ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th April 2018, 11:23 AM   #81
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I bet you it's not.

I don't think that will be a problem. We have plenty of experience imagining conscious machines. And we seem to be extremely good at coming up with expedient solutions to pressing problems without getting bogged down in philosophical concerns.

And so what if we have doubts? Humans have doubts about a lot of stuff. Humans are also adept at pressing on in spite of their doubts.

Changing horses. You were arguing that we needed to solve the problem of consciousness in order to solve these ethical problems. In fact, we're actually pretty good at solving ethical problems without getting bogged down in philosophical concerns.

Self-driving cars are a tool, like table saws or hydraulic presses or airplanes. And it turns out that we are actually pretty good at pricing our tools in units of human lives. We'll end up dealing with self-driving cars the same way we deal with self-loading firearms. It won't be pretty. It won't be entirely consistent. It won't be philosophical. But it will work.

I think philosophy is a waste of time in part because the problems you say we need philosophy to solve, it turns out we actually are solving without philosophy.
That too. ... Except for the firearms .

Hans
Old 11th April 2018, 08:17 PM   #82
jrhowell
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
What if it could create another you without destroying the first you (aka, "the you" reading this right now)?
(This discussion has moved along quickly.)

One is the original and the other is not. That is the only distinction and not an important one. Treating the original as somehow special seems more emotional rather than logical to me.

The copy would be as much a continuation of my current consciousness as the original. Both would be instances of me.

Deciding which would own my possessions is an interesting question. Dividing them equally amongst my selves seems reasonable to me. My wife, I don’t know.

Last edited by jrhowell; 11th April 2018 at 08:33 PM.
jrhowell is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 08:46 PM   #83
LarryS
Muse

Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post

One is the original and the other is not. That is the only distinction and not an important one.

The copy would be as much a continuation of my current consciousness as the original. Both would be instances of me.

Deciding which would own my possessions is an interesting question. Dividing them equally amongst my selves seems reasonable to me. My wife, I don’t know.

We think we are distinguishable from our environment, capable of being snipped out, copied and or transported - however, there isn't a clear physical boundary that distinguishes us from that which is not us. Do I end at my skin - or the immediate array of photons, temperature and pressure? If I am looking at a collection of items on my desk - can you copy me without including those items?
LarryS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 08:48 PM   #84
Fudbucker
Philosopher

One is the original and the other is not. That is the only distinction and not an important one. Treating the original as somehow special seems more emotional rather than logical to me.

"You" refers to a single individual.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 09:48 PM   #85
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Both are a continuation of your current conscious but you would only be aware of one. Obviously the copy is a completely different person and will immediately begin having their own unique experiences. The you could no more tell what the copy was thinking than it could for any other human being and your experiences would diverge more and more over time.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 01:59 AM   #86
jrhowell
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by LarryS View Post
If I am looking at a collection of items on my desk - can you copy me without including those items?
I have no idea how the physics of a transporter would work. Perhaps a boundary would need to be established and there might be problems with duplicating what is on or near that boundary. But as long as it is sufficiently beyond the outside of my skin I don't see a problem with that.

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
Perhaps we would need more precisely defined words to accurately describe a new situation.

There would be two of instances of jrhowell with a common past but separate futures. Each would refer to himself as "me".

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Both are a continuation of your current conscious but you would only be aware of one.
Again, words like "you" and "me" are imprecise at describing the situation. Two distinct individuals would have equal claim to call themselves jrhowell based on their shared history.

Obviously the copy is a completely different person and will immediately begin having their own unique experiences.
I agree completely.

---

I see an analogy with divorce. First there is one couple then there are two individuals, having a shared history but each now going their own way. Property needs to be divided. Outside relationships need to change.

Or with twins that started life as the same clump of cells, but split into two new individuals.
jrhowell is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 02:30 AM   #87
kellyb
Philosopher

Perhaps we would need more precisely defined words to accurately describe a new situation.

There would be two of instances of jrhowell with a common past but separate futures. Each would refer to himself as "me".
Because the two would occupy different points in space, the you that exists from and as a first person point of view right now, would be "in" one or the other, not both.

Quote:
Or with twins that started life as the same clump of cells, but split into two new individuals.
No, with identical twins, the doubling happens between the single cell stage and the two cell stage. Nobody's sure how or why that happens, either. But I don't think we can take any clues from that on the outcome of a hypothetical doubling of consciousness.
Old 12th April 2018, 08:13 AM   #88
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

however, there isn't a clear physical boundary that distinguishes us from that which is not us.
Hmm, what do you base this statement upon?
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 08:19 AM   #89
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
The fact that there isn't one? Where would it be?

