ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags earthquakes , Mexico incidents , natural disasters

Old 7th September 2017, 10:15 PM   #1
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Mexico Earthquake

Looks like an 8+ struck somewhere in Mexico.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 10:18 PM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

8+? More like - everywhere - in Mexico.

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2017, 11:35 PM   #3
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Swarm O' Quakes, actually.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqua...2000ahv0%22%7D
Old 8th September 2017, 04:32 PM   #4
chrispy
Critical Thinker

That was intense. I have never been through a quake like that. I'm ok, but still waiting on word from many of my friends in areas that were heavily damaged. I am relatively close to the epicenter, but my town was spared beyond minor damages. I thought my building was coming down, for sure. Whew.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 04:39 PM   #5
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Earthquakes don't kill people. Unreinforced masonry structures kill people.

And in Mexico, I'm not which side of the line their concrete falls.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 05:00 PM   #6
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Just a quick update, the town of Juchitan de Zaragoza has been absolutely decimated. At least 40 dead there alone. I have recieved word from only one friend telling me he is okay. That is one of around 15 really good friends in that area. Hoping it is just communications being down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juchit%C3%A1n_de_Zaragoza

Last edited by chrispy; 8th September 2017 at 05:01 PM. Reason: ETA
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 06:38 PM   #7
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Just a quick update, the town of Juchitan de Zaragoza has been absolutely decimated. At least 40 dead there alone. I have recieved word from only one friend telling me he is okay. That is one of around 15 really good friends in that area. Hoping it is just communications being down.

I just looked at the map. You seem to be somewhat in the path of Katia as well. (Or is that north enough to not add flooding to the earthquake you all just had?) Glad you're OK, sorry to hear that the body count is already that high.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 06:47 PM   #8
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
I just looked at the map. You seem to be somewhat in the path of Katia as well. (Or is that north enough to not add flooding to the earthquake you all just had?) Glad you're OK, sorry to hear that the body count is already that high.
Thanks for the thought. Katia will hit the other side of the country near Veracruz, but we will get rain throught the center of the country. I hope that is far enough away to prevent flooding in our area, but down here one can never be too sure. Plus, there has already been serious flooding here in Southern and up in Central Mexico for the last few weeks.
Old 8th September 2017, 07:53 PM   #9
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Sorry I'm posting alot, but this is my home so I am just a little bit invested in this story... This is an article about the rescue efforts here in Southern Oaxaca. https://www.yahoo.com/news/tsunami-w...055538866.html Colombia has offered major assistance, as well as Argentina, Ecuador and Bolivia. So far, not a peep from Trump about this. I get he is busy with Irma, but not even a word? (Please correct me if I am wrong on this)

Last edited by chrispy; 8th September 2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 8th September 2017, 07:55 PM   #10
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Was there no damaging tsunami?
Old 8th September 2017, 08:00 PM   #11
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Was there no damaging tsunami?
No. Never materialized here. Waves pushed West to ward New Zealand, however. We had a Tsunami warning, but it was lifted. We still have aftershock warnings for the next 24-48 hrs and constant police patrols, though
Old 8th September 2017, 08:01 PM   #12
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Nope.

Tsunami waves noted all the way away in the Chatham Islands at height of about a foot.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/96665973
Old 8th September 2017, 08:03 PM   #13
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Nope.

Tsunami waves noted all the way away in the Chatham Islands at height of about a foot.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/96665973
Whew. Good to hear!
Old 8th September 2017, 08:05 PM   #14
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Maybe that's lucky since these really big quakes near coasts can create terrible tsunamis.
Old 8th September 2017, 08:06 PM   #15
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Maybe that's lucky since these really big quakes near coasts can create terrible tsunamis.
I haven't seen any reporting (here at least) on the depth of the quake, which if I understand correctly factors heavily into this matter.
Old 8th September 2017, 08:13 PM   #16
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I think I read that this one had a depth of 46 miles and that that is relatively shallow.
Old 8th September 2017, 08:18 PM   #17
chrispy
Critical Thinker

So, my friend is a geologist in Guatemala. I just asked him on FB and he said that preliminary reports are that it was a horizontal slip, rather than a vertical one. If it was vertical, than it would displace far more water in an up/down motion, creating far greater chances of tsunami waves. I guess we dodged a bullet there.
Old 8th September 2017, 08:19 PM   #18
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Don't know how accurate this is, but confirms what he told me. https://www.livescience.com/8824-ear...-tsunamis.html
Old 8th September 2017, 09:06 PM   #19
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I appreciate the posts, chrispy. The news here is so bent on telling us every inch of Irma's progress to the extent of not covering anything else. That quake in Mexico was serious.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2017, 09:21 PM   #20
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

My heart goes out to you and yours.

