it either weakness and appeasement or war, no in between.
I am no pacifists, as my sig line shows,but think military force should be used only if an attack has actually been made, or the threat is very grave and every other method has been exhausted.
I despise the Iranian regime, and were to vanish tomorrow from the face of the earth I would do a Snoopy Happy Dance,but I think at attempt to have "regime change" through military force,..which Bolton has several times advocated...would end disasterous. Only time I would approve that is under extreme circumstances...like Iran launching a full scale military invasion in the Mideast. or they sponsor serious terrorist attacks on the United States.
As for a strike to remove their Nuclear capability, most military experts rule it almost impossible to do;their facilties are too dispersed and too well defended.
let's get real, if it were possible Israel would have done is a long time ago.
There's also the simple violation of an international agreement on nuclear proliferation. The Kim family is clearly reacting to what happened in Libya, and even that was really a civil war where we only intervened when Quadaffi started threatening massive civilian casualties. Iran's also quite a mess, partly because of the religious nuts in power, but also in part because the promised prosperity that would come with the nuclear agreement is unseen.

This requires exactly the sort of finesse that damn near everybody knows Bolton is aggressively against. Even when he was the UN Ambassador - placed by recess appointment because even the GOP at the time refused to appoint him in the senate - he was universally regarded as a bellicose idiot who Connie Rice constantly had to apologize for, and who held no sway at all. He's a good representative for Fox News chest-thumping cowardice, though.

But you probably knew all that.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 03:33 PM   #313
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
Gott mit uns!
Ewige Blumenkraft!

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 03:37 PM   #314
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

Where did bolton serve?

Is there any evidence of a bribe?

As to second part, I was just waiting for someone to make that type of comment so I can quote it in my signature.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 03:59 PM   #315
logger
Banned

If you donít understand Putin being a bad actor and how to interact with him as a major super power, I canít help you. Itís the same with China and Xi, another bad actor. Do you even understand the difference between Russia and Iran?
Old 23rd March 2018, 04:00 PM   #316
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
How about you answer the question?
That was the answer.
Old 23rd March 2018, 04:07 PM   #317
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Where did bolton serve?

My 6 years in the 29th Light Infantry VaARNG is hardly serving ?

Old 23rd March 2018, 04:09 PM   #318
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
My 6 years in the 29th Light Infantry VaARNG is hardly serving ?

Just the kentuckyans.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2018, 04:14 PM   #319
logger
Banned

Wow!
Old 23rd March 2018, 04:18 PM   #320
Belz...
Fiend God

That was the answer.
That's like saying that "potato" is the answer to "how are you doing?"

Your post has nothing to do with the question. It's an answer to a completely different question. If you believe that your post answers the question as phrased, you need to seriously rethink how you see the world, because not every question has an answer that relates to your view of the political world.

Here it is again:

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post

Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics