ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th November 2016, 05:11 PM   #41
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
You don't work on the south shore do you? I need an addition.
Sorry. I don't like to work inside of 128 or south of the pike. Besides, I'm booked out through February.

ETA: I will check up contractors for you if you want......

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 05:14 PM   #42
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
And they've been distributing literature throughout the South.

Probably just to let people know how relieved they are to no longer be burdened with overbearing "political correctness".

https://www.buzzfeed.com/blakemontgo...w5r#.hi52xZ9JR
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 05:17 PM   #43
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Why would I attend a KKK event? Also, I don't understand what that emoji is supposed to mean in this context. Could you please explain?
No idea why you would. I also have no idea why you would respond to my post the way you did. Hence the "boggled".

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 05:23 PM   #44
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
My cousin, born of white British parents, lives two streets away from the house where she was born in the south of England, got called a "wetback" on facebook by someone she has never heard of or befriended because her profile mentions the year she spent studying in Mexico. Brexit made racism acceptable but electing Trump made racism preferable. And we must stand up and say that judging people by ethnicity is neither preferable nor acceptable. We must challenge the people who seek to divide us.
Wait you are broad brushing trolling into a geopolitical generalization?

This used to be a skeptic site.
Old 11th November 2016, 05:56 PM   #45
Caper
Philosopher

BLM activist ruthlessly attacks Trump supporter in court.

https://youtu.be/rrtSvCPaygs

Last edited by Caper; 11th November 2016 at 05:59 PM.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 06:36 PM   #46
johnny karate

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
No idea why you would. I also have no idea why you would respond to my post the way you did. Hence the "boggled".
I was addressing your dismissive attitude towards concerns about a rising tide of racism and discrimination by educating you on the fact that a racist terrorist organization are big fans of Trump and feel celebratory and emboldened by his win.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 07:12 PM   #47
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

I was addressing your dismissive attitude towards concerns about a rising tide of racism and discrimination by educating you on the fact that a racist terrorist organization are big fans of Trump and feel celebratory and emboldened by his win.
Where did I express this? I made a comment about rampant political correctness.....

You drew a wrong inference on to me.

Last edited by DGM; 11th November 2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11th November 2016, 07:50 PM   #48
Caper
Philosopher

Yes. The 3 members of the KKK.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 07:59 PM   #49
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Caper View Post
Yes. The 3 members of the KKK.
It's kind of hard to maintain the illusion that these attitudes are a tiny fringe interest after the events of the last year.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 08:10 PM   #50
Caper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
It's kind of hard to maintain the illusion that these attitudes are a tiny fringe interest after the events of the last year.
There is a certain percentage of the BLM movement that is more racist and more dangerous then the 3 inbred morons who you call the KKK. And by far more numerous.
Old 11th November 2016, 08:11 PM   #51
johnny karate

There is a certain percentage of the BLM movement that is more racist and more dangerous then the 3 inbred morons who you call the KKK. And by far more numerous.
3? That's what you're going with? You're embarrassing yourself.
Old 11th November 2016, 08:16 PM   #52
Caper
Philosopher

Well I used 3 the first time so I stuck with it. How about big enough where the whole lot of them could fit on the stage of a trashy talk show.

The KKK is virtually nonexistent. It has ZERO power.
Old 11th November 2016, 08:23 PM   #53
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Sure, if by "embarrassing yourself" you mean "making a great point".

As Douglas Murray likes to say, leftist justice warriors have a supply and demand problem with bigotry today. There are too many feminists and BLM members today and not enough bigotry to go around, so they've got to create their own. Hence, the epidemic of fake "hate crimes" we've been experiencing for the last ten years.
Old 11th November 2016, 08:23 PM   #54
johnny karate

Well I used 3 the first time so I stuck with it. How about big enough where the whole lot of them could fit on the stage of a trashy talk show.

The KKK is virtually nonexistent. It has ZERO power.
They number in the thousands. And thousands of members of a racist and violent organization newly emboldened has the power to do a lot of things.
Old 11th November 2016, 08:31 PM   #55
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

They number in the thousands. And thousands of members of a racist and violent organization newly emboldened has the power to do a lot of things.
In your imagination, maybe. But then, a lot of things can happen in your imagination amirite?

Thousands of members? In a nation of 3 million? And, really, what have we heard from the KKK recently other than the media trying their best to associate them with Trump, and KKK darling Robert Byrd making out with Hillary Clinton.

Protein: If you want a smallish group of fundamentalists in the US to worry about without looking silly, I'd suggest you look into fundamentalist Islam.
Old 11th November 2016, 08:42 PM   #56
johnny karate

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Thousands of members? In a nation of 3 million? And, really, what have we heard from the KKK recently other than the media trying their best to associate them with Trump, and KKK darling Robert Byrd making out with Hillary Clinton.
They've actually been making the news lately:

http://www.salon.com/2016/11/11/save...-donald-trump/

https://www.buzzfeed.com/blakemontgo...kn#.fgna67rW2p

Quote:
Protein: If you want a smallish group of fundamentalists in the US to worry about without looking silly, I'd suggest you look into fundamentalist Islam.
When is their parade celebrating Trump?
Old 11th November 2016, 08:49 PM   #57
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

That's the "media trying their best to associate them with Trump" I just mentioned.

Quote:
When is their parade celebrating Trump?
I wouldn't think they'd be too happy about the Trump victory.
Old 11th November 2016, 08:53 PM   #58
Stout
Illuminator

And now fore something so ********** up that words fail me.

This better turn out to be fake
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 08:57 PM   #59
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Apparently I need to go edit Wikipedia and let everyone know all those pages on lynchings in the south were faked because apparently there has never been any racism.
Old 11th November 2016, 09:01 PM   #60
johnny karate

That's the "media trying their best to associate them with Trump" I just mentioned.
No, that's the media reporting on the KKK specifically associating themselves with and celebrating Trump.

Quote:
I wouldn't think they'd be too happy about the Trump victory.
Yeah, I guess just the one group of terrorists is enough.
Old 11th November 2016, 09:02 PM   #61
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

The number of overtly hostile racists can be debated forever. What is really disturbing is the number of passive racists who are blissfully unaware of how their actions empower the overt ones or collectively work to silence the voices of the minorities.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 09:11 PM   #62
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

No, that's the media reporting on the KKK specifically associating themselves with and celebrating Trump.
So, I guess there'll be 20 people marching down the street with white hoods on. What an awful, racist country we live in.

I wonder if Hillary's "friend and mentor" will be joining them this time?
Old 11th November 2016, 10:15 PM   #63
Caper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
The number of overtly hostile racists can be debated forever. What is really disturbing is the number of passive racists who are blissfully unaware of how their actions empower the overt ones or collectively work to silence the voices of the minorities.
What is really, really disturbing is the sheer amount of hate and racism from the left that grows unchecked.
Old 11th November 2016, 10:27 PM   #64
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Apparently I need to go edit Wikipedia and let everyone know all those pages on lynchings in the south were faked because apparently there has never been any racism.
Right. That's exactly what people are saying. Good point as usual, Travis.

Come on. I don't agree with some of the posts here, but you needn't exaggerate what's been said quite so ridiculously.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2016, 10:42 PM   #65
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

This is weird, as someone not exactly thrilled about a Trump victory, I was EXTREMELY miffed at all the violence coming from the anti-Trump side, that I think in no small part went to pushing people if not his way, at least away from the candidate the mobs were insisting on. After seeing my neighbors and customers' property vandalized over and over I was almost ready to go throw in a trump vote just as a middle finger to these thugs
Old 12th November 2016, 01:27 AM   #66
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Question time: Is there actual evidence that there is increase in racial and similar attacks or is this thread still stuck in posting individual incidents?

And little hint: Don't cry wolf until there is actually one. Some had sped so fast to conclusion they left rationality and logic far behind and are posting from alternate universe.

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2016, 02:15 AM   #67
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Well, this thread went south fast.
Old 12th November 2016, 03:49 AM   #68
Caper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
This is weird, as someone not exactly thrilled about a Trump victory, I was EXTREMELY miffed at all the violence coming from the anti-Trump side, that I think in no small part went to pushing people if not his way, at least away from the candidate the mobs were insisting on. After seeing my neighbors and customers' property vandalized over and over I was almost ready to go throw in a trump vote just as a middle finger to these thugs
Bingo. That is why if anyone has brains on Trumps side (he doesn't have many) they would let these people stay on the front page for four years. I always felt part of the reason Bush got a 2nd term was how butt hurt they got after their defeat (and the they actually had good reason). But they way the far left whined and cried almost made people want to give the guy a legit 2nd term.
Old 12th November 2016, 04:18 AM   #69
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
I see what you did there

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 12th November 2016 at 04:25 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2016, 05:27 AM   #70
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
South, eh?

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2016, 11:22 AM   #72
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

I think you'll need to put together a better argument (or even any argument whatsoever) before claiming that a "Massive Wave of Hate Crimes against minorities follows Trump election." For all we know from what you presented, hate crimes against minorities could have gone down since Trump was elected, or these attacks could just be more fakes of which we've already seen in the last couple of days.

Critical thinking failure.
Sorry, but not "critical thinking failure". These incidents and more happened. That is documented.

Your charge of "fake" is not supported by anything but you wanting to dismiss the evidence. I know of a single case (in Louisiana) that there is evidence of possible fakery, but it is Louisiana we're talking about.

Unless and until you prove all the documented incidents are fake they stand as proof of my statement.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2016, 11:30 AM   #73
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

So far all I've seen is violence from Clinton supporters.

What exactly are they protesting? Maybe we should give them a participation award so they don't feel bad for losing. (and a nice big hug)

ONE protest in Portland involved some violence. That does not negate the evidence of widespread hate attacks BY Trump supporters. I have presente4d the evidence. Perhaps you should read before you post?

Sure, if by "embarrassing yourself" you mean "making a great point".

As Douglas Murray likes to say, leftist justice warriors have a supply and demand problem with bigotry today. There are too many feminists and BLM members today and not enough bigotry to go around, so they've got to create their own. Hence, the epidemic of fake "hate crimes" we've been experiencing for the last ten years.
You know, we have a forum for Conspiracy Theories.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2016, 11:31 AM   #74
Caper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
Sorry, but not "critical thinking failure". These incidents and more happened. That is documented.

Your charge of "fake" is not supported by anything but you wanting to dismiss the evidence. I know of a single case (in Louisiana) that there is evidence of possible fakery, but it is Louisiana we're talking about.

Unless and until you prove all the documented incidents are fake they stand as proof of my statement.

But it will be 10-1 in the end.
Old 12th November 2016, 11:33 AM   #75
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
And now fore something so ********** up that words fail me.

This better turn out to be fake
If true, this is just as deplorable as all the hate crimes being perpetrated by Trump supporters.
Old 12th November 2016, 11:34 AM   #76
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

But it will be 10-1 in the end.
Proof? I can show that those incidents occurred. Pony up the evidence they're fake.
Old 12th November 2016, 12:00 PM   #77
Caper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
Proof? I can show that those incidents occurred. Pony up the evidence they're fake.
I have already posted one that was fake. And many on the other side that was real.
Old 12th November 2016, 12:03 PM   #78
Navigator
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
... We must challenge the people who seek to divide us.
This is an acceptable stance only it comes from a politically motivated position and politics are NOT about bringing people together...therefore the statement (in context to the rest of your post) is seeing the 'us' as a particular political culture (involving the haves and the have nots) rather than the 'us' being human beings who really should look at the way their political cultures are really platforms through which their separatist attitudes are endorsed.

Wake up. Neither 'side' has anything to do with actual unity.

Atheism is not skepticism

Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors. ~ ISF disclaimer
Navigator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2016, 12:08 PM   #79
Navigator
Philosopher

So far all I've seen is violence from Clinton supporters.

What exactly are they protesting? Maybe we should give them a participation award so they don't feel bad for losing. (and a nice big hug)
Incidentally, I made the suggestion yesterday my pro-Trump contacts on social media that perhaps they, the 'Trumpets' (as I have started calling them) should go out and meet the protesters with "Free Hugs" placards...

Time to see that politics is what is really dividing everyone...

Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors. ~ ISF disclaimer
Navigator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2016, 12:11 PM   #80
Navigator
Philosopher

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
This is what the undercurrent of the Trump movement seems to be; some might feel they have been given a free ride with respect to racism and discrimination.
Undeniably.

But please don't let this convince you that everyone who voted Trump did so because they are bigoted, racist, white -trash good-for-nothings...It is an irrational and unsupported idea - one which is largely influencing the present 'Trump is not my President' protest movements...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events