ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags art bell , obituaries , radio shows

Old 13th April 2018, 10:41 PM   #1
Axxman300
Illuminator

Art Bell is Dead

This news is breaking now so there's no details:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/...ll-dies-at-72/

Always a fun show, and even if you don't believe in that stuff it fueled this forum for years to come.
Old 14th April 2018, 05:12 AM   #2
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

I used to listen to him at night while drifting off to sleep, back before I started studying conspiracy theories. I always found him entertaining, though I occasionally worried that some of the things he discussed might actually be true.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2018, 05:50 AM   #3
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Years back on our department we had an officer who’d listen to Bell constantly when we were on midnights.... Believed every word...
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2018, 06:47 AM   #4
Wolrab
Illuminator

or is he?????
How many of his previous psychics guests will now be delivering messages from Art to George Noory? Or claiming they post predicted his death?
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov

Last edited by Wolrab; 14th April 2018 at 06:48 AM.
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2018, 09:07 AM   #5
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Sylvia Browne can make contact! Oh, wait....
Old 14th April 2018, 09:15 AM   #6
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I remember being in the alt.fan.art-bell usenet group. Total rejection of the mans antics. Good times.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2018, 11:27 AM   #7
RSLancastr

Art Bell died (on Friday the 13th!)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainm...cid=spartandhp

Curious about Sylvia Browne? Read about her at www.StopSylvia.com.

Ever wonder "What's the Harm?" with psychics, alternative medicine, etc?
RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2018, 11:35 AM   #8
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

No coincidence. "They" got him.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2018, 11:50 AM   #9
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
No coincidence. "They" got him.

...and left the body?? I don't think so.

Curious about Sylvia Browne? Read about her at www.StopSylvia.com.

Ever wonder "What's the Harm?" with psychics, alternative medicine, etc?
RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2018, 12:29 PM   #10
shemp

"They" finally got him.

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2018, 12:33 PM   #11
shemp

Body double. He's on his way to Arcturus.

Old 14th April 2018, 01:11 PM   #12
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
"They" finally got him.
"They" finally get everyone.

RIP Art Bell. Though a skeptic at heart I listened an uncountable number of times and never once despised the fact he's able to broadcast a belief in anything he wants to millions and get rich doing it. Which seems to be the issue with many of the public rocket scientists "who would never listen to him." How dare he talk about things too incredible to be true. As if fantasy isn't the main running theme in the lives of many of his shut-in Zelda/CoD/WoW playing detractors. He was a talk radio guy, not a scientist.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2018, 01:14 PM   #13
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

He was all right. I'll pour one out for Art Bell.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2018, 01:28 PM   #14
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Coast to Coast is what led to me emailing Phil Plait and finding the whole skeptical community.

Phil was on debunking Nancy Lieder's Niburu. I sent him an email because I was interested in debunking bad medicine. He emailed me back and from there I found Randi's Foundation.

I always thought the show was neutral toward its guests. IOW they didn't try to make Plait or the CTers look bad. Each was allowed to make their case.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 14th April 2018 at 01:30 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2018, 01:29 PM   #15
kellyb
Philosopher

I think he was a liar and a con artist enabler.

He would present his guests as though he'd vetted them for signs of obvious fraud when he clearly hadn't...people claiming to be former NASA scientists who had their record of existence totally scrubbed by "the man", etc.

Even the night before y2k he was interviewing "government whistle-blowers" predicting nuclear Armageddon and hawking hand crank radios.

Last edited by kellyb; 14th April 2018 at 01:34 PM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2018, 01:32 PM   #16
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Coast to Coast is what led to me emailing Phil Plait and finding the whole skeptical community.

Phil was on debunking Nancy Lieder's Niburu. I sent him an email because I was interested in debunking bad medicine. He emailed me back and from there I found Randi's Foundation.

I always thought the show was neutral toward its guests. IOW they didn't try to make Plait or the CTers look bad. Each was allowed to make their case.
That would have been George Noory, after Art retired, right?
Old 14th April 2018, 01:41 PM   #17
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

While I found his show iffy at best when looking at it from the perspective of filling gullible listeners' heads with nonsense, it was entertaining as hell. Listening to it while driving in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night could be pleasantly spooky, even though I didn't believe a word of it. I also listened every night during a brief stint working the graveyard shift in a low-traffic convenience store.

Whether he was a believer, a con artist, and/or an unrepentant enabler of con artists, Art gave me something and for that I'll choose to remember him fondly.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 14th April 2018 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Dumb repetition
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2018, 01:51 PM   #18
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
That would have been George Noory, after Art retired, right?
No, they were both hosting during that time period. I can't say which one was on when I heard Plait.
Old 14th April 2018, 04:41 PM   #19
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I’d hardly consider Art to be neutral. He’d milk a thing to death and when it was obvious that it was going nowhere he turn on it and pretend to be skeptical.

Examples: when the new space probe reached Mars he had Hoagland on almost every night who would tell everyone it was a fake to protect his book sales. When it was obvious that there was no way NASA could be faking this Art blew up at Hoagland and had Phil Plaitt on later in the week.

He did the same thing with the Hale-Bopp “companion” nonsense. When it was apparent that he could milk no more out of it he suddenly had Alan Hale on the show.

The guy who promoted ‘reverse-speech’ was given praise and leeway in interviews until the guys antics made him indefensible and Art dropped and pretended it never happened.

Art milked Y2K for all it was worth and then quit radio just before he might have had to face consequences for being so very, very wrong.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2018, 06:02 PM   #20
Axxman300
Illuminator

Bell filed a $60,000,000 lawsuit against the free speech guy:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.468101a9c00e

In fact, he sued a couple of folks.

Yes, Bell would milk a topic for all it was worth: The Face on Mars, JFK, Area 51, Men in Black, Gulf War Syndrome/Vaccines. I remember he told a caller that the idea of 9/11 being an inside job was ridiculous.

Bell was just great radio. The night some guy called in saying he was in a small plane flying into Area 51 was entertaining as hell, who cares if it was true?

Shadow People were an Art Bell invention too.
Old 15th April 2018, 08:56 PM   #21
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I never thought he was a Bleever, just a straight man trolling the whackos. .

I wonder if he was a lurker here, or actually registered?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2018, 04:52 AM   #22
jetmanskie
New Blood

Don't know much about Art Bell. Was he like William Cooper? Or not that nutty.
jetmanskie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2018, 06:34 AM   #23
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

About 20 years ago ago I caught a bit of one of the Art Bell shows where he was chatting with a fellow who was saying things like "Alien/Human hybrids will take over the Earth in about 20 to 30 years!".

And here we are 20 years later and there are still no Alien/Human hybrids. Just incredibly stupid and powerful humans like Donald Trump and George W. Bush.

Anyway, it sure was evident just where that TV show The X-Files got so many of its plot lines.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2018, 07:15 PM   #24
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Just found an interesting article on by someone who 'listened in' while part of the US Army.

Quote:
I stopped laughing at this kind of “entertainment” when I returned from NTC. For while I was gone, the FBI had arrested Bradley Playford Glover and Michael Leonard Dorsett as they prepared to attend the Fort Hood Freedom Fest and kill those “Chinese” soldiers Alex Jones yammered about. Both men pleaded guilty. It was not the only such story that I heard: one team leader of mine had participated in a helicopter training mission that Oklahoma militia kooks had tried to sabotage.
https://medium.com/@OsborneInk/derp-...l-7576a4a0ba3a

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2018, 07:45 PM   #25
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Art Bell helped make the world a dumber place

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events