ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Paul Ryan , Wisconsin politics

Old 11th April 2018, 07:47 AM   #1
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Paul Ryan to quit in January 2019

Afraid of what the house is going to look like after the mid-terms, perhaps?

The Gradiaun

BBC

NBC
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.

Last edited by MikeG; 11th April 2018 at 08:09 AM.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 07:57 AM   #2
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Afraid of what the house is going to look like after the mid-terms, perhaps?

The Gradiaun
He isn't quitting. He will fulfill his term.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 08:06 AM   #3
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher

No wonder: with Cohen as the RNC deputy finance chair, Ryan is quite probably in direct legal trouble himself.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...finance-chairs

http://fortune.com/2018/04/10/the-mi...nal-committee/

not only is the GOP not the party of national fiscal responsibility, it also lets itself get bribed by Russia.
Old 11th April 2018, 08:16 AM   #4
Venom
Graduate Poster

Misleading title
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 08:17 AM   #5
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Misleading title
Misleading post.

What's wrong with the title?
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 08:17 AM   #6
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher

Misleading post.

What's wrong with the title?
he won't seek re-election.
not the same as quitting.
Old 11th April 2018, 08:21 AM   #7
Mumbles
Philosopher

But but who will we look to to punish the poor and enable our disgusting president in the Speaker's role now? Who will show us the power of the magic asterisk? Who's gonna carry those weights?

No no, the ones from that photo shoot. You know the one.

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Ehh, that's really splitting hairs at most. He was all for reelection until not too long ago.

Last edited by Mumbles; 11th April 2018 at 08:22 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 08:40 AM   #8
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

He's going to spend more time with his family. That's basically a euphemism for quitting.

This is where the tapatalk signature that annoys people used to be
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 08:41 AM   #9
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Quote:
Ehh, that's really splitting hairs at most. He was all for reelection until not too long ago.
Plus, incumbents tend to get reelected in congress on a pretty regular basis, and he had a pretty substantial margin of victory over his Democratic rival in the last election, so he probably would have won again in the next midterm.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 08:51 AM   #10
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...rep-paul-ryan/

Paul Ryan in 2017: Not going anywhere

Paul Ryan tells "Good Morning America" that he has no plans to retire despite rumors that he will leave the House in 2018.
Old 11th April 2018, 08:56 AM   #11
angrysoba
Philosophile

I'm sure there must be a few Republicans who believe they have sold their soul with their backing of Trump. I wonder if Ryan is one of them.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 08:57 AM   #12
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post

Paul Ryan tells "Good Morning America" that he has no plans to retire despite rumors that he will leave the House in 2018.
I literally just heard his voice on the radio saying he isn't seeking re-election mainly because he wants to see his kids more. ETA: oh thats from months ago.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 09:02 AM   #13
plague311
Great minds think...

It's funny this has turned into a thread about the definition of quitting.

He's doing something now. He's made the decision he's no longer going to do that. I'm pretty sure that's quitting. He's not getting fired, so what else would we call it?

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 09:04 AM   #14
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post

He's doing something now. He's made the decision he's no longer going to do that. I'm pretty sure that's quitting. He's not getting fired, so what else would we call it?
He's serving out the term for which he was elected for. If he decided to stop doing his job before that, then it would be quitting. I'm all for term limits anyways so, uhh, good on him?
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 09:06 AM   #15
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
He's serving out the term for which he was elected for. If he decided to stop doing his job before that, then it would be quitting. I'm all for term limits anyways so, uhh, good on him?
Yes, that is one definition of quitting. It's not the only definition of quitting however. Isn't there a name for that? False dichotomy. I also put in my two weeks when I leave a job, they refer to that as quitting, but I still serve out those two weeks.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 09:15 AM   #16
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Bailout
Old 11th April 2018, 09:22 AM   #17
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Yes, that is one definition of quitting. It's not the only definition of quitting however. Isn't there a name for that? False dichotomy. I also put in my two weeks when I leave a job, they refer to that as quitting, but I still serve out those two weeks.
It also fits the general definition of "quitting" in that Paul Ryan is going to quit being a Congressman.
johnny karate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 09:33 AM   #18
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
It also fits the general definition of "quitting" in that Paul Ryan is going to quit being a Congressman.

I wonder why that even needs saying.
Old 11th April 2018, 09:35 AM   #19
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher

There actually is a difference, as one move would trigger a special election, the other wouldn't.
Old 11th April 2018, 09:54 AM   #20
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

There actually is a difference, as one move would trigger a special election, the other wouldn't.
Oh for goodness sake. How about something on Ryan?

"Quitting" doesn't have to be now. You can quit in the future, you know. At the end of my cricket career I retired. I announced it 6 months in advance of the actual date. I didn't quibble with anyone who said "so you're retiring". Paul Ryan is quitting his role as Congressman in January....and the shorthand for that, for anyone who hasn't got their head up their ass, is Ryan is quitting, or, as I put it, "Ryan to quit".
Old 11th April 2018, 09:57 AM   #21
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Oh for goodness sake. How about something on Ryan?

"Quitting" doesn't have to be now. You can quit in the future, you know. At the end of my cricket career I retired. I announced it 6 months in advance of the actual date. I didn't quibble with anyone who said "so you're retiring". Paul Ryan is quitting his role as Congressman in January....and the shorthand for that, for anyone who hasn't got their head up their ass, is Ryan is quitting, or, as I put it, "Ryan to quit".
I noticed you said when you retired and not when you quit. Just like you, he isn't quitting.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 09:57 AM   #22
The Great Zaganza
Philosopher

I agree it's a big thing: Ryan quite obviously had planned out his career all the way to President. The fact that he drops after being Speaker is huge deal.
I guess he will bunker down until after Trump is gone, hoping he won't get dragged down.
Old 11th April 2018, 10:02 AM   #23
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Considering that he is changing from his earlier claim that he wasn't going anywhere, quitting is especially relevant. You have to wonder what made him change his mind. His stated reasons (teen kids growing up without him) wasn't actually a surprise.

What's his window for changing his mind I wonder?

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 10:08 AM   #24
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Hmmm, room for another GOP neo-nazi?
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 10:08 AM   #25
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I agree it's a big thing: Ryan quite obviously had planned out his career all the way to President. The fact that he drops after being Speaker is huge deal.
I guess he will bunker down until after Trump is gone, hoping he won't get dragged down.
Perhaps he's got plans to follow in Hillary's footsteps.. Spend time in congress, then get a cabinet post (with all the turmoil in the white house, there will probably be open positions following the next midterms) then run for the presidency.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 10:23 AM   #26
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Perhaps he's got plans to follow in Hillary's footsteps.. Spend time in congress, then get a cabinet post (with all the turmoil in the white house, there will probably be open positions following the next midterms) then run for the presidency.
You never know. He just may be sick of politics. And given the revolving door, he could easily take a lobbying job that will pay high 6 figures.
Old 11th April 2018, 10:25 AM   #27
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
You never know. He just may be sick of politics. And given the revolving door, he could easily take a lobbying job that will pay high 6 figures.
He's also had a pretty tough go of it lately. Both Ryan and McConnel have been getting a hard time. They've completely and entirely earned it, make no mistake. There's no sympathy coming from me, but I wouldn't be shocked if, as you said, he's just sick of being a lapdog.

Old 11th April 2018, 10:35 AM   #28
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
There's already one running against him!
Old 11th April 2018, 10:36 AM   #29
plague311
Great minds think...

I hear McCain will be "quitting" soon....
He is, isn't he? Because of his terminal illness he's going to be quitting his position.

Old 11th April 2018, 10:38 AM   #30
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

He is, isn't he? Because of his terminal illness he's going to be quitting his position.
Is losing an election quitting? What if you die in office?

Is the satisfactory completion of every contract and then going somewhere else quitting?
Old 11th April 2018, 10:42 AM   #31
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Of course there is. Stay classy, GOP.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 10:51 AM   #32
Mark F
Graduate Poster

What's really fun is the guy who is the leading GOP candidate to replace them.

https://thinkprogress.org/paul-nehle...-16e1882f2beb/
Old 11th April 2018, 10:57 AM   #33
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I'm sure there must be a few Republicans who believe they have sold their soul with their backing of Trump. I wonder if Ryan is one of them.
No way.
Old 11th April 2018, 11:11 AM   #34
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

There actually is a difference ...
But does anyone really give a quit?

So Ryan's not quitting he's running, for certain values of "quit" and "run". He's still full of it and always has been, in my opinion.

With the Speaker's chair now up for grabs even if the GOP holds the House in November, is this likely to de-stabilise the party in the run-up to the elections?

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 11:13 AM   #35
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mark F View Post

He's a peach, isn't he?

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 11:14 AM   #36
dudalb
Suspended

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
And maybe he is tired of carrying the water for somebody who behing closed doors he really despises.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 11:23 AM   #37
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Mod WarningDerail about the semantics of the thread title moved to AAH.
Please concentrate on the topic, which is clear enough in context, and cease quibbling about the title and calling out other members.

Thank you, kindly.

Posted By:zooterkin
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 11:25 AM   #38
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mark F View Post

Nah, that's basically what I would expect..
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 11:35 AM   #39
C_Felix
Master Poster

Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
In before someone
Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
claims, "He's not leaving in 2018. He'll be leaving in 2019."

Edited by zooterkin:  Edited for rule 12.

Last edited by zooterkin; 11th April 2018 at 11:37 AM.
C_Felix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2018, 11:41 AM   #40
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
Yes,

"The main GOP candidate to date is Paul Nehlen, who has drawn widespread criticism over anti-Semitic and racist remarks and social media posts."

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...lle/506737002/
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics