ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida incidents , school incidents , school shootings , shooting incidents

Old 13th April 2018, 04:00 AM   #121
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Gravity hopper
Would still require a mechanism to push the bolt/slide home. Otherwise a gravity hopper would be fine if the shooter worked the action manually. Whether the cartridges come from the top or the bottom is irrelevant.

electronic tiny slide
An electro-mechanical device is still a mechanism, therefore, would be illegal

Just got around your law
No, you didn't

try again.
Right back at ya!
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 04:12 AM   #122
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
The circumstances between those countries is completely different, so copy and paste would not work.

...snip...
You've got hold of the wrong end of the stick. What was being discussed was definitions in legislation not how such legislation would be put into place or how it would be policed. Two very different things.
Old 13th April 2018, 04:33 AM   #123
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Gravity hopper and electronic tiny slide.

Just got around your law, try again.
This is the post to which you are responding. but with my highlighting
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Yep. First you will have to create a legal definition of what they are.

e.g. (but not definitive)

Assault Rifle:
1. Any rifle in which rounds are automatically chambered by any kind of mechanism.

2. Any rifle which will fire consecutive shots without requiring the operator to manually re-cock the rifle.

Then you make the sale and ownership of those weapons illegal, and the Government runs an amnesty with an offer to buy back any privately owned weapons. After 12 months, anyone caught in possession of an Assault Rifle has ALL their weapons confiscated, they lose their right to own firearms, and then they are prosecuted (facing possible jail time).
Notice the "not definitive"

It's a first pass example, and would obviously change during the review process.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 09:50 AM   #124
CaptainHowdy
Muse

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I can't find it now, but I was seeing earlier tonight about an ex-marine and MAGA-type who made a video of himself shooting at a cardboard cutout of David Hogg.

Yeah, that's right. Trump supporter, classy NRA guy is making a big deal about shooting the picture of a guy who survived a school shooting.
The day of the shooting, David Hogg was at home and heard about something going on at the school and thought that this canít be another mass shooting. He grabbed his camera and rode his bike three miles as fast as he could to school and hide in a closet with the other students, filming their reactions.

Heís not a survivor. The students who were shot and survived are survivors. The students who saw Cruz on campus that day but didnít get shot are witnesses. David Hogg is neither. Heís a liar and a tool for the anti-gun nutters.

Still, shooting a cardboard cutout of him is bad optics. It gives ammunition to the gun control freaks.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 10:18 AM   #125
CompusMentus
Waiting for the Worms

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
The day of the shooting, David Hogg was at home and heard about something going on at the school and thought that this canít be another mass shooting. He grabbed his camera and rode his bike three miles as fast as he could to school and hide in a closet with the other students, filming their reactions.

Heís not a survivor. The students who were shot and survived are survivors. The students who saw Cruz on campus that day but didnít get shot are witnesses. David Hogg is neither. Heís a liar and a tool for the anti-gun nutters.....

Maybe not?

Snopes' explanation...........HERE

Compus
Old 13th April 2018, 11:43 AM   #126
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by CompusMentus View Post
Maybe not?

Compus
And since some may think that Snopes is unreliable, here is the redstate story on this, with correction that blames CBS.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 12:04 PM   #127
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Heís not a survivor. The students who were shot and survived are survivors. The students who saw Cruz on campus that day but didnít get shot are witnesses. David Hogg is neither. Heís a liar and a tool for the anti-gun nutters.
I am sincerely embarrassed for you.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 12:11 PM   #128
smartcooky
Philosopher

Wow. What an embarrassment to humanity and the rest of 'Merica your lies are. The gun nuts must be really desperate to be making up stuff like this.

But go ahead, don't mind us... just keep on digging.

Still, shooting a cardboard cutout of him is bad optics.
Its more that just bad optics, it shows just what fanatic gun nuts really are... uncivilized savages!
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 12:15 PM   #129
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Wow. What an embarrassment to humanity and the rest of 'Merica your lies are. The gun nuts must be really desperate to be making up stuff like this.

