ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING!

Old 10th April 2018, 04:21 AM   #201
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
This term is considered to be grossly offensive by a large number of women. Probably by most women who have figured out what it means (or actually heard it used). To continue to insist on using it after this has been explained is even more grossly offensive. Not born with external genitalia which were recognised as female, and raised as a girl? Not a woman.
Then are many of the men in this village really women because they fit your definition of women?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...o-boys-aged-1/

Thank god this boy killed himself for trying to pass himself off as a girl. It really was the best outcome for everyone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Leelah_Alcorn
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 04:23 AM   #202
kellyb
Philosopher

I'm not offended by cis, but I don't feel entitled to tell another woman she's wrong to be offended by it, either.

The idea that for women's athletics to survive, we might have to now call it "ciswomen's athletics" is...there's something wrong there.

Jesus, this stuff is confusing.
Old 10th April 2018, 04:25 AM   #203
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post

Thank god this boy killed himself for trying to pass himself off as a girl. It really was the best outcome for everyone.
WTF is wrong with you, Turtle?
Are you trying to get the thread shut down?
Old 10th April 2018, 04:26 AM   #204
Belz...
Fiend God

Sometimes I wonder if that's your real opinion, and you're trying to pass it off as a strawman in order to make it more palatable.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 04:44 AM   #205
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Haven't you been explained exactly what it means in excruciating detail last year?
Not to my satisfaction as to why it is required
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 04:45 AM   #206
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Not to my satisfaction as to why it is required
That wasn't your question just now. You asked what it meant. You KNOW what it means.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 04:51 AM   #207
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

That wasn't your question just now. You asked what it meant. You KNOW what it means.
I was re-checking

These things seem to morph, as I am sure you are aware of.

Like 16 new pronouns here and new meanings there.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 04:59 AM   #208
Belz...
Fiend God

Yeah but "cis" has been around for long before this SJW nonsense began, so the meaning should be relatively safe.

Old 10th April 2018, 05:02 AM   #209
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Yeah but "cis" has been around for long before this SJW nonsense began, so the meaning should be relatively safe.
Lol

The first time I heard it was last year.

But then i am a hick from an island in the middle of no where

Old 10th April 2018, 05:05 AM   #210
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Then are many of the men in this village really women because they fit your definition of women?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...o-boys-aged-1/

Never came across that before, that's really interesting. So the defnintion (devised to include total androgen insensitivity and Swyer's syndrome in the female category) isn't perfect because of a different abnormality.

As with total androgen insensitivity and Swyer's syndrome, rare and unusual genetic defects make a tiny number of individuals difficult to fit into any general rule. But the essential point remains.
Old 10th April 2018, 05:08 AM   #211
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

"Cis" is a term hijacked from organic chemistry. When I first heard it in this context I laughed because I thought it was an obscure joke. That would be about 20 years ago. I haven't heard it much since, but as it's infiltrating into society women are reacting against it because of its connotations.

We are women. Find another word for people who want to be women or wish they were women.
Old 10th April 2018, 05:10 AM   #212
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Lol

The first time I heard it was last year.

But then i am a hick from an island in the middle of no where
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cis%E2...rans_isomerism

It's a term used in chemistry, and is from latin. In fact, whenever you hear "trans" (translunar, transneptunian, transcontinental, etc.), the flipside is "cis".

Old 10th April 2018, 05:11 AM   #213
Belz...
Fiend God

We are women. Find another word for people who want to be women or wish they were women.
I agree with that, though I think you're being more than a bit hyperbolic when you're claiming that the goal is to erase woman identity. In fact, it's just as much nonsense as SJWs claiming that me saying that trans-women are not actual women erases their identity.

Old 10th April 2018, 05:13 AM   #214
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
WTF is wrong with you, Turtle?
Are you trying to get the thread shut down?
Hey better he be dead than screwing with women for his fake trans fetish. The fake trans fetish is a well established position in this thread. Why should we cater to his sexual fetish and if refusing to have his sexual fetish cattered to is enough for him to kill himself how is that my problem? Rolfe has been clear than transgender people are just sexual fetishes and she refuses to see them catered to, so why was his parents refusing to cater to his sexual fetish a bad thing?

Last edited by ponderingturtle; 10th April 2018 at 05:17 AM.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 05:20 AM   #215
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Never came across that before, that's really interesting. So the defnintion (devised to include total androgen insensitivity and Swyer's syndrome in the female category) isn't perfect because of a different abnormality.
Why are you trying to include them as women when biologically they are not and it shouldn't lie that they are on their ID? If you want sex on your ID to be biologically based why would they be female? It is almost as if going by strict biology doesn't work and people can't accept the standards that at best biologically we would have three grouping functional male, functional female and other.

If sex was so easy to determine it wouldn't be an issue of contention on what the real definition of women is to compete in women's sports.

Last edited by ponderingturtle; 10th April 2018 at 05:21 AM.
Old 10th April 2018, 05:25 AM   #216
Belz...
Fiend God

Hey better he be dead than screwing with women for his fake trans fetish. The fake trans fetish is a well established position in this thread. Why should we cater to his sexual fetish and if refusing to have his sexual fetish cattered to is enough for him to kill himself how is that my problem? Rolfe has been clear than transgender people are just sexual fetishes and she refuses to see them catered to, so why was his parents refusing to cater to his sexual fetish a bad thing?
This is always your excuse. "X has been clear about Y" is a dodge, and an uncivil one at that. You've made no effort, ever, to connect your strawmen do what someone is actually saying. Your entire contribution to this forum is to demonize those who disagree with you, which is ironic given how much you complain about dehumanising minorities.

No, the problem is and always has been your utter inability to grasp nuance. People are either with you all the way, or against you all the way.

You have no place in a rational discussion.

Old 10th April 2018, 06:03 AM   #217
Thermal
Illuminator

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cis%E2...rans_isomerism

It's a term used in chemistry, and is from latin. In fact, whenever you hear "trans" (translunar, transneptunian, transcontinental, etc.), the flipside is "cis".
Which makes using 'cis' the result of equivocating 'trans'?
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 06:19 AM   #218
pharphis
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
I'm not offended by cis, but I don't feel entitled to tell another woman she's wrong to be offended by it, either.

The idea that for women's athletics to survive, we might have to now call it "ciswomen's athletics" is...there's something wrong there.

Jesus, this stuff is confusing.
Or we could call it "female" or we could keep calling it women's and just exclude those with distinct advantages due to being biologically male since the whole point is the spirit of competition between females. It was never attached to a gender identity, except by coincidence (huge overlap). We already bar people for other use of performance enhancing drugs, so there's nothing crazy in this idea.
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 06:32 AM   #219
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Which makes using 'cis' the result of equivocating 'trans'?
...eh?

Old 10th April 2018, 06:43 AM   #220
Thermal
Illuminator

...eh?
'Trans', used in transgender/sexual, has a different meaning than translunar, transneptonian or transcontinental. So using 'cis' as the flipside is based on equivocating (I think cis is an unnecessary modifier)
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 07:01 AM   #221
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Again focusing too much on the terms and labels and not enough on the distinctions people are trying to make does everyone a disservice.

Honestly this whole thing just reads like 3 or more separate... errrr axis's I guess you'd call it overlapping.

On a biological level we have the two sexes, male and female. And yes I know intersex people exist as a biological concept but they are rare, often even one off cases and I ever so wish that progressives would understand that "Exception Worshiping" is not the purest form of "Inclusion."

Then we get sexual orientation; straight, gay, bi, asexual... really does seem like it should cover everything and I have zero idea what meaningful distinction terms like pansexual and the absolute nightmare of all labels Tumblr has come up with are acually trying to say. You like sex with other genders, you like sex with your gender, you like sex with both genders (I realized I probably just answered my own question there....) or you don't like sex at all and I don't really see outside of either branding or "I want to feel special so I need a new label" (which by the way at some point we have to addreess is a lot of this) how anything else would fit in there in any meaningful sense that actually defines or describes anything new.

And now for the 3rd axis, gender identity... and the one I understand the least. Transgender, as in used in the concept of a person who wants to biologically be or plans or wants to transition biology to another biological sex... yeah I get that because there's a functional difference being described.

But pretty much after that all concepts of gender identity... do sort just stop making sense to me. Since I don't think biological men and women should have societal restrictions placed on them the idea of some special subcategory of people subverting them is meaningless to me.

Look at it this way. Let's look at once common but slightly older and archiac term that has mostly fallen out of use... crossdresser. A crossdresser was (is, I'm sure the subculture still exists in some context) a person who preferred to wear the clothing of the other gender.

See the problem? For that concept to have any meaning at all you have to agree that men and women are required by some level; social, legal, whatever to wear different clothing. If you don't, if you think men should be able to wear skirts and women to wear to wear pants and so forth... the concept stops being meaningful.

And that's basically been my whole problem with gender politics in general in the last decade or so. It's honestly seemed like a concentrated effort to bring back all the old genders roles and rules I thought we were trying to get rid of for the sole purpose of letting a subculture feel special for subverting them.
Old 10th April 2018, 07:06 AM   #222
Belz...
Fiend God

'Trans', used in transgender/sexual, has a different meaning than translunar, transneptonian or transcontinental. So using 'cis' as the flipside is based on equivocating (I think cis is an unnecessary modifier)
No, actually, the trans used for transgender hass the exact same meaning as transneptunian. Not sure what difference you think there is.

Old 10th April 2018, 07:13 AM   #223
Thermal
Illuminator

No, actually, the trans used for transgender hass the exact same meaning as transneptunian. Not sure what difference you think there is.
IIRC, transneptunian means beyond Neptune, referring to Pluto and the dwarfs. A transgender is not beyond gender, so cis is not its complement.

Nevermind. I just think cis is a pointless modifier.
Old 10th April 2018, 07:19 AM   #224
Belz...
Fiend God

IIRC, transneptunian means beyond Neptune, referring to Pluto and the dwarfs. A transgender is not beyond gender, so cis is not its complement.
"Trans" means "other" or "on the other side of". That's exactly hat "transgender" is meant to convey. It's a science term applied to gender, so both cis ("this side") and trans apply.

Old 10th April 2018, 07:23 AM   #225
pharphis
Graduate Poster

It has multiple usages. According to a quick google etymology search it means "across" in latin, which in astrological context apparently means "beyond". Makes sense to me. Even for gender it makes sense as "beyond sex" ie different than just one's sex.

cis IS a pointless modifier 99% of the time, because almost all discussions about men and women aren't about making such a distinction. Sometimes, the distinction is necessary and having a convenient, easy-to-understand (at least to anyone who took high school chemistry) label for this is ideal.
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 07:29 AM   #226
Cleon
King of the Pod People

"Cis" is a term hijacked from organic chemistry. When I first heard it in this context I laughed because I thought it was an obscure joke. That would be about 20 years ago. I haven't heard it much since, but as it's infiltrating into society women are reacting against it because of its connotations.

OK, so you are actually a transphobe. That's unfortunate.

"Cis" is not offensive or derogatory. That's ridiculous.
Old 10th April 2018, 07:30 AM   #227
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
cis IS a pointless modifier 99% of the time
Absolutely. It's only useful when specifying non-trans.

Old 10th April 2018, 07:32 AM   #228
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
OK, so you are actually a transphobe.
Could you point to what in Rolfe's post identifies her as a transphobe? Because from where I stand, you seem to simply be labeling someone who disagrees with you on one aspect of this topic thus without justification.

But then, you're the one who accused me of defending child molesters because I argued that the word "pedophile" didn't fit the particular case we were discussing in that thread, so I don't expect much in terms of justification.

Old 10th April 2018, 07:33 AM   #229
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

(I think cis is an unnecessary modifier)
I agree with you. Only one needs a modifier and one already exists, "trans." Cis is superfluous.

I also think the labels "male" and "female" are reversed because of ignorance. The two labels make it appear that the "fe" in female is the modifier but it is males that are modified.

I read through some of the language used by proponents of multi-genders and it is extremely muddled. Some definitions given have a disclaimer immediately following them saying "This isn't really the definition because there is so much more to it than that."

It seems to me that language is designed to express, and clarify, concepts and the language used does the exact opposite.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 07:33 AM   #230
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
It has multiple usages. According to a quick google etymology search it means "across" in latin, which in astrological context apparently means "beyond". Makes sense to me. Even for gender it makes sense as "beyond sex" ie different than just one's sex.
I wouldn't use either 'across' or 'beyond' to describe a transgender's situation though, so I guess that's why it seems a little equivocal.

Quote:
cis IS a pointless modifier 99% of the time, because almost all discussions about men and women aren't about making such a distinction. Sometimes, the distinction is necessary and having a convenient, easy-to-understand (at least to anyone who took high school chemistry) label for this is ideal.
It can have a use in certain contexts, true. That it gets pulled into discussion as a necessary modifier is when I question the usage. A guy being told to refer to himself as a binary cishet male is creating a needless subset.
Old 10th April 2018, 07:34 AM   #231
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Absolutely. It's only useful when specifying non-trans.
It's superfluous in that role.
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 07:41 AM   #232
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

I wouldn't use either 'across' or 'beyond' to describe a transgender's situation though, so I guess that's why it seems a little equivocal.
Neither would I. The modifier 'trans' to me is better described as 'spanning.' Trans-gender then means all the area between the two extreme points of male and female.
Old 10th April 2018, 07:44 AM   #233
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
I also think the labels "male" and "female" are reversed because of ignorance. The two labels make it appear that the "fe" in female is the modifier but it is males that are modified.
What do you mean?

Quote:
It's superfluous in that role.
Not any more than "right-handed" is superfluous just becausae 90% of humans are right-handed. It just has a more limited use.

Old 10th April 2018, 07:45 AM   #234
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
I agree with you. Only one needs a modifier and one already exists, "trans." Cis is superfluous.
Would you say the same thing about "straight" (meaning heterosexual)?

Isn't the only modifier we need the word "gay"? Why do we need a modifier for the rest of us?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 07:45 AM   #235
Belz...
Fiend God

It just means that they don't correspond to usual gender expectations. Trans-woman is just short for "transgender woman".

Old 10th April 2018, 07:47 AM   #236
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Would you say the same thing about "straight" (meaning heterosexual)?

Isn't the only modifier we need the word "gay"? Why do we need a modifier for the rest of us?
Odd how you never find anyone whining that "heterosexual" is derogatory.
Old 10th April 2018, 07:48 AM   #237
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Odd how you never find anyone whining that "heterosexual" is derogatory.
Does anybody ever even complain about "straight"?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 07:49 AM   #238
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Once again, humans are utterly confused by the difference between using of language to define things in the real world, and using of language to invent things that don't exist in the real world.

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2018, 07:51 AM   #239
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
Once again, humans are utterly confused by the difference between using of language to define things in the real world, and using of language to invent things that don't exist in the real world.
Well, I'm certainly confused - by that sentence.
Old 10th April 2018, 07:51 AM   #240
Thermal
Illuminator

It just means that they don't correspond to usual gender expectations. Trans-woman is just short for "transgender woman".
Yes. I know. But across-gender, beyond-gender, on-the-other-side-of-gender all make absolutely no sense (I didn't see the stand-alone 'other' while flipping through definitions for trans).

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events