ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags language , semantics , sexism issues

Old 21st September 2017, 08:51 AM   #81
bytewizard
Graduate Poster

Female will now be Feshe. Or Femur.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2017, 09:23 AM   #82
Senex
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post

Freshwoman sounds catchy!
Not as catchy as "naughty young lady."
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2017, 09:40 AM   #83
Argumemnon
World Maker

So a yeoman is a yeowoman now?

Wait, no. There's still "man" in there.

Yeowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowow owowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowow owowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowow owowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowow owowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowo...

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2017, 10:44 AM   #84
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I seriously have no idea what you're even trying to say anymore. You win, I guess?
I wouldn't classify a failure to communicate a point as 'winning'.

However, I did come up with what is hopefully a better way of explaining my main point. My concern is that posts are falling on both sides of a Poe. That is to say, some people honestly think that Yale choosing to replace 'Freshmen' in it's own use is from 'The Ministry Of Acceptable Free Speech' in that it's both over the top and an affront to the principles of free speech, while others are taking it to the extreme and comically missing the point intentionally, knowing that Yale's change isn't actually any affront to anyone. Further, that some think Yale might want to change these other words that are not actually gendered is concerning.

Seeking to find out which is which, I asked for actual criticisms rather than ask each post if if was joking or not (or joking on the square).
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2017, 01:50 PM   #85
Sherkeu
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I wonder how such discussions go in languages where the words themselves have genders?
Good point.

Newer words from English are somehow "gendered" in Spanish without any discussion. One version comes out the winner.

'Television', 'computer' and 'internet' went with female versions while 'telephone', 'modem', and 'wifi' ended up male. I don't hear anyone complaining!

For job titles, I think you'd have to have two versions.

Last edited by Sherkeu; 21st September 2017 at 01:52 PM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2017, 03:01 AM   #86
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
I wouldn't classify a failure to communicate a point as 'winning'.

However, I did come up with what is hopefully a better way of explaining my main point. My concern is that posts are falling on both sides of a Poe. That is to say, some people honestly think that Yale choosing to replace 'Freshmen' in it's own use is from 'The Ministry Of Acceptable Free Speech' in that it's both over the top and an affront to the principles of free speech, while others are taking it to the extreme and comically missing the point intentionally, knowing that Yale's change isn't actually any affront to anyone. Further, that some think Yale might want to change these other words that are not actually gendered is concerning.

Seeking to find out which is which, I asked for actual criticisms rather than ask each post if if was joking or not (or joking on the square).
The thing is,... it's nearly a distinction without a difference. I said "nearly" so let's not get our unisex panties in a bunch. But someone who finds ****** jokes funny might just be a racist, too. Someone who gets a chuckle out of dragging out all these tired old plays on "-man" words probably thinks that they are cleverly satirical, and not forty year old rubrics from the early years of the feminist movement.

Snowflake-bashing is so easy. "Haw haw, lookit how upset all the homos/darkies/hippies/feminists/liberals/(choose one or more) are! You tell 'em Milo!" We've actually had Trump apologists here explain that they don't like him in the least but that he says things that upset the (choose one or more) so that's a good thing. It's a sport amongst conservatives.

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2017, 05:42 PM   #87
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
A vagina, obviously.
Hmm, as a pilot, that's not obvious to me.
Originally Posted by casebro View Post
With the joystick right in the middle?

"Joystick" is gender neutral isn't it? Most genders get joy when it is involved.
Battery operated, or otherwise?

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
the Navy decided the complaints were too much and [url="http:/http://dailycaller.com/2016/12/21/navy-to-cancel-gender-neutral-job-title-system-after-heated-criticism/"]restored all the names.
I'll just say that naval tradition has meaning to people in the Navy, but I am utterly biased since that was my first career.
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
"As Chief Poop Deckman, I took great pride in ordering, "Man the Poop Deck!" No way am I changing that to People the Poop Deck. That just sounds silly!"
Yeah, I'm with you on that one.

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
Manual labour?
The president of Mexico? (That's about a 45 year old joke, courtesy of National Lampoon).
Originally Posted by TX50 View Post
No, because "husband" there is an old word for "farmer"; nothing to do with "a married man". This is precisely the sort of illiteracy that wants to change "history" to "herstory".
Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Bosun mate? Coxswain?
Boatswain's Mate, actually.

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
For anyone who is seriously bothered by this - get a job, get a life, get some perspective, and shut up while you do. And you may want to duck too - that thing swinging toward your head is a pendulum.
This too.
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Why not just go with Frosh, an existing word?
too easy
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events