Mejor de las suertes.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2017, 12:56 PM   #21
chrispy
Critical Thinker

All my friends are accounted for! I was nervous for a few days. As to Skeptic Ginger's comment, I find it fascinating that an earthquake of this magnitude can happen to the direct neighbor of the States, and very little coverage appears. That, and the silence of tRump. To give an example, the coverage here has been pretty broad, with heavy time spent on the earthquake for sure, but not to the exclusion of Houston, Irma and other world news. As an American expat, it kills me that I even need to explain to my Mexican friends the 'whys' of this when I hardly understand it (emotionally. Intellectually, I get it) myself!
Old 9th September 2017, 01:18 PM   #22
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

All my friends are accounted for! I was nervous for a few days. As to Skeptic Ginger's comment, I find it fascinating that an earthquake of this magnitude can happen to the direct neighbor of the States, and very little coverage appears. That, and the silence of tRump. To give an example, the coverage here has been pretty broad, with heavy time spent on the earthquake for sure, but not to the exclusion of Houston, Irma and other world news. As an American expat, it kills me that I even need to explain to my Mexican friends the 'whys' of this when I hardly understand it (emotionally. Intellectually, I get it) myself!
As an addition to this, I get one Canadian channel here and The National, the Canadian news, had as much on the earthquake as they did on Irma. There are some heavily devastated areas that deserve coverage. I do hope we have at least sent some of our urban rescue teams down there.

Honestly, the 24 hour constant minutia on nothing but Irma on CNN, MSNBC, and Fox is atrocious.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2017, 04:51 PM   #23
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
As an addition to this, I get one Canadian channel here and The National, the Canadian news, had as much on the earthquake as they did on Irma. There are some heavily devastated areas that deserve coverage. I do hope we have at least sent some of our urban rescue teams down there.

Honestly, the 24 hour constant minutia on nothing but Irma on CNN, MSNBC, and Fox is atrocious.
The really crappy thing here is that we have one English language channel broadcast on local TV, and it is...drumroll please... Fox! Why and how, you got me. If you guessed correctly, please pick up the million dollar prize.
Old 9th September 2017, 06:01 PM   #24
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

I find it fascinating that an earthquake of this magnitude can happen to the direct neighbor of the States, and very little coverage appears. That, and the silence of tRump.
Considering Harvey, Irma, and the recent kerfluffle vis a vis North Korea, I regret to report to you that you are a Tier 2 concern at best. Sorry, but that's reality. Had two Hurricanes not just hit the US, one - two, I suspect the 24/7 noise cycle/news cycle would have granted you all more attention.

Glad to hear Mexico's other neighbors are responding. Good stuff. OAS ain't dead.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 01:37 PM   #25
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
Considering Harvey, Irma, and the recent kerfluffle vis a vis North Korea, I regret to report to you that you are a Tier 2 concern at best. Sorry, but that's reality. Had two Hurricanes not just hit the US, one - two, I suspect the 24/7 noise cycle/news cycle would have granted you all more attention.

Glad to hear Mexico's other neighbors are responding. Good stuff. OAS ain't dead.
We still have the giant conflagration(s) in the North and West, which has taken a back seat to the predictability of the hurricane...
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2017, 12:11 PM   #26
Wolrab
Illuminator

7.1 reported in central Mexico.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2017, 12:57 PM   #27
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
7.1 reported in central Mexico.
Thanks Wolrab, I have another thread started on this one. It is really bad, because it hit near the CDMX area, so densely populated
Old 20th September 2017, 02:38 PM   #28
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

This has a high emotional impact on me (silly but true), as far as I could see the epicenter was 36 miles from Cuautla , Morelos where I spent 3 years of my youth. So far their paper El Sol de Mexico reports zero fatalities in the state of Morelos. I rode through Izucar de Matamors many times

The pictures from Mexico DF are frightening

I lived through multiple small tremors but never a big one. I was also fascinated by the eruption of Popocatepetl a couple year back

ETA: I read something that was not Google translated, 71 deaths in Morelos as well
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar

Last edited by Dancing David; 20th September 2017 at 03:00 PM.
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2017, 07:03 PM   #29
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Whoa, that quake hit Mexico City with a hard punch.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events