But go ahead, don't mind us... just keep on digging.

Its more that just bad optics, it shows just what fanatic gun nuts really are... uncivilized savages!
You are blaspheming against their faith.

(I am actually not being sarcastic, I genuinely think that explains their attitude)
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 01:09 PM   #130
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post

(I am actually not being sarcastic, I genuinely think that explains their attitude)
Indeed. Guns are a religion. Children are the sacrifice made to keep them.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 02:37 PM   #131
CaptainHowdy
Muse

Originally Posted by CompusMentus View Post
Maybe not?

Compus
Then I guess CBS shouldn't try to mislead the public. Interesting that the Snopes debunking says that he had his talking points about the NRA by 6 pm. and, evidently, his parent's permission to ride his bike back to an active crime scene alone and a signed release so he could be interviewed on air. Still not a survivor and barely a witness.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 02:58 PM   #132
CaptainHowdy
Muse

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
I am sincerely embarrassed for you.
Why? If Snopes is right, CBS shouldn't broadcast David Hogg quotes out of context. But their best evidence that the quote was taken out of context is the fact that he's said he was in class in other interviews. Well, that's what liars do, give conflicting information.
Old 13th April 2018, 03:02 PM   #133
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Why? If Snopes is right, CBS shouldn't broadcast David Hogg quotes out of context. But their best evidence that the quote was taken out of context is the fact that he's said he was in class in other interviews. Well, that's what liars do, give conflicting information.
That's stupid.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 03:22 PM   #134
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

The interesting thing about the personal attacks on David Hogg et. al. is that they are so utterly irrelevant. Who cares? Even if they were true? Who the heck is David Hogg anyway? I'm confident I would never have known the kid's name if it weren't for right wing bloggers attacking him.

Emma Gonzalez is a bit different. I've seen video of two of her speeches. They were extremely powerful. That sort of speaking can really attract people to your cause, or energize people who are already there. Even then, they aren't policy statements. Powerful speeches never are. Martin Luther King didn't say, "I have a dream, that section 3.903.87 of the US code shall be amended to allow civil damages and recovery of attorney fees in the event of housing discrimination....." Neither did Emma Gonzalez provide details. She just provided some extremely powerful words to remind people how important the issue is.

But Hogg? Er......who was he again? Was he the actor,who played Motl in the school play? Or was that, can't recall his name, but it starts with k and ends with sky.

What is it with the personal attacks? They are so easily refuted, but why do they exist in the first place? I suppose it's to divert people from the real issue.

As best I recall, the real issue is that some loser went into a school and killed seventeen people, and wounded fifteen others. That's 32 hits in 6 minutes and 10 seconds, or one hit every 11 seconds. Remind me again why any civilian needs to fire 32 shots, ever? So, why do we even sell those guns? And of course, he probably missed a whole bunch, too. Probably more than he hit. So, why on Earth would we allow possession of that weapon?

Note that the above questions about guns makes no references to any specific survivors, because that's pretty unimportant. For rallying people to the cause, it's good to remind people that this isn't some theoretical exercise, that the shooter is affecting real people, but other than that, there's no reason to attack the Parkland kids. But if you are going to attack them, might I at least suggest truth. Otherwise, you just make them that more powerful. It proves you have an irrational hatred of them, but you have no actual argument against them. You can't outdebate some teenagers, so you have to make up, or repeat, lies about them.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 03:23 PM   #135
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Then I guess CBS shouldn't try to mislead the public.
Indeed.

Interesting that the Snopes debunking says that he had his talking points about the NRA by 6 pm.
First, what talking points about the NRA are you talking about? In the relevant interview, he doesn't even mention the NRA.

Second, "by 6 PM?" You sound like you think that he existed in an innocent vacuum, free from contact with issues related to guns, gun control, and school shootings, despite having attested to having been taught about such weapons by his father, who works in law enforcement, and being well aware of significant efforts that the school had been making to reduce the danger, and then suddenly was fed lines practically on the scene, rather than becoming notably more passionate about the issue while hiding in a closet while hearing gunshots nearby and the aftermath from such.

and, evidently, his parent's permission to ride his bike back to an active crime scene alone and a signed release so he could be interviewed on air.
You're not getting that from snopes. On what basis do you make these particular claims, especially the part attributing them to snopes?

Still not a survivor and barely a witness.
What counts as a survivor to you? Only those who were directly fired at or wounded?

ETA:

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
The interesting thing about the personal attacks on David Hogg et. al. is that they are so utterly irrelevant. Who cares? Even if they were true? Who the heck is David Hogg anyway? I'm confident I would never have known the kid's name if it weren't for right wing bloggers attacking him.
I certainly wouldn't have cared. Still don't, really. But hey, when those people are so insistent on showing off how much they want to draw more attention to the issue of gun violence, it's well worth seriously questioning their actual motives and intelligence. David Hogg is still pretty much a nobody, either way, though.

It proves you have an irrational hatred of them, but you have no actual argument against them. You can't outdebate some teenagers, so you have to make up, or repeat, lies about them.
It's certainly sad to see in action.

Last edited by Aridas; 13th April 2018 at 03:52 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 03:30 PM   #136
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

That's stupid.
It makes perfect sense if you look at it from a position of faith in the religion of the gun.

Gun control is blasphemous and its advocates are infidels and enemies of the faith, deserving of a crusade against the unrighteousness.

Axiomatically, the unrighteousness will only tell the truth in service of a bigger lie, so you can discount anything they say.
Old 13th April 2018, 03:34 PM   #137
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Quote:
The day of the shooting, David Hogg was at home and heard about something going on at the school and thought that this can’t be another mass shooting. He grabbed his camera and rode his bike three miles as fast as he could to school and hide in a closet with the other students, filming their reactions.
Just walked up into the locked-down school, and through some random classroom's locked door. Impressive feat.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 03:41 PM   #138
Aridas

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Just walked up into the locked-down school, and through some random classroom's locked door. Impressive feat.
Having mutant powers like Shadowcat or Nightcrawler makes a lot of hijinks so much easier. Isn't it great to live in a universe like that?
Old 13th April 2018, 03:42 PM   #139
solfe
Scholar

So much in this thread.

My two cents... When children complain, don't engage unless you have some sort of teachable moment, commentary or advice. Double down if you have an audience of any kind.

As for Mr. Hogg's dismissive points about adults and democracy, the teachable moment would have been to explain that the United States embraces democracy but there is a distinction. We have a republic, which is a bit different.

Your home state may be more democratic than republican in nature, so your mileage will vary. Florida for the record, likes more democratic participation, so it is a vague republic with some very strong electorate involvement.
solfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 03:45 PM   #140
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Then I guess CBS shouldn't try to mislead the public. Interesting that the Snopes debunking says that he had his talking points about the NRA by 6 pm. and, evidently, his parent's permission to ride his bike back to an active crime scene alone and a signed release so he could be interviewed on air. Still not a survivor and barely a witness.
"Barely" a witness? Was he there or wasn't he? If he was there, and not a survivor, was he killed? So he got permission to ride back and a release from his parents, perhaps indicating that he had an axe to grind and a political stance, and quite possible as is often the case in families that he shared that position with his parents, and yes, perhaps even saw the tragedy as an opportunity to promote it. So what? Everyone has an opinion. Some opinions conflict with yours, and the mature thing might be to argue them rather than to vilify their proponents, to call them liars and frauds. Even if you can make the case that he's just plain wrong, this does not mean he was not where he was, or that he did not do what he did.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)

Last edited by bruto; 13th April 2018 at 03:46 PM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 03:48 PM   #141
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
This

& nommed
Old 13th April 2018, 03:53 PM   #142
johnny karate

Why?
Because of the gullibility you demonstrate in uncritically accepting whatever agenda-driven conspiracy theory you are spoon-fed. It makes me sad to see the ignorant exploited so easily.

Quote:
If Snopes is right, CBS shouldn't broadcast David Hogg quotes out of context. But their best evidence that the quote was taken out of context is the fact that he's said he was in class in other interviews. Well, that's what liars do, give conflicting information.
He gave no conflicting information.

But speaking of lies, will you be retracting any of the ones you told in this post now that theyíve been exposed by facts and evidence?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 04:03 PM   #143
johnny karate

My favorite part about the latest iteration of CaptainHowdy’s ridiculous conspiracy theory is when the professional “crisis actor” admitted in a televised interview that he wasn’t really there when the shooting occurred.

I’m pretty sure not admitting to the conspiracy is the first thing they teach on day one of Crisis Actor Orientation.
Old 13th April 2018, 04:04 PM   #144
Aridas

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post

This

& nommed
Ehh... because of how far this has gone into nastiness, I'm directly stating my disagreement. Trying to simplify the issue into "it's a religion" is almost certainly wrong, most of the time, even if it is much easier to wrap one's head around that than the more complex nature of the issues at hand.
Old 13th April 2018, 04:06 PM   #145
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post
It might as well be. As I understand it (and please correct me if I am misinformed) you can go to a gun show and buy anything you damn well please from a private seller, no questions asked.
You are misinformed. Where do you come up with this stuff? Some states (like CA or WA) require that any unlicensed buyer buy a gun through an FFL. In all states no individual can buy certain types of firearms unless they obtain a bkgd check and wait weeks or months for it.

As I understand it you can buy anything that's on the shelf at WalMart (other gun shops are available) with paperwork that's effectively a rubber stamp.
Maybe your definition of "rubber stamp" is different than mine, but Walmart uses an FFL and a bkgd check to make a sale. Do you think that the bkgd check used by the feds is a hoax? Sounds like it. Or perhaps most people are not denied when applying for the bkgd check because the vast majority are not prohibited from owning a gun?

Would you support increased background checks?
Yes

Would you support a blacklist? Where if your name is on said list for <reasons> then you don't get to own a gun.
There already is one.

Ranb

Last edited by Ranb; 13th April 2018 at 04:15 PM.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 04:13 PM   #146
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Trumpublicans on gun control: Nah it will take too much time, too much money, too many resources, and will not be totally effective if at all, so no point.

Trumpublicans on the wall: Hell yeah, it will be worth it when its done, we will find the money and resources if we cut funding to unnecessary programs and/or tax goods and will be effective enough. Give it a chance.

Anyone else see a problem here?

Last edited by Hungry81; 13th April 2018 at 04:16 PM.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 05:32 PM   #147
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Interestingly, in latest news, here in Vermont, where gun control has been traditionally minimal, hunters' rights held supreme, and the constitution guarantees the permitless right to carry openly or concealed, swords, long knives, rifles and pistols; and where the very real threat of a huge school massacre was thwarted by what looks to be a combination of community cooperation, shooter stupidity and police doing their jobs, the Republican governor just signed legislation raising the ownership age, outlawing high capacity magazines and bump stocks, and increasing the ability of police to confiscate weapons from people demonstrating threats and violence.

Of course the usual gun folks are up in arms, but for most of us it will not change a thing, but maybe, just maybe, it will help to keep a few people from being randomly mass murdered by lunatics with high powered weapons. Or, of course, maybe the sky will fall and society will crumble as it so predictably did when civil unions were instituted....oh wait....

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2018, 07:27 PM   #148
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by solfe View Post
So much in this thread.

My two cents... When children complain, don't engage unless you have some sort of teachable moment, commentary or advice. Double down if you have an audience of any kind.

As for Mr. Hogg's dismissive points about adults and democracy, the teachable moment would have been to explain that the United States embraces democracy but there is a distinction. We have a republic, which is a bit different.

Your home state may be more democratic than republican in nature, so your mileage will vary. Florida for the record, likes more democratic participation, so it is a vague republic with some very strong electorate involvement.
But, what's the point? That's a serious question.

Do you think that anyone thinks these kids have especially great insight into the problem of gun violence in America? I've praised Emma Gonzalez' public speaking ability, but it isn't like she's some amazing genius, with new ideas no one has ever thought of before.

As for democracy versus republic, I hear that stuff all the time. Darned near every time, it's being used to divert attention away from an issue, and it sure looks like that to me here as well. What's the point? Seventeen died one day, hundreds die in mass shootings every year, thousands are murdered in plain old not-mass shootings every year - and we're a republic, not a democracy. Oh, yeah. That's where the misunderstanding is? Well if that's the misunderstanding, count me in, because I certainly cannot see the point of it.
Old 13th April 2018, 09:00 PM   #149
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

<snip>

As for democracy versus republic, I hear that stuff all the time. Darned near every time, it's being used to divert attention away from an issue, and it sure looks like that to me here as well. What's the point? Seventeen died one day, hundreds die in mass shootings every year, thousands are murdered in plain old not-mass shootings every year - and we're a republic, not a democracy. Oh, yeah. That's where the misunderstanding is? Well if that's the misunderstanding, count me in, because I certainly cannot see the point of it.

Maybe that's because you're a Democrat and not a Republican?

quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2018, 04:51 AM   #150
smartcooky
Philosopher

I guess now its clear that anyone who thinks the massacre at MSDHS was just another school shooting had better think again... this one IS different. Previous school shootings have never brought the NRA and its lackeys out in such a ferocious crapstorm of vile and loathesome rhetoric as this one has, as they directly attack the victims.

I'm actually happy to see NRA, its leadership, its members, its hard-core of fanatic gun nuts, as well as their far-right yes men, continue attacking these young survivors of gun violence. Why? Because doing so is like feeding fuel to the fire....the more you do it, the more you make the fire grow and the more powerful it becomes.
Old 14th April 2018, 10:57 PM   #151
EHocking
Philosopher

Its clear that NRA gun-nuts cannot multi-task.
Probably why they love automatic weapons so much.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2018, 07:46 AM   #152
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The NRA is his enemy. Why shouldn't he have talking points about them? Why shouldn't he make common cause with like minded people who can advance his cause? If you're going against an organization as despicable and well financed as the NRA, come heavy, use every advantage and go for the throat.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2018, 07:55 AM   #153
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Its clear that NRA gun-nuts cannot multi-task.
Not always true - they also have time to peddle conspiracy theories about the Syrian regime's chemical warfare attacks.
Old 15th April 2018, 10:19 AM   #154
CaptainHowdy
Muse

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
That's what I thought too. So impressive as to be impossible. Anybody who is interested in this story should watch the CBS special "39 Days" where David Hogg is allegedly quoted out of context. It purports to show us how a grassroots movement organized by the students at MSD took the world by storm but is actually a documentary of how an anti-NRA media exploited this incident to push its agenda. You know, the "conspiracy theory" that these kids weren't making the news, the news was making the kids.

Surprisingly, they did give airtime to Kyle Kushuv, the only kid who knows what he's talking about. But still, I think all these students will be able to identify with Jessica Lynch in a few years.
Old 15th April 2018, 10:34 AM   #155
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

That's what I thought too. So impressive as to be impossible. Anybody who is interested in this story should watch the CBS special "39 Days" where David Hogg is allegedly quoted out of context. It purports to show us how a grassroots movement organized by the students at MSD took the world by storm but is actually a documentary of how an anti-NRA media exploited this incident to push its agenda. You know, the "conspiracy theory" that these kids weren't making the news, the news was making the kids.

Surprisingly, they did give airtime to Kyle Kushuv, the only kid who knows what he's talking about. But still, I think all these students will be able to identify with Jessica Lynch in a few years.
May Samuel Colt have mercy on your soul! It's a sin against the spirits of prepping to misunderstand the situation as badly as you have. If you misread the signs of the oncoming immigrant horde as much as that, then you will walk right into the FEMA camps by mistake. And Alex Jones doesn't want you to do that.

Your post is an argument from incredulity against a strawman.

He was at school at the time of the shooting and after getting home once the situation had been resolved he then returned to school with his camera.

*That* is quite different.
Old 15th April 2018, 10:53 AM   #156
sadhatter
Philosopher

I guess now its clear that anyone who thinks the massacre at MSDHS was just another school shooting had better think again... this one IS different. Previous school shootings have never brought the NRA and its lackeys out in such a ferocious crapstorm of vile and loathesome rhetoric as this one has, as they directly attack the victims.

I'm actually happy to see NRA, its leadership, its members, its hard-core of fanatic gun nuts, as well as their far-right yes men, continue attacking these young survivors of gun violence. Why? Because doing so is like feeding fuel to the fire....the more you do it, the more you make the fire grow and the more powerful it becomes.
I hear this every school shooting, and in 4 months the same people will have a new outrage they complain about four a season and move on.

I just *********** hate how self congratulatory our society has became. We are fighting the biggest civil rights fights, the biggest safety issues, the most important political situations. **** no wonder trump got elected.

Reality check, with regards to any topic of note the heavy lifting has been done. We are at the state now where we are polishing the products of generations past, not breaking new ground. And sitting astound sniffing our own flatulence talking about how important what we are doing is retarding actual progress.

But please tell me how this is the one time I'm wrong. Just like it was the last time and the time before that.

I want stricter gun control , but I know that waiting until **** his the fan and then talking about how sad I am isn't going to do it. It takes boring thankless politicing which is why the legions of really sensitive people telling people how sad they are and how heartwarming the kids are acting isn't going to do ****.

But again tell me how this time I'm wrong. Because if not then you have to face that you are not actually doing anything by "supporting" these kids.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2018, 11:12 AM   #157
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

It purports to show us how a grassroots movement organized by the students at MSD took the world by storm but is actually a documentary of how an anti-NRA media exploited this incident to push its agenda.
These two narratives do not contradict each other. It's not either/or.

And....a reminder......It doesn't matter. Who cares? Why are you talking about the students? Why do they matter? Yeah, ok, one of them gave great speeches. Some of them are really dedicated. They're photogenic. They are inspiring, but.........whatever.

Should it be legal to own a weapon that fired as many bullets as Cruz fired? Forget the speeches. The interviews. The tweets. Should it be legal to own that weapon? I say no.
Old 15th April 2018, 12:11 PM   #158
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

These two narratives do not contradict each other. It's not either/or.

And....a reminder......It doesn't matter. Who cares? Why are you talking about the students? Why do they matter? Yeah, ok, one of them gave great speeches. Some of them are really dedicated. They're photogenic. They are inspiring, but.........whatever.

Should it be legal to own a weapon that fired as many bullets as Cruz fired? Forget the speeches. The interviews. The tweets. Should it be legal to own that weapon? I say no.
But disparaging the students is such a great distraction from discussing the issues that maybe everyone will forget those pesky seventeen dead kids.
Old 15th April 2018, 12:17 PM   #159
Aridas

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
The NRA is his enemy. Why shouldn't he have talking points about them? Why shouldn't he make common cause with like minded people who can advance his cause? If you're going against an organization as despicable and well financed as the NRA, come heavy, use every advantage and go for the throat.
However true that may or may not be, the fact remains that in the interview of Hogg in question, absolutely nothing even NRA-related is said. There was indeed a general statement where Hogg stated that he wanted no more school shootings to happen, but anyone trying to twist being anti-school shootings into a statement that is somehow all about the NRA can be safely dismissed on the grounds of being too ignorant and irrational to be worth respecting on that matter. Well, to be fair, there's also the chance that it could be someone who thinks that the NRA (the organization, not necessarily the members) is actually pro-school shootings. Even if that happens to be the case, they should still be dealt with for their leap of logic in assigning that position to others on extremely slim grounds, though.
Old 15th April 2018, 12:47 PM   #160
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
But disparaging the students is such a great distraction from discussing the issues that maybe everyone will forget those pesky seventeen dead kids.
It's also a distraction from having to explain how they came to the conclusion they'd be able to fight off that fabled "tyrannical government".

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events