ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th September 2017, 02:02 AM   #1
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Explosion on London Underground train (while not underground)

BBC News: Parsons Green - Injuries after London Tube train blast

"London Underground passengers have been injured following an explosion on a District Line train in south-west London.

Police and paramedics were called at 08:20 BST (07:20 GMT) on Friday to Parsons Green station in Fulham.

Pictures show a white bucket on fire inside a supermarket bag, but does not appear to show extensive damage to the inside of the Tube train carriage [sic].

Witnesses described seeing at least one passenger with facial injuries.

Others have spoken of "panic" as alarmed passengers left the train at Parsons Green station."
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 02:16 AM   #2
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

It looks more like a failed explosion to me.

(BTW Between 55% and 58% of the Underground is above ground, depending on whom you ask.)
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 02:56 AM   #3
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Met Police declare terrorist incident.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 02:58 AM   #4
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
It looks more like a failed explosion to me.
Yes, albeit a bit "less failed" than the 21 July 2005 attempts.
Old 15th September 2017, 07:23 AM   #5
Giz
Philosopher

Not much activity on this thread considering the subject. Maybe terror attacks are losing their "newsworthyness" and becoming routine part of life?
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 07:52 AM   #6
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Not much activity on this thread considering the subject. Maybe terror attacks are losing their "newsworthyness" and becoming routine part of life?
Trump has twatted, if it helps....
Old 15th September 2017, 08:12 AM   #7
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Didn't you read that Mrs. May forbade us to speculate? Or was that only directed at Orange Turd?

It seems like the UK, specifically London, drew the short straw this year at terrorism HQ. Good to hear there's no lethal casualties.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 08:40 AM   #8
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Its Not the Crime Its the Covefefe Up That's News
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 08:43 AM   #9
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

I've only just heard about it, tbh. Been busy all day so didn't really check the news. Hope they catch the scummy little twat(s).

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 11:26 AM   #10
CaptainHowdy
Muse

That's what I thought this morning when the NYT online had the story about the bombing below the story about the introduction of new ipad app, something about the Amish, and two stories on the glory of immigration.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 11:41 AM   #11
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
That's what I thought this morning when the NYT online had the story about the bombing below the story about the introduction of new ipad app, something about the Amish, and two stories on the glory of immigration.
"An acceptable level of violence" (as they used to say about Northern Ireland).

The new normal. Best not to think about it. And certainly don't speculate or point fingers! (And if you absolutely must vent or get onto someone about it, let it be Trump).
Old 15th September 2017, 12:42 PM   #12
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Have they ever not been since the 60s? Well we perhaps had an hiatus around 2000.
Old 15th September 2017, 12:49 PM   #13
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

"An acceptable level of violence" (as they used to say about Northern Ireland).

The new normal. Best not to think about it. And certainly don't speculate or point fingers! (And if you absolutely must vent or get onto someone about it, let it be Trump).
Jeez, yeah right........

It leads the news here, despite there being no serious injuries. The thing didn't go off properly, no-one was hurt much, no-one has been caught, no-one has claimed responsibility. What do you want us to do, shut London down? Sound the air raid sirens? Ban incoming flights?
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2017, 12:58 PM   #14
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Have they ever not been since the 60s? Well we perhaps had an hiatus around 2000.
Well, five terror attacks in 2017 seems a bit higher than in past years. And this attack seems to be resulting in yawns on the forum, rather than discussion.

Using activity on this forum as a tracker for whether something is shockingly newsworthy or numbingly routine:

We’ve got:

1- Westminster attack – 409 posts
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ight=uk+terror

2- Arianna Grande Concert Explosions – 645 posts

3- London Bridge Terrorist Attack – 626 posts

4- Another van attack – 499 posts

5- Firebomb on tube – 13 posts

It seems that this forum has decided to shrug; c’est la vie dans le big city.
Old 15th September 2017, 01:00 PM   #15
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Jeez, yeah right........

It leads the news here, despite there being no serious injuries. The thing didn't go off properly, no-one was hurt much, no-one has been caught, no-one has claimed responsibility. What do you want us to do, shut London down? Sound the air raid sirens? Ban incoming flights?
I'm talking about the reaction on this forum.
Old 15th September 2017, 01:03 PM   #16
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Well, five terror attacks in 2017 seems a bit higher than in past years. And this attack seems to be resulting in yawns on the forum, rather than discussion.

Using activity on this forum as a tracker for whether something is shockingly newsworthy or numbingly routine:

We’ve got:

1- Westminster attack – 409 posts

2- Arianna Grande Concert Explosions – 645 posts

3- London Bridge Terrorist Attack – 626 posts

4- Another van attack – 499 posts

5- Firebomb on tube – 13 posts

It seems that this forum has decided to shrug; c’est la vie dans le big city.

Which big city?
You know that London and Manchester are not the same place, I presume?
Old 15th September 2017, 01:09 PM   #17
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

U
..snip...
There have been more than 5 this year.
Old 15th September 2017, 01:12 PM   #18
Giz
Philosopher

There have been more than 5 this year.
I was thinking of the UK. Apologies for not spelling that out for you or MikeG.
Old 15th September 2017, 01:14 PM   #19
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I was thinking of the UK. Apologies for not spelling that out for you or MikeG.
So was I.
Old 15th September 2017, 01:16 PM   #20
Giz
Philosopher

So was I.
Well, don't be coy. What did I miss?

( I just did a google - yahoo news seems to agree with me: "The incident in south-west London – where at least 22 people were taken to hospital after a bucket apparently exploded on a London Underground train – is the fifth major attack on the UK in the past nine months.")
Old 15th September 2017, 01:25 PM   #21
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Well, don't be coy. What did I miss?..snip..
Off the top of my head here is one from the start of the year:

http://www.irishnews.com/news/2017/0...-derry-945355/

Can't even find a thread about that bomb on the forum!
Old 16th September 2017, 02:13 AM   #22
Henri McPhee
Graduate Poster

There was an Isis bomb in a restaurant in Iraq a couple of days ago which killed 50 people and injured many more. That was never reported by ITV or any other monopoly media outlet. That's what will be coming to this country unless these Sunni Islamic extremists are not informed in no uncertain terms that murdering people is morally wrong. I suppose it gives the police overtime money, and MI5 additional public spending money, to be paid for by closing all the libraries and public toilets and leaving the unemployed and disabled to live on air.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2017, 02:54 AM   #23
fagin
Illuminator

Make your mind up...
Old 17th September 2017, 02:33 AM   #24
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Two people now arrested:

Parsons Green: Second arrest over Tube bombing - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41298116
Old 17th September 2017, 05:20 AM   #25
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

It never helps.

I see he was (rather guardedly) chided by May for blabbing that the police believed they knew the perp's identity while they were still hunting him.

Makes you wonder about the dilemma faced by anyone sharing intelligence, and not just other countries sharing with the US but American agencies up the chain, if there's a risk that any choice morsel that reaches Trump will instantly be tweeted to the world like so much gossip.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2017, 05:17 AM   #26
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Two people now arrested:

Parsons Green: Second arrest over Tube bombing - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41298116
One of them was released, one of them, the 18-year-old, has now been charged.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41363943
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2017, 05:58 AM   #27
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
One of them was released, one of them, the 18-year-old, has now been charged.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41363943
It seems rather misleading of the bbc to describe him as from sunbury, surrey instead of an Iraqi refugee.
Old 22nd September 2017, 06:20 AM   #28
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

It seems rather misleading of the bbc to describe him as from sunbury, surrey instead of an Iraqi refugee.
"Of" and "from" are different words, and describing someone as "of" a place is the normal language used to describe their place of residence; Sunbury is where he lives. I haven't seen a source yet that identifies him as an Iraqi refugee; where does that information come from?

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2017, 06:35 AM   #29
Wolrab
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
"Of" and "from" are different words, and describing someone as "of" a place is the normal language used to describe their place of residence; Sunbury is where he lives. I haven't seen a source yet that identifies him as an Iraqi refugee; where does that information come from?

Dave
The post above yours.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2017, 06:49 AM   #30
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
The post above yours.
Giz didn't exactly give a source for his claim, but according to the Independent, Ahmed Hassan is indeed an Iraqi refugee.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2017, 06:56 AM   #31
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Giz didn't exactly give a source for his claim, but according to the Independent, Ahmed Hassan is indeed an Iraqi refugee.
Based on that, one might suggest that it's also misleading, albeit by omission, to describe him as "an Iraqi refugee" if he is, indeed, a Kurdish Iraqi refugee.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2017, 07:08 AM   #32
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The British are a good natured and charitable folk. I admire their willingness to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and treat them as a fully assimilated citizen of their fair isles.

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2017, 07:23 AM   #33
fagin
Illuminator

Dave Rogers has already explained that, where I'm from and where I live now are different things.

Of more surprise to our USA viewers might be the fact that no one has been shot. Not even a flesh wound. Disappointing I know.
Old 22nd September 2017, 08:55 AM   #34
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The British are a good natured and charitable folk. I admire their willingness to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and treat them as a fully assimilated citizen of their fair isles.

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
Quite so. What we should be focusing on is not refugees or assimilation but tweets that point out our failures. We should ignore the uncomfortable rather than learn from it. Ignorance is strength!
Old 22nd September 2017, 09:59 AM   #35
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Based on that, one might suggest that it's also misleading, albeit by omission, to describe him as "an Iraqi refugee" if he is, indeed, a Kurdish Iraqi refugee.

Dave
No, I think you're mistaken. The article first discusses Hassan and the other suspect, now released, from Surrey, SE England. Halfway, the article goes on to discuss three other suspects that have been arrested in Newport, Wales. Those latter are Kurdish.

And in case you forgot where Newport is and what it's famous for:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by ddt; 22nd September 2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 22nd September 2017, 10:21 AM   #36
Dave Rogers

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
No, I think you're mistaken. The article first discusses Hassan and the other suspect, now released, from Surrey, SE England. Halfway, the article goes on to discuss three other suspects that have been arrested in Newport, Wales. Those latter are Kurdish.
You're right, I misread that. It seemed a little odd, I must admit; Ahmed Hassan doesn't sound like a Kurdish name. My mistake.

Dave

Old 23rd September 2017, 04:00 PM   #37
Information Analyst
Philosopher

That's the standard way that suspects are described in relation to their home address, or not, in which case it will be, "... of no fixed address." If I got copped for anything, I'd expect to be described as, "... of Lewisham," not "... of Hull."
Old 23rd September 2017, 04:37 PM   #38
Giz
Philosopher

That's the standard way that suspects are described in relation to their home address, or not, in which case it will be, "... of no fixed address." If I got copped for anything, I'd expect to be described as, "... of Lewisham," not "... of Hull."
Seriously? Moving from hull to Lewisham is equivalent to moving from Iraq to surrey? Especially as regards to the recent spate of terrorist attacks?
Old 24th September 2017, 04:23 AM   #39
Dave Rogers

Seriously? Moving from hull to Lewisham is equivalent to moving from Iraq to surrey?
Wow, there's a lot of straw flying around here.

Dave

Old 24th September 2017, 04:37 AM   #40
fagin
Illuminator

Seriously? Moving from hull to Lewisham is equivalent to moving from Iraq to surrey? Especially as regards to the recent spate of terrorist attacks?
Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Dave Rogers has already explained that, where I'm from and where I live now are different things.

Of more surprise to our USA viewers might be the fact that no one has been shot. Not even a flesh wound. Disappointing I know.
Do at least try to keep up.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events