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 08:37 AM   #90
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
I'm not understanding this either. From our perspective the physical boundary is our physical body.

From the perspective of some entity seeing us interactingvwith our larger environment, perhaps we would not appear to operate independantly from other parts of it.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 08:42 AM   #91
LarryS
Muse

We are conditioned by our language to think there are two 'things', ie 'I see the tree', 'I taste the apple' . . . we are conditioned to think there are two distinct things, an 'I' and the 'tree' . . . but all there is is one 'thing', all there is is perceiving.
Likewise, we can think 'of course I exist and see the tree', but the 'I exist and see the tree' is the content of a thought, not the thinker. There is no thinker, there is only thinking.
There is only perceiving and thinking, there is nothing to copy or transport.
LarryS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 08:59 AM   #92
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

I'm not understanding this either. From our perspective the physical boundary is our physical body.
OK. Just tell me where the boundary is then.

Will this boundary exclude parasites, infectious, bacteria, gut bacteria, the food in your mouth? Will I be able to find a way to cross this boundary and get from something that is you to something that isn't you? When does the water vapor and co2 you exhale transition from you to not you?

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 09:04 AM   #93
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Which one would own your car?
Old 12th April 2018, 09:09 AM   #94
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Where ever we define it to be. Not sure what the relevance is that "we" are rather fuzzy around the edges is hardly anything difficult to cope with since we do it all the time. I don't have to consider that I need to move the entire contents of the lightcone for me to fly to New York.
Old 12th April 2018, 09:09 AM   #95
Tommy Jeppesen
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That is a legal, political and what not question. Unless I am using the wrong definitions and if that is the case, then you won't explain the correct definitions. You will only point out, that is not the correct definitions, right, Darat?
Old 12th April 2018, 09:09 AM   #96
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

We think we are distinguishable from our environment, capable of being snipped out, copied and or transported - however, there isn't a clear physical boundary that distinguishes us from that which is not us. Do I end at my skin - or the immediate array of photons, temperature and pressure? If I am looking at a collection of items on my desk - can you copy me without including those items?
You must have a huge difficulty moving at all!
Old 12th April 2018, 09:11 AM   #97
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

We are conditioned by our language to think there are two 'things', ie 'I see the tree', 'I taste the apple' . . . we are conditioned to think there are two distinct things, an 'I' and the 'tree' . . . but all there is is one 'thing', all there is is perceiving.
Likewise, we can think 'of course I exist and see the tree', but the 'I exist and see the tree' is the content of a thought, not the thinker. There is no thinker, there is only thinking.
Wow - I was ripped off to the sum of around 1500 quid the last time I moved house!
Old 12th April 2018, 10:00 AM   #98
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

I suppose we shall have to sort that out if we ever get the ability to copy people. Which is not going to be any time soon.

Hans
Old 12th April 2018, 10:02 AM   #99
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
And it will continue to do so as long as copying people remains solidly in the realm of science fiction. After that, we will need to figure out how to deal with "me and me".

Hans
Old 12th April 2018, 10:03 AM   #100
LarryS
Muse

You must have a huge difficulty moving at all!
Zeno proved motion is impossible (or at least incoherent)!!!
Old 12th April 2018, 10:18 AM   #101
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Zeno only proved that if you don't define your terms properly, you get a nonsensical answer.
Just like when you claim that discrete objects don't exist because everything is connected.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 10:36 AM   #102
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
That too. ... Except for the firearms ; ).
Including "the firearms".
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 01:21 PM   #103
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

A human body is a macroscopic object, so QM effects do not apply to boundaries.
The human body pretty much has a boundary.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 01:31 PM   #104
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Including "the firearms".
Really, I haven't noticed any dealing with them (I assume you mean in the US, since elsewhere ....).

But I stop here. I have promised myself not to discuss US firearms policy. Homeopathy, fine ... Flat Earth, fine ... alternative cosmologies, fine ... but, not that.

Hans
Old 12th April 2018, 01:43 PM   #105
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

I didn't say a single thing about QM and you haven't told me where the boundary is.

Old 12th April 2018, 01:50 PM   #106
kellyb
Philosopher

I think you could consider the bacterial microflora on your skin (as well as the other "bugs" living on you) as part of "you". Or not. Doesn't matter. You could define "the boundary" a couple of ways, but there is a boundary, or very finite series of boundaries.
Old 12th April 2018, 04:22 PM   #107
jrhowell
Critical Thinker

Because the two would occupy different points in space, the you that exists from and as a first person point of view right now, would be "in" one or the other, not both.
I disagree. If there was such a thing as a soul perhaps that would stick with the original body, but there is no such thing.

Instead I am a precisely structured pattern of matter that performs certain processes, among them being thought and awareness. If you copy that physical structure you copy everything there is to me.

The individual hydrogen, carbon, etc. atoms are all interchangeable. Only their organization makes them me.

I believe that the opposite is true. There is only matter and it’s organization. Perception and thought result from that.
Old 12th April 2018, 04:31 PM   #108
kellyb
Philosopher

I disagree. If there was such a thing as a soul perhaps that would stick with the original body, but there is no such thing.

Instead I am a precisely structured pattern of matter that performs certain processes, among them being thought and awareness. If you copy that physical structure you copy everything there is to me.
So, suppose you're in a blue room, and I copy you and send the copy into a yellow room, what color walls do you see?

ETA: a first person POV is not a soul.
Old 12th April 2018, 04:36 PM   #109
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Consciousness is hard. Figuring out all of its moving parts is a problem. That still doesn’t account for any sort of qualia.

The “hard problem of consciousness” basically seems to be “consciousness is reaally hard. Therefore: God”

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2018, 04:41 PM   #110
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
Consciousness is hard. Figuring out all of its moving parts is a problem. That still doesn’t account for any sort of qualia.

The “hard problem of consciousness” basically seems to be “consciousness is reaally hard. Therefore: God”
Some people think the complexity is a good excuse to default to something supernatural, but you can talk about it relating to AI and hard vs soft intelligence without it going into spiritual mumbo jumbo.
Old 12th April 2018, 06:40 PM   #111
LarryS
Muse

Yes, we can say the human body is a macroscopic object, but we're not talking about the human body, we are discussing the copy and transport of a person.
Old 12th April 2018, 06:42 PM   #112
LarryS
Muse

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
Now this is very typical straw man / special pleading . . . why not throw in a little 'woo' while you're at it?
Old 12th April 2018, 06:58 PM   #113
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Now this is very typical straw man / special pleading . . . why not throw in a little 'woo' while you're at it?
Well, "The hard problem doesn't exist" and "consciousness is solved" are basically atheist woo.

Old 12th April 2018, 07:04 PM   #114
kellyb
Philosopher

Well, "The hard problem doesn't exist" and "consciousness is solved" are basically atheist woo.
But so is evoking "naturalistic dualism", to solve it. LOL
Old 12th April 2018, 07:09 PM   #115
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

But so is evoking "naturalistic dualism", to solve it. LOL
Which I bet is mostly another strawman.

Old 12th April 2018, 07:16 PM   #116
kellyb
Philosopher

Which I bet is mostly another strawman.
What do you mean?

You think the people who claim to be "naturalistic dualists" are opposing something "materialists" don't necessarily claim?
Old 12th April 2018, 07:24 PM   #117
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

What do you mean?

You think the people who claim to be "naturalistic dualists" are opposing something "materialists" don't necessarily claim?
No, I mean that naturalistic dualism is probably something you made up or exaggerated.

Old 12th April 2018, 07:35 PM   #118
kellyb
Philosopher

No, I mean that naturalistic dualism is probably something you made up or exaggerated.
Err, google it? I'm seeing 6,590 results. David Chalmers coined the phrase, and some of his fans seem to lean towards accepting it.
Old 12th April 2018, 07:52 PM   #119
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Err, google it? I'm seeing 6,590 results. David Chalmers coined the phrase, and some of his fans seem to lean towards accepting it.
Are you a Poe? I just googled "poonlarp phantam" and got 17,660 results. 6,590 rounds off to zero in a google search.

Old 12th April 2018, 08:01 PM   #120
kellyb
Philosopher

Are you a Poe? I just googled "poonlarp phantam" and got 17,660 results. 6,590 rounds off to zero in a google search.

Quote:
Your search - "poonlarp phantam" - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:

Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
Try different keywords.
Try more general keywords

Try this:

466 results within scholar.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy