ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 31st August 2017, 11:40 AM   #1
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Banana peel triggers university

I think the USA may be doomed.

http://thedmonline.com/greek-life-re...bias-concerns/

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=9679

https://townhall.com/columnists/todd...-miss-n2375376

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 31st August 2017 at 11:42 AM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 11:44 AM   #2
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Triggered By A Banana Peel would make for a great title for an edition of the Jeremy Kyle Show.

It's a wonder there's any time left in the day for people to be upset by such nonsense.

Well, at least he didn't leave it on the floor...I mean, someone could've slipped on it!

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 11:54 AM   #3
Argumemnon
World Maker

That's satire, right?

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 12:12 PM   #4
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

At just the right point of ripeness, it's brown on the outside, white on the inside?

Would Neopolitan ice cream sandwiches be OK, or would that be culturally appropriating from the Italians? Or would that be Spumoni sandwiches?

Darn, I should not have brought it up, now everybody will be calling me a racist.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 12:25 PM   #5
Cain
Straussian

Leaving a banana peel in a tree isn't racist, but it is jerkish. It belongs in a trashcan, you sister-******* honky.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 12:28 PM   #6
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
That's satire, right?
I wish it was...

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 12:31 PM   #7
GlennB
In search of pi(e)

I don't understand. Who might be 'triggered' by what and why?
Old 31st August 2017, 12:32 PM   #8
GlennB
In search of pi(e)

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
eta: I mean what was supposedly significant about the peel?
Old 31st August 2017, 12:34 PM   #9
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
“You see how much fear and how much anger you insight in black people just from an unintentional image,” she said.
It's a banana peel in a tree. Get a ******* grip.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 12:34 PM   #10
bytewizard
Graduate Poster

Maybe the peel was homesick and the student obliged.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 12:45 PM   #11
Giz
Philosopher

Ah, the students of today. .. the leaders of tomorrow!

O say can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,
Whose broad peel and bright yellow through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our banana was still there;
O say does that peeled banana yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 01:08 PM   #12
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

If you really make a stretch, you can get to "black people are monkeys".

I think you really can never know what might "trigger" a university student these days, though.

Old 31st August 2017, 01:11 PM   #13
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Some people refer to black people as "monkeys", and sometimes use bananas as part of racist imagery.

This is not to excuse the "triggering" reaction. Sometimes a banana is just a banana.

ETA: ninja'd
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 01:11 PM   #14
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Now we are going to see bananas at the protests...

Old 31st August 2017, 01:27 PM   #15
sir drinks-a-lot
Master Poster

So long Western Civilization. It was great while it lasted.

Damn. Back about five years ago, a friend and I used to try to outdo each other by trying our best to get offended by smaller and smaller microagressions. We learned to see racism, sexism, bigotry and cultural appropriation in everything, and even started calling them nanoagressions and picoaggressions. But I've got to admit we've been outdone in the past year by real, in the flesh, leftwing morons with the renaming off anything with the name "Lynch" in it and other assorted virtue signals.

I can't imagine the lives of the people who were "were hurt, frightened, and upset" by the banana in question. Those are going to be some troubled lives.
Old 31st August 2017, 01:54 PM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Student sticks a banana in a tree because there's no trash can nearby. Students freak out, college cancels retreat event.

I thought this passage was interesting:
She said the image was especially disturbing in light of an incident on American University’s campus in May of this year. The morning Taylor Dumpson was to take over as the school’s first female black student government president, students found bananas hanging from nooses across campus.
That seems to refer to this incident. The article includes another interesting passage:
The university also has turned a yet-to-open cafe into a sanctuary for students and allowed students of color to postpone their final exams. Both actions came in response to student demands.
Apparently Skull & Bones conspired to cut black students a break during finals week.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 01:55 PM   #17
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

lordy, College students/administrators can be *********** idiots
Old 31st August 2017, 01:57 PM   #18
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

This thread is racist.

Reported.

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 02:01 PM   #19
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
lordy, College students/administrators can be *********** idiots
Yes, they can. I'm just not sure they are being idiots in this story. More so than usual, I mean. The administrators are in a catch-22 of their own making. Having worked to establish universities as a venue where such concerns are taken seriously, they must now pander to such concerns in order to maintain their institution's status.

The students, on the other hand, are just playing the game they've been taught to play. And winning.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 02:13 PM   #20
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I wish it was...
Then I don't get it. What's the trigger?

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 02:28 PM   #21
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Yes, they can. I'm just not sure they are being idiots in this story. More so than usual, I mean. The administrators are in a catch-22 of their own making. Having worked to establish universities as a venue where such concerns are taken seriously, they must now pander to such concerns in order to maintain their institution's status.

The students, on the other hand, are just playing the game they've been taught to play. And winning.
What do they win? A lifetime of anxiety and panic attacks?
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 02:31 PM   #22
sir drinks-a-lot
Master Poster

It sort of makes me want to sneak into a University and staple a photo of George Washington, another of Mitt Romney, a couple of banana peels, and an Obama campaign sticker to a random bulletin board and see what sort of madcap Rube Goldberg misinterpretations the students decide to get offended by.
Old 31st August 2017, 02:40 PM   #23
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

They should ban all Fraternities and Sororities because of this.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 04:25 PM   #24
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
So long Western Civilization. It was great while it lasted.

Damn. Back about five years ago, a friend and I used to try to outdo each other by trying our best to get offended by smaller and smaller microagressions. We learned to see racism, sexism, bigotry and cultural appropriation in everything, and even started calling them nanoagressions and picoaggressions. But I've got to admit we've been outdone in the past year by real, in the flesh, leftwing morons with the renaming off anything with the name "Lynch" in it and other assorted virtue signals.

I can't imagine the lives of the people who were "were hurt, frightened, and upset" by the banana in question. Those are going to be some troubled lives.

Well, what happened is microaggression2.... someone lynched the goddam banana peel!!

Last edited by smartcooky; 31st August 2017 at 04:26 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 05:14 PM   #25
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Then I don't get it. What's the trigger?
Did you read the article? The banana peel was the trigger.

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
Old 31st August 2017, 05:17 PM   #26
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Comedians in trees! Coming soon to FOX.
Old 31st August 2017, 05:18 PM   #27
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Did you read the article? The banana peel was the trigger.
Yeah but WHY?

Old 31st August 2017, 05:29 PM   #28
paulhutch
Graduate Poster

From :http://thedmonline.com/greek-life-re...bias-concerns/
Quote:
Makala McNeil, president of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority, one of the nine historically African-American sororities and fraternities, said she saw the banana peel after leaving a group discussion that addressed race relations.
“It was so strange and surreal to see it there,” McNeil said. “We were all just sort of paranoid for a second.”
She said the image was especially disturbing in light of an incident on American University’s campus in May of this year. The morning Taylor Dumpson was to take over as the school’s first female black student government president, students found bananas hanging from nooses across campus. Some of the bananas were inscribed with references to Dumpson’s sorority, Alpha Kappa Alpha.
Here's a story about the incident @ American University:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/17/us/ame...sts/index.html

Given those facts I'll give that student a pass for getting temporarily upset.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 05:30 PM   #29
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Article that you will never see on Heavy.com...

Things Which Aren't Racist: 5 Fast Facts You Need To Know
Old 31st August 2017, 05:32 PM   #30
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah but WHY?
Apparently bananas = monkeys and monkeys = black people, combined with an incident where bananas were "lynched" from a campus tree the same day a black student of note received some honor or other.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 05:55 PM   #31
sir drinks-a-lot
Master Poster

Yeah but WHY?
Did you not read the article? It was in a TREE!

You can see a photo of the actual banana in the actual tree in the original article.

Last edited by sir drinks-a-lot; 31st August 2017 at 06:05 PM.
sir drinks-a-lot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 05:59 PM   #32
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Did you not read the article? It was in a TREE!
I surmise that you're as confused as I am.

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Apparently bananas = monkeys and monkeys = black people, combined with an incident where bananas were "lynched" from a campus tree the same day a black student of note received some honor or other.
Fifty degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Old 31st August 2017, 06:08 PM   #33
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah... I got to AKAs & I'm pretty sure I know what happened what with the likelihood of their starvation for attention.
Old 31st August 2017, 06:10 PM   #34
Noztradamus
Illuminator

1930s movie negroes. You know the trope: low intelligence, superstitious, easily startled, cowardly.

But we don't think that anymore
Old 31st August 2017, 06:19 PM   #35
Sherkeu
Critical Thinker

The solution of course is to ban all bananas within a 10 mile radius of all school activities.
Students cannot be trusted to handle this fruit in inoffensive culturally-sensitive ways.

They can also be held like guns and put in tailpipes. There are dozens of deaths related to bananas. It cannot continue like this!

To be fair to the students, they have been taught that almost anything can be used to offend (and some are true!) so they have no choice but to see the world through distorted lenses.
They had been discussing racism and sharing their personal experiences. And then, in that state of hyper-awareness, along comes this innocent banana in a tree.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 06:22 PM   #36
sir drinks-a-lot
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
The solution of course is to ban all bananas...
How dare you say that about The Atheist's Nightmare!

Last edited by sir drinks-a-lot; 31st August 2017 at 06:25 PM.
sir drinks-a-lot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 06:28 PM   #37
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
The solution of course is to ban all bananas within a 10 mile radius of all school activities.
So you create banana free zones?

Old 31st August 2017, 07:12 PM   #38
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Article that you will never see on Heavy.com...

Things Which Aren't Racist: 5 Fast Facts You Need To Know
Is one of those 5 things your avatar and the accompanying byline?
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 07:16 PM   #39
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
1930s movie negroes. You know the trope: low intelligence, superstitious, easily startled, cowardly.
And best of all, when they get scared, they turn white!
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2017, 07:24 PM   #40
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Originally Posted by paulhutch View Post
From :http://thedmonline.com/greek-life-re...bias-concerns/

Here's a story about the incident @ American University:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/17/us/ame...sts/index.html

Given those facts I'll give that student a pass for getting temporarily upset.
More people need to read this post